New Slackware logo

Dan C

Sep 18, 2008, 10:08:07 AM9/18/08
So, what's the consensus on this new Slackware logo...? If you haven't
seen it yet, go look at the site, it's in the upper right corner and is
mentioned by Pat in the news blurb.

http://www.slackware.com

I don't like it. Looks too "kiddy" to me, although it is kinda cool how
it can be used upside down. I prefer the old (original?) logo by far.
I'm pretty surprised that Pat approved of such a change. Thoughts?

Robert Delahunt

Sep 18, 2008, 11:13:41 AM9/18/08
I don't like it as much as the old one.

--
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,
that they are endowed by their CREATOR with certain unalienable Rights,

Rupa Zangpo

Sep 18, 2008, 10:23:36 AM9/18/08
Dan C wrote:
> So, what's the consensus on this new Slackware logo...?

The consensus in the "official" Slackware forum is:

"What the f*** is Slamwars?"

scnr,
Rupa

Lew Pitcher

Sep 18, 2008, 10:50:49 AM9/18/08
On September 18, 2008 10:08, in alt.os.linux.slackware, Dan C
(youmust...@lan.invalid) wrote:

> So, what's the consensus on this new Slackware logo...? If you haven't
> seen it yet, go look at the site, it's in the upper right corner and is
> mentioned by Pat in the news blurb.
>
> http://www.slackware.com

Gaak! Well, the logo is sort of eye-catching, but not in a good way.

Seriously. That's not a logo, that's abstract art.

PV: If you are listening, don't make this change. Perhaps your old logo was
not "modern" enough for some people (it looked good to me), but /this/
isn't worth the change. If you /really/ want to change, change to something
that is either completely abstract (a curved checkmark doesn't even attempt
to read as "Nike", but does just as good), or something completely concrete
("I B M" spells IBM, no matter what the typeface). Anything else is just
either too confusing or too amateurish.

--
Lew Pitcher

Michael Black

Sep 18, 2008, 10:54:49 AM9/18/08
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008, Dan C wrote:

> So, what's the consensus on this new Slackware logo...? If you haven't
> seen it yet, go look at the site, it's in the upper right corner and is
> mentioned by Pat in the news blurb.
>
> http://www.slackware.com
>
> I don't like it. Looks too "kiddy" to me, although it is kinda cool how
> it can be used upside down. I prefer the old (original?) logo by far.
> I'm pretty surprised that Pat approved of such a change. Thoughts?

I think he had a hand in the design. Not implementation, but likely
he had an idea.

That readable both up and down reminds me of how the "American Beauty"
on the cover of the Grateful Dead's album of the same name can be
read that way and also as "American Reality". The Grateful Dead
also have an album titled "Aoxomoxoa" that can be read from left
to right and right to left.

Since we all know Patrick is a DeadHead, it makes sense that this
sort of thing influenced the new logo. And if he didn't say anything
about what he wanted, I'd then guess that the logo designer new
about his interest, and followed suit.

His comment about tshirts and stuff may be the real reason for
the new logo. He can sell everyone new tshirts and stickers and
buttons, while sales may have trickled off as all those who
wanted such things had enough with the old logo.

Michael

Helmut Hullen

Sep 18, 2008, 10:54:00 AM9/18/08
Hallo, Lew,

Du meintest am 18.09.08:

>> http://www.slackware.com

> Gaak! Well, the logo is sort of eye-catching, but not in a good way.

> Seriously. That's not a logo, that's abstract art.

> PV: If you are listening, don't make this change.

<AOL>

Me too!
The logo is ugly!
</AOL>

Viele Gruesse
Helmut

Dan C

Sep 18, 2008, 10:57:36 AM9/18/08
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 10:50:49 -0400, Lew Pitcher wrote:

>> So, what's the consensus on this new Slackware logo...? If you haven't
>> seen it yet, go look at the site, it's in the upper right corner and is
>> mentioned by Pat in the news blurb.
>>
>> http://www.slackware.com

> Gaak! Well, the logo is sort of eye-catching, but not in a good way.

Agreed.

> Seriously. That's not a logo, that's abstract art.

Agreed, again.

> PV: If you are listening, don't make this change. Perhaps your old logo was
> not "modern" enough for some people (it looked good to me), but /this/
> isn't worth the change. If you /really/ want to change, change to something
> that is either completely abstract (a curved checkmark doesn't even attempt
> to read as "Nike", but does just as good), or something completely concrete
> ("I B M" spells IBM, no matter what the typeface). Anything else is just
> either too confusing or too amateurish.

Too late, I'm afraid. The change has already happened, and it's even on
all the shirts/merchandise at the official store.

Perhaps we need to start a mass email protest to Pat...? ;)

psz

Sep 18, 2008, 11:04:31 AM9/18/08
Helmut Hullen wrote:

> The logo is ugly!

Ugly but imaginative IMHO

Paul.

Glyn Millington

Sep 18, 2008, 10:53:04 AM9/18/08
Rupa Zangpo <rupa....@web.de> writes:

That was my reaction - hideous and illegible.

atb

Glyn
--
RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
GAFC http://slackbook.org/ The Official Source :-)

Message has been deleted

Douglas Mayne

Sep 18, 2008, 11:20:39 AM9/18/08
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 09:08:07 -0500, Dan C wrote:
<snip>

> although it is kinda cool how it can be used upside down.

It kind of grows on you. I like it, now.

--
http://www.richardgregory.org/
http://www.richardgregory.org/graphics/flash/rlgsig_site.gif

whudda...@no.email.here.org

Sep 18, 2008, 11:21:48 AM9/18/08

> Dan C wrote:

> > So, what's the consensus on this new Slackware logo...? If you haven't
> > seen it yet, go look at the site, it's in the upper right corner and is
> > mentioned by Pat in the news blurb.
> >
> > http://www.slackware.com
> >
> > I don't like it. Looks too "kiddy" to me, although it is kinda cool how
> > it can be used upside down. I prefer the old (original?) logo by far.
> > I'm pretty surprised that Pat approved of such a change. Thoughts?

I don't like it. Looks like one of those Windows wing-ding fonts...

-- anthony

--
http://www.whuddafug.com

Mark Madsen

Sep 18, 2008, 11:27:44 AM9/18/08
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 09:08:07 -0500, Dan C wrote:

> So, what's the consensus on this new Slackware logo...? If you haven't
> seen it yet, go look at the site, it's in the upper right corner and is
> mentioned by Pat in the news blurb.
>
> http://www.slackware.com
>
> I don't like it. Looks too "kiddy" to me, although it is kinda cool how
> it can be used upside down. I prefer the old (original?) logo by far.
> I'm pretty surprised that Pat approved of such a change. Thoughts?

It busts the Slackware philosophy of not fixing what isn't broken. The
existing logo was well known and recognisable, and easy to read.

The new one is none of those. And while it does read the same upside
down as well, it takes a mental effort to read it as saying Slackware.

It makes me worry that PV might take the same radical approach to /etc
and decide all the configuration should be in a binary registry....

Message has been deleted

Helmut Hullen

Sep 18, 2008, 11:27:00 AM9/18/08
Hallo, Two,

Du meintest am 18.09.08:

> Have a look at the word, "illuminati" as depicted in Dan Brown's
> novel "Angels and Demons",

I'vre read the book - strange story, strange pictures. If I want a
riddle i'd neither read "illuminati" nor the slackware logo.

> it's designed on the same principal,
> it can be read both ways up! As to thoughts I approve.

May be - and where's the beef?

Can I use Slackware backwards? (And then it tells satanic poems?)

Viele Gruesse
Helmut

Message has been deleted

SINNER

Sep 18, 2008, 12:04:17 PM9/18/08
* psz wrote in alt.os.linux.slackware:

Nah, seems like the creator is reading Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. Not
very imaginative.

--
David

Keith Keller

Sep 18, 2008, 1:14:24 PM9/18/08
On 2008-09-18, Mark Madsen <mark.s.ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It busts the Slackware philosophy of not fixing what isn't broken.

This is 100% wrong, of course! From the front page:

"Also, we recently commissioned Mark from Senile Felines Designs to
create a unique new Slackware Logo (that's it there in the upper right),
as we were getting a number of bug reports that the old logo could not
be read easily while standing on one's head. ;-)"

Clearly the new logo is a bug fix. ;-)

--keith

(I don't particularly like the new logo, but I also don't care, since
it's still the same Slackware)

--
kkeller...@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)

Beej Jorgensen

Sep 18, 2008, 1:54:02 PM9/18/08
Dan C <youmust...@lan.invalid> wrote:
>I don't like it. Looks too "kiddy" to me, although it is kinda cool how
>it can be used upside down. I prefer the old (original?) logo by far.

I agree, except maybe not "by far".

Plusses:

* much less bland
* cool upsidedownness
* looks great on a T-shirt

Minuses:

* if you didn't know it was Slackware, you might not know was it said
* probably wouldn't notice the upsidedownness, either
* sort of "kiddy", like you said

I think a lot of the minuses could be addresses with small changes in
the glyphs, but I say this as a non-artist.

Distro still rocks, though. :)

-Beej

»Q«

Sep 18, 2008, 3:15:02 PM9/18/08
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 09:08:07 -0500
Dan C <youmust...@lan.invalid> wrote:

> http://www.slackware.com

If PV comes to his senses soon enough, maybe the slamwars t-shirts will
become collectors' items.

Mark Madsen

Sep 18, 2008, 4:31:26 PM9/18/08
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 10:14:24 -0700, Keith Keller wrote:

> On 2008-09-18, Mark Madsen <mark.s.ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> It busts the Slackware philosophy of not fixing what isn't broken.
>
> This is 100% wrong, of course! From the front page:
>
> "Also, we recently commissioned Mark from Senile Felines Designs to
> create a unique new Slackware Logo (that's it there in the upper right),
> as we were getting a number of bug reports that the old logo could not
> be read easily while standing on one's head. ;-)"
>
> Clearly the new logo is a bug fix. ;-)

This bug was not correctly triaged. Most Slackers run only Slackware,
ever, so the logo is redundant. The real bugfix would have been to do
away with the logo entirely :-)

> (I don't particularly like the new logo, but I also don't care, since
> it's still the same Slackware)

Once people start messing with one thing, others soon follow. What
next? Grub 2 as the default bootloader?

Message has been deleted

Keith Keller

Sep 18, 2008, 5:07:48 PM9/18/08
On 2008-09-18, Mark Madsen <mark.s.ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Once people start messing with one thing, others soon follow. What
> next? Grub 2 as the default bootloader?

regedit for config files! ;-)

--keith

Message has been deleted

Franklin

Sep 18, 2008, 8:18:55 PM9/18/08
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 16:32:33 +0100, Two Ravens spewed forth:

> I do know that you seem to be fond of using someone else's sig
> line without giving them the acknowledgment of being the
> original author that they are due.

I have to agree here. This really does bug the shit out of me for some
reason. I don't what bothers me more - the stolen sig or the fact that
it's not set up correctly.

It's lame either way.

Stephen Bloom

Sep 18, 2008, 9:07:17 PM9/18/08
For what it's worth (not much..) I also prefer the older form.

It's clean, it's straightforward; much like the distro itself.

Steve

Frank Bell

Sep 18, 2008, 11:03:22 PM9/18/08
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 21:07:17 -0400, Stephen Bloom <sbl...@beauty.toad.net>
wrote:

> For what it's worth (not much..) I also prefer the older form.
> It's clean, it's straightforward; much like the distro itself

Same here.

IMO the new logo looks like runes from the Lord of the Rings.

With no glossary in the back of the book.

The old one communicated and had an elegant simplicity.

The new one doesn't communicate and is fancy, but not elegant.

Blumf

Sep 19, 2008, 5:36:03 AM9/19/08
Dan C wrote:
> Perhaps we need to start a mass email protest to Pat...? ;)

Time to fork Slackware!

Somebody setup the domain slackwareclassic.com and have it forward the
slackware.com pages, just redirecting all links of the logo.

No sir, I don't like it! Too much novelty, no substance.

Blumf

Joost Kremers

Sep 19, 2008, 5:46:52 AM9/19/08
Keith Keller wrote:
> "Also, we recently commissioned Mark from Senile Felines Designs to
> create a unique new Slackware Logo (that's it there in the upper right),
> as we were getting a number of bug reports that the old logo could not
> be read easily while standing on one's head. ;-)"
>
> Clearly the new logo is a bug fix. ;-)

that may be, but IMHO the new logo cannot be easily read while standing on
one's head, either. for that matter, it cannot be easily read standing on
one's feet! since when is slackware in the habit of fixing bugs MS-style?

--
Joost Kremers joostk...@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)

mister b

Sep 19, 2008, 7:42:15 AM9/19/08
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 23:03:22 -0400, Frank Bell wrote:

> IMO the new logo looks like runes from the Lord of the Rings.

yesssssssss precious...and we hates it!

Peter Chant

Sep 19, 2008, 1:40:59 PM9/19/08
Glyn Millington wrote:

> Rupa Zangpo <rupa....@web.de> writes:
>
>> Dan C wrote:
>>> So, what's the consensus on this new Slackware logo...?
>>
>> The consensus in the "official" Slackware forum is:
>>
>> "What the f*** is Slamwars?"
>
> That was my reaction - hideous and illegible.

My eyes hurt.

It's sort of clever and would not look out of place on a 1970's youthclub
newsletter. Why not just switch to the 'S' logo from the cd cases?

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Sylvain Robitaille

Sep 19, 2008, 1:54:27 PM9/19/08
Rupa Zangpo wrote:

> The consensus in the "official" Slackware forum is:
> "What the f*** is Slamwars?"

Score one for "brand recognition", I say ... :-/

Sylvain Robitaille s...@alcor.concordia.ca

Network and Systems analyst Concordia University

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Frank Bell

Sep 19, 2008, 5:13:50 PM9/19/08

This doesn't advance the dialog, but I must thank you for the best laugh
I've had in days!

And, boy! did I need a laugh.

Xavier Maillard

Sep 19, 2008, 6:42:48 PM9/19/08
Dan C <youmust...@lan.invalid> writes:

> So, what's the consensus on this new Slackware logo...? If you haven't
> seen it yet, go look at the site, it's in the upper right corner and is
> mentioned by Pat in the news blurb.
>
> http://www.slackware.com
>

> I don't like it. Looks too "kiddy" to me, although it is kinda cool how
> it can be used upside down. I prefer the old (original?) logo by far.

> I'm pretty surprised that Pat approved of such a change. Thoughts?

I do not like it either. Too modern ? Too curvy ? Dunno but it
does not taste good to my eyes.

Old Man

Sep 19, 2008, 7:50:04 PM9/19/08
Dan C wrote:

> So, what's the consensus on this new Slackware logo...? If you haven't
> seen it yet, go look at the site, it's in the upper right corner and is
> mentioned by Pat in the news blurb.
>
> http://www.slackware.com
>
> I don't like it. Looks too "kiddy" to me, although it is kinda cool how
> it can be used upside down. I prefer the old (original?) logo by far.
> I'm pretty surprised that Pat approved of such a change. Thoughts?

It sucks. Just. Plain. Bad. I am glad PV put something on the News page
about it, though. For a while there, I was afraid he'd hired Al.

--
Old Man

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. -
John Kenneth Galbraith

~kurt

Sep 19, 2008, 10:05:20 PM9/19/08
Dan C <youmust...@lan.invalid> wrote:

> Too late, I'm afraid. The change has already happened, and it's even on
> all the shirts/merchandise at the official store.

Oh well, I think it is a mistake. I don't care how odd it looks - I just
think it is bad business to make it so hard to read. But hey, the name
Slackware isn't exactly good business....

I prefered the old webpage style from years back (while we are on the
topic of bitching). It was black with white text.

- Kurt

Danno

Sep 19, 2008, 10:38:57 PM9/19/08
On 2008-09-18, Dan C <youmust...@lan.invalid> wrote:
> So, what's the consensus on this new Slackware logo...?
<snip>
> Thoughts?

Change is bad.

--
Slackware 11.0, 2.6.20, K8M800 s754Sempron3100+, GF6200
RLU #272755

Mark Madsen

Sep 20, 2008, 2:50:37 AM9/20/08
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:50:04 -0400, Old Man wrote:

> It sucks. Just. Plain. Bad. I am glad PV put something on the News
> page about it, though. For a while there, I was afraid he'd hired Al.

</modquote>

Peter Chant

Sep 20, 2008, 8:50:39 AM9/20/08
Old Man wrote:

> It sucks. Just. Plain. Bad. I am glad PV put something on the News page
> about it, though. For a while there, I was afraid he'd hired Al.

Whats wrong with using or modifying the "S" log from here?

http://store.slackware.com/cgi-bin/store/all.html?id=fUIZQ58h:mv_arg=mv_arg:mv_pc=9

That would even make slackware.com colour!

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Peter Chant

Sep 20, 2008, 8:51:16 AM9/20/08
Danno wrote:

> Change is bad.

No, unwarrented and badly thought through change is bad.

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Lew Pitcher

Sep 20, 2008, 9:42:35 AM9/20/08
On September 20, 2008 08:50, in alt.os.linux.slackware, Peter Chant
(REMpe...@CAPpetezilla.ITALSco.uk) wrote:

Indeed. For that matter, there are lots of alternatives on
http://slackware.com/~msimons/slackware/grfx/
/including/ the "S"-on-blue-circle
(http://slackware.com/~msimons/slackware/grfx/shared/bluepiSW.jpg)

--
Lew Pitcher

JohnF

Sep 20, 2008, 10:12:51 AM9/20/08
Beej Jorgensen <be...@beej.us> wrote:
> Minuses:
> * if you didn't know it was Slackware, you might not know what it said

> but I say this as a non-artist.

I agree with the majority (unanimous, I think) opinion that
this new logo was a bad idea. But there are only two
alternatives: (1)return to old logo (my preference), or
(2)design a different new logo. If (1) won't happen,
then somebody has to design a good new slackware logo.
Like Beej, I'm a non-artist, too. But, instead of
just complaining, some capable person needs to put forth
a good alternative. That's the only way anything can
actually happen.
--
John Forkosh ( mailto: j...@f.com where j=john and f=forkosh )

Grant

Sep 20, 2008, 2:59:55 PM9/20/08
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 14:12:51 +0000 (UTC), JohnF <jo...@please.see.sig.for.email.com> wrote:

>I agree with the majority (unanimous, I think) opinion that
>this new logo was a bad idea. But there are only two
>alternatives: (1)return to old logo (my preference), or
>(2)design a different new logo. If (1) won't happen,
>then somebody has to design a good new slackware logo.

There's a new old logo on slackware.com now "slackware classic",
new logo relegated to another, blank-but-for-the-new-logo page.

One would have to say 'slackwars' failed user acceptance testing?

Now the 'slackware classic' is something I like :) Maybe that's a
bounce reaction after slackwars? Happy to see the old logo back.

Grant.
--
http://bugsplatter.id.au/

Dan C

Sep 20, 2008, 3:26:12 PM9/20/08
On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 04:59:55 +1000, Grant wrote:

> There's a new old logo on slackware.com now "slackware classic",
> new logo relegated to another, blank-but-for-the-new-logo page.

Outstanding! Perhaps Pat really is listening... ;)

> One would have to say 'slackwars' failed user acceptance testing?

Not much doubt about that.

Mark Madsen

Sep 20, 2008, 3:27:34 PM9/20/08
On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 04:59:55 +1000, Grant wrote:

> There's a new old logo on slackware.com now "slackware classic", new
> logo relegated to another, blank-but-for-the-new-logo page.

Result!

Lew Pitcher

Sep 20, 2008, 3:41:27 PM9/20/08
On September 18, 2008 10:57, in alt.os.linux.slackware, Dan C
(youmust...@lan.invalid) wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 10:50:49 -0400, Lew Pitcher wrote:
>
>>> So, what's the consensus on this new Slackware logo...? If you haven't
>>> seen it yet, go look at the site, it's in the upper right corner and is
>>> mentioned by Pat in the news blurb.
>>>
>>> http://www.slackware.com

[snip]
>> PV: If you are listening, don't make this change. P
[snip]

> Too late, I'm afraid. The change has already happened, and it's even on
> all the shirts/merchandise at the official store.

Actually, the official store (store.slackware.com) still only carries
merchandise with the older "S-on-blue-disk" and "Underlined Slackware"
logos.

The CafePress store (http://www.cafepress.com/volkerdi) carries merchandise
with the new logo. CafePress is a JIT store - they print it /when/ you
order it, and the logo can easily be changed (they accept art in jpeg, png,
or gif format, by email, from the store "owner"). Pat /could/ remake the
CafePress store with a new logo in seconds, if he found the appropriate
graphic.

Michael Black

Sep 20, 2008, 3:41:43 PM9/20/08
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008, Lew Pitcher wrote:

> On September 18, 2008 10:57, in alt.os.linux.slackware, Dan C
> (youmust...@lan.invalid) wrote:

> [snip]
>>> PV: If you are listening, don't make this change. P
> [snip]
>> Too late, I'm afraid. The change has already happened, and it's even on
>> all the shirts/merchandise at the official store.
>
> Actually, the official store (store.slackware.com) still only carries
> merchandise with the older "S-on-blue-disk" and "Underlined Slackware"
> logos.
>
> The CafePress store (http://www.cafepress.com/volkerdi) carries merchandise
> with the new logo. CafePress is a JIT store - they print it /when/ you
> order it, and the logo can easily be changed (they accept art in jpeg, png,
> or gif format, by email, from the store "owner"). Pat /could/ remake the
> CafePress store with a new logo in seconds, if he found the appropriate
> graphic.

Another way of looking at that is he won't be stuck with excess
merchandise if nobody buys the new logo. The note about the logo
did say he could always go the traditional route with the tshirts
and such if the demand was there.

Michael

Dan C

Sep 20, 2008, 4:50:37 PM9/20/08
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 15:41:27 -0400, Lew Pitcher wrote:

>> Too late, I'm afraid. The change has already happened, and it's even on
>> all the shirts/merchandise at the official store.

> Actually, the official store (store.slackware.com) still only carries
> merchandise with the older "S-on-blue-disk" and "Underlined Slackware"
> logos.
>
> The CafePress store (http://www.cafepress.com/volkerdi) carries merchandise
> with the new logo. CafePress is a JIT store - they print it /when/ you
> order it, and the logo can easily be changed (they accept art in jpeg, png,
> or gif format, by email, from the store "owner"). Pat /could/ remake the
> CafePress store with a new logo in seconds, if he found the appropriate
> graphic.

Ahhhh, you are indeed correct. Thanks for clarifying that. Things are
looking up!

Nobody buy the new logo stuff...! ;)

Old Man

Sep 21, 2008, 6:21:06 PM9/21/08
Danno wrote:

> Change is bad.

Change is good. I'm right behind you.

Helmut Hullen

Sep 22, 2008, 3:35:00 PM9/22/08
Hallo, JohnF,

Du meintest am 20.09.08:

> I agree with the majority (unanimous, I think) opinion that
> this new logo was a bad idea. But there are only two
> alternatives: (1)return to old logo (my preference), or
> (2)design a different new logo.

Choose alternative 1: "may the Schwartz be with you!"

Viele Gruesse
Helmut

notbob

Sep 23, 2008, 12:59:49 AM9/23/08
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 09:08:07 -0500, Dan C wrote:

> I don't like it. Looks too "kiddy" to me, although it is kinda cool how
> it can be used upside down.

Sucks! I'm too old to stand on my head.

nb

notbob

Sep 23, 2008, 1:33:05 AM9/23/08

lol..... good one.

nb

Beej Jorgensen

Sep 23, 2008, 7:35:11 PM9/23/08
notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:
>Sucks! I'm too old to stand on my head.

It's hard to design media everyone likes. :) That reminds me, though:

Reg: It sucks!

Joe: No, son. It looks nice and sells hockey.

Reg: It ain't mean enough. Put some blood in there. Show somebody
gettin' hurt. A groin injury. Put a fuckin' map of Florida in the
background. Get some tits in there! Put a "For Sale" sign on the
bottom.

Joe: I don't want any tits and I don't want any "For Sale" sign!

-Beej, still thinks Pat should keep 'em both

notbob

Sep 24, 2008, 6:24:00 PM9/24/08
On 2008-09-18, whudda...@no.email.here.org <whudda...@no.email.here.org> wrote:

> I don't like it. Looks like one of those Windows wing-ding fonts...

Precisely!

What's next? Skulls and roses? I have no problem with Pat being a deadhead
(personally, I'm grateful they're dead), but let's keep the slack vision in
sight. I think the new logo is silly and pretentious in the extreme and it
will never grace my linux box or chest.

nb - finally lost enough weight to proudly wear my old slack t-shirt again

ChuMaiFat

Sep 25, 2008, 5:54:58 AM9/25/08
notbob wrote:

> nb - finally lost enough weight to proudly wear my old slack t-shirt again

Great! See if you can borrow Dan C's dev/null hat for the complete linux
ensemble.

with kind regards

Chu

ANC

Sep 25, 2008, 10:19:42 PM9/25/08
In article <feidnaUFVKYop0nV...@comcast.com>,
Old Man <bi...@witch.lan.invalid> wrote:

> It sucks. Just. Plain. Bad. I am glad PV put something on the News page
> about it, though. For a while there, I was afraid he'd hired Al.

I'm not a very good graphic designer although after twenty years in the
book publishing biz you get better at knowing what is good design (i.e.
what will sell and what won't... although no one knows for sure.)

This logo is not the worst I've ever seen, but it is close. I doubt it
will be very well received among the Slackware faithful, but my guess is
that overtime it will be accepted.

One thing I can say for sure is that the logo with its retro look and
"trying to be cute" design is a perfect fit if the concept is to portray
Slackware as the best Linux 1996 has to offer. Works great for that.

Al

Peter Chant

Sep 26, 2008, 1:17:16 PM9/26/08
Grant wrote:

> Now the 'slackware classic' is something I like :) Maybe that's a
> bounce reaction after slackwars? Happy to see the old logo back.

Perhaps we just flame PV for not sticking to his guns thus proving that "we"
are impossible to please...

;-)
--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Mark Madsen

Sep 26, 2008, 1:27:09 PM9/26/08
On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 18:17:16 +0100, Peter Chant wrote:

> Grant wrote:
>
>> Now the 'slackware classic' is something I like :) Maybe that's a
>> bounce reaction after slackwars? Happy to see the old logo back.
>
> Perhaps we just flame PV for not sticking to his guns thus proving that
> "we" are impossible to please...

At the moment I see the "slackware linux" logo on slackware.com, but the
"slamwars" logo is prominently displayed on the Wikipedia page for
Slackware....

Helmut Hullen

Sep 26, 2008, 2:14:00 PM9/26/08
Hallo, Mark,

Du meintest am 26.09.08:

> At the moment I see the "slackware linux" logo on slackware.com, but
> the "slamwars" logo is prominently displayed on the Wikipedia page
> for Slackware....

------------------------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org

Revision as of 22:13, 16 January 2007 (edit) (undo)
Remember the dot (Talk | contribs)

-
logo = [[Image:Slackware.jpg|Slackware logo]] |
+
logo = [[Image:Slackware logo.png|Slackware logo]] |

------------------------------------

That's the only remark I have found about the logo. No description about
the contents of the picture(s).

On the german Wikipedia side I still find the old logo (was it
"slackware.jpg" on the "en" webside too?).

I could change the pictures ...

Helmut Hullen

Sep 26, 2008, 6:00:00 PM9/26/08
Hallo, Mark,

Du meintest am 26.09.08:

>> Perhaps we just flame PV for not sticking to his guns thus proving

>> that "we" are impossible to please...

> At the moment I see the "slackware linux" logo on slackware.com, but
> the "slamwars" logo is prominently displayed on the Wikipedia page
> for Slackware....

Who has created the traditional logo?
I've searched the history in the german wikipedia (where this logo is
still shown): I only found the uploader ("Whompage") and some requests
to add some information.

~kurt

Sep 26, 2008, 8:21:59 PM9/26/08
ANC <acanton....@adams-blake.no_spamxxx.com> wrote:

> This logo is not the worst I've ever seen, but it is close. I doubt it
> will be very well received among the Slackware faithful, but my guess is
> that overtime it will be accepted.

I guess you didn't follow the thread - almost no one liked it. I seem to
remember a single positive response. And, the old logo is back on
slackware.com....

> One thing I can say for sure is that the logo with its retro look and
> "trying to be cute" design is a perfect fit if the concept is to portray
> Slackware as the best Linux 1996 has to offer. Works great for that.

You are still jealous, aren't you?

- Kurt

Dan C

Sep 26, 2008, 9:46:49 PM9/26/08
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 19:19:42 -0700, ANC wrote:

>> It sucks. Just. Plain. Bad. I am glad PV put something on the News page
>> about it, though. For a while there, I was afraid he'd hired Al.

> I'm not a very good graphic designer although after twenty years in the
> book publishing biz you get better at knowing what is good design (i.e.
> what will sell and what won't... although no one knows for sure.)

I suspect you're not very good at that, either.

You *do* still read every post here. I always thought so.

> This logo is not the worst I've ever seen, but it is close. I doubt it
> will be very well received among the Slackware faithful, but my guess is
> that overtime it will be accepted.

Hmmmm..... Maybe you didn't read the rest of this thread, after all.

> One thing I can say for sure is that the logo with its retro look and
> "trying to be cute" design is a perfect fit if the concept is to portray
> Slackware as the best Linux 1996 has to offer. Works great for that.

It was indeed the best that Linux had to offer in 1996, just as it is in
2008 (and every year in between).

Bugger off, Mac-boy.

fuzzix

Sep 26, 2008, 10:08:53 PM9/26/08
Dan C wrote:
> I don't like it. Looks too "kiddy" to me, although it is kinda cool how
> it can be used upside down. I prefer the old (original?) logo by far.
> I'm pretty surprised that Pat approved of such a change. Thoughts?

Standard ambigram fare - forced and barely readable. It doesn't lend
itself well to Slackware functionality and philosophy. Keep It Readable
After a 180 Degree Rotation has never been as popular as Keep It Simple,
Stimpy!

If we are in drastic need of a new logo may I humbly suggest this:

<http://i34.tinypic.com/11kf5sj.jpg>

I was up all night working on it.

Dan C

Sep 26, 2008, 10:51:50 PM9/26/08

LOL! Nice.

ANC

Sep 26, 2008, 11:41:27 PM9/26/08
In article <-L-dnU17dcQ64UDV...@earthlink.com>,
~kurt <actino...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> You are still jealous, aren't you?
>
> - Kurt

Not me. It was PV who f---ed you over... and it looks like you and the
rest of the kennel (of wild dogs who seek to dominate this group) are
not happy.

And what are you going to do about it? Do you dare tell your fuhrer that
he screwed up and that you are pissed off about it? Yeah right. Let's
see Dan C. show up at PV's office and beat the crap out of him... which
would be Dan's style... which you would understand if you've been here
for any length of time.

Yeah, old PV f---ed all of you in the butt... with this logo... and
could give a rat's a-- whether or not you like it or don't.

But why do you care? Hey. It's not about market share, right? Why do you
even NEED a logo? No one buys Slackware anymore... it is an Ubuntu,
Suse, Debian world. Slackware is part of the flotsam of Linux.

Al

ANC

Sep 26, 2008, 11:47:06 PM9/26/08
In article <s1ivq5x...@phoenix.fire>,
Peter Chant <REMpe...@CAPpetezilla.ITALSco.uk> wrote:

> Perhaps we just flame PV

Oh I can't wait for that to happen! You really think PV gives a s--t
what you folks think? Um... when was the last time he posted to this
newsgroup? Let me guess... 2005.

PV sees you for the clowns you are. Even HE does not want to get mixed
up with Dan C., Old Man, Kurt, and the rest of the wild dogs who seek to
dominate this newsgroup.

Look at this logo. Man, did you guys take it in the shorts... or what?

Slackwars? Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha,... give me air... I need air... I've not
laughed so hard in years.

Al
"'Slackwars' ... for people who can't spell Slackware... or Ubuntu."

Dan C

Sep 26, 2008, 11:53:44 PM9/26/08
On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 20:41:27 -0700, ANC wrote:

>> You are still jealous, aren't you?

> Not me. It was PV who f---ed you over... and it looks like you and the

> rest of the kennel (of wild dogs who seek to dominate this group) are
> not happy.
>
> And what are you going to do about it? Do you dare tell your fuhrer that
> he screwed up and that you are pissed off about it? Yeah right. Let's

Hey, dumbass. Pat heard the feedback, and has already (several days ago)
changed the logo back to the original.

Now, don't you feel stupid?

> Yeah, old PV f---ed all of you in the butt... with this logo... and
> could give a rat's a-- whether or not you like it or don't.

See above, doofus.

> But why do you care? Hey. It's not about market share, right?

That's right.

Now run along and disappear for another six months, you ignorant fucking
stooge. Go play with that toy "computer" and leave the Linux to those who
know how to use it.

ANC

Sep 27, 2008, 1:07:36 AM9/27/08
In article <pan.2008.09.27....@moria.lan>,
Dan C <youmust...@lan.invalid> wrote:

> Pat heard the feedback, and has already (several days ago)
> changed the logo back to the original.

He did? And where is that written? I see on the OFFICIAL website that he
is still coming all over himself about the new logo and still has a link
to it: http://slackware.com/grfx/shared/slackware_ambigram_logo.png

You got f---ked in the a--. Plain and simple.

Was it good for you?

It's true. Every dog has his day!

Danno

Sep 27, 2008, 1:14:35 AM9/27/08
On 2008-09-27, fuzzix <fuz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If we are in drastic need of a new logo may I humbly suggest this:
>
><http://i34.tinypic.com/11kf5sj.jpg>
>
> I was up all night working on it.

I was thinking this :

Slackware vXX.X

Or maybe with an additional leading space character. I'll work it over
for a few more days...

--
Slackware 11.0, 2.6.20, K8M800 s754Sempron3100+, GF6200
RLU #272755

Mark Madsen

Sep 27, 2008, 3:20:53 AM9/27/08
On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 03:08:53 +0100, fuzzix wrote:

> Dan C wrote:
>> I don't like it. Looks too "kiddy" to me, although it is kinda cool
>> how it can be used upside down. I prefer the old (original?) logo by
>> far. I'm pretty surprised that Pat approved of such a change.
>> Thoughts?
>
> Standard ambigram fare - forced and barely readable. It doesn't lend
> itself well to Slackware functionality and philosophy. Keep It Readable
> After a 180 Degree Rotation has never been as popular as Keep It Simple,
> Stimpy!

Besides, gravity tends to be locally unidirectional on the surface of our
planet.

> If we are in drastic need of a new logo may I humbly suggest this:
>
> <http://i34.tinypic.com/11kf5sj.jpg>
>
> I was up all night working on it.

It's excellent. But it would be even cuter if you added some juggling
kittens.

Beej Jorgensen

Sep 27, 2008, 3:22:32 AM9/27/08
Danno <HEYther...@linuxmail.org> wrote:
>I was thinking this :
>
> Slackware vXX.X

Wow--you even used my favorite font! SWEET!

-Beej

Message has been deleted

fuzzix

Sep 27, 2008, 6:40:44 AM9/27/08

Nah, I just forgot this:

http://i37.tinypic.com/2mcg5jk.jpg

Joost Kremers

Sep 27, 2008, 6:57:53 AM9/27/08
Mark Madsen wrote:
> Besides, gravity tends to be locally unidirectional on the surface of our
> planet.

that's just an illusion caused by the disproportionally large difference in
mass between our planet and you. in reality, you're pulling the earth
towards you just as much as the earth is pulling you towards it.

--
Joost Kremers joostk...@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)

Glyn Millington

Sep 27, 2008, 7:21:22 AM9/27/08
fuzzix <fuz...@gmail.com> writes:

That was it!! Now it's a winner. Have you sent it to Pat V yet?

atb

Glyn
--
RTFM http://www.tldp.org/index.html
GAFC http://slackbook.org/ The Official Source :-)
STFW http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=alt.os.linux.slackware
JFGI http://jfgi.us/

mister b

Sep 27, 2008, 8:29:18 AM9/27/08
On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 22:07:36 -0700, ANC wrote:

> In article <pan.2008.09.27....@moria.lan>,
> Dan C <youmust...@lan.invalid> wrote:

jeezus h christ...the things you read when you've got a hangover...ANC
and Dan Cunt in a sissy-boy slap fight...

fuck off both of you

*plonk*

Old Man

Sep 27, 2008, 11:13:11 AM9/27/08
fuzzix wrote:

Damn you! I fell out of my chair!

--
Old Man

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. -
John Kenneth Galbraith

Old Man

Sep 27, 2008, 12:13:16 PM9/27/08
Helmut Hullen wrote:

> Who has created the traditional logo?
> I've searched the history in the german wikipedia (where this logo is
> still shown): I only found the uploader ("Whompage") and some requests
> to add some information.

The guys who wrote Slackware Linux Essentials (Chris Lumens, David Cantrell,
Logan Johnson) were also the original builders of the web site. One of
them is probably responsible for the logo.

Helmut Hullen

Sep 27, 2008, 1:59:00 PM9/27/08
Hallo, Old,

Du meintest am 27.09.08:

>> Who has created the traditional logo?
>> I've searched the history in the german wikipedia (where this logo
>> is still shown): I only found the uploader ("Whompage") and some
>> requests to add some information.

> The guys who wrote Slackware Linux Essentials (Chris Lumens, David
> Cantrell, Logan Johnson) were also the original builders of the web
> site. One of them is probably responsible for the logo.

I've just seen a Wikipedia image war:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Image:Slackware_logo.png&action=history>

Dan C

Sep 27, 2008, 8:04:49 PM9/27/08
On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 22:07:36 -0700, ANC wrote:

>> Pat heard the feedback, and has already (several days ago)
>> changed the logo back to the original.

> He did? And where is that written?

Where is it *written*? It isn't written, you dumb fuck. You're even
more stupid than I remember you being. It's right there in the upper
right corner of the fucking website, doofus. Right where the bullshit
"new" one used to be, before PV changed it back to the original, as I said.

> I see on the OFFICIAL website that he
> is still coming all over himself about the new logo and still has a link
> to it: http://slackware.com/grfx/shared/slackware_ambigram_logo.png

Yeah, a *link* to it. However, it is not in use on the main page, as it
was a week ago. Can you understand that, dimwit?

Now, weren't you told to bugger off and go play with the other drooling
Mac-boys? Run along, dickmunch.

Keith Keller

Sep 27, 2008, 11:52:59 PM9/27/08
On 2008-09-27, fuzzix <fuz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nah, I just forgot this:
>
> http://i37.tinypic.com/2mcg5jk.jpg

That was awesome. Is it legal to modquote an image? :)

--keith

--
kkeller...@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)

Grant

Sep 28, 2008, 12:36:27 AM9/28/08
On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 20:52:59 -0700, Keith Keller <kkeller...@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:

>On 2008-09-27, fuzzix <fuz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Nah, I just forgot this:
>>
>> http://i37.tinypic.com/2mcg5jk.jpg
>
>That was awesome. Is it legal to modquote an image? :)

Only if you run it through the img2ascii converter :)

Grant.
--
http://bugsplatter.id.au/

Mark Madsen

Sep 28, 2008, 8:13:10 AM9/28/08
On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 10:57:53 +0000, Joost Kremers wrote:

> Mark Madsen wrote:
>> Besides, gravity tends to be locally unidirectional on the surface of
>> our planet.
>
> that's just an illusion caused by the disproportionally large difference
> in mass between our planet and you. in reality, you're pulling the earth
> towards you just as much as the earth is pulling you towards it.

Yeah, I knew that :-)

See:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dynamic-Cosmos-Exploring-Evolution-Mathematics/
dp/0412623005/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207373928&sr=8-1

~kurt

Sep 28, 2008, 3:06:32 PM9/28/08
ANC <acanton....@adams-blake.no_spamxxx.com> wrote:
> In article <-L-dnU17dcQ64UDV...@earthlink.com>,
> ~kurt <actino...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> You are still jealous, aren't you?
>>
>> - Kurt
>
> Not me. It was PV who f---ed you over... and it looks like you and the
> rest of the kennel (of wild dogs who seek to dominate this group) are
> not happy.

How did he fuck me over? The only complaint I ever really had was when
he moved KDE stuff to /opt, which messed up my small / partition. Then
it all got moved back later on. I'm not in the habbit of keeping up with
the changelog....

I could really care less about the logo. I'll leave marketing up to him.

Pat's impact on this world has been much more significant than yours. I
think this is your problem. I mean, despite your attempts for attention,
writing a book no one buys, software very few use, or a few Linux
articles (that I hope are not representative of the quality of your other
products), no one really knows who you are.

> And what are you going to do about it? Do you dare tell your fuhrer that
> he screwed up and that you are pissed off about it? Yeah right. Let's

I could send him an email about any suggestions I have - he can choose to
listen, or ignore it - it is his distribution. My ego isn't so fragile that
if he chooses to ignore me I'll get all upset about it.

> Yeah, old PV f---ed all of you in the butt... with this logo... and
> could give a rat's a-- whether or not you like it or don't.

Apparently he does - he changed it back.

> But why do you care? Hey. It's not about market share, right? Why do you
> even NEED a logo? No one buys Slackware anymore... it is an Ubuntu,
> Suse, Debian world. Slackware is part of the flotsam of Linux.

Heh, wasn't it Gentoo, a few years back? They have lost you precious
market share. Slackware has stayed about the same.

- Kurt

Two Ravens

Sep 28, 2008, 9:05:05 PM9/28/08
On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 20:41:27 -0700, ANC wrote:

> No one buys Slackware anymore...

If the above statement were to be true, how would its, (Slackware®),
proprietor be making a living?

--
Two Ravens
"...hit the squirrel..."

ANC

Sep 28, 2008, 11:33:42 PM9/28/08
In article <48e029c1$0$2501$da0f...@news.zen.co.uk>,
Two Ravens <two-r...@operamail.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 20:41:27 -0700, ANC wrote:
>
> > No one buys Slackware anymore...
>
> If the above statement were to be true, how would its, (Slackware®),
> proprietor be making a living?

Selling T-Shirts and coffee mugs with the new logo. You really think he
is making a California living (in a rather expensive are of the state)
selling his Linux software? If so I have some bonds from AIG and WaMu I
want to sell you!

Slackware is so... yesterday. It's the best distro 1996 has to offer...
and still is.

I get a big kick out of you boys who after all these years still think
you matter! Dan C, Old Man, the whole lot of you are all part of the
past.

It's always fun to come back here every couple of months and tune up the
old violin and see you all dance again.

In a world where everything is changing I can always count on Dan C. to
be his usual obnoxious self. It's all good.

ANC

ANC

Sep 28, 2008, 11:40:54 PM9/28/08
In article <jpednWtdOZAlSELV...@earthlink.com>,
~kurt <actino...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I could really care less about the logo. I'll leave marketing up to him.

I thought it wasn't about market share?

> Pat's impact on this world has been much more significant than yours.

Yeah? How is that? He's a lone linux developer in a huge sea of linux
developers, where distros are a dime a dozen... and where no one of any
consequence cares about his. If it were not for you fan-boys constantly
clicking on the Distrowatch link, Slackware would have long disappeared
off the list.

You want to see what Slackware should be? Try Sidux. You won't go back.

ANC

~kurt

Sep 29, 2008, 12:24:09 AM9/29/08
ANC <acanton....@adams-blake.no_spamxxx.com> wrote:

> Yeah? How is that? He's a lone linux developer in a huge sea of linux
> developers, where distros are a dime a dozen... and where no one of any

Distros may be a dime a dozen, but his distro has been a major one
for longer than any others. According to the linux counter, Debian, Suse,
and Ubuntu have more "market share". Gentoo came, and is going. Red Hat
and Fedora should probably be counted as one - so it (they) still have
a greater market share. Slackware continues to remain strong. Pat has
made a real impact - across the world. You - haven't.

> consequence cares about his. If it were not for you fan-boys constantly
> clicking on the Distrowatch link, Slackware would have long disappeared
> off the list.

Do you really believe this? I mean, are you really that pathetic to believe
that people using Slackware would waste time on distrowatch, clicking
the Slackware link? You can't be that pathetic. Plus, who knows what
the correlation is between distrowatch clicks and actual distro use?
The bottom line is Pat has been able to make a living off of Slackware
for a long time.

His distro and philosophy suit a certain type of person. Those of us who
like that philosophy, will always exist in enough numbers to keep a
distro like Slackware alive. Slackware continues to evolve, btw. Installation
of 12.0 and 12.1 were a breeze. When I finished my after installation
configuration, I couldn't believe how little I had to do to lock the
system down, and get everything working. I think pretty much everything
worked right out of the box. It was almost as easy as running a Mac.

> You want to see what Slackware should be? Try Sidux. You won't go back.

It says it is Debian based. I tried Debian for a bit - didn't like it.

- Kurt

Grant

Sep 29, 2008, 12:45:41 AM9/29/08
On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 23:24:09 -0500, ~kurt <actino...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>It says it is Debian based. I tried Debian for a bit - didn't like it.

I wonder if that is a common thread for slackware users, dislike of Debian?

I've never been patient enough to get debian going, and meeting slackware
after years of redhat was so refreshing, no more rpms ;)

Grant.
--
http://bugsplatter.id.au/

~kurt

Sep 29, 2008, 1:52:12 AM9/29/08
Grant <g_r_a...@dodo.com.au> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 23:24:09 -0500, ~kurt <actino...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>It says it is Debian based. I tried Debian for a bit - didn't like it.
>
> I wonder if that is a common thread for slackware users, dislike of Debian?

I don't know. I really wanted to like it. This was 5 years back, or so,
and I was in an experiementing mood again. I had also given Suse a try
back then. I'll take Debian over Suse any day.

- Kurt

ANC

Sep 29, 2008, 2:44:49 AM9/29/08
In article <1Jidnce4Ptr0xX3V...@earthlink.com>,

~kurt <actino...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Slackware continues to remain strong. Pat has
> made a real impact - across the world.

And that impact is what? That he has created a Linux distro that people
(well at least a few) use? My bet is that more people have left
Slackware than who use Slackware.

> The bottom line is Pat has been able to make a living off of Slackware
> for a long time.

You know this how? He has published his sales figures or his financial
statements? No he hasn't. For all you know, Pat works at WalMart as a
greeter. Or maybe his wife has a high-paying job. I sincerely doubt that
Slackware sales provide Pat with more than a few thousand dollars a
year.

Neither of us can prove our hypothesis so I will accept the possibility
of yours... although knowing you as I do all these years, I doubt you
would accept the possibility of mine. It would be very un-Slackware-like
for you to do so given the "blind faith in all things Slackware" culture
that you live in.

Why don't you write Pat and ask him what his sales were last year or so
far this year. My bet is he would tell you, since you are one of his
fan-boys for so long. Do that and definitively prove one of us right or
wrong.

> His distro and philosophy suit a certain type of person. Those of us who
> like that philosophy, will always exist in enough numbers to keep a
> distro like Slackware alive.

Again, you know this how? You are making a guess, not a statement of
fact. You don't have the first clue as to the numbers. For all you know
there are maybe 100 users of Slackware in the whole world. Or maybe
there are a 100 million. So what is it?

Assuming there IS a "certain type of person" who uses Slackware (and I
think it is a stretch to generalize like that) I'm surprised that they
don't use FreeBSD instead. If you are really looking for a "pure"
operating system, as opposed to a kernel with a lot of 3rd party
applications bolted on, I would think that would be what "you guys"
would use. Beyond Linux From Scratch, what takes longer and is more
complex to install than FreeBSD? You guys should love it.

> Slackware continues to evolve, btw.
> Installation
> of 12.0 and 12.1 were a breeze. When I finished my after installation
> configuration, I couldn't believe how little I had to do to lock the
> system down, and get everything working. I think pretty much everything
> worked right out of the box. It was almost as easy as running a Mac.

I hate to break this to you, but just about every Linux these days works
right out of the box. When was the last time you installed a different
distro just to try it out? Hell, you can even get a BSD distro that
works out of the box (PC-BSD.)

> > You want to see what Slackware should be? Try Sidux. You won't go back.
> It says it is Debian based. I tried Debian for a bit - didn't like it.

Sidux is Debian based but it has some very good Linux developers (many
German) on its team. While it is based on Sid (unstable) they do a great
job making a state-of-the-art system as reliable as possible.

For the hell of it, burn a CD and run it from there and then tell us
what you don't like about it. My bet is that you will dump Slackware and
stick with Sidux. Like I say, I'm sure that more Linux users have dumped
Slackware than still run it.

ANC

Message has been deleted

Michael Black

Sep 29, 2008, 7:38:24 AM9/29/08
On Sun, 28 Sep 2008, ANC wrote:

> In article <1Jidnce4Ptr0xX3V...@earthlink.com>,
> ~kurt <actino...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> Slackware continues to remain strong. Pat has
>> made a real impact - across the world.
>
> And that impact is what? That he has created a Linux distro that people
> (well at least a few) use? My bet is that more people have left
> Slackware than who use Slackware.

The funny thing is, Slackware does routinely get mentioned, and while
"one of the oldest distributions" is often tacked on to that mention,
someone has decided it's worth mentioning when all kinds of also-rans
never get mentioned.

Now maybe it wouldn't get that routine mention if it wasn't still
alive, but it is still alive, unlike so many others.

Michael

Dan C

Sep 29, 2008, 8:46:03 AM9/29/08
On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 20:40:54 -0700, ANC wrote:

> You want to see what Slackware should be? Try Sidux. You won't go back.

HAR! Hahaha! LOL!

Isn't that what you were in here saying about "Kanotix" a couple of years
ago? That it was the greatest thing ever? Yeah, it's really turned into
a powerhouse distro, eh?

Since you seem to be so enthralled by the Distrowatch "rankings", I just
checked and Kanotix is number *82*. Slackware is number 12, and Sidux
is 24, BTW.

Sidux is just the latest in a long string of Debian clones seeking to
capitalize on the success of Noobuntu. It'll be gone soon.

Why don't you be gone too, Mac-boy. You don't even use Linux, and never
really did. Bugger off and go play with your toy computer.

nospam...@nospam.nospam.nospam

Sep 29, 2008, 9:33:39 AM9/29/08

ANC farted:

>You want to see what Slackware should be? Try Sidux. You won't go back.

Why should I take your advice when you can't even spell the name of your distro?

nospam...@nospam.nospam.nospam

Sep 29, 2008, 9:53:49 AM9/29/08

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dranyamr&btnG=Search

Dan C sez:

>On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 20:40:54 -0700, ANC wrote:
>
>> You want to see what Slackware should be? Try Sidux. You won't go back.
>
>HAR! Hahaha! LOL!
>
>Isn't that what you were in here saying about "Kanotix" a couple of years
>ago? That it was the greatest thing ever? Yeah, it's really turned into
>a powerhouse distro, eh?
>
>Since you seem to be so enthralled by the Distrowatch "rankings", I just
>checked and Kanotix is number *82*. Slackware is number 12, and Sidux
>is 24, BTW.
>
>Sidux is just the latest in a long string of Debian clones seeking to
>capitalize on the success of Noobuntu. It'll be gone soon.

He will be touting OpenGEU next. Free clue: the distros worth looking
at are all listed at http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

Distrowatch's list of suggested Slackware-based alternatives:
Zenwalk Linux
VectorLinux
SLAX
Slamd64 Linux
Bluewhite64 Linux
Wolvix
GoblinX

Distrowatch's list of other distributions with similar philosophies:
Arch Linux
Frugalware Linux
KateOS

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dranyamr&btnG=Search

~kurt

Sep 29, 2008, 9:33:04 PM9/29/08
ANC <acanton....@adams-blake.no_spamxxx.com> wrote:
> In article <1Jidnce4Ptr0xX3V...@earthlink.com>,
> ~kurt <actino...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> Slackware continues to remain strong. Pat has
>> made a real impact - across the world.
>
> And that impact is what? That he has created a Linux distro that people
> (well at least a few) use? My bet is that more people have left
> Slackware than who use Slackware.

At the very least, he has created the best distro that I have used.

> Neither of us can prove our hypothesis so I will accept the possibility
> of yours... although knowing you as I do all these years, I doubt you
> would accept the possibility of mine. It would be very un-Slackware-like
> for you to do so given the "blind faith in all things Slackware" culture
> that you live in.

It makes no difference to me - as long as he continues to produce this
distro, I'm happy. You have been predicting Slackware's doom for a long
time now. Even if I was the only user - I'm happy.

> Why don't you write Pat and ask him what his sales were last year or so
> far this year. My bet is he would tell you, since you are one of his
> fan-boys for so long. Do that and definitively prove one of us right or
> wrong.

He would probably tell me it is none of my business, and it isn't.

>> His distro and philosophy suit a certain type of person. Those of us who
>> like that philosophy, will always exist in enough numbers to keep a
>> distro like Slackware alive.
>
> Again, you know this how? You are making a guess, not a statement of
> fact. You don't have the first clue as to the numbers. For all you know
> there are maybe 100 users of Slackware in the whole world. Or maybe
> there are a 100 million. So what is it?

My best guess is based on the linux counter project. Not proof, but
the best that is out there. I combine that with the people I know
who like Slackware, then extrapolate into a generalization (it is a
big world).

> Assuming there IS a "certain type of person" who uses Slackware (and I
> think it is a stretch to generalize like that) I'm surprised that they
> don't use FreeBSD instead. If you are really looking for a "pure"

I looked into the BSDs years ago - I decided to stick with Linux. So
far I'm happy with that decision. The reasoning behind it is long,
and would require more effort to explain than you are worth.

> operating system, as opposed to a kernel with a lot of 3rd party
> applications bolted on, I would think that would be what "you guys"
> would use. Beyond Linux From Scratch, what takes longer and is more
> complex to install than FreeBSD? You guys should love it.

I use Slackware because it is easy, and saves me time.

> For the hell of it, burn a CD and run it from there and then tell us
> what you don't like about it. My bet is that you will dump Slackware and
> stick with Sidux. Like I say, I'm sure that more Linux users have dumped
> Slackware than still run it.

I'm on dialup - the only other distro I work with now days is Red Hat
Enterprise Linux, or whatever they care calling it now days.

- Kurt

Dan C

Sep 29, 2008, 9:45:16 PM9/29/08
On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 23:44:49 -0700, ANC wrote:

<snip>

> For the hell of it, burn a CD and run it from there and then tell us
> what you don't like about it.

I did this today. Got the XFCE version and it boots up fine. Doesn't
look any different than any of the other Noobuntu clones out there.
Doesn't run any better, or worse. Doesn't do anything that any other
distro doesn't do. The deal-breaker for me would be that it is
Debian-based, and therefore is "strange". Things aren't located where
they should be, and config files are *very* weird. Why bother?

> My bet is that you will dump Slackware and stick with Sidux.

You lose the bet. How much do you owe me?

> Like I say, I'm sure that more Linux users have dumped Slackware than
> still run it.

You're "sure", huh? How could you possibly know something that farfetched
and silly?

Oh, yeah. You're ANC. I forgot who I was dealing with there for a second.

You're a moron, and completely clueless about all things Linux.

Bugger off, simpleton.

It is loading more messages.