wi fi problem

sAndrO

Jan 31, 2011, 6:47:22 AM1/31/11
Hallo,
I have installed Mandriva 2010 Spring, wonderful, but It is inpossible
donnect wi fi: my adapter is
USB Adapter TP-LINK Model TL-WN822N.
Can someone suggest a solution?
Thank you
sAndrO

Artful Codger

Feb 1, 2011, 3:06:20 AM2/1/11

Not really. It says on the TP-Link website
"Supports Windows 2000 / XP / Vista / 7"
I doubt if they even heard of Linux let alone provide drivers. I hope
some of the clever people in here can help.

unruh

Feb 1, 2011, 3:31:20 AM2/1/11

More information please. What errors? Is the appropriate module for you
wifi being loaded? Look at lsmod. Or look in dmesg to see if there is
some clue there.

sAndrO

Feb 1, 2011, 3:49:55 AM2/1/11
Il 01/02/2011 09:31, unruh ha scritto:
> On 2011-01-31, sAndrO<gammasanc...@alice.it> wrote:
>> Hallo,
>> I have installed Mandriva 2010 Spring
>
> More information please. What errors?

Not recognized, not possible installation.
And for me it is the first (I hope not the last) use of Mandriva.
Thank you, regards
sAndrO

sAndrO

Feb 1, 2011, 4:00:23 AM2/1/11
Il 01/02/2011 09:31, unruh ha scritto:
> On 2011-01-31, sAndrO<gammasanc...@alice.it> wrote:
>> Hallo,
>> I have installed Mandriva 2010 Spring, wonderful, but It is inpossible
>> donnect wi fi: my adapter is
>> USB Adapter TP-LINK Model TL-WN822N.

I have submitted the question and now I have received this response:
=======================

Dear Customer:

Thank you for your email requesting information about our product.

It is compatible with Linux. But we don’t have the driver for Linux. You
may find the driver from Internet, such as the chipset of manufacture’s
offical site or some reliable third-party sites like
http://wireless.kernel.org. The chipset of TL-WN822N V1 is
AR9170+AR9102, and WN822N V2 is AR7010+AR9287.

If you need any further help, please feel free to contact me.

To get technical support more quickly, please go to
http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq.aspx?type=2.

Best Regards

Teresa.Peng

Technical Support Engineer

TP-LINK TECHNOLOGIES CO., LTD.

Tel: +1 866 225-8139

+86 755-2650-4400

Feb 1, 2011, 9:41:50 AM2/1/11

Try this:

1. Go to the MCC (Mandriva Control Centre) (it's the small icon in your
taskbar lower left side. It looks like a blue computer screen with a red
wrench) -- it will ask for your root password
2. left blue side menu -- Network/Internet
3. right window -- Configure a new internet connection...
4. Choose Wi-fi -- at this point it may ask for you to insert your
Mandriva disk to install the wi-fi related software
5. Choose -- use a Window driver (with ndiswrapper) -- at this point it
will install the ndiswrapper from your disk
6. Remove your Mandriva disk and insert your Wi-fi CD install disk
7. Wait until it is recognized
8. Browse to your CD drive and find the driver file folder
9. Pick a driver version (I would choose the XP version)
10. Once inside the XP filefolder, look for an .inf file and choose this
file.
11. Click on all the following "next" buttons in your Mandriva setup
until it is finished.
12. Your wireless should now work

Cheers

Marc

sAndrO

Feb 1, 2011, 10:31:01 AM2/1/11
Il 01/02/2011 15:41, Marc Paré ha scritto:
> Le 2011-01-31 06:47, sAndrO a écrit :
>> Hallo,
>> I have installed Mandriva 2010 Spring, wonderful, but It is inpossible
>> donnect wi fi: my adapter is
>> USB Adapter TP-LINK Model TL-WN822N.
>> Can someone suggest a solution?
>> Thank you
>> sAndrO
>
> Try this:

> 12. Your wireless should now work
>
> Cheers
>
> Marc

HI,
Inave tried, before, but with no result.
I am lefting the system, whithout wi-fi I can't work.
Next, in future, when I can install my adapter I shall try Mandriva, I
think is a wonderful system.
Thank you and your friends for your kindness and sollicitude, best wishes.
sAndrO

unruh

Feb 1, 2011, 1:07:53 PM2/1/11
On 2011-02-01, sAndrO <gammasanc...@alice.it> wrote:
> Il 01/02/2011 09:31, unruh ha scritto:
>> On 2011-01-31, sAndrO<gammasanc...@alice.it> wrote:
>>> Hallo,
>>> I have installed Mandriva 2010 Spring
>>
>> More information please. What errors?
>
> Not recognized, not possible installation.
I am afraid that trying to twitter us on your problems is not the way to
go. You need to be more expansive. We are not mind readers and the
problem usually rests in the details. Since you admit you are ignorant,
why would you think that you can adequately summarize the problem for
us? Give us the details-- cut and paste-- not simply some short nemonic
for yourself.

> And for me it is the first (I hope not the last) use of Mandriva.

Somehow I do not thing your experience with Mandriva is relevant to the
problem.

> Thank you, regards
> sAndrO

sAndrO

Feb 2, 2011, 4:05:02 PM2/2/11
Il 01/02/2011 15:41, Marc Paré ha scritto:
> Le 2011-01-31 06:47, sAndrO a écrit :
>> Hallo,
>> I have installed Mandriva 2010 Spring, wonderful, but It is inpossible
>> donnect wi fi: my adapter is
>> USB Adapter TP-LINK Model TL-WN822N.
>> Can someone suggest a solution?
>> Thank you
>> sAndrO
>
> Try this:
>
> 1. Go to the MCC (Mandriva Control Centre)...etc.etc
>
> Marc

at the end I have found this:

TP-Link TL-WN821N
TP-Link TL-WN821N

Chipset: Atheros
usbid: 0cf3:1002
Info

Not working, tried with driver arusb_xp.inf from CD.
Everything went smoothly in the ndis install, but the device doesn't
show up with iwconfig.
Categories: TP-Link | USB | NOTWORKING

And my device , TP-Link TL-WN822N, is not listed.
Ahime!

Jim Beard

Feb 2, 2011, 9:13:10 PM2/2/11
On 02/02/2011 04:05 PM, sAndrO wrote:
> Il 01/02/2011 15:41, Marc Parᅵ ha scritto:
>> Le 2011-01-31 06:47, sAndrO a ï¿œcrit :

>>> Hallo,
>>> I have installed Mandriva 2010 Spring, wonderful, but It is
>>> inpossible
>>> donnect wi fi: my adapter is
>>> USB Adapter TP-LINK Model TL-WN822N.
>>> Can someone suggest a solution?
>>> Thank you
>>> sAndrO
>>
>> Try this:
>>
>> 1. Go to the MCC (Mandriva Control Centre)...etc.etc
>>
>> Marc
>>

> at the end I have found this:
>
> TP-Link TL-WN821N
> TP-Link TL-WN821N
>
> Chipset: Atheros
> usbid: 0cf3:1002
> Info
>
> Not working, tried with driver arusb_xp.inf from CD.
> Everything went smoothly in the ndis install, but the device
> doesn't show up with iwconfig.
> Categories: TP-Link | USB | NOTWORKING
>

> And my device , TP-Link TL-WN822N, is not listed.
> Ahime!

If the ndis install works, go into Mandriva Linux Control Center
and configure the thing the way Mandriva has set things up to
work. Insist on doing it "your way" and you better know every
step of the way, and how to make the Mandriva tools go that way.

If you do know every step of the way and how Mandriva walks that
route, please ignore my message; you don't need it. But if you
don't, try doing what the sysadmins and others on this forum
suggest. You are much more likely to get things working that way.

I am not the WiFi guru (don't use WiFi if I can possibly avoid
it; I do configure and trouble-shoot my wife's iBook as needed,
but that has proven to be relatively easy), but I have been on
this forum for a few years and I suspect that your equipment can
be made to work -- if you do it the Mandriva Linux way. There
are people on this forum who can provide suggestions. Some
experimentation may be required.

Cheers!

jim b.

--
UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
expects users to be computer-friendly.

Doug Laidlaw

Feb 3, 2011, 9:12:06 AM2/3/11
Artful Codger wrote:

My researches were the same. Personally, I never run a modem from USB under
Linux. I connect it via Ethernet. But I think that my present NetComm's
manual gives instructions for USB and Linux. A search for "Linux" in TP-
Link's FAQ page gave the result: "None."

I think that there is a resource page for USB support under Linux. The .inf
file the OP quoted is for Windows only. There is one link here, but it may
not be helpful. It is getting above my level:

http://www.hackorama.com/pages/usb.shtml

The next kernel may support it. When I bought my present computer, I
needed to substitute an Ethernet card until the built-in one was
supported.
Doug.

Doug Laidlaw

Feb 3, 2011, 9:27:30 AM2/3/11
unruh wrote:

Can you give him a command to try, and cut and paste the output? Something
like "lsusb" although perhaps that will only tell us what we already know.
You are the networking expert, Bill.

What about MCC's Hardware List, saying the driver is xxxxx? But it will
probably not suggest a driver? That is the trouble with drivers under
Linux.

Recalling my struggles with a USB printer, the first thing I did was to
make sure that all the udev packages were installed.

Doug.

sAndrO

Feb 3, 2011, 10:22:31 AM2/3/11

> Hello,
I am grateful for your courtesy, but its nothing to do
. Perhaps it is certainly my fault. I believe that the device is too new
and recent.
Thank you, I give up for good. It is thing por "guru"
sAndrO

sAndrO

Feb 3, 2011, 3:42:11 PM2/3/11
Il 03/02/2011 03:13, Jim Beard ha scritto:
> On 02/02/2011 04:05 PM, sAndrO wrote:
>> Il 01/02/2011 15:41, Marc Parᅵ ha scritto:
>>> Le 2011-01-31 06:47, sAndrO a ï¿œcrit :

P.S.
in a pc of one of my friends, with Ubuntu 10.10, wi-fi goes very well in
same situation, without nothing to do: automatic installation!

sAndrO

Feb 7, 2011, 12:43:16 PM2/7/11
Il 03/02/2011 15:12, Doug Laidlaw ha scritto:
> My researches were the same. Personally, I never run a modem from USB under
> Linux. I connect it via Ethernet.

Hello,
I, unfortunately, are forced to use a wi-fi adapter because the router
to keep it close to the TV/satellite/set.
Let us wait for next kernel.
thanks and regards
sAndrO

ps excuse my english........

TJ

Feb 7, 2011, 1:21:38 PM2/7/11

No excuse necessary. I'm sure most of us English-speakers would be far
worse with your native language than you are with ours.

I connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi with one of my desktop computers,
but I use a PCI card, and a different chipset manufacturer. My
experience may not be applicable to your situation, which is why I
didn't speak up before now.

If you installed the Mandriva Free edition, it does not come with
proprietary software, such as the firmware that some Wi-Fi adapters need
to run. Mine is like that. Until that firmware is installed, my Wi-Fi
adapter isn't recognized. Once the firmware is installed, the Network
and Internet section of the Mandriva Control Center will install the
appropriate software to run it from the DVD.

It could easily be the same with your device. I would suggest you learn
the manufacturer and model number of your adapter's chipset, as well as
the vendor's information. Then, go to
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users
and see what they have to say on the subject of installation. If all you
need is firmware, they can probably direct you to the proper source.

Hope this helps...

TJ

sAndrO

Feb 7, 2011, 3:44:02 PM2/7/11
Il 07/02/2011 19:21, TJ ha scritto:
> On 02/07/2011 12:43 PM, sAndrO wrote:
>> Il 03/02/2011 15:12, Doug Laidlaw ha scritto:
>>> My researches were the same. Personally, I never run a modem from USB
>>> under
>>> Linux. I connect it via Ethernet.
>>

> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users
> and see what they have to say on the subject of installation. If all you
> need is firmware, they can probably direct you to the proper source.
>
> Hope this helps...
>
> TJ

Ciao,
thanks for everything. The drivers for the TL-WN822N TP-LINK are still
not there.
The question is not so dramatically important: in the meantime I will
connect with an ethernet modem, when the TV-router is not used.
Thanks again and best regards to all: you are very kind.
sAndrO

cltien

Mar 22, 2011, 5:52:38 PM3/22/11

kvpnet