I think the new release is imminent

Michael Black

Apr 22, 2011, 8:32:00 PM4/22/11
Today the changelog has these entries:

Fri Apr 22 21:48:38 UTC 2011
The sepulchral voice intones, "The cave is now closed."

Fri Apr 22 18:38:01 UTC 2011:
Cave closing soon. All adventurers exit immediately through Main
Office.

He's obviously having fun with this release.

Michael

Thomas Overgaard

Apr 23, 2011, 2:36:59 AM4/23/11
Michael Black wrote:

> He's obviously having fun with this release.

Its from the game "adventure" which is part of the bsd-games package.
--
Thomas O.

Martin

Apr 23, 2011, 3:22:49 AM4/23/11
Thomas Overgaard wrote:

> Michael Black wrote:
>
>> He's obviously having fun with this release.
>
> Its from the game "adventure" which is part of the bsd-games package.

Interesting. I noticed the directory /var/lib/bsdgames is set up with
permissions root: 755. Do you think that is a design decision or a fault in
the package?

Martin

Martin

Apr 23, 2011, 3:57:05 AM4/23/11
Martin wrote:

meant to say 644

Helmut Hullen

Apr 23, 2011, 4:22:00 AM4/23/11
Hallo, Martin,

Du meintest am 23.04.11:

>>> Its from the game "adventure" which is part of the bsd-games
>>> package.
>>
>> Interesting. I noticed the directory /var/lib/bsdgames is set up
>> with permissions root: 755. Do you think that is a design decision
>> or a fault in the package?

> meant to say 644

The directory has 755 (bsd-games-2.13-i486-11).

Viele Gruesse
Helmut

Martin

Apr 23, 2011, 6:26:17 AM4/23/11
Helmut Hullen wrote:

fine. directories 755 regular files 644. now that that is resolved, back to
the question: is it intentional - it prevents users from storing
highscores.

Martin

Henrik Carlqvist

Apr 23, 2011, 10:01:46 AM4/23/11
Thomas Overgaard <tho...@post2.tele.dk> wrote:
> Its from the game "adventure" which is part of the bsd-games package.

Wow! I've been running full installs of Slackware since the mid 90ies and
have not been aware that I hade "adventure" installed which I spent far to
many hours with on a CP/M machine in the mid 80ies.

Yep, it is the same good old adventure, "xyzzy"!

regards Henrik
hc123(at)poolhem.se Examples of addresses which go to spammers:
root@localhost postmaster@localhost

Michael Black

Apr 23, 2011, 11:26:25 AM4/23/11
On Sat, 23 Apr 2011, Henrik Carlqvist wrote:

> Thomas Overgaard <tho...@post2.tele.dk> wrote:
>> Its from the game "adventure" which is part of the bsd-games package.
>
> Wow! I've been running full installs of Slackware since the mid 90ies and
> have not been aware that I hade "adventure" installed which I spent far to
> many hours with on a CP/M machine in the mid 80ies.

The problem with games is that you can waste a lot of time on them. I can
live without them, but if I get tempted, I can stay with them. My
solution decades ago was to keep the games physically distant, like in
another room, so I had to take a deliberate step to play them. If it's
installed, it's too easy. Back then, it was easy since I was using floppy
disks, or even cartridges. With hard drives it's harder, though I put one
game on a separate cdrom and install it whenever I'm tempted (the initial
temptation isn't bad, it's the stopping that's hard)

I got into the bsd games for a while, and decided to remove the package,
then discovered that important things like fortune and rot13 were there,
so I simply disabled the games.

Michael

Michael Black

Apr 23, 2011, 11:31:10 AM4/23/11
On Sat, 23 Apr 2011, Thomas Overgaard wrote:

> Michael Black wrote:
>
>> He's obviously having fun with this release.
>
> Its from the game "adventure" which is part of the bsd-games package.

Yes, but why is it in the changelog?

He's not talking about a game, it's just a reference from the game. I
sure haven't seen odd lines like that before in the changelog.

"Cave closing soon"? I certainly read that as "the release is about
finished", at the very least it's an oblique reference to some absolute
point in the life of the release.

"The cave is now closed." I read that as the release is finished, or at
least "stop sending bugs, we're finishing up here".

References to "Adventure" fit the recent release candidate numbered pi.

Michael

Loki Harfagr

Apr 23, 2011, 1:46:51 PM4/23/11
Sat, 23 Apr 2011 11:31:10 -0400, Michael Black did cat :

> On Sat, 23 Apr 2011, Thomas Overgaard wrote:
>
>> Michael Black wrote:
>>
>>> He's obviously having fun with this release.
>>
>> Its from the game "adventure" which is part of the bsd-games package.
>
> Yes, but why is it in the changelog?

Yup, I do think you read too much, read that you want to read too much,
in it, anyway, as the Fun&Games are now dust in the wand I'll take
your rod on and follow that shallow path in talking too much about after
reading too much into ;-)

> He's not talking about a game, it's just a reference from the game. I
> sure haven't seen odd lines like that before in the changelog.

because never a previous changelog was about such an adventurous release.

> "Cave closing soon"? I certainly read that as "the release is about
> finished", at the very least it's an oblique reference to some absolute
> point in the life of the release.

It is an announcement from the up above to all the tourists who were
still in the hope they'd bring the good piece of local artwork that the
sunny season was dying tomorrow and they'd better get off soon if not
willing to fade in grey rows of 1 and 0s.

> "The cave is now closed." I read that as the release is finished, or at
> least "stop sending bugs, we're finishing up here".

Even as, stop sending *your* bugs, I'll take care of mine, or more
precisely, stop adding solutions to your bugs so I may now finish the
game cleanly ;-)

> References to "Adventure" fit the recent release candidate numbered pi.

all the 13.n generation was a colossal adventure, winds of change in
many paths, new models in libs, new tools, and a lot of things that
only the ones who actually do the job should talk, not to say that
nobody's allowed not to say anything else and the opposite ;->

<michaelblack mode off>
I'd say that the upcoming 13.37 is the best since a long time
wouldn't it be that tiny problem ATM that saving a game in
"adventure" segfaults

(maybe a local/multilib problem ;-)

Thomas Overgaard

Apr 24, 2011, 3:22:04 PM4/24/11
Martin wrote:

> is it intentional - it prevents users from storing highscores.

Guess that ownership of the files should have been "root games" and the
permission should have been 664. Then you could just add users who
wanted to play to the games group.

Theodore Heise

Apr 27, 2011, 10:21:09 PM4/27/11
On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 16:01:46 +0200,
Henrik Carlqvist <Henrik.C...@deadspam.com> wrote:
> Thomas Overgaard <tho...@post2.tele.dk> wrote:

>> Its from the game "adventure" which is part of the bsd-games
>> package.
>
> Wow! I've been running full installs of Slackware since the mid
> 90ies and have not been aware that I hade "adventure" installed
> which I spent far to many hours with on a CP/M machine in the
> mid 80ies.

Yikes! I had no idea it even existed. After blowing the past 30
minutes on it, I can say it's much like the Odyssey game my first
wife and I played on my mom's Apple II some 30 years ago. What a
blast from the past!

--
Theodore (Ted) Heise <th...@heise.nu> Bloomington, IN, USA

Theodore Heise

Apr 27, 2011, 10:33:06 PM4/27/11

Well that's not right. Wikipedia indicates that Odyssey used
graphics--the game I played on the Apple II was definitely text,
but I could have sworn it was called Odyssey. The only thing I
can find now is Adventure? Id id come across the similar Zork,
which I played on ny first PC in 1989.

Mr. B-o-B

Apr 28, 2011, 1:10:09 AM4/28/11
Theodore Heise cried from the depths of the abyss...

> Well that's not right. Wikipedia indicates that Odyssey used
> graphics--the game I played on the Apple II was definitely text,
> but I could have sworn it was called Odyssey. The only thing I
> can find now is Adventure? Id id come across the similar Zork,
> which I played on ny first PC in 1989.

Perhaps it was Adventure. Since I first saw your post I have been trying
to remember a game (like zork) I used to play on my C64. Perhaps it was
Adventure, but that just doesn't sound right for some reason. Commodore
is making a retro c64 unit again. Looks just like the 80's classic, but
has a mini-itx mobo. I have been kicking around the idea of getting a
barebone case ($250USD - ouch), and putting a decent intel mini-itx mobo,
I series chip, SSD, & Of course the latest 13.37. Not very practical, but
would be fun to have on the desk again.

Thomas Overgaard

Apr 28, 2011, 2:45:00 PM4/28/11
Mr. B-o-B wrote:

> Since I first saw your post I have been trying to remember a game
> (like zork) I used to play on my C64. Perhaps it was Adventure,
> but that just doesn't sound right for some reason.

IIRC the Commodore 64 version of Adventure was named "Colossal Cave
Adventure".

Mr. B-o-B

Apr 28, 2011, 4:44:55 PM4/28/11
Thomas Overgaard cried from the depths of the abyss...

>> Since I first saw your post I have been trying to remember a game
>> (like zork) I used to play on my C64. Perhaps it was Adventure,
>> but that just doesn't sound right for some reason.
>
> IIRC the Commodore 64 version of Adventure was named "Colossal Cave
> Adventure".
> --

Thanks Thomas! Mystery solved.

Theodore Heise

May 28, 2011, 10:12:21 AM5/28/11
On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 00:10:09 -0500,
Mr. B-o-B <mr.che...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Theodore Heise cried from the depths of the abyss...
>
>> Well that's not right. Wikipedia indicates that Odyssey used
>> graphics--the game I played on the Apple II was definitely
>> text, but I could have sworn it was called Odyssey. The only
>> thing I can find now is Adventure? Id id come across the
>> similar Zork, which I played on ny first PC in 1989.
>
> Perhaps it was Adventure. Since I first saw your post I have
> been trying to remember a game (like zork) I used to play on my
> C64. Perhaps it was Adventure, but that just doesn't sound
> right for some reason.

Well, one family member also recalled the disk brought home from
Berkeley and used on her Apple II as Odyssey, but it was
definitely text only.

> ...Commodore is making a retro c64 unit again. Looks just

> like the 80's classic, but has a mini-itx mobo. I have been
> kicking around the idea of getting a barebone case ($250USD -
> ouch), and putting a decent intel mini-itx mobo, I series chip,
> SSD, & Of course the latest 13.37. Not very practical, but
> would be fun to have on the desk again.

Know what you mean.

I'm looking to build a new server to replace my current box. I
recently finished setting up an MSI K9VGM-V with Sempron 3000+ and
2 GB RAM in a mid tower ATX case--but it is LOUD! Is it possible
to substantially reduce the noise with a different power supply?

Dan C

May 28, 2011, 10:05:13 PM5/28/11
On Sat, 28 May 2011 10:12:21 -0400, Theodore Heise wrote:

> I'm looking to build a new server to replace my current box. I recently
> finished setting up an MSI K9VGM-V with Sempron 3000+ and 2 GB RAM in a
> mid tower ATX case--but it is LOUD! Is it possible to substantially
> reduce the noise with a different power supply?

Yes.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he puked on Christopher Robin.

Loki Harfagr

May 29, 2011, 5:27:21 AM5/29/11
Sun, 29 May 2011 02:05:13 +0000, Dan C did cat :

> On Sat, 28 May 2011 10:12:21 -0400, Theodore Heise wrote:
>
>> I'm looking to build a new server to replace my current box. I
>> recently finished setting up an MSI K9VGM-V with Sempron 3000+ and 2 GB
>> RAM in a mid tower ATX case--but it is LOUD! Is it possible to
>> substantially reduce the noise with a different power supply?
>
> Yes.

I second this advice.

And the full answer should include that if you even get to the
point to fully remove the power supply the noise reduction will be
extremely impressive. Of course that also may imply some loss in
global performance,then you'll have to try and restart one or two
hamster wheels until you reach the power/noise ratio you can stand.

If you have social difficulties living with cardiotrained rodents
you may like to try a fanless power supply, they make wonders for
the noise level, though you'll need to carefully repartite the
different power threads to improve and safe the supply.

Theodore Heise

May 30, 2011, 10:37:03 PM5/30/11
On 29 May 2011 09:27:21 GMT,

Loki Harfagr <l0...@thedarkdesign.free.fr.INVALID> wrote:
> Sun, 29 May 2011 02:05:13 +0000, Dan C did cat :
>> On Sat, 28 May 2011 10:12:21 -0400, Theodore Heise wrote:
>>
>>> RAM in a mid tower ATX case--but it is LOUD!

>>> ...Is it possible to substantially reduce the [computer]

>>> noise with a different power supply?
>>
>> Yes.
>
> I second this advice.
>
> And the full answer should include that if you even get to the
> point to fully remove the power supply the noise reduction will
> be extremely impressive. Of course that also may imply some loss
> in global performance,then you'll have to try and restart one or
> two hamster wheels until you reach the power/noise ratio you can
> stand.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Any suggestions on where to find
these hamster wheel power supply you mention?

> If you have social difficulties living with cardiotrained
> rodents you may like to try a fanless power supply, they make
> wonders for the noise level, though you'll need to carefully
> repartite the different power threads to improve and safe the
> supply.

I didn't know they existed--good to know. It turns out that most
of the noise is from an added case fan. When I checked it out
today it didn't seem that loud. Probably the first impression was
affected by the hearing aids I had just started wearing.

smi...@home.com

Jul 28, 2011, 9:50:46 PM7/28/11

Yeah I wear hearing aids and the noise in the computer room is substantial
when I have them in my ears. Not so much when out.