fuse problem

Keith Willis

Aug 30, 2007, 12:10:21 PM8/30/07

Thanks to several people here I recently managed to get read/write access to
my NTFS partitions from mandriva 2007.1 by using the ntfs-3g module.

The only minor annoyance is that on boot, I get a warning telling me
that I have a 'deficient' version of Fuse, and suggesting version
2.6.0 or later, except for 2.6.2 which has a problem.  According to
the package manager, I actually have 2.6.3 installed.

Also on system shutdown I get a "FAILED" status when it tries to send a TERM
signal to Fuse.

I downloaded the latest version of the fuse module and tried building it,
but got an error from configure about fuse already being in the kernel, and
that building was disabled.

Any ideas about how to get rid of the warning, or replace the shipped
version with the download version?

Thanks.

David W. Hodgins

Sep 1, 2007, 1:19:31 PM9/1/07
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 12:10:21 -0400, Keith Willis <keith-...@THIS.STUFF.bytebrothers.co.uk> wrote:

> The only minor annoyance is that on boot, I get a warning telling me
> that I have a 'deficient' version of Fuse, and suggesting version
> 2.6.0 or later, except for 2.6.2 which has a problem.  According to
> the package manager, I actually have 2.6.3 installed.
> Also on system shutdown I get a "FAILED" status when it tries to send a TERM
> signal to Fuse.

Try installing the latest kernel (and source, or source stripped).
urpmi kernel-source-2.6.17.15mdv kernel-2.6.17.15mdv

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Keith Willis

Sep 3, 2007, 7:50:32 AM9/3/07
David W. Hodgins wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 12:10:21 -0400, Keith Willis
> <keith-...@THIS.STUFF.bytebrothers.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> The only minor annoyance is that on boot, I get a warning telling me
>> that I have a 'deficient' version of Fuse, and suggesting version
>> 2.6.0 or later, except for 2.6.2 which has a problem.  According to
>

> Try installing the latest kernel (and source, or source stripped).
> urpmi kernel-source-2.6.17.15mdv kernel-2.6.17.15mdv

I've done that, to no avail, I'm afraid. As I think I said in the OP, I
tried to build the downloaded driver (v2.7.0) as well, but it tells me that
it is disabling the build as the driver (v2.6.3) is already in the kernel.

Any advice appreciated.

David W. Hodgins

Sep 5, 2007, 5:26:43 PM9/5/07
On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 07:50:32 -0400, Keith wrote in alt.os.linux.mandriva:

> I've done that, to no avail, I'm afraid. As I think I said in the OP, I
> tried to build the downloaded driver (v2.7.0) as well, but it tells me that
> it is disabling the build as the driver (v2.6.3) is already in the kernel.

It is a permission problem, not a version problem, despite the error message.
Create a file called /etc/fuse.conf with the line
user_allow_other

Change the fstab entry to something like
/dev/hda13 /mnt/ntfs captive-ntfs defaults,noauto,user,allow_other,umask=0 0 0

Add a line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local with
chmod a+rw /dev/hda13

Obviously, change the device and mount point, as appropriate.

Then you should be able to mount the ntfs filesystem, rw, from any userid.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

-- =