Why Slackware Doesn't Promote This Newsgroup

Sidney Lambe

Oct 6, 2008, 3:10:26 PM10/6/08
A google search string:

"alt.os.linux.slackware" OR "AOLS" site:slackware.com

Results 1 - 3 of 3 from slackware.com for
"alt.os.linux.slackware" OR "AOLS". (0.25 seconds)

Search Results

1. Document: aaa_elflibs.txt # Purpose : Explain
why Slackware's ... 26-Jan-2005 # # Based on the
usenet thread I answered: # http://groups-beta.
google.com/group/alt.os.linux.slackware/browse_frm/thread/f2b5389
7d1614b93 ... www.slackware.com/~mozes/docs/aaa_elflibs.txt - 5k
- Cached - Similar pages

2. The Slackware Linux Project: Frequently Asked
Questions ... some places where you can get answers to
your technical questions:. Linux Documentation Project .
USENET newsgroups at Google (alt.os.linux.slackware) ...
www.slackware.com/faq/do_faq.php?faq=general - 13k - Cached -
Similar pages

3. Wed Sep 17 02:28:20 CDT 2008
patches/packages/bind-9.3.5_P2-i486 ... Thanks to Markus
Stauffer and the folks on alt.os.linux.slackware for
the heads- up. gnome/gnome-games-2.6.1-i486-3.tgz:
Fix /usr/bin directory ownership. ...
ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-10.0/ChangeLog.txt
- 197k - Cached - Similar pages

Only one even slightly notable mention of this newsgroup on the
Slackware site, in the FAQ (2nd hit above):

Q: Where can I get technical information?

Here are some places where you can get answers to your technical questions:
* Linux Documentation Project
* USENET newsgroups at Google (alt.os.linux.slackware)

With a link to the main page at googlegroups.
And it's given lower billing than the LDP.

As for the Markus Stauffer and AOLS reference in the 3rd hit, that
fellow not only doesn't hang out on the Usenet:

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=&num=10&scoring=r&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_ugroup=&as_usubject=&as_uauthors=Markus+Stauffer&lr=&as_drrb=q&as_qdr=&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=6&as_maxm=10&as_maxy=2008&safe=off

46 posts, total.

But he's never posted on this newsgroup:

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=&num=10&scoring=r&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_ugroup=alt.os.linux.slackware&as_usubject=&as_uauthors=Markus+Stauffer&lr=&as_drrb=q&as_qdr=&as_mind=1&as_minm=1&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=6&as_maxm=10&as_maxy=2008&safe=off

So why doesn't slackware.com actively promote this newsgroup?
And why doesn't Patrick Volkerding, the founder and owner and
maintainer of Slackware, ever post here?

ANSWER: Because so many of the regulars here are assholes who
dominate this newsgroup with the virtual equivalent of schoolyard
bullying. And some of them are usenet vermin of the lowest
possible order, "trolls" who post using numerous names and spend
most of their time abusing and harassing people.

No way is he going to associate himself with this newsgroup. You
are known by the company you keep.

This group is often more of an embaressment to Slackware than anything else.

And the assholes here drive more people away from Slackware than they
entice to adopt it or help with it. Most Slackware users never post here.
Most potential Slackware users read the group ("lurk") and decide they
don't want to be abused by these assholes and move along to another
distro.

Sid

Sidney Lambe

Oct 6, 2008, 4:38:39 PM10/6/08

When it could just as well be a link straight to this newsgroup...

Sid

tTh

Oct 6, 2008, 5:27:49 PM10/6/08
Sidney Lambe wrote:

> ANSWER: Because so many of the regulars here are assholes who
> dominate this newsgroup with the virtual equivalent of schoolyard

As a regular lurker of this group, and as a Slackware user for
serious jobs, I think that you can go to others places for
your bad speaking. Wash your mouth with soap, and good trip.

--
No sig available.

Robby Workman

Oct 6, 2008, 5:21:46 PM10/6/08
On 2008-10-06, Sidney Lambe <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> So why doesn't slackware.com actively promote this newsgroup?
> And why doesn't Patrick Volkerding, the founder and owner and
> maintainer of Slackware, ever post here?

Probably because he'd be subject to seeing your worthless drivel.

> ANSWER: Because so many of the regulars here are assholes who
> dominate this newsgroup with the virtual equivalent of schoolyard
> bullying. And some of them are usenet vermin of the lowest
> possible order, "trolls" who post using numerous names and spend
> most of their time abusing and harassing people.

Seeing a mirror there?

> No way is he going to associate himself with this newsgroup. You
> are known by the company you keep.

So go away and improve the company I'm keeping.

> This group is often more of an embaressment to Slackware than anything else.

and to your spelling skills, it seems.

> And the assholes here drive more people away from Slackware than they
> entice to adopt it or help with it. Most Slackware users never post here.

There are at least three Slackware team members who post here on
a somewhat regular basis, but I suppose facts and logic aren't
going to convince you, are they? After all, nothing's changed since
the last time I mentioned to you that "you can reason someone out of
something they weren't reasoned into..."

-RW

Simon Sibbez

Oct 6, 2008, 6:16:14 PM10/6/08
Sidney Lambe wrote:

> Most potential Slackware users read the group ("lurk") and
> decide they don't want to be abused by these assholes and move along
> to another distro.

I dare say there's something wrong with you when you base your choice
of distro on that.

And we need assholes, just to keep the insult alive.

S.

Peter Chant

Oct 6, 2008, 8:10:27 PM10/6/08
Sidney Lambe wrote:

> ANSWER: Because so many of the regulars here are assholes who
> dominate this newsgroup with the virtual equivalent of schoolyard
> bullying. And some of them are usenet vermin of the lowest
> possible order, "trolls" who post using numerous names and spend
> most of their time abusing and harassing people.

What's the beef? Did Slackware run off with your missus or something?

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Message has been deleted

m...@privacy.net

Oct 6, 2008, 11:47:34 PM10/6/08

Sidney Lambe wrote:
>ANSWER: Because so many of the regulars here are assholes who
>dominate this newsgroup with the virtual equivalent of schoolyard
>bullying. And some of them are usenet vermin of the lowest
>possible order, "trolls" who post using numerous names and spend
>most of their time abusing and harassing people.
>
>No way is he going to associate himself with this newsgroup. You
>are known by the company you keep.
>
>This group is often more of an embaressment to Slackware than anything else.
>
>And the assholes here drive more people away from Slackware than they
>entice to adopt it or help with it. Most Slackware users never post here.
>Most potential Slackware users read the group ("lurk") and decide they
>don't want to be abused by these assholes and move along to another
>distro.

Drama Queen.

Dan C

Oct 6, 2008, 11:55:55 PM10/6/08
On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 12:10:26 -0700, Sidney Lambe wrote:

> This group is often more of an embaressment to Slackware than anything
> else.

You're an embarrassment to the human species, you ignorant fucking whacko.
Shouldn't you be out searching for Sasquatch? Did the mean bastards in
the white coats stop your "field trips"?

> And the assholes here drive more people away from Slackware than they
> entice to adopt it or help with it. Most Slackware users never post
> here. Most potential Slackware users read the group ("lurk") and decide
> they don't want to be abused by these assholes and move along to another
> distro.

Fuck off, Alan Connor. Or is it Tom Newton? Oh, it's Sidney Lambe.

Take your medicine, and go to bed, you worthless stooge.

--
"Sidney Lambe" ("Tom Newton") - the latest nymshift of "Alan Connor".
Read more about the netkook Alan Connor here:

Robby Workman

Oct 7, 2008, 12:48:37 AM10/7/08
On 2008-10-06, Robby Workman <newsg...@rlworkman.net> wrote:

> a somewhat regular basis, but I suppose facts and logic aren't
> going to convince you, are they? After all, nothing's changed since
> the last time I mentioned to you that "you can reason someone out of
> something they weren't reasoned into..."

And... just damn.

Of course I make a mistake like that after poking fun at someone
else's typing skills. For those who didn't catch it, that should
read "you CAN'T reason someone out of something they weren't reasoned
into..."

-RW

Simon Sibbez

Oct 7, 2008, 6:13:12 AM10/7/08
Robby Workman wrote:

But you can indeed. In fact, that's what makes this newsgroup so
special and literally guarantees its special-case treatment.

S.

Leonard the Committed

Oct 8, 2008, 7:31:08 PM10/8/08
> And why doesn't Patrick Volkerding, the founder and owner and
> maintainer of Slackware, ever post here?

My best guess, and mind you, this is just a GUESS, is that he is A)
maintaining a distro A) he is a member of a family A) he'd rather spend
his time trading boobtlegs of burned out washed up hippie jam bands or
finally, A) There's a reality TV show about Texas based UFO dommsday
cults on right now.

Message has been deleted

Mark Madsen

Oct 9, 2008, 1:40:29 AM10/9/08
On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 12:10:26 -0700, Sidney Lambe wrote:

> And why doesn't Patrick Volkerding, the founder and owner and maintainer
> of Slackware, ever post here?

The word "ever" means the statement can be disproved by a single counter-
example, so the above statement is false. PV has posted here.
Incredibly infrequently, but a non-zero number of times. GIYF.

r...@big.justlinux.ca

Oct 9, 2008, 7:16:19 AM10/9/08
Res <r...@ausics.net> trolled:

> On Thu, 8 Oct 2008, Leonard the Committed wrote:
>
>> My best guess, and mind you, this is just a GUESS, is that he is A)
>> maintaining a distro A) he is a member of a family A) he'd rather spend
>> his time trading boobtlegs of burned out washed up hippie jam bands or
>> finally, A) There's a reality TV show about Texas based UFO dommsday
>> cults on right now.
>
> gawd..if you were Pat, would you associate with us bunch of misfits :P

First of all, there is no "us" where you are concerned, doofus.
Second, "Pat" is not gawd or God or anything else like that. And
since you don't have to worship him, we have to ask you, why do you
worship him so?

cordially, even to the small fry,

rm

Dan C

Oct 9, 2008, 8:40:59 AM10/9/08
On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 11:16:19 +0000, rm wrote:

> cordially, even to the small fry,

It lives!

Dammit.

Message has been deleted