AVI to DVD

Keith

May 21, 2011, 4:15:00 AM5/21/11

I have an AVI movie file that I would like to burn to a DVD to play on
my regular DVD player. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do
this. Google shows a bunch of advice for Ubuntu/Gnome users, but I
can't find a thing about KDE. On a Winblows box I would probably run it
through Format Factory to convert to VOB and then burn those - I have to
assume there is some 'nix equivalent somewhere.

Any handy hints appreciated.

Keith

May 21, 2011, 6:57:59 AM5/21/11
I know - following up self and all.

But I think I've found the answer after a couple of hours searching, at:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Applications_GUI_Multimedia/AVI_to_DVD

It's running through now - we'll see if the result is usable.

Mark Draheim

May 21, 2011, 7:25:55 AM5/21/11
Keith wrote:

command lines are fine but try devede. It's exactly what you are
looking for. RPM package should be available.

cheers

Mark

Gireesh

May 21, 2011, 2:19:05 PM5/21/11

If you are comfortable with Format Factory (and it does the job for you)
why not use it via wine? I use it with wine frequently and it works quite
well.

Robert Riches

May 21, 2011, 11:10:51 PM5/21/11

If it doesn't, here's the script I use:

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv cut here vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
#!/bin/csh -f

# C-shell script to convert a video to a playable DVD.
#
# Syntax:
#
# video2dvd input-file title
#
# It reads input-file, in whatever format it is.
#
# It creates the intermediate files with "title".

if ( "" == "$2" ) then
echo usage: $0 input-file title
exit(1)
endif

set infile = $1
set title = $2

ffmpeg -i $infile -y -target ntsc-dvd -threads 2 -mbd rd -trellis 2 \
-cmp 2 -subcmp 2 -pass 1/2 $title-final.mpg

dvdauthor --title -o $title.dir -f $title-final.mpg

dvdauthor -o $title.dir -T

mkisofs -o $title.iso $title.dir

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/cdwriter=$title.iso
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ cut here ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

HTH

--
Robert Riches
spamt...@jacob21819.net

Chris F.A. Johnson

May 22, 2011, 8:01:48 PM5/22/11

Or, as a Unix shell script:

# shell script to convert a video to a playable DVD.

#
# Syntax:
#
# video2dvd input-file title
#
# It reads input-file, in whatever format it is.
#
# It creates the intermediate files with "title".

if [ -z "$2" ]; then
echo "usage: ${0##*/} input-file title"
exit 1
endif

infile=$1
title=$2

ffmpeg -i "$infile" -y -target ntsc-dvd -threads 2 -mbd rd -trellis 2 \
-cmp 2 -subcmp 2 -pass 1/2 "$title-final.mpg"

dvdauthor --title -o "$title.dir" -f "$title-final.mpg"

dvdauthor -o "$title.dir" -T

mkisofs -o "$title.iso" "$title.dir"

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z "/dev/cdwriter=$title.iso"

--
Chris F.A. Johnson, <http://cfajohnson.com>
Author:

Darklight

May 23, 2011, 5:02:48 AM5/23/11
Keith wrote:

use avidemux2 to convert avi file to mpg file
then use dvdstyler to convert/formate mpg file to vob
and k3b to burn vob file to disk.
yes it's long winded but it works.

Keith

May 23, 2011, 12:52:47 PM5/23/11
On 23/05/11 01:01, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

> Or, as a Unix shell script:

<snip>

> if [ -z "$2" ]; then
> echo "usage: ${0##*/} input-file title"
> exit 1
> endif

I think I'll change those 'endif' to 'fi' for bash, but good work guys -
thanks.

Kenny McCormack

May 24, 2011, 7:15:51 AM5/24/11
In article <slrnitgvlr.l...@one.localnet>,

Thanks. This looks like it could work (Translation: I think I have all the
needed tools already installed on my system).

However, it looks to me like this is "one input video file -> one output DVD"
What about if you want multiple videos onto a single DVD (as is usually the
case)?

--
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is
no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.

- John Kenneth Galbraith -

Big Yellow Hats

May 24, 2011, 8:03:12 AM5/24/11
Quoth Kenny McCormack :

> Thanks. This looks like it could work (Translation: I think I have
> all the needed tools already installed on my system).
>
> However, it looks to me like this is "one input video file -> one
> output DVD" What about if you want multiple videos onto a single DVD
> (as is usually the case)?

Use devede as was already suggested.

--
The Man in the Yellow Hat
Linux with a monkey, since 1996.

Mauro Orlandini

May 24, 2011, 8:08:11 AM5/24/11
Il Sat, 21 May 2011 09:15:00 +0100, Keith ha scritto:

> I have an AVI movie file that I would like to burn to a DVD to play on
> my regular DVD player. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do

Just install one (or all) of the following and use the one you like most

tovid
2ManDVD
devede
mandvd
qdvdauthor

(I am sure there are more...) All work perfectly under KDE.

Ciao, Mauro

Kenny McCormack

May 24, 2011, 8:48:30 AM5/24/11
In article <2024166.bFLEhVFhnB@curiousmonkey>,

Big Yellow Hats <resting.c...@invalid.home.invalid> wrote:
>Quoth Kenny McCormack :
>

>> Thanks. This looks like it could work (Translation: I think I have
>> all the needed tools already installed on my system).
>>
>> However, it looks to me like this is "one input video file -> one
>> output DVD" What about if you want multiple videos onto a single DVD
>> (as is usually the case)?
>>

>Use devede as was already suggested.

Tried it - don't like it. Want to use the method of this shell script.

by the wise as foolish,
and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Robert Riches

May 24, 2011, 10:39:32 PM5/24/11

I have not studied or experimented doing multiple input files per
output DVD. However, I _think_ you would do the ffmpeg and first
dvdauthor for _each_ input file, followed by one instance of the
second dvdauthor command. The $title-final.mpg in two commands
would have to be modified from what is in this script. If that
is the case, I would put the title as the first argument to the
script and the input files as the remainder of the arguments.

Another question to consider would be whether you want the input
files simply concatenated into a single long feature, or whether
you want each input file to be a separate feature on the DVD. In
that case, you may need to build some sort of table-of-contents
infrastructure to put on the DVD.

Adam

May 24, 2011, 10:50:38 PM5/24/11
Keith wrote:
> I have an AVI movie file that I would like to burn to a DVD to play on
> my regular DVD player.

Some (not sure how many) DVD players can handle AVI files as is,
such as the Toshiba DVR670 we got my mother for her last birthday.

Adam

Kenny McCormack

May 25, 2011, 3:09:43 PM5/25/11
In article <slrnitoqv4.s...@one.localnet>,
Robert Riches <spamt...@verizon.net> wrote:

>I have not studied or experimented doing multiple input files per
>output DVD. However, I _think_ you would do the ffmpeg and first
>dvdauthor for _each_ input file, followed by one instance of the
>second dvdauthor command. The $title-final.mpg in two commands
>would have to be modified from what is in this script. If that
>is the case, I would put the title as the first argument to the
>script and the input files as the remainder of the arguments.
>
>Another question to consider would be whether you want the input
>files simply concatenated into a single long feature, or whether
>you want each input file to be a separate feature on the DVD. In
>that case, you may need to build some sort of table-of-contents
>infrastructure to put on the DVD.
>
>HTH

Yes. Thanks for posting the script and for this last response.

A few notes on this procedure. First, I was able to get the script to work
and to produce a DVD that played on my stand-alone DVD player, subject to a
few caveats:
1) I used an MP4 file, not an AVI, as my base file. ffmpeg didn't work
(generated error messages) with the MP4 file, so I used WinFF (under
Windows) to create the MPG file. I used the NTSC 4:3 HQ output setting.
2) You have to use the -dvd-video option on the "mkisofs" command.
Without that, the stand-alone DVD player rejects the disk (Interestingly,
VLC will play the ISO file without complaint). Note that my DVD player is
pretty finicky about what it accepts; this is actually a good thing, because
I figure that if it accepts a disk, then it should work just about anywhere.
3) I didn't use growisofs to burn the DVD, although I have used it in
the past for DVDs. I used a Windows program for that step, but it may well
be that there is some overlap of functionality between mkisofs and
growisofs. I.e., that your -dvd-compat is sort of the same thing as
-dvd-video. Anyway, I don't see any reason not to use that option in the
mkisofs step.

Next, note that what you end up with is a bare-bones DVD, with no menu or
buttons (when you stick it in the player, it starts up directly displaying
the video). It seems like it ought to be possible to produce some kind of
simple template for creating an at least somewhat "normal" looking DVD here.
I found this site:

http://radagast.bglug.ca/linux/dvd_authoring/dvd_authoring.html

to be quite interesting and helpful. The focus there is on using an XML
file to drive dvdauthor - which seems the more normal way to do it. They
give an example (shown below) of what looks to be close to a good template
for a simple DVD that would have multiple videos and a very simple menu to
select and play them. I have yet to try and test it out, though. Do you
have any comments on this?

--- Cut Here ---
<dvdauthor dest="dvd">
<vmgm>
<menus>
<pgc entry="title">
<vob file="intro.mpg"/>
<post>jump titleset 1 menu;</post>
</pgc>
</menus>
</vmgm>
<titleset>
<menus>
<pgc entry="root">
<button> jump title 1; </button>
<button> jump title 2; </button>
<button> jump title 3; </button>
<button> jump title 4; </button>
<vob file="menu.mpg" pause="inf"/>
</pgc>
</menus>
<titles>
<pgc>
<vob file="01.mpg" chapters="0,5:00,10:00,15:00,20:00,25:00,30:00,35:00" pause="3"/>
<post> call menu; </post>
</pgc>
<pgc>
<vob file="02.mpg" chapters="0,5:00,10:00,15:00,20:00,25:00,30:00,35:00" pause="3"/>
<post> call menu; </post>
</pgc>
<pgc>
<vob file="03.mpg" chapters="0,5:00,10:00,15:00,20:00,25:00,30:00,35:00" pause="3"/>
<post> call menu; </post>
</pgc>
<pgc>
<vob file="04.mpg" chapters="0,5:00,10:00,15:00,20:00,25:00,30:00,35:00" pause="3"/>
<post> call menu; </post>
</pgc>
</titles>
</titleset>
</dvdauthor>
--- Cut Here ---

--
"We should always be disposed to believe that which appears to us to be
white is really black, if the hierarchy of the church so decides."

- Saint Ignatius Loyola (1491-1556) Founder of the Jesuit Order -

Robert Riches

May 25, 2011, 10:20:02 PM5/25/11

Thank you for calling my attention to this option. I put it in
my script for next time I burn a DVD. The mkisofs man page has
more information such as that the directory name VIDEO_TS and the
names of all files must be uppercase-only. I may rework my
script at some point to satisfy those restrictions.

> 3) I didn't use growisofs to burn the DVD, although I have used it in
> the past for DVDs. I used a Windows program for that step, but it may well
> be that there is some overlap of functionality between mkisofs and
> growisofs. I.e., that your -dvd-compat is sort of the same thing as
> -dvd-video. Anyway, I don't see any reason not to use that option in the
> mkisofs step.
>
> Next, note that what you end up with is a bare-bones DVD, with no menu or
> buttons (when you stick it in the player, it starts up directly displaying
> the video). It seems like it ought to be possible to produce some kind of
> simple template for creating an at least somewhat "normal" looking DVD here.
> I found this site:
>
> http://radagast.bglug.ca/linux/dvd_authoring/dvd_authoring.html
>
> to be quite interesting and helpful. The focus there is on using an XML
> file to drive dvdauthor - which seems the more normal way to do it. They
> give an example (shown below) of what looks to be close to a good template
> for a simple DVD that would have multiple videos and a very simple menu to
> select and play them. I have yet to try and test it out, though. Do you
> have any comments on this?

Cool. I'll save your posting around so I will have that URL
if/when I want to make a DVD with multiple files and a menu.

Thanks,

Mauro Orlandini

May 26, 2011, 4:06:13 AM5/26/11
Il Wed, 25 May 2011 19:09:43 +0000, Kenny McCormack ha scritto:

> to be quite interesting and helpful. The focus there is on using an XML
> file to drive dvdauthor - which seems the more normal way to do it.
> They give an example (shown below) of what looks to be close to a good
> template for a simple DVD that would have multiple videos and a very
> simple menu to select and play them. I have yet to try and test it out,
> though. Do you have any comments on this?

I am always amazed why people want to reinvent the wheel... There is
already a bunch of scripts (in python) under the name tovid.

If you use its graphical interface, you can build EXACTLY what you want
(multiple video files with DVD menus and buttons): the output of the
tovid program is a "script" that calls mplayer OR ffmpeg to convert the
file in MPEG, makemenu to do the menus (with all the frills - chosing of
the font, background image, music in the menu, etc), and then makexml to
create the XML file.

There are more than 100 options for controlling things like the
subtitles, the audio volume, the fps (frame per second) of the video the
positioning of the chapter times, and so on...

Just give a try to tovid-gui and let me know... I think this is the
faster and easier way to do things... ;-)

Ciao, Mauro