Pat Volkerding interview

notbob

Oct 27, 2006, 9:09:50 AM10/27/06
Here's a phone interview with Pat from Wednesday evening, downloadable
in chatlog, mp3, or ogg format. It's "Episode# 164 on 10-25-06" in
the "Downloads:" section. Enjoy.

http://tllts.org/

nb

ruhar

Oct 27, 2006, 11:26:18 AM10/27/06
It is a phenomenal interview. A rare chance to hear it from the
horse's mouth. He discusses a variety of topics including:
* Kernel 2.4 v. 2.6
* Inclusion of Udev
* Exclusion of Gnome
* Third party repos
* The Slackware philosophy
* Building Banjos!!!

reclusive monkey

Oct 27, 2006, 2:40:36 PM10/27/06

Thanks for the heads up. I can almost hear "the man's" voice ;-)

Jason Hoss

Oct 27, 2006, 3:01:58 PM10/27/06
notbob wrote:

It was an excellent interview. Good to get some insight from Pat as to why
kernel 2.4 and why he does things in Slackware that he does. Kudos to the
Slackware team for a great distribution. Using Slackware 11 and loving it!

Gecko

Daniel

Oct 27, 2006, 5:30:24 PM10/27/06
Thanks notbob!

Daniel

Oct 27, 2006, 5:45:28 PM10/27/06
Thank you notbob!

reclusive monkey

Oct 27, 2006, 7:35:40 PM10/27/06
My personal favourite quote;

"the principal of least astonishment"

Mikhail Zotov

Oct 28, 2006, 1:53:49 PM10/28/06
On 27 Oct 2006 14:45:28 -0700
"Daniel" <daniel...@gmail.com> wrote:

Einstein shares you point of view

http://slackworld.berlios.de/2006/rocks.jpg

:-)

-- M

paul wisehart

Oct 28, 2006, 3:45:59 PM10/28/06
reclusive monkey wrote:
> My personal favourite quote;
>
> "the principal of least astonishment"

I like when its called Occam's Razor.
sounds cool.

--
paul w

bgeer

Oct 28, 2006, 4:37:31 PM10/28/06
"reclusive monkey" <reclusiv...@gmail.com> writes:

Any pictures of the man around? Inquiring minds want to know...:-)
--
<> Robert Geer & Donna Tomky | |||| We sure |||| <>
<> bg...@xmission.com | == == find it == == <>

Mikhail Zotov

Oct 28, 2006, 4:49:18 PM10/28/06
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 20:37:31 +0000 (UTC)
bgeer <bg...@xmission.com> wrote:
> Any pictures of the man around? Inquiring minds want to know...:-)

A couple there:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2750
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Volkerding

Realto Margarino

Oct 28, 2006, 4:53:34 PM10/28/06
bgeer <bg...@xmission.com> trolled:

> "reclusive monkey" <reclusiv...@gmail.com> writes:
> >On Oct 27, 2:09 pm, notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:

> >> Here's a phone interview with Pat from Wednesday evening,
> >> downloadable in chatlog, mp3, or ogg format. It's "Episode#
> >> 164 on 10-25-06" in the "Downloads:" section. Enjoy.

> >Thanks for the heads up. I can almost hear "the man's" voice ;-)

> Any pictures of the man around? Inquiring minds want to
> know...:-)

Why? Do you need some masturbation aids?

cordially, even to trash,

rm

Handover Phist

Oct 28, 2006, 5:50:19 PM10/28/06
Mikhail Zotov :

Holy crap, he could be my brother.

--
PARDON me, am I speaking ENGLISH?

http://www.websterscafe.com

Old Man

Oct 28, 2006, 6:17:31 PM10/28/06

http://tinyurl.com/tguc9

--
Old Man

"I could be wrong again
I remember once in August 1993
I was wrong, and I could be wrong again" - Paul Simon

Rich Grise

Oct 29, 2006, 6:31:48 PM10/29/06
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 18:17:31 -0400, Old Man wrote:

> bgeer wrote:
>
>> Any pictures of the man around? Inquiring minds want to know...:-)
>
> http://tinyurl.com/tguc9

You mean, he's actually two boys?

???????
Rich

Dan C

Oct 29, 2006, 6:57:43 PM10/29/06
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 18:17:31 -0400, Old Man wrote:

>> Any pictures of the man around? Inquiring minds want to know...:-)

> http://tinyurl.com/tguc9

Damn, who's the dude with the pyscho eyes on the left?

--
"Ubuntu" - An African word meaning "Slackware is too hard for me."

Message has been deleted

bgeer

Oct 30, 2006, 2:20:35 PM10/30/06
Realto Margarino <r...@youasked.org> writes:

Do you really have so little to do, are you really so humorless?

notbob

Oct 31, 2006, 12:15:08 PM10/31/06
On 2006-10-29, Dan C <youmust...@invalid.lan> wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 18:17:31 -0400, Old Man wrote:

>> http://tinyurl.com/tguc9
>
> Damn, who's the dude with the pyscho eyes on the left?

Looks like Judge Doom's kid.

nb

Realto Margarino

Oct 31, 2006, 2:39:47 PM10/31/06
bgeer <bg...@xmission.com> trolled:
> Realto Margarino <r...@youasked.org> writes:

Why else would you want a picture of him? Are you a madman that
wants to order a hit? Why do you want a picture of a computer
programmer? Aren't there enough pictures of Bill Gates around to
satisfy you?

cordially, as always,

rm

Message has been deleted

Michael Black

Oct 31, 2006, 11:42:07 PM10/31/06
~kurt (actino...@earthlink.net) writes:

> Realto Margarino <r...@youasked.org> wrote:
>>
>> Why else would you want a picture of him? Are you a madman that
>> wants to order a hit? Why do you want a picture of a computer
>
> It is kinda nice to know what The Man looks like. People like to associate
> faces with names. I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of you.

>> programmer? Aren't there enough pictures of Bill Gates around to
>> satisfy you?
>
> I thought Bill Gates was more of a business man than a programmer.

Not in the beginning, though he may have been an opportunist.

"Swiftwater Bill" was interested in computers as computers from
a young age (well, as young as is mostly possible before home
computers came along), and before doing the BASIC for the Altair
8800, he'd done some software as a teenager.

Of course, the funny thing is that you can take a picture of
him from when he was a kid, around the time of the famous letter
to the computer hobbyists, and he doesn't look that much different
now. He still looks mostly the same, and still looks a lot like
a kid.

Michael

Message has been deleted

Glyn Millington

Nov 1, 2006, 4:23:18 AM11/1/06
~kurt <actino...@earthlink.net> writes:

> Realto Margarino <r...@youasked.org> wrote:
>>
>> Why else would you want a picture of him? Are you a madman that
>> wants to order a hit? Why do you want a picture of a computer
>

> It is kinda nice to know what The Man looks like. People like to associate
> faces with names. I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of you.

.-.
| \ __
( `\ / |
\ \ / |
| | `\ / /
| |\ \ /` / /
| | \ \ ./' / /
| | \ \ / _/| |
| | \ \ /' _/ | |
| | \ \ /' / / )
| ( \ \ / / / /
( \ \ \ / / / /
\ \ ) ) / / / /
\ \ | | / / / /
\ \ | | / / / /
\ \ | | / / / /
\ \ | | ( / / /'
\ \| | | / /' /'
\ \ /`. |`. \/' /'
\ `-;-;-; /'
`\ <
> .-"-. .-\
/ .' ,__ ` \
| | \ /\
| |__ \ |_ \
_.------.._| o\ | |o`|\_
,-`. `. | | | |''`'-._._
_.-'. `:_|.__|/`'.-- - ;_ `
' ' ``--.```--.. \/`..--''' ; `-.
.-``. -.,-..__._.._._.__. ;`-.
' `. `; | | | .' `
`. `-.| | | _'
`.._ . `--''`_.-'
``--._`-...-'"
jgs ;: ;

http://www.ascii-art.de/

:-)

atb

Glyn
--
RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
GAFC http://slackbook.org/ The Official Source :-)

Message has been deleted

Glyn Millington

Nov 2, 2006, 4:08:17 AM11/2/06
~kurt <actino...@earthlink.net> writes:

> Glyn Millington <wista...@linuxmail.org> wrote:
>>

>>:-)
>>

> I was thinking more along the lines of this:

:-) LOL!!!

Theodore Heise

Nov 5, 2006, 10:28:27 AM11/5/06
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 21:50:19 GMT,
Handover Phist <ja...@jason.websterscafe.com> wrote:
> Mikhail Zotov :
>> On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 20:37:31 +0000 (UTC)
>> bgeer <bg...@xmission.com> wrote:
>>> Any pictures of the man around? Inquiring minds want to know...:-)
>>
>> A couple there:
>>
>> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2750
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Volkerding
>
> Holy crap, he could be my brother.

A definite resemblance.

--
Theodore (Ted) Heise <th...@heise.nu> Bloomington, IN, USA

Faux_Pseudo

Nov 7, 2006, 7:58:08 PM11/7/06
_.-In alt.os.linux.slackware, ~kurt wrote the following -._

> Dan C <youmust...@invalid.lan> wrote:
>>
>> Damn, who's the dude with the pyscho eyes on the left?
>
> Not sure, but Pat is almost as skinny as Faux....

I have gained some pounds. Now only 5 pounds away from my goal of
185.
http://www.fauxascii.com/photo/inorganic.washington.sep-2006.piller.0886.jpg
From my trip to DC last month:
http://www.fauxascii.com/photo/washington.html

Not sure when that picture of Pat was taken but if it was after his
health problems then his weight isn't suprising.

Maybe he needs less beer http://www.fauxascii.com/beer_plant/
and more food http://www.fauxascii.com/food/

--
=()==()==()==()==()- http://fauxascii.com
\ \ \ \ \ \ ASCII artist

Faux_Pseudo

Nov 7, 2006, 8:03:36 PM11/7/06

_.-In alt.os.linux.slackware, ~kurt wrote the following -._

> I was thinking more along the lines of this:

><http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/4942/ascii.htm>

If there is one thing I can't stand it is bad quality ascii pr0n.
For better resolution ascii pr0n there is always my websites archive:
http://fauxascii.com/ascii/pr0n

.--.-.\
.='/_ .-'\
/ /' - --.`\