Default HP printer

TJ

Feb 6, 2008, 6:02:54 PM2/6/08
After my debacle with the tax forms, I hesitate to bring this here. But,
since the potential of looking like a fool hasn't stopped me before, why
should it now?

I've had a HP PSC 2110 for years. I recently picked up a HP Deskjet
5650, and now that I've used it a bit I'd like to change it to be my
default printer. However, Printerdrake won't let me do it. Oh, it
changes the default OK, but it won't stay that way. No matter what I've
tried, the 2110 ALWAYS comes back to being the default. I even went so
far as to remove each printer and re-install it, with the same results.
(Sigh. Microsoft thinking - I know. But nothing else had worked - it was
worth a try.) There is no way to make the 5650 the default and still
have the 2110 installed.

Maybe I'm missing something, but for the life of me I can't think of
what it might be. So I ask you guys - Is there some reason why the
printerdrake/HPLIP/CUPS system insists on keeping the 2110 as the default?

TJ

Jim Beard

Feb 6, 2008, 8:19:02 PM2/6/08
TJ wrote:
> I've had a HP PSC 2110 for years. I recently picked up a HP Deskjet
> 5650, and now that I've used it a bit I'd like to change it to be my
> default printer. However, Printerdrake won't let me do it. Oh, it
> changes the default OK, but it won't stay that way. No matter what I've
> tried, the 2110 ALWAYS comes back to being the default. I even went so
> far as to remove each printer and re-install it, with the same results.
> (Sigh. Microsoft thinking - I know. But nothing else had worked - it was
> worth a try.) There is no way to make the 5650 the default and still
> have the 2110 installed.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something, but for the life of me I can't think of
> what it might be. So I ask you guys - Is there some reason why the
> printerdrake/HPLIP/CUPS system insists on keeping the 2110 as the default?

Have you taken a look at printer.conf in /etc/cups? There may be
more than one printer.conf* file, if backups to changes have been
automagically made. Changes made there might stick.

Cheers!

jim b.

--
UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
expects users to be computer-friendly.

TJ

Feb 6, 2008, 9:48:41 PM2/6/08
OK, now I'm really confused - or maybe my computer is. Both printer.conf
and printer.conf.0 (Not sure if that's a numeral or a letter) say the
5650 is the default printer. A click on the "Manage Printing" entry of
the K menu brings up a CUPS configuration page in Firefox that says the
same thing. But if I look at the printers through MCC it still says the
2110 is the default, and all the apps I've looked at call the 2110 as
the default. I can change it in MCC, but if I leave and go back it says
the 2110 is the default again. I thought maybe I had to reboot for the
setting to take effect, but it didn't work.

Now what?

mr.b

Feb 6, 2008, 11:09:27 PM2/6/08
On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 21:48:41 -0500, TJ wrote:

> Now what?

delete all references to the printers installed via cups and mcc and start
over again...things is gettin mo M$ like all the time ain't they?

Jim Beard

Feb 7, 2008, 6:26:10 PM2/7/08

The only thing I can think of is that KDE and specific applications
have their own idea of what the default printer is, and they are
sending to that by model number rather than to default.

I wonder if uninstalling all printers, rebooting, and starting over
would cure that?

David W. Hodgins

Feb 7, 2008, 7:22:30 PM2/7/08
On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 21:48:41 -0500, TJ <T...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> same thing. But if I look at the printers through MCC it still says the
> 2110 is the default, and all the apps I've looked at call the 2110 as
> the default. I can change it in MCC, but if I leave and go back it says

Looking at printerdrake and /usr/lib/libDrakX/printer/*, it appears to
be using the lpoptions command, to set/get the default printer.

What's in /etc/cups/lpoptions, and, if present, ~/.cups/lpoptions.

Read man lpoptions, for bypassing printerdrake, and setting the
options yourself.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

TJ

Feb 12, 2008, 10:30:23 PM2/12/08
I'll try this yet again. I made this post twice already. The first time
was on Feb.7, and the second Feb. 12. Both went through TeraNews, and
neither one has appeared yet. I'm now trying a different service,
Motzarella. Maybe it'll work this time.

> Nope, it didn't. Not by itself, anyway. That's what I tried first
> this afternoon after reading mr b,s reply. I even uninstalled hplip
> while I was at it. But that apparently wasn't thorough enough, as
> after I installed the 5650, then the PSC, and everything looked fine,
> when I went back the PSC was the default again.
>
> So I tried again, getting more drastic this time. I unplugged the
> printers, then uninstalled hplip and Cups both. Then I went to
> /etc/cups and eliminated both printer.conf files. Then I searched
> about for a while, looking for something else that might be hanging
> behind to screw things up. I didn't find anything, but then I didn't
> know what I was looking for, anyway. When I finished, I shut down and
> brought things back up. Then I looked at a couple of apps to
> determine just what they now considered the default printer. They all
> said "Postscript(Default)." Then for good measure, I shut down again
> before putting things back.
>
> I brought things back by re-installing both cups and hplip - before
> connecting the printers' usb cables. I then connected the 5650, which
> brought up Printerdrake and installed some more packages before
> installing the printer. The 5650 was installed as the default. Then,
> I turned to the PSC 2110. It installed without a hitch.
>
> The 5650 now stays the default printer, as I wanted it to do. But I
> don't think it was all the manipulation I described above that did
> the trick. No, the more I think about it, I think it worked because I
> installed the printers using different names this time. I doubt that
> any leftover conf file that makes "HPPSC2110" the default will act
> upon "PSC2110" in the same way.
>
> Sigh. I wish I'd thought of that before. No, it doesn't fix the
> problem, it works around it. But that's all I need, and the whole
> thing will be cleaned up when I do a clean install of 2008.1 in a few
> months.
>
> TJ

Bit Twister

Feb 12, 2008, 10:33:22 PM2/12/08
On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:30:23 -0500, TJ wrote:
> I'll try this yet again. I made this post twice already. The first time
> was on Feb.7, and the second Feb. 12. Both went through TeraNews, and
> neither one has appeared yet.

I saw your posts.

> I'm now trying a different service,
> Motzarella. Maybe it'll work this time.

I have yet to use printer drake.
I powered up my usb printer, popups show up for cups and hp module
install and away I went.

http://localhost:631 allowed to login as root and configure just about
everything I wanted.

TJ

Feb 12, 2008, 10:52:04 PM2/12/08
Bit Twister wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:30:23 -0500, TJ wrote:
>> I'll try this yet again. I made this post twice already. The first time
>> was on Feb.7, and the second Feb. 12. Both went through TeraNews, and
>> neither one has appeared yet.
>
> I saw your posts.

Well now, that's VERY interesting. The earlier versions don't show on
Teranews, Google Groups, or Motzarella for me. Until this one, I had two
posts showing in this thread - the one that started it and one early
reply. Now why should you see them and not me? BTW, the Motzarella posts
appear almost immediately.

TJ

Bit Twister

Feb 12, 2008, 10:57:09 PM2/12/08
On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:52:04 -0500, TJ wrote:
> Bit Twister wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:30:23 -0500, TJ wrote:
>>> I'll try this yet again. I made this post twice already. The first time
>>> was on Feb.7, and the second Feb. 12. Both went through TeraNews, and
>>> neither one has appeared yet.
>>
>> I saw your posts.
>>

> Well now, that's VERY interesting. The earlier versions don't show on
> Teranews, Google Groups, or Motzarella for me.
> Until this one, I had two
> posts showing in this thread - the one that started it and one early
> reply. Now why should you see them and not me?

Here is the ones I saw. Watch out for line wrap.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.os.linux.mandriva/browse_thread/thread/721dcd8b90e5fd19/c4fe79339ebcd48e?lnk=st&q=#c4fe79339ebcd48e

> BTW, the Motzarella posts appear almost immediately.

They would since we are using the same server. :-D

TJ

Feb 12, 2008, 11:21:06 PM2/12/08

OK, the two attempts I referred to still aren't there. The post I made
originally appears as quoted text at the end of the third attempt. That
original was a followup, explaining what I finally did to resolve the
matter. I only posted it because there appeared to be some interest in
the subject, and I didn't want to leave people hanging. It was to have
been my last post to this thread.

So much for the plans of Mice and Men.

TJ