2008 on CDs?

Baldeagle

Aug 25, 2007, 7:08:57 PM8/25/07
Does any one have an idea as to if 2008 will be available on CDs reather
than just on a DVD?

Bit Twister

Aug 25, 2007, 7:48:37 PM8/25/07
On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 23:08:57 GMT, Baldeagle wrote:
> Does any one have an idea as to if 2008 will be available on CDs reather
> than just on a DVD?

You would think so if the beta2 cds/dvd is out.
http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandriva/2008.0/Development/Beta2

JTJersey

Aug 25, 2007, 9:08:46 PM8/25/07

Think any of these effects will work with a dual monitor setup? 3D
effects in 2007 fail completely with Gnome and only marginally work with
KDE when running dual LCD's.

--
Registered Linux User #267152

Dave Farrance

Aug 26, 2007, 6:21:47 AM8/26/07
Baldeagle <elfeg...@verizon.net> wrote:

>Does any one have an idea as to if 2008 will be available on CDs reather
>than just on a DVD?

I miss the CD version too.

I occasionally need to put Linux on an old PC or laptop, with only a CD
drive, and limited disk space, and being able to select which packages
get installed was useful. The "One" CDs don't seem to allow you to
select the packages, unless I'm missing something, and they expand to
about 2.5G.

I put Puppy Linux on a old laptop recently, and that worked OK. But I
don't want to change from Mandriva, at the moment, because the other top
Linux distros don't really have anything as good as the Mandriva Control
Center for central system management that just works.

--
Dave Farrance

Baldeagle

Aug 27, 2007, 5:25:21 PM8/27/07
JTJersey wrote:

I'm running a legacy nvidia card so the wonders of 3D are out of my grasp
but I refuse to change away from Mandriva and if and when the 3D becomes
too inticive it will be that which causes me to upgrade my card. I skipped
the M-Spring edition but if the 2008 is only on DVD it means having to fork
out for a player and card.

Baldeagle

Aug 27, 2007, 5:34:57 PM8/27/07
Bit Twister wrote:

I took a half hearted look at one of the Mandriva pages and only saw the DVD
download for the beta2. As a matter of fact, that was what prompted me to
pose the question in the first place. Again, I refuse to change away from
Mandriva. I'm sure it's the best OS out there. This brings to mind another
question. With all the new CPUs by Intel and AMD, how far along is Mandriva
in supplying engins for the same. In other words, if I were finally to
upgrade or buy a whole new rig, what would be my best move as a die hard
Mandriva user?

Robert M. Riches Jr.

Aug 27, 2007, 5:47:27 PM8/27/07

Another option if you don't have a DVD is to use the hard
disk installation method. Before attempting the
installation, copy the ISO to a place on the new machine
that won't be formatted by the installation. Burn a CD from
the image named "boot.iso" and boot from that to start the
installation.

NFS installation might be another option if you have an NFS
server the installation process can use to get at the DVD
image or contents.

HTH

--
Robert Riches
spamt...@verizon.net

Bit Twister

Aug 27, 2007, 6:46:39 PM8/27/07
On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 21:34:57 GMT, Baldeagle wrote:
> Bit Twister wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 23:08:57 GMT, Baldeagle wrote:
>>> Does any one have an idea as to if 2008 will be available on CDs reather
>>> than just on a DVD?
>>
>> You would think so if the beta2 cds/dvd is out.
>> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandriva/2008.0/Development/Beta2

> I took a half hearted look at one of the Mandriva pages and only saw the DVD
> download for the beta2.

ftp://ftp.ciril.fr/pub/linux/mandrakelinux/devel/iso/2008.0/

> As a matter of fact, that was what prompted me to
> pose the question in the first place. Again, I refuse to change away from
> Mandriva. I'm sure it's the best OS out there.

Best _distribution_ for easy install with good package selection with no
hassles for the power user. :)

> This brings to mind another question. With all the new CPUs by Intel
> and AMD, how far along is Mandriva in supplying engins for the
> same. In other words, if I were finally to upgrade or buy a whole
> new rig, what would be my best move as a die hard Mandriva user?

Do some homework on the video hardware. I have a 64 bit system. Not all
plugins have been created for 64 bit. 2007.1 is causing problems on
login. Mouse pointer is half the screen away from where video driver
thinks it should be. Several logout/ins will get it right.
Stinking ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 (RS480 5954 on board chip set) sucks.

You need PLF-non free ati driver unless you want to do your own ATI
video driver compile/install to get the video driver needed to play
linux games.

I picked up dvd burnner for my old Celeron 1 ghz box. No swapping cds
during install is kinda nice.

Downside, the non-free packages on cd and not on dvd for that beta set.

Baldeagle

Aug 27, 2007, 6:53:44 PM8/27/07

Thanks Robert,
The 'boot.iso' on a protected partition is a wonderful idea.

Robert M. Riches Jr.

Aug 27, 2007, 10:14:19 PM8/27/07

Just to make sure that was just a slip of the fingers and
not a real misunderstanding. "boot.iso" is a rather small
file and gets burned to a CD to get into the installer. You
put the _REST_ of the DVD (or CD set) in a protected
partition. (Actually, you put the whole DVE or CD set
there.)

JTJersey

Aug 27, 2007, 11:03:15 PM8/27/07

I've got a stack of disks here with various distro's on them, but I still
prefer Mandriva to any of the others as well. This Mandriva 2007.1
system is by no means state of the art, but this 3.2Gig dual core pentium
runs it just fine. I've no plans on moving to a 64bit system any time
soon. It just doesn't sound like it's ready for prime time.

Terry Dwyer

Aug 28, 2007, 4:10:45 PM8/28/07
to spamt...@verizon.net
Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

This technique also works if the install DVD is on an external USB DVD
drive;
it's valuable for an older laptop which can't boot from USB & only has a
CDROM. I tried it as an experiment & the USB install DVD for
Mandriva-07 spring was detected & the install started. It was stopped
early since MDK-07 was already installed by conventional methods.