Printing with cups & V12

Lez

Jul 9, 2007, 1:35:48 PM7/9/07
I have a networked remote PC with slack v10.2 working fine (printing
etc)
I had V11 on local PC working fine.
I have install V12 & can't get it to print.
I am using cups, when I try set it up in webmin I get an error "Failed
to save printer : '/etc/cups/ppd/hp960c.ppd' does not exist" but the
file does!
When I set it up using control center it all looks OK till I print & I
get on error in "jobs" stating job-stopped.
I can't give you any more than that.
If I connect using remote:631 & test print if works, if I do it local,
I get quota limit reached.
I have no idea what to do, this hasn't happened before, Has anybody
had problems with V12.

Thanks in advance
Lez

Ken P

Jul 9, 2007, 2:05:24 PM7/9/07
This is what I have been doing with 2 hp printers, HP-855C and
HP-952C. May not be the right way but it is working for me.

As root#... "hp-setup" just follow the directions. If you are using
parallel port and it is not being detected by "hp-setup", then try
'modprobe ppdev" this is all I have to do and it has been working on
several loads of Slackware 12.0.

This is assuming that you are running rc.hplip.

HTH

Ken P

Ron Gibson

Jul 9, 2007, 3:35:23 PM7/9/07
On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 18:05:24 +0000, Ken P wrote:

> This is what I have been doing with 2 hp printers, HP-855C and HP-952C.
> May not be the right way but it is working for me.

> As root#... "hp-setup" just follow the directions. If you are using
> parallel port and it is not being detected by "hp-setup", then try
> 'modprobe ppdev" this is all I have to do and it has been working on
> several loads of Slackware 12.0.
>
> This is assuming that you are running rc.hplip.

Looks like CUPS is choking. I had similar problems with a old HP500C
on LPT1 (machine #2 on LAN, named HAL) which for gawds sakes has been
working for a decade.

I had a problem with printing with an HP5440 (Machine #1, CRAY).

I did a test install of OpenSuse 10.1 and CRAY refused to print at all.
Error was traced to a missing lib (of HP origin, IIRC), which I found
odd that it was left out.

I upgraded HAL to Slack 11 and it refused to print with the old HP500C
at all. Finally I removed CUPS and pulled the CUPS in Slack11/testing
and installed - That worked.

Google searches turned up a hodge podge of similar complaints. I wasn't
sure which threads were composed by n00bs and which were "trustworthy".

If I have any more trouble I will compile it all from source myself. I
did that before Pat embraced CUPS and it worked just fine. Actually the
compile from source would have taken less time than I spent fixing the
darn thing.

Email - rsgi...@verizon.borg
Replace borg with net

Lez

Jul 10, 2007, 3:13:10 AM7/10/07
Sorry, I don't think I explained myself properly.
The printer is on a server running Slack V10.2 this works fine, no
problems.
On my PC I had V11 which printed fine through CUPS.
I then install V12 on my PC, now I can't print (from the PC), but can
on the server, as that hasn't changed.
As far as I am aware I have set up V12 the same as V11.
I can't understand why I get the quota error, as I have never set up
any quotas before (quota limit reached).
To me CUPS is a black art, fantastic when it works, but when it
doesn't !!!
Can anyone point me in the right direction, something has changed in
V12 either Slack or CUPS.

Lez

King Beowulf

Jul 11, 2007, 3:22:46 AM7/11/07
The torrent is still limping along ("slow" 256K DSL), but I never really had any CUPS
problems since 10 using either LPT1, USB, HP jetdirect Print server, SAMBA printer
share on a WinXP box or A D-Link 301P+ print server.

http://www.cups.org/ has lots of info, help and guides. Some things to consider

1. can you ping your print server from the new Slack install? (and if upgrade did
you merge /etc config files correctly?) ie, is you network up? Is you user part of a
group that is allowed to print?

2. How do you have your print server and Slack12 PC set up? "through CUPS" doesn't
say anything. For example did you tell CUPS the printer is on

Ip_adress:port number

e.g., 192.168.10.5:9100

or are you using LPD/LPR:

lpd://servername/printername

e.g., lpd://192.168.10.5/hpinkjet or lpd://myprn/hpinkjet

(and make sure you have DNS to resolve myprn to 192.168.10.5)

Hope this helps.

Lez

Jul 11, 2007, 12:46:21 PM7/11/07
> The torrent is still limping along ("slow" 256K DSL), but I never really had any CUPS
> problems since 10 using either LPT1, USB, HP jetdirect Print server, SAMBA printer
> share on a WinXP box or A D-Link 301P+ print server.
>

> http://www.cups.org/ has lots of info, help and guides. Some things to consider
>
> 1. can you ping your print server from the new Slack install? (and if upgrade did
> you merge /etc config files correctly?) ie, is you network up? Is you user part of a
> group that is allowed to print?
>
> 2. How do you have your print server and Slack12 PC set up? "through CUPS" doesn't
> say anything. For example did you tell CUPS the printer is on
>
> Ip_adress:port number
>
> e.g., 192.168.10.5:9100
>
> or are you using LPD/LPR:
>
> lpd://servername/printername
>
> e.g., lpd://192.168.10.5/hpinkjet or lpd://myprn/hpinkjet
>
> (and make sure you have DNS to resolve myprn to 192.168.10.5)
>
> Hope this helps.
Thanks for the advice

I can ping the server, I also have a share mounted.
I can connect to the server using 192.168.0.4:631 & do a test print
OK.
Using the cups interface http://localhost:631/printers/ I get an error
"/usr/lib/cups/backend/ipp failed"
I have looked at this & made it fully read/write/exec. When I try to
print again I get the same error!
I have another printer which is wireless a HP multi-function 2510 that
work OK!
The printer has been connected using remote cups printer & networked
printer, neither work.
This is the first time I have had a problem with cups since I first
used Slack V8.
The printer is setup as ipp://192.168.0.4:631/printers/hp960c at the
moment.
I just don't know where to look, should I try & install cups from V11?

Lez

King Beowulf

Jul 11, 2007, 2:11:50 PM7/11/07

Well, I guess I can't help until I fire up Slack12 (20 hours to go). But I found
this while googling:

http://fedoranews.org/cms/node/2144

King Beowulf

Jul 11, 2007, 2:21:44 PM7/11/07
Also just noted: http://osdir.com/ml/printing.cups.bugs/2007-01/msg00095.html

A known issue with ipp. So try a different way.

King Beowulf

Jul 11, 2007, 2:37:14 PM7/11/07

man...working nighst sucks...can't think straight...

just a thought: was there some change in CUPS 1.2.11 that is making ipp incompatible
with your server/printer drivers? try gutenprint?

Just starting to stab in the dark here the coffee kicks in.

Ron Gibson

Jul 11, 2007, 6:54:30 PM7/11/07
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 09:46:21 -0700, Lez wrote:

> I can ping the server, I also have a share mounted. I can connect to
> the
> server using 192.168.0.4:631 & do a test print OK.
> Using the cups interface http://localhost:631/printers/ I get an error
> "/usr/lib/cups/backend/ipp failed"

> I have looked at this & made it fully read/write/exec. When I try to
> print
> again I get the same error!
> I have another printer which is wireless a HP multi-function 2510 that
> work OK!
> The printer has been connected using remote cups printer & networked
> printer, neither work.
> This is the first time I have had a problem with cups since I first used
> Slack V8.
> The printer is setup as ipp://192.168.0.4:631/printers/hp960c at the
> moment.

I'm having almost the same exact set of problems. Let me lay out what I
got first so we can compare notes. Also note that everything works
perfectly with Slack 10.2, but the problem appears with Slack 11 and 12.

1) Two machines on a LAN
2) Machine 1, named CRAY has a USB HP5440 attached
3) Machine 2, named HAL, has on LPT1 a HP500C attached

Both machines print fine to their attached printers.

But I can not print from CRAY to HAL's HP500C. I get the same error,
parallel port backend failed. If I try to restart the job I get /dev/lp0
permission denied and for gawds sake I'm root.

I haven't tried printing to the USB printer on CRAY from HAL yet as I've
been working on this for about 6 hours now and I'm tired.

Things are further complicated by my using a new install of 11 as my
default on CRAY. I also upgraded HAL to 11. I've even got a install of
12 ALSO on CRAY and still the same problem - Can not print to the HP500C
on HAL.

I'm sure my ipp's are right and, of course, it all works fine with
windows (I hate to say that but it proves it's not the hardware).

So basically I'm stuck right now. Also not helping is they seemed to
have changed the layout of /etc/cupsd.conf

> I just don't know where to look, should I try & install cups from V11?

I've tried that including using a version in testing and it didn't help
my problem. Hell it's worth a shot - maybe you can get your's working.

BTW, I've seen reports of this problem on Google searches but no real
explanation or solution.

I'm sure it's a problem in CUPS (and related support files) itself.
Rather than spend any more time on this approach tomorrow I may try
removing CUPS and pulling the latest version and building it from source.
Since it may be driver related I'd also pull the hplip and hpijs stuff
and build it too.

Ron Gibson

Jul 11, 2007, 9:57:41 PM7/11/07
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 22:54:30 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:

> I'm sure it's a problem in CUPS (and related support files) itself.
> Rather than spend any more time on this approach tomorrow I may try
> removing CUPS and pulling the latest version and building it from
> source. Since it may be driver related I'd also pull the hplip and
> hpijs stuff and build it too.

Followup:

I've been preparing to build CUPS and hplip (which includes building
hpijs only). Look at these pages...

http://hplip.sourceforge.net/downloads.html

http://hplip.sourceforge.net/tech_docs/tarball_install.html

I'm guessing the problem is with FOOMATIC and HPLIP and it's
derivatives. Now they gone to autogenerating critical files on the fly
with XML files (which makes zero sense to me).

Therefore I think it's safe to say that matters are in a state of flux.
Also looking around on the sites (CUPS too) mentions this problem with
the back ends failing in bug discussions.

This really complicates what to do next for me. I may end up reverting
to 10.2. I had a print job fail last night that was an online government
form. It was the last step of tediously filling out several pages of
questions.

I started to go ballistic but noticed I could save my work up to that
point and log off. So I rebooted to a working OS (10.2), logged on and
finished off the form.

But again, IMO, the blame lies (if there is any) with CUPS and HP.

Lez

Jul 12, 2007, 3:26:12 AM7/12/07

Ron Gibson wrote:

> I'm guessing the problem is with FOOMATIC and HPLIP and it's
> derivatives. Now they gone to autogenerating critical files on the fly
> with XML files (which makes zero sense to me).

> But again, IMO, the blame lies (if there is any) with CUPS and HP.

Just a note in V11, where all work OK, I got cups to see the remote
printer & it worked first time.
I then install hp software afterwards for my all-in-one device & they
both worked fine!
In V12 I can get the hp device manager to work but not cups with my
remote printer! At least I can get one printer to work!
It could be a conflict. I'll have a look at the versions & play around
& see what turns up.

Lez

Dan C

Jul 12, 2007, 9:18:05 AM7/12/07
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 01:57:41 +0000, Ron Gibson wrote:

> I'm guessing the problem is with FOOMATIC and HPLIP and it's
> derivatives. Now they gone to autogenerating critical files on the fly
> with XML files (which makes zero sense to me).

I've not had any troubles with CUPS and my Brother HL-5140 laser. All I
did was put the downloaded PPD driver file into /usr/share/cups/model,
restart the CUPS service (so it can see the new PPD), and then open CUPS
in my browser (localhost:631). Then, I just added the new printer, which
I have on a print server on my LAN. I used the "ipp" protocol, which
defines the printer in CUPS as: ipp://192.168.x.x/L1 . The "L1" is just
the way my little print server box names the parallel port output. That's
all there was to it in my case.

If you have a PPD driver file, you could perhaps try things like that.

Ron Gibson

Jul 12, 2007, 10:52:12 AM7/12/07
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 00:26:12 -0700, Lez wrote:

>> I'm guessing the problem is with FOOMATIC and HPLIP and it's
>> derivatives. Now they gone to autogenerating critical files on the fly
>> with XML files (which makes zero sense to me). But again, IMO, the blame
>> lies (if there is any) with CUPS and HP.

> Just a note in V11, where all work OK, I got cups to see the remote
> printer & it worked first time.

I need to see if I can print to my USB printer over the LAN. I bet that
might work because I keep seeing the "parallel backend failure" error.

> I then install hp software afterwards for my all-in-one device & they
> both worked fine!
> In V12 I can get the hp device manager to work but not cups with my
> remote printer! At least I can get one printer to work! It could be a
> conflict. I'll have a look at the versions & play around & see what
> turns up.

I saw a few more things to try also but just got tired of going in
circles yesterday. Whatever the problem is I'm sure I can find a
solution even if it means dropping back to the CUPS version used in
10.2 as all worked fine there. Today is a bad day so I'll probably not
get a lot done until tomorrow.

Ron Gibson

Jul 12, 2007, 11:01:10 AM7/12/07
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 08:18:05 -0500, Dan C wrote:

>> I'm guessing the problem is with FOOMATIC and HPLIP and it's
>> derivatives. Now they gone to autogenerating critical files on the fly
>> with XML files (which makes zero sense to me).

> I've not had any troubles with CUPS and my Brother HL-5140 laser. All I
> did was put the downloaded PPD driver file into /usr/share/cups/model,
> restart the CUPS service (so it can see the new PPD), and then open CUPS
> in my browser (localhost:631). Then, I just added the new printer, which
> I have on a print server on my LAN. I used the "ipp" protocol, which

> If you have a PPD driver file, you could perhaps try things like that.

That's the way it's always worked before. What is happening is the job
is sent to the server and spooled but is stopped because CUPS chokes on
the backend for this model parallel port printer which has been
supported since Moses led the Jews from Egypt. The ppd file is already
there, although trying another one would be a good idea.

I'm inclined to think it's because CUPS has undergone a major design
change, but at this point I only have effects and no exact causes.

Roger Manyard

Jul 12, 2007, 12:56:10 PM7/12/07
Ron Gibson <rsgi...@verizon.net> trolled:

>On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 00:26:12 -0700, Lez wrote:
>
>>> I'm guessing the problem is with FOOMATIC and HPLIP and it's
>>> derivatives. Now they gone to autogenerating critical files on the fly
>>> with XML files (which makes zero sense to me). But again, IMO, the blame
>>> lies (if there is any) with CUPS and HP.
>
>> Just a note in V11, where all work OK, I got cups to see the remote
>> printer & it worked first time.

>I need to see if I can print to my USB printer over the LAN. I bet that
>might work because I keep seeing the "parallel backend failure" error.

Surely the Slackware Linux Essentials book has the answer? Or
doesn't it include USB yet?

cordially, as always,

rm

Lez

Jul 13, 2007, 3:03:20 PM7/13/07
Remote printing with V12. Solved!!!!!
I have a hp960c attached to a remote pc (shuttle)
My pc had v11, I could print to it no problem.
I installed V12 on my pc & it wouldn't print, various errors.
I stopped cups
I uninstall cups-1.2.11-i486-1 (that comes with V12)
& installed cups-1.1.23-i486-4 (that comes with V11)
started cups.
I set up the printer as raw, as shuttle does the work, & it worked OK.

Hope this helps
Lez

Ron Gibson

Jul 13, 2007, 4:30:16 PM7/13/07

I was thinking of trying that. In my case I'd install the version for
10.2 in 11.

10.2 worked perfect.

Someone who is not as lazy as me ought to make a bug report.

Robby Workman

Jul 14, 2007, 1:34:41 AM7/14/07
On 2007-07-12, Ron Gibson <rsgi...@verizon.net> wrote:

> I've been preparing to build CUPS and hplip (which includes building
> hpijs only). Look at these pages...

Ron - contact me via email (see headers); I've got some preliminary
work done on HPLIP-2.7.6. I might can save you some duplication of
effort (or vice versa).

RW

Ron Gibson

Jul 15, 2007, 2:03:11 PM7/15/07
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 08:18:05 -0500, Dan C wrote:

> I've not had any troubles with CUPS and my Brother HL-5140 laser. All
> I did was put the downloaded PPD driver file into
> /usr/share/cups/model,

That's all I ever had to do. Again the 2 machines and OS's (actually
when all was stable)...

CRAY: Slack 10.2, Open Suse 10.1, W2K: Printer HP 5440
HAL: Slack 10.2, W98SE, W2K: Printer HP500C

I had it set up so no matter what OS was booted on which machine they
could all print across the network to each other, if needed.

I tell ya, I working my ass off on this and see perhaps I may have
allowed an error to creep in my configuration but I can not locate the
offending control file to correct the problem.

However I *will* get it fixed and report what I found out. The other
OS's on my machines seldom ever get used. I'm 97% Slackware booted so
this situation is as intolerable as resorting to trying mandrivel as my
primary OS.

Ron Gibson

Jul 16, 2007, 2:22:35 PM7/16/07
On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 05:34:41 +0000, Robby Workman wrote:

>> I've been preparing to build CUPS and hplip (which includes building
>> hpijs only). Look at these pages...

> Ron - contact me via email (see headers); I've got some preliminary work
> done on HPLIP-2.7.6. I might can save you some duplication of effort (or
> vice versa).

I'm posting this and will send email also. perhaps someone else with
same problem might benefit.

Oh, 10.2 worked perfectly. Slack 11 is giving me the problems so heck
I'm afraid to spend time on 12 until I solve this.

After having to take a few days off I decided to reduce everything to
it's simplest form. I replaced a cloned install of Slack 11 on the
problem machine/server with the HP500 attached.

Then I compared the package log with an archived version of 10.2.
Although both Slack 11 and 10.2 both use the same CUPS version, they use
different versions of HPIJS.

Comparing files I know are related...

In /usr/lib/cups/backend 10.2 and 11 show different file sizes and other
differences and that is part of the CUPS package which is the same
version. I find that odd.

The ppd file, part of HPIJS is of different size also, but the versions
of HPIJS are also different.

What I have now, a pristine install is backed up to removable HD and can
be quickly restored so I can easily conduct "risky" experiments and
recover if they bomb.

My plan is to first remove the newer version of HPIJS from 11 and replace
with the 10.2 version.

If that fails I restore and then replace CUPS and HPIJS both with the
old versions.

If that fails I will compile it all from source

I think I've narrowed the problem down to parallel port connected (lp
backend) HP printers (HP backend).

Still a mystery is as to whether it's a CUPS problem or an HPIJS problem
or both even.