Window Manager

Ian Cronk

Oct 14, 2002, 7:50:44 PM10/14/02
I recently installed Slackware 8.1. everything went fine except when I start
my computer and type startx it loads KDE by default. I realize that I set it
to load KDE by default during installation but I couldn't figure out how to
startx to a menu where I could pick a window manager to use. I didn't have a
.xinitrc so I made one and included a few window managers to use in there,
but now it just loads the first one listed in the file. I also downloaded a
little program called wmm ? I think, thats suposed to act as a menu where
you can choose what window manager you want but that didn't work either. Any
help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Boris Kurktchiev

Oct 14, 2002, 8:08:45 PM10/14/02
Ian Cronk wrote:

try running xwmconfig in a console that should do it pretty good for you :).

glytchbinary

Oct 14, 2002, 8:09:38 PM10/14/02

you can either specify your window manager in the .xinitrc like
exec gnome-session
or
exec startkde

not both

or you can just run something like kdm,gdm, or xdm that will give you a
graphical login and a menu to pick which wm you want to use

Ian Cronk

Oct 14, 2002, 8:34:51 PM10/14/02

"glytchbinary" <glytch...@attbi.com> wrote in message

Ok, when I type kdm or gdm I get a graphical menu and thats great but when I
try and login the screen flickers back to taxt mode for a sec and then i'm
back to the login prompt. When I start kdm or gdm i'm logged in as root
would that have anything to do with it? I've tried logging in with kdm and
gdm both as root and another user but both do the same thing.

glytchbinary

Oct 14, 2002, 10:09:23 PM10/14/02
In article <LoJq9.2293$UV3.3...@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>, Ian Cronk wrote:

> Ok, when I type kdm or gdm I get a graphical menu and thats great but when I
> try and login the screen flickers back to taxt mode for a sec and then i'm
> back to the login prompt. When I start kdm or gdm i'm logged in as root
> would that have anything to do with it? I've tried logging in with kdm and
> gdm both as root and another user but both do the same thing.

strange..

i just `startx&` with this .xinitrc

xmms&
gaim&
exec evilwm

Marek A. Stepien

Oct 15, 2002, 7:44:16 AM10/15/02
Użytkownik Ian Cronk napisał:

> Ok, when I type kdm or gdm I get a graphical menu and thats great but when I
> try and login the screen flickers back to taxt mode for a sec and then i'm
> back to the login prompt. When I start kdm or gdm i'm logged in as root
> would that have anything to do with it? I've tried logging in with kdm and
> gdm both as root and another user but both do the same thing.

/etc/inittab:

find this line:
# Default runlevel. (Do not set to 0 or 6)
and change the next one to:
id:4:initdefault:

then you'll have kdm started by default

(edit /etc/rc.d/rc.4 to change the default x login manager - e.g. xdm,
gdm, kdm)

I personally use GDM on my desktop computer.

--
-- |\ /| _ _ _ _ _ _ --------------------------
| | \/ ||_||_)/ / \/ \( uggc://jjj.znepbbf.pbz |

Yeti

Oct 15, 2002, 6:32:51 AM10/15/02
Ian Cronk wrote:
> Hi,
<snip>

> startx to a menu where I could pick a window manager to use. I didn't have a
> .xinitrc so I made one and included a few window managers to use in there,
<snip>

Including more WMs in .xinitrc won't work.
I don't know how to create a menu as you would like but here are my $0.02:
I do it this way: As I needn't to change my WM frequently (I use fluxbox
*almost* all the time), I simply make a symlink:
$ ln -s /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.wm_of_your_choice .xinitrc

Maybe you can use something like this in your menu script?

HTH

Yeti
--

"Linux is friendly to user who deserves it."

Registered Linux user #270217

Franz M. Sauerzopf

Oct 16, 2002, 3:12:02 AM10/16/02
In <oLIq9.2273$UV3.3...@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>, Ian Cronk wrote:

> Hi,
> ... where

> you can choose what window manager you want but that didn't work either. Any
> help would be greatly appreciated.

Just to round off the previous answers. This is how it is supposed to work:
In /etc/X11/xinit you find a lot of files xinitrc.some_name, which are
supposed to run the window manager of some_name. Creating a soft link
xinitrc -> xinitrc.some_name makes startx run the some_name window
manager. Now you can read these xinitrc files...
This is the systemwide default. To have a personal choice of wm, you might
start with copying e.g. xinitrc.wmaker to ~/.xinitrc and editing it
according to your own likes. E.g., I like to put in
xscreensvaer &
into the line before the last (exec /usr/....).

This is about as far as I understand these things, and \begin{as usual} it
is all in the manuals \end{as uaual}.

Have a nice day
Franz

--
Franz M. Sauerzopf
Atominstitut, TU Wien

James Stewart

Oct 16, 2002, 5:56:16 PM10/16/02
I think xwmconfig is great. It is just one of the simple-but-powerful ideas
built into Slackware, it just moves symbolic-links around.

However, if you are used to some of those other Linux distributions that
start up from boot up with a graphical login and wm selection, then what you
are looking for is the xdm/gdm/kdm display manager. Simply enter "init 4"
at a root's login bash prompt and see if this is what you want. If it is,
change the default runlevel line in /etc/inittab from 3 to 4 to make it do
this at bootup.

notbob

Oct 18, 2002, 10:20:26 PM10/18/02
In article <oLIq9.2273$UV3.3...@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>, Ian Cronk wrote:

> Hi,
> I recently installed Slackware 8.1. everything went fine except when I start
> my computer and type startx it loads KDE by default. I realize that I set it
> to load KDE by default during installation but I couldn't figure out how to
> startx to a menu where I could pick a window manager to use.

OK, OK... I realize this is pretty feeble, but I'm new at this kind of
stuff and this is one of my first attempts and customizing. OK, so here's my
~/.xinitrc file

startkde

#gnome-session

...which, obviously, will launch KDE when I type startx. OK, so I created a
~/bin dir. Then I created another file called ~/gscrp, which looks like
this:

#startkde

gnome-session

....you get the idea. Then, in my bin dir, I create a script called
~/bin/gno*. It looks like this:

#!/bin/bash

cp ~/gscrp ~/.xinitrc
startx

Obviously, I had to create a ~/kscrp file and a ~/bin/kde* script file to
change back to kde. I created one executable and one *scrp for each wm I
use. Then, when I log on, I just type kde or gno to launch the one I want.
Don't forget to change the permissions on the scripts and change your path
to include ~/bin.

I know its kind of crude, but it works flawlessly, and I don't
have to log out to change wm's. Hey, this is fun!

BTW... I don't really use gnome, but it does work. I think I'll try blackbox.

nb

+Chiron+

Oct 18, 2002, 11:16:12 PM10/18/02

notbob

Oct 19, 2002, 12:44:47 AM10/19/02
In article <slrnar1j7l.hi...@raven.home>, +Chiron+ wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Oct 2002 02:20:26 GMT, notbob tempted the fates in
> alt.os.linux.slackware by proclaiming the following:
>
>> BTW... I don't really use gnome, but it does work.
>> I think I'll try blackbox.
>
> Yes....
>
> Yes, young warriror...
>
> ...Come to us..... ;)

YOu're so silly.

Ok, C. I'm just about to install. I'm reading the INSTALL file on
configure options and came across the --disable-interlace. What's that all
about? I don't want any lines darkened or interlacing, fake or otherwise.
Is there any good reason to leave this on? Or can I toggle it from

btw ...maybe to Clint Eastwood I'm young.

nb

+Chiron+

Oct 19, 2002, 1:12:10 AM10/19/02

vhunterk

Oct 19, 2002, 2:39:20 AM10/19/02
On Sat, 19 Oct 2002 02:20:26 GMT, notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:

> I know its kind of crude, but it works flawlessly, and I don't
> have to log out to change wm's. Hey, this is fun!

One suggestion, why not use 'case'?

<http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/testbranch.html#EX29>

I also think using a symlink (where would I have come up with this
idea :P ) would make things more sane. That could just be my preference
though.

Nice jobs on the scripting. Hope I provided you with something new to
think about.

Happy scripting,

vhunterk

SHUT UP HIPPY

notbob

Oct 19, 2002, 4:18:21 AM10/19/02
In article <slrnar1q0o.hi...@raven.home>, +Chiron+ wrote:

> You can toggle it, or just leave it be-
> I've got it compiled in, and I've never noticed an issue.

OK, I've got bb installed. Man, I can see why it's so fast. There's
nothing there! I mean, it's REALLY, REALLY, spartan. But, I think I can
get used to it. Did some minor alterations to the menu file (I'm moving
slow).

Couple o' questions. What's this damn slit thingie? Docs say to R-button
click on it, and my .blackboxrc file says it's central-right. Nada. I get
nothing. And howz about key functions. I take it I have to add bbkeys,
right? Will this allow me to row through the windows using alt-tab, or
something similar? I hate having to grab the mouse to focus a window.

nb

notbob

Oct 19, 2002, 4:42:12 AM10/19/02
In article <slrnar1vgl....@5t0rm.5t4rw1nd>, vhunterk wrote:

> Nice jobs on the scripting. Hope I provided you with something new to
> think about.

Thank you. Yes, I'll take a closer look at case.

I'm trying to learn scripting for all the obvious reasons, but there's
something specific I'm trying to figure out. I want to use scripts to
modify other files. IOW, when I do a new install, I want to run one or two
scripts to make all the alterations to other configuration files. Likewise,
I figure I should be able to modify the .xinitrc file directly from the kde*
script without the need of another file. I know how to use regex to find
patterns, but was having probs figuring how to actually edit the text of the
target file. I figured out a way to do it with sed, but again, it generated
interim files. Then, I got a tip from comp.unix.shells for using ed. I'm
flogging that approach now.

Anyway, thanks for the tip on case.

nb

Joost Kremers

Oct 19, 2002, 7:29:48 AM10/19/02
notbob wrote:
> OK, I've got bb installed. Man, I can see why it's so fast. There's
> nothing there!

isn't there? i'd say there's lots. you've got a menu, you've got a
status bar, you've got something called a slit (never seen it myself,
though), you've got window decorations, you can size and resize
windows, you can minimize windows, etc. etc. that's not spartan,
that's bloat. ;-)

http://palm.freshmeat.net/articles/view/581/

--
Joost Kremers http://baserv.uci.kun.nl/~jkremers
a point is just a line that is horizontal and vertical at the same time

+Chiron+

Oct 19, 2002, 12:50:05 PM10/19/02

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002 08:18:21 GMT, notbob tempted the fates in

alt.os.linux.slackware by proclaiming the following:

> In article <slrnar1q0o.hi...@raven.home>, +Chiron+ wrote:
>
> OK, I've got bb installed. Man, I can see why it's so fast. There's
> nothing there! I mean, it's REALLY, REALLY, spartan.

That's the whole idea. =)

Blackbox is a *Window Manager*, not some overly-bloated "Graphical Desktop
Environment" - it simply keeps track of what gets drawn where, and provides
support for some not-so-necessary niceities like wallpapers and some basic
themeing.

- From "http://blackboxwm.sourceforge.net/"

" What is Blackbox?

Blackbox is that fast, light window manager you have been looking for
without all those annoying library dependancies. If you have a C++ compiler
and the X Window System you can compile and use it."

> But, I think I can get used to it.

You will, and your system resources will thank you for it. =)

> Did some minor alterations to the menu file (I'm moving slow).

I'll freely admit that the defaultmenu for BB sucks balls.

You could always do what I did and 'cheat' a bit by using a menu generator
to give you some nice defaults to start from.

Genmenu
http://projects.gtk.mine.nu/genmenu
http://projects.gtk.mine.nu/archive/genmenu-0.9.0.tar.gz

"What is it?

Genmenu is a script capable of generating menus for Blackbox, Fluxbox,
WindowMaker and Enlightenment. It works by checking the current user's
$PATH for a predefined list of binaries and adding them to menu if they are
found.

The following options can be configured during runtime:

* Default font to use in all X terminals
* Default X terminal (will be used to launch all console apps in the
menu)
* Default size of all web browser windows
* Include menu for starting other window managers (yes|no)"

> Couple o' questions. What's this damn slit thingie? Docs say to R-button
> click on it, and my .blackboxrc file says it's central-right. Nada.

It's already there- you just have to put something *in* the slit before you
notice it.=)

Grab yourself a WindowMaker dockapp (all of them will run in the slit)

The DockApp Warehouse
http://www.bensinclair.com/dockapp/

For the purposes of this exercise, we'll use one of my favorites:

'wmcpuload'
http://www.sh.rim.or.jp/~ssato/dockapp/index.shtml

Download, ./configure, make & make install as usual.

Now, when you start the program, start it with &, and you'll see
wmcpuload pop-up *in the slit*, instead of just as a floating app. =)

example: wmcpuload &

> I get nothing.

You don't have anything running (in the slit).
What did you expect to be there, a 'this space for rent' placeholder? ;)

> And howz about key functions. I take it I have to add bbkeys,
> right?

Yup. key-stroke manager support was removed from the actual WM quite some
time ago, (it was rudimentary, at best) and was moved into a seperate
project (bbkeys) where it could receive better attention.

> Will this allow me to row through the windows using alt-tab, or
> something similar?

Yup. That's exactly how I have mine setup.

- From my ~/.bbkeysrc

KeyToGrab(Tab), WithModifier(Mod1), WithAction(NextWindow)

> I hate having to grab the mouse to focus a window.

Agreed. I prefer to use my mouse as little as possible.

- --
+Chiron+ | URL XVQF! NAA YNAQREF FNLF: Erzrzore,
GnuPG Pub Key 848D1A2D -o) | beny frk PNA pnhfr certanapl, hayrff lbh
Linux Kernel 2.4.19 /\\ | hfr na beny pbagenprcgvir. Frr lbhe snzvyl
Slackware 8.1 *w00t* _\_v | cynaavat pyvavp gbqnl!

AthlonRob

Oct 19, 2002, 1:27:24 PM10/19/02
On 19 Oct 2002 11:50:05 -0500, +Chiron+ <Chiron...@OperaMail.com> wrote:
>> Did some minor alterations to the menu file (I'm moving slow).
>
> I'll freely admit that the defaultmenu for BB sucks balls.
>
> You could always do what I did and 'cheat' a bit by using a menu generator
> to give you some nice defaults to start from.

The menus do suck... but do you really use it?

I use mine for a quick click to get a terminal, but that's it. Right
click -> move down 10 pixels, click, and I have a terminal...

Other than that, I just fluxbox's keygrabber for everything. Mod4+T =
Terminal. Mod4+R = bbrun. On and on... I run most things via bbrun,
actuallly.

*do* people use the menus? I really haven't looked at mine at all
lately. :-)

Rob

+Chiron+

Oct 19, 2002, 2:13:11 PM10/19/02

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002 10:27:24 -0700, AthlonRob tempted the fates in

alt.os.linux.slackware by proclaiming the following:

> The menus do suck... but do you really use it?

For a few things, like starting my multimedia apps, or xmame.
(I just recently got the _entire_ .62 series on 7 CD's! w00t!)

> I use mine for a quick click to get a terminal, but that's it. Right
> click -> move down 10 pixels, click, and I have a terminal...

CTRL+ALT+a opens a new transparent aterm for me. =)

I supposeIreally outta get around to making shortcuts for everything that
I use frequently (like slrn), but I'm just so damned lazy lately. =)

> Other than that, I just fluxbox's keygrabber for everything. Mod4+T =
> Terminal. Mod4+R = bbrun. On and on... I run most things via bbrun,
> actuallly.

I never could get bbrun to frikken compile-
(of course, that was a LONG time ago)

/* Note: I just grabbed bbrun again, and it compiled just fine.
It figures, doesn't it? However, if I see one more fucking website with a
black background and some hard-to-see colored text, I'm gonna shoot
somebody. */

I ended-up using 'tkRunit' instead,

http://thaumaturgy.net/~etgold/software/tkRunIt/

which, in essence, is the same thing.
(but it's a bit more configurable.)

Of course, I'm drawn towards tk-based apps

tkRunit
http://thaumaturgy.net/~etgold/software/tkRunIt/

Filerunner
http://www.cd.chalmers.se/~hch/filerunner.html

tkPGP
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Chip/3708/tkpgp/tkpgp.htm

tkMame
http://tkmame.retrogames.com/

I like how clean and simple they are. =)

- --
+Chiron+ | A "practical joker" deserves applause for
GnuPG Pub Key 848D1A2D -o) | his wit according to its quality. Bastinado
Linux Kernel 2.4.19 /\\ | is about right. For exceptional wit one
Slackware 8.1 *w00t* _\_v | might grant keelhauling. But staking him

notbob

Oct 19, 2002, 2:14:04 PM10/19/02
In article <slrnar32tq.f3...@raven.home>, +Chiron+ wrote:

> Blackbox is a *Window Manager*, not some overly-bloated "Graphical Desktop
> Environment" - it simply keeps track of what gets drawn where, and provides
> support....

Where!? Damn, does EVERYTHING have to be configured before I can use it.
grrrr... slrn has no curser in xterm and no backspace for jed in rxvt and
the fonts suck in both. I can appreciate minimalism, but cripes! ...this is
absenteeism. Hell, my tty's have more functionality. I can see I'll be
spending the next week reading man xterm till my eyeballs are screaming for
mercy. Fortunately, I've some experience with aterm. This is going to take
away from my year long attempt to code an
all-blue-text-on-black-background-with-revolving-3d-skull website, isn't it?

As for the slit thingie, I guess that'll have to do without. I have
absolutely no use for some silly toolbar that monitors a bunch of stuff I
paid good money for a computer to do. I figured the slit was a place to
hide porno links.

nb

notbob

Oct 19, 2002, 2:18:45 PM10/19/02
In article <slrnar2h8l.ap...@catv0149.extern.kun.nl>, Joost Kremers wrote:

> ...windows, you can minimize windows, etc. etc. that's not spartan,

I might try that ratpoison thing. I like the idea of full sized windows all
the time and all keybrd control.

nb

Simon

Oct 19, 2002, 2:28:10 PM10/19/02
On 19 Oct 2002 11:50:05 -0500, +Chiron+ <Chiron...@OperaMail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Oct 2002 08:18:21 GMT, notbob tempted the fates in
> alt.os.linux.slackware by proclaiming the following:
>> I get nothing.
>
> You don't have anything running (in the slit).
> What did you expect to be there, a 'this space for rent' placeholder? ;)

Now there's a project for when I'm feeling bored next. :)

>> Will this allow me to row through the windows using alt-tab, or
>> something similar?
>
> Yup. That's exactly how I have mine setup.
>
> - From my ~/.bbkeysrc
>
> KeyToGrab(Tab), WithModifier(Mod1), WithAction(NextWindow)

Oooh, stolen for my .bbkeyrc when I install bbkeys again. Thanks. :)

--
Simon <si...@no-dns-yet.org.uk> **** GPG: F4A23C69
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."

Simon

Oct 19, 2002, 2:29:59 PM10/19/02
On Sat, 19 Oct 2002 10:27:24 -0700, AthlonRob <athl...@nodomainhere.ext>
wrote:

> *do* people use the menus? I really haven't looked at mine at all
> lately. :-)

Occasionally. I have xterm at the top of mine, so I start a few of
those & start almost everything else from the command-line.

Дамјан Г.

Oct 19, 2002, 2:52:20 PM10/19/02
>> OK, I've got bb installed. Man, I can see why it's so fast. There's
>> nothing there! I mean, it's REALLY, REALLY, spartan.

> That's the whole idea. =)

<some interesting stuff shamelessly snipped>

People!!! This is a slackware newsgroup not a window manager group. If you have
questions or opinions about window managers do it in another group.

Blackbox itself is not even supported in Slackware - being in the extra/
directory.

So stop it you f..ing newbies.

:))))))))))))))))))))

--
Дамјан

Во комунизмот човек експлоатира човека...
...во капитализмот е точно обратното.

+Chiron+

Oct 19, 2002, 3:07:11 PM10/19/02

Faux_Pseudo

Oct 19, 2002, 7:09:23 PM10/19/02

_.--- +Chiron+ spoke in alt.os.linux.slackware --------._

> I'll freely admit that the defaultmenu for BB sucks balls.

I found that as well. But after using bbkeys as an interface for a
hell o lot of scripts I found that I don't use the menu anymore. I
haven't deleted .bbmenu yet but I have thought about it. bbkeys with
some scripting knowledge renders the menu useless and unproductive.

> Grab yourself a WindowMaker dockapp (all of them will run in the slit)
>
> The DockApp Warehouse
> http://www.bensinclair.com/dockapp/

These are must. You can keep track of all kinds of stuff without ever
haveing to lift a finger. My favorit is wmfstatus because it can read
a text file and display its contents so it can take any kind of system
data and have fun with it if you know how to script and throw the
scritps in crontab..

Small example edited down for usnet posting.
#!/bin/bash
home=/home/faux/
remotedisk=/mnt/backup/
MAIL=${home}.mail/mbox
lcdrc=${home}.lcdrc
FIELD1="$(df | grep backup | cut -b 53-54)"
FREE="$(free -m -o)"
echo -e "rdisk\t${FIELD1:-0}\tx" > $lcdrc
echo -e "mem\t$(echo "$FREE"| head -2 | tail -1 |awk '{print$3}')\tx" >> $lcdrc
echo -e "free\t$(echo "$FREE"| head -2 | tail -1 |awk '{print$4}')\tx" >> $lcdrc
echo -e "swap\t$(echo "$FREE"| tail -1 |awk '{print$3}')\tx" >> $lcdrc
echo -e "files\t$(ls /data/decoded/ | wc -l | awk '{print$1}')\tx" >> $lcdrc
killall -s USR1 wmfstatus 2>/dev/null

I know if I learned awk better I could completely remove those calls
to head and tail but we can't win them all. Heck I know I could
replace them with sed but I think sed has a touch more overhead then
they do.

> For the purposes of this exercise, we'll use one of my favorites:
> 'wmcpuload'

I like wmcube better.
http://linux.tucows.com/system/preview/58435.html

>> I get nothing.
>
> You don't have anything running (in the slit).
> What did you expect to be there, a 'this space for rent' placeholder? ;)

One of the nice things about blackbox is that it doesn't have a Tip O
The Day thing to tell you about things like the slit. Thats what the
documetnation is for.

'---...____ Faux_Pseudo ________________...---~~~

--
ICQ=66618055 : (Now Playing) http://asciipr0n.com/fp updated=10/16
YIM=faux_pseudo : Rev: /pink_floyd/the_wall/hey_you.mp3

Faux_Pseudo

Oct 19, 2002, 7:12:11 PM10/19/02

--
ICQ=66618055 : (Now Playing) http://asciipr0n.com/fp updated=10/16

YIM=faux_pseudo : Rev: /pink_floyd/the_wall/don't_leave_me_now.mp3
I am the needle : Now: /iron_maiden/roskilde/02_-_Brave_New_World.mp3
in the vain : Fwd: /iron_maiden/powerslave/05_-_the_duellists.mp3

Faux_Pseudo

Oct 19, 2002, 7:18:12 PM10/19/02

--
ICQ=66618055 : (Now Playing) http://asciipr0n.com/fp updated=10/16

YIM=faux_pseudo : Rev: /iron_maiden/roskilde/02_-_Brave_New_World.mp3
I am the bullet : Now: /iron_maiden/powerslave/05_-_the_duellists.mp3
in the gun : Fwd: /pink_floyd/echoes/1_-_02_-_see_emily_play.mp3

Faux_Pseudo

Oct 19, 2002, 7:35:26 PM10/19/02

_.--- notbob spoke in alt.os.linux.slackware --------._

> Damn, does EVERYTHING have to be configured before I can use it.
> grrrr... slrn has no curser in xterm and no backspace for jed in
> rxvt and the fonts suck in both. I can appreciate minimalism, but
> cripes! ...this is absenteeism.

You may find this anoying now but you will love it down the road.
Because you won't get your rc file splaxored[0]. You learn how
everything works and understand why it works that way. You never have
a situtaion were you have to disable some conveniant "default".

> Hell, my tty's have more functionality.

But they don't have wallpaper. Wallpaper was got me to go back to X.
I think that dockapps are whats keeping me here.

> I can see I'll be spending
> the next week reading man xterm till my eyeballs are screaming for
> mercy.

Why use that bloated thing? man aterm. Much smaller much nicer and
very nicely transparent.

> Fortunately, I've some experience with aterm.

Then install aterm. Its all I use.

> I figured the slit was a place to
> hide porno links.

Actually is the place where you find out how much porn you
automagically accquired. =)
pics 81 x
vids 17 x
mp3s 0 x
disk 28 x
mail 9 x

The porno links are hidden here:
http://asciipr0n.com/fp/links.html

But I don't even go to those because I have the Automagic Pr0n O Matic.

'---...____ Faux_Pseudo ________________...---~~~

[0] new word: splaxored, verb; watching your config files get
butchered by automated upgrades that can not grasp what custom
modifications have been done to your configuration by you.
The word is one part haxor and one part bug hitting the winsheild
at 100 [KM]PH.

--
ICQ=66618055 : (Now Playing) http://asciipr0n.com/fp updated=10/16

YIM=faux_pseudo : Rev: /iron_maiden/powerslave/05_-_the_duellists.mp3
I am the silence : Now: /pink_floyd/echoes/1_-_02_-_see_emily_play.mp3
In the scream : Fwd: re/shine_on_you_crazy_diamond_parts_i_thru_v.mp3

Simon

Oct 19, 2002, 8:14:03 PM10/19/02
On Sat, 19 Oct 2002 23:35:26 GMT, Faux_Pseudo <Faux_...@yahoo.comERCIAL>
wrote:

> The porno links are hidden here:
> http://asciipr0n.com/fp/links.html

They're very well hidden: :-)

"The requested URL /fp/links.html was not found on this server."

Faux_Pseudo

Oct 20, 2002, 6:16:01 AM10/20/02

--
ICQ=66618055 : (Now Playing) http://asciipr0n.com/fp updated=10/16

YIM=faux_pseudo : Rev: /pink_floyd/dark_side_of_the_moon/09-eclipse.mp3
I drag you down I: Now: /pink_floyd/misc/dark_side_of_the_moon.mp3
use you up : Fwd: /pink_floyd/misc/dark_side_of_the_moon.mp3

Yeti

Oct 21, 2002, 6:00:57 AM10/21/02
Faux_Pseudo wrote:

> Define hard-to-see-colored-text: http:/asciipr0n.com/fp
<gripe>
Your webpage's ASCII art might be cool but the HTML ...ummm... sucks.
You have inserted two <body> tags and you have no end tags </body> and
</gripe>

...and these weird ASCII things... :P

Yeti

--
"Linux is friendly to user who deserves it."

Registered Linux user #270217

Faux_Pseudo

Oct 21, 2002, 7:13:21 PM10/21/02

--
ICQ=66618055 : (Now Playing) http://asciipr0n.com/fp updated=10/16

YIM=faux_pseudo : Rev: /ministry/filth_pig/07_-_Gameshow.mp3
you let me do : Now: _The_Best_of_Pink_Floyd_-_Disc_2_-_13_-_Bike.mp3
this to you : Fwd: /pink_floyd/the_wall/the_thin_ice.mp3

Simon

Oct 21, 2002, 8:11:57 PM10/21/02
On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 23:13:21 GMT, Faux_Pseudo <Faux_...@yahoo.comERCIAL>
wrote:

> _.--- Yeti spoke in alt.os.linux.slackware --------._
>> you have no end tags </body> and </html>.
>
> echo '</body></html>' > file

May I suggest a change to:

echo '</body></html>' >> file

?

Faux_Pseudo

Oct 22, 2002, 12:15:39 AM10/22/02

--
ICQ=66618055 : (Now Playing) http://asciipr0n.com/fp updated=10/16

YIM=faux_pseudo : Rev: inistry_-_Twelve_Inch_Singles_(04)_Cold_Life.mp3
I am the lover in: Now: elve_Inch_Singles_(01)_Everyday_Is_Halloween.mp3
your bed : Fwd: ncret_blond/02_The_Sky_Is_A_Poisonous_Garden.mp3

Richard James

Oct 22, 2002, 4:25:00 AM10/22/02
Faux_Pseudo wrote:

> Of course the HTML sucks. Everything I know about html I learned from
> ~/.lynxbookmarks.html and running txt2html.pl once or twice 2 years
> ago. If it didn't suck I would be concerned for the world. I can
> remove the extra <body> tags easy enough with sed. But does one need
> to terminate <body> and <html> at all in this case? Consider those
> fixed on my next update either way.

W3C has a html validator
http://validator.w3.org/
it can be a bit picky but can find all those errors in your page.
Basically you upload a file or point it to a URL and it gives you a report
on that page. Go check out microsoft.com

"Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML
parser.

Fatal Error: no document type declaration; will parse without validation
I could not parse this document, because it uses a public identifier that is
not in my catalog. "

Probably because it wants this line at the beginning

It bawks at pages without them so if you have a straight <html> to </html>
document without a doctype it is no good.

PS it is simple to add that line to the top of the page.

A doctype is part of xml it specifies the standard that the document should
meet just like a don't toppost flame in AOLS.

Richard :)

--
Again they chanted RTFM, RTFM, then one of the bozos who I was later to find
out was a Archbozo, he grabbed a large manual off the wall and beganeth to

Simon

Oct 22, 2002, 8:32:59 AM10/22/02
On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 04:15:39 GMT, Faux_Pseudo <Faux_...@yahoo.comERCIAL>

wrote:
> _.--- Simon spoke in alt.os.linux.slackware --------._
>> On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 23:13:21 GMT, Faux_Pseudo <Faux_...@yahoo.comERCIAL>
>> wrote:
>>> _.--- Yeti spoke in alt.os.linux.slackware --------._
>>>
>>> echo '</body></html>' > file
>>
>> May I suggest a change to:
>>
>> echo '</body></html>' >> file
>
> Acutaly? No. ~/file is a temp file that I always use for quick
> redirect jobs like urls or message-ids &c. so there is always
> some kind of data in that file. I think the confusion comes in that
> you read "file" to be $file but as you see here:
>
> for f in .ascii $(find info/ascii-art/F_P/fp/ -type f); do
> cat file >> $f
> done

Ah, I see now. Fair enough. I was taking 'file' to be the HTML file.

AthlonRob

Oct 22, 2002, 2:14:58 PM10/22/02
On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 23:13:21 GMT, Faux_Pseudo <Faux_...@yahoo.comERCIAL> wrote:
> echo '</body></html>' > file
> for f in .ascii $(find info/ascii-art/F_P/fp/ -type f); do cat file >> $f ; done
> for f in .ascii $(find info/ascii-art/F_P/fp/ -type f ); do sed\
> 's/<body>//' $f > file && cat file > $f ; done
>
> #!/bin/bash
> for f in $(find /home/faux/info/ascii-art/F_P/fp/ -print | grep ~$) ; do
> rm -f $f
> done
> for f in $(find /home/faux/info/ascii-art/F_P/fp/ -type d | sed 's#/home/faux/info/ascii-art/F_P/fp/##') ; do
> ncftpput -f /home/faux/.asciipr0n.cfg -m $f /home/faux/info/ascii-art/F_P/fp/$f/*
> done
> EOF

lol, Faux... only you would create Bash scripts to create/fix webpages
instead of opening it with an editor. :-)

You rock! I wish I had half the bash scripting skills you do!

I just find the whole scripting-for-html thing kinda funny. :-)

Rob

notbob

Oct 22, 2002, 3:37:13 PM10/22/02
In article <2j44pa...@dsl-gervais-88.web-ster.com>, AthlonRob wrote:

> lol, Faux... only you would create Bash scripts to create/fix webpages
> instead of opening it with an editor. :-)

Not necessarily. Check out this script tutorial site:

http://linuxcommand.org/wss0030.html

nb

Faux_Pseudo

Oct 22, 2002, 3:55:00 PM10/22/02

--
ICQ=66618055 : (Now Playing) http://asciipr0n.com/fp updated=10/16

YIM=faux_pseudo : Rev: /sacred_reich/independent/08 - Product.mp3
I am the lie that: Now: he_Boxed_Life_-_Disc_2_-_Vacation_In_England.mp3
you belive : Fwd: lins_-_03_-_Think_Tank_-_Disc_1_-_Television.mp3