Changelog has changed

Michael Black

Mar 2, 2010, 12:13:42 AM3/2/10
Who knows what was going on, but today, March 1st, there are a massive
number of updates listed in the changelog page, 25 pages as seen by Lynx.

I don't really see anything to indicate why it took a month from the last
update, but while I'm getting better at reading the changelog because I'm
reading it regularly now, I'm not yet an expert.

Michael

Robby Workman

Mar 2, 2010, 12:54:25 AM3/2/10
On 2010-03-02, Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:
> Who knows what was going on, but today, March 1st, there are a massive
> number of updates listed in the changelog page, 25 pages as seen by Lynx.

Yep, and at least two problems.

1. Go ahead and upgrade gmp early in the process.
1a. If you don't, you'll later need to manually extract the package
to / and then ( cd / ; sh install/doinst.sh ; rm -rf /install )

2. libpng is an unmitigated disaster. Apparently the concept of
*why* shared libraries have those annoying numbers after them
is entirely foreign to them. Kill the manual symlink kludge
in the build script and build 1.4.0 yourself and all will be
fine, at least for now.
2a. I speak for me, not for Slackware, BoB, Jehovah, or Ginsberg,
unless of course he Howls at me.

> I don't really see anything to indicate why it took a month from the last
> update, but while I'm getting better at reading the changelog because I'm
> reading it regularly now, I'm not yet an expert.

Patience, grasshopper. :-)

-RW

Grant

Mar 2, 2010, 1:07:35 AM3/2/10

Got an email saying there are 3 security patches, so I guess my rsync
for them will also pickup the new stuff. Might be worth trying out
slack-current now?

Grant.
--
http://bugs.id.au/

Mikhail Zotov

Mar 2, 2010, 3:54:05 AM3/2/10

http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/slackware-changelog-stalling-or-not/

--
Mikhail

John K. Herreshoff

Mar 2, 2010, 8:26:35 AM3/2/10
Mikhail Zotov wrote:

Take your time with this :-)

John.

--
Using the Laptop at home.

Loki Harfagr

Mar 2, 2010, 2:47:13 PM3/2/10
Tue, 02 Mar 2010 05:54:25 +0000, Robby Workman did cat :

> On 2010-03-02, Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:
>> Who knows what was going on, but today, March 1st, there are a massive
>> number of updates listed in the changelog page, 25 pages as seen by
>> Lynx.
>

> Yep, and at least two problems.
>
> 1. Go ahead and upgrade gmp early in the process.
> 1a. If you don't, you'll later need to manually extract the package
> to / and then ( cd / ; sh install/doinst.sh ; rm -rf /install )
>
> 2. libpng is an unmitigated disaster.

ditto, this woman should be found and stopped!-)

> Apparently the concept of
> *why* shared libraries have those annoying numbers after them is
> entirely foreign to them. Kill the manual symlink kludge in the
> build script and build 1.4.0 yourself and all will be fine, at least
> for now.
> 2a. I speak for me, not for Slackware, BoB, Jehovah, or Ginsberg,
> unless of course he Howls at me.

Hope nobody's howling ,-)
Just a footshoot note here for people like me that also use an
extended for loop-aes util-linux-ng package:
after the update-upgrade, *think* about thinking and if
possible upgrade the standard util-l pkg or if mandatory for
your reboot *think* about rebuilding it _/*before*/_ rebooting ;-)

Martin

Mar 2, 2010, 3:40:38 PM3/2/10
Michael Black wrote:

> Who knows what was going on, but today, March 1st, there are a massive
> number of updates listed in the changelog page, 25 pages as seen by Lynx.

Excellent, an upgrade of libexif! The previous version was 3 years old. At
last Olympus cameras are supported by the Gimp and DCRaw (unless you
compiled your own libexif in the past).

Martin

Richard Herbert

Mar 2, 2010, 10:16:08 PM3/2/10
On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 05:54:25 +0000, Robby Workman wrote:

> Patience, grasshopper. :-)

I'll wait for 13.1.

--
Richard Herbert
Registered Linux user 14329

Mikhail Zotov

Mar 3, 2010, 9:00:01 AM3/3/10
On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 08:26:35 -0500
"John K. Herreshoff" <no...@not.here> wrote:

> Mikhail Zotov wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 00:13:42 -0500
> > Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:
> >
> >> Who knows what was going on, but today, March 1st, there are a
> >> massive number of updates listed in the changelog page
> >
> > http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/slackware-changelog-stalling-or-not/
> >

> Take your time with this :-)

Why wait? :-)

The framebuffer console is screwed up by DRM & friends, and
a printer had to be reinstalled. Other than these, everything
I have tried thus far works flawlessly :-)

--
Mikhail

Ewald Pfau

Mar 3, 2010, 4:31:34 PM3/3/10
Richard Herbert <rher...@sympatico.ca>:

> On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 05:54:25 +0000, Robby Workman wrote:
>
>> Patience, grasshopper. :-)
>
> I'll wait for 13.1.

-----------

Take a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log -->

| X.Org X Server 1.7.5
| Release Date: 2010-02-16
| X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
| Build Operating System: Slackware 13.1 Slackware Linux Project

-----------

Having installed fresh new X, for me this has broken access to X via Intel
driver. This is for hardware with 915GM.

Before, I made use of old versions which are below 'extra', but those won't
load anymore.

<modprobe i915> throws back:
WARNING: Error inserting button
(/lib/modules/2.6.33-smp/kernel/drivers/acpi/button.ko): Invalid module format
WARNING: Error inserting i2c_algo_bit
(/lib/modules/2.6.33-smp/kernel/drivers/i2c/algos/i2c-algo-bit.ko): Invalid module format
WARNING: Error inserting agpgart
(/lib/modules/2.6.33-smp/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.ko): Invalid module format
WARNING: Error inserting drm
(/lib/modules/2.6.33-smp/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/drm.ko): Invalid module format
WARNING: Error inserting drm_kms_helper
(/lib/modules/2.6.33-smp/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/drm_kms_helper.ko): Invalid module format
FATAL: Error inserting i915
(/lib/modules/2.6.33-smp/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko): Invalid module format

Results are similar when configuring 'intel' in xorg.conf. It just won't
start. There is an xorgsetup program. This will freeze access to the machine
perfectly (background jobs seem to continue).

This is bizarre.

So I went along configuring 'vesa' in xorg.conf, instead of 'intel'.

Seems I have to wait. Or find some other trick. Or enough time, to find out,
what to recompile on my own, in order to access X via 1600x1200 again,
instead of lousy 1024x768 - vesa won't give me more than that.

Ewald Pfau

Mar 3, 2010, 4:51:03 PM3/3/10
[myself just a minute ago]:

> Having installed fresh new X, for me this has broken access to X via Intel
> driver. This is for hardware with 915GM.

Looking around, I can see, this problem ist reported elsewhere as well.
Just found it for debian and archlinux.

http://www.vdr-portal.de/board/archive/93467/thread.html

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=710093

When trying to cure it by explicitely loading module i915 or the previous
versions of intel driver from extra deposit, I encountered compatibility
problems, which looks like a different problem.

Nikolay Korotkiy

Mar 6, 2010, 11:04:40 AM3/6/10
On Mar 3, 4:31 pm, Ewald Pfau <ander...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Richard Herbert <rherb...@sympatico.ca>:

I have same problem.

Robby Workman

Mar 7, 2010, 1:46:08 AM3/7/10

We think we've got this one figured out too, but time will tell.
Patience, grasshopper :)

-RW

Ewald Pfau

Mar 7, 2010, 3:05:39 PM3/7/10
[
>> FATAL: Error inserting i915
>> (/lib/modules/2.6.33-smp/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko):
>> Invalid module format
..]

Nikolay Korotkiy <sik...@gmail.com>:
> I have same problem.

Cannot offer a cure the correct (analytical) way, but for me it works now,
after I recurred to a previous .config for fresh compilation of kernel
2.6.33, via 'make oldconfig' (plus 'make menuconfig'). When compiling from
distribution .config, somehow I fell into the trap of losing new way of
access to ATA harddrive as /dev/sdax, so I did not look around for much
configuration inside this version, after I had a fall-back version
available.

For kernel configuration of module i915, the extra tick has to be applied
(in .config: 'CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS=y'). Now module i915 could be loaded and
in consequence I could configure 'intel' in xorg.conf, this looks good now.

Re-arranged the items in xorg.conf a bit, as well, after reading in manpage,
so to have two screens (laptop interal plus external) configured in
two different blocks now.