Changelog

greymaus

Nov 4, 2008, 6:42:20 AM11/4/08

latest entry in Changelog.txt is dated Oct 13th? Anything happening?

--
Greymaus
.

Dan C

Nov 4, 2008, 8:46:16 AM11/4/08
On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 11:42:20 +0000, greymaus wrote:

> latest entry in Changelog.txt is dated Oct 13th? Anything happening?

Well, there's a big election today. That's about it.

Michael Black

Nov 4, 2008, 8:55:36 AM11/4/08
On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, Dan C wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 11:42:20 +0000, greymaus wrote:
>
>> latest entry in Changelog.txt is dated Oct 13th? Anything happening?
>
> Well, there's a big election today. That's about it.

So Patrick took three weeks off to vote?

Michael

Dan C

Nov 4, 2008, 9:06:26 AM11/4/08
On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 08:55:36 -0500, Michael Black wrote:

>>> latest entry in Changelog.txt is dated Oct 13th? Anything happening?

>> Well, there's a big election today. That's about it.

> So Patrick took three weeks off to vote?

Perhaps he did! This is still a free country, ya know. At least until
the end of today... :(

wordsmith

Nov 4, 2008, 10:50:36 AM11/4/08
On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 14:06:26 +0000, someone posting as Dan C purportedly
wrote:

> Perhaps he did! This is still a free country, ya know. At least until
> the end of today... :(

That's funny. Stupid; but that's why it's funny.

Grow up dumbass. No one is coming to steal your toys.

--
poking dumbasses in the forehead, till my finger hurts.

Dan C

Nov 4, 2008, 12:25:36 PM11/4/08
On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 09:50:36 -0600, wordsmith wrote:

>> Perhaps he did! This is still a free country, ya know. At least until
>> the end of today... :(

> That's funny. Stupid; but that's why it's funny.
> Grow up dumbass. No one is coming to steal your toys.

Fuck off, Libtard.

Robby Workman

Nov 4, 2008, 12:41:15 PM11/4/08
On 2008-11-04, greymaus <grey...@mail.com> wrote:

> latest entry in Changelog.txt is dated Oct 13th? Anything happening?

I *love* this. All sorts of whiners coming out of the woodwork about
"OMGZ!!!111 No updates for three weeks. What's wroooooonngggg?"
Even worse, I saw the first of those posts after only twelve days had
passed.

Has it *ever* occurred to some of you people that that there's actual
*work* and *time* involved in building and testing updates? I realize
that a lot of the third party package sites just compile some shit and
throw it out there hoping for the best, but that's not how the Slackware
team handles things. Updates are just like releases - they'll come out
when they're ready.

-RW

Michael Black

Nov 4, 2008, 1:05:14 PM11/4/08

Hey, all I said was that it had stalled, I did say that I hadn't watched
it before to interpret what it means.

This time, I have been watching it on a regular basis. And what's
surprised me is how continuous the work is. Then it stops, and I do
wonder if that simply means all the easy things have been updated, or
it's getting close to solidifying.

You might recall that someone always calls for a contest to guess
when the next release will be. I've always assumed they are reading
the changelog, and from experience see a pattern emerging to suggest
a new release is close. It's that which has made me watch the changelog.
I haven't a clue what to watch for, are little tiny utilities getting
update the mark of a release coming, or is it when some large things get
updated?

I'm not asking for answers, I'm just stating a curiosity

It is a complicated thing, because if something gets changed, other
things may have to change with it.

Michael

wordsmith

Nov 4, 2008, 1:12:31 PM11/4/08
On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 17:25:36 +0000, someone posting as Dan C purportedly
wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 09:50:36 -0600, wordsmith wrote:

>> Grow up dumbass.
>
> Fuck off, Libtard.

QED

--
poking dumbasses in the forehead, one dumbass at a time.

goarilla

Nov 4, 2008, 1:58:11 PM11/4/08
On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 17:25:36 +0000, Dan C wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 09:50:36 -0600, wordsmith wrote:
>
>>> Perhaps he did! This is still a free country, ya know. At least
>>> until the end of today... :(
>
>> That's funny. Stupid; but that's why it's funny. Grow up dumbass. No
>> one is coming to steal your toys.
>
> Fuck off, Libtard.

what like you're not voting for obama ?

Beej Jorgensen

Nov 4, 2008, 2:06:11 PM11/4/08
Dan C <youmust...@lan.invalid> wrote:
>On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 08:55:36 -0500, Michael Black wrote:
>> So Patrick took three weeks off to vote?
>Perhaps he did!

Well, he had to ask his boss first, and file some paperwork with HR, but
I think it was approved. ;)

>This is still a free country, ya know. At least until the end of
>today... :(

I was going to say something political here, but then I changed my mind
after I felt pity for the newsgroup.

-Beej

wordsmith

Nov 4, 2008, 3:16:20 PM11/4/08
On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 19:06:11 +0000, someone posting as Beej Jorgensen
purportedly wrote:

> I was going to say something political here, but then I changed my mind
> after I felt pity for the newsgroup.

sniff...you're right...sniffsniff...come on everybody
Kum ba ya my lord, kumbaya
Kum ba ya my lord...

--
poking dumbasses in the forehead, till my finger hurts.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Beej Jorgensen

Nov 5, 2008, 2:39:47 AM11/5/08
~kurt <actino...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Gonna have to go buy another gun before they are outlawed....

Let DC v Heller put your mind at ease.

-Beej

+Alan Hicks+

Nov 5, 2008, 3:20:56 PM11/5/08

Message has been deleted

Chris Sorenson

Nov 6, 2008, 2:43:39 AM11/6/08
~kurt wrote:
> Look at how well it is working in DC - plus the soon to be President said
> states and cities should be able to ignore this section of the Bill of Rights.
>
> The DC vs. Heller thing, if anything, opens up the opportunity to require
> registration of firearms. It didn't seem to address what types of firearms
> one could have. So, basically, with an even more gun hating Democrat Congress,
> and a gun hating Democrat president - well, lets just say I'm hoping they spend
> all their time trying to fix the economy, and not eliminate private gun
> ownership in the way we saw under the Clinton administration.
>
> The bad economy has seen a rise in suicide rates via guns. I'm sure that
> will prompt some more regulation.

Quit clinging to your guns and your religion! Come into the collective
and join your groupthink one-world bretheren...

Beej Jorgensen

Nov 6, 2008, 6:47:55 AM11/6/08
~kurt <actino...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Look at how well it is working in DC

Well, I recommend as a workaround they kick out all the local officials
who would prevent firearm sales in the District.

>plus the soon to be President said states and cities should be able to
>ignore this section of the Bill of Rights.

He can say it, but sooner or later it's going to get back to court if
someone tries to enforce it. Thing is, in the case of DC, the 2nd
Amendment has been ended-around by various laws that already exist. In
that regard, I don't see how Obama's going to make it much worse than
the current state of "impossible" to get a gun in DC.

>The DC vs. Heller thing, if anything, opens up the opportunity to
>require registration of firearms.

This has always been an opportunity, hasn't it? I mean, the situation
here in CA, for example... besides, Obama said he didn't think he could
get that done federally.

>well, lets just say I'm hoping they spend all their time trying to fix
>the economy, and not eliminate private gun ownership in the way we saw
>under the Clinton administration.

Me too--gun violence is really out of the public eye at the moment. I
don't think Obama's going to make such short work of the other issues
that he'll have lots of free time to attack the 2nd Amendment. He has a
pretty massive TODO list, not even counting pile of campaign
promises--in which I don't recall him making much mention of gun
control.

There's always an issue to which the public demands the feds give
their immediate attention. Always. And sometimes that's, "Do whatever
it takes to protect me from the bad guys with guns."

My personal read on Obama here is that he doesn't care about this issue
very much, except insofar as it is politically expedient to do so. It's
also pretty obvious that heavy-handed gun control and restriction
delivers deminishing returns, e.g. in DC and CA, and a smart guy like
him should be able to see that. The thing is, it's suicide to say gun
control is lame when you're the Democrat. (Some regions of the country
are crazy-violent and "guns for everyone" is a hard sell in the Big
City.)

But now that he's President-elect, he doesn't have to worry about using
gun control to hammer his Democratic opponents. He can be lax about it
and still not lose any votes to a Republican challenger who will
undoubtedly be even more unrestrained on the issue. I'll be interested
to see what he does; I have my guess.

-Beej

"I don't consider this to be a good format for me, which makes me more
cautious. I often find myself trapped by the questions and thinking to
myself, 'You know, this is a stupid question, but let me ... answer it.'
So when Brian Williams is asking me about what's a personal thing that
you've done [that's green], and I say, you know, 'Well, I planted a
bunch of trees.' And he says, 'I'm talking about personal.' What I'm
thinking in my head is, 'Well, the truth is, Brian, we can't solve
global warming because I f---ing changed light bulbs in my house. It's
because of something collective'." --Barack Obama

wordsmith

Nov 6, 2008, 7:45:06 AM11/6/08
On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 11:47:55 +0000, someone posting as Beej Jorgensen
purportedly wrote:

<snip>
Apparently your pity for the ng has waned somewhat.

Beej Jorgensen

Nov 6, 2008, 8:09:08 PM11/6/08
wordsmith <word...@work.com> wrote:
>Apparently your pity for the ng has waned somewhat.

Ha! Yeah, it was a long night of coding, but I made progress; thanks
for the vent board.

-Beej

Message has been deleted

wordsmith

Nov 6, 2008, 9:30:00 PM11/6/08
On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 19:40:02 -0600, someone posting as ~kurt purportedly
wrote:

jeezus kurt give it a fucking rest

Message has been deleted

Peter Chant

Nov 9, 2008, 3:48:49 PM11/9/08

> Now, being a member of the Slackware team, I have some fairly strong
> clues when a new release is coming, hence why I haven't offered any
> guesses of my own as to when the next release would be.

Not being part of the Slackware team that means I'm free to make guesses,
and my guess is not for a while.

I do wonder what the next one will bring in. Is KDE 4.1 mature enough? I
suspect its too new for a slacware release right now. Being as we are on
2.6.20's kernels now I can't quite see what the "killer app" is for the
next release.

!!!!

Just glad I make one of my infrequent visits to the website. OK, next
version will have KDE 4.1 by the looks of things! Not played with it. On
that basis, it could be quite soon I suppose.

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Eric Hameleers

Nov 10, 2008, 2:55:31 PM11/10/08
Peter Chant schreef:

> OK, next
> version will have KDE 4.1 by the looks of things! Not played with it. On
> that basis, it could be quite soon I suppose.

No, the next release will ship with KDE 3.5.10.
The KDE4 packages are still found under /testing which means the
software is not considered mature enough to be replacing KDE3.

Eric

greymaus

Nov 12, 2008, 5:41:05 AM11/12/08

I think that I originated this thread, mainly because I was wondering if
Patrick had a re-occurence of his health problems, I notice the latest
entry is 10 Nov or so. Everything seems OK.

--
Greymaus
.

Eric Hameleers

Nov 12, 2008, 3:14:06 PM11/12/08
greymaus schreef:
Sometimes it just takes time to play with software versions and find
the tweaks that work best. The new kernel used up a lot of testing time.

Eric