MS-Access equivalent for Linux ???

Beowulf

Jul 30, 2003, 11:38:10 PM7/30/03
Anybody know of a GUI-based user-friendly database program such as
MS-Access for linux? The existence of a gui database program such as
Access seems to be lacking for linux, a weakness it would seem. Or am i
not aware of such an open source project?

mjt

Jul 31, 2003, 12:11:46 AM7/31/03
Beowulf wrote:

MySQL with mysqlcc works fine for me.

Wes Newell

Jul 31, 2003, 12:51:58 AM7/31/03
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 22:38:10 -0500, Beowulf wrote:

> Anybody know of a GUI-based user-friendly database program such as
> MS-Access for linux?

I would hope not. Access is a slow bloated piece of crap.

> The existence of a gui database program such as
> Access seems to be lacking for linux, a weakness it would seem. Or am i
> not aware of such an open source project?

I don't use one. Might check here.

http://www.linux.org/apps/all/Office/Database.html

And typing "linux gui database" gets over 300,000 hits. My guess is there
are more than a few.

Jerry Turba

Jul 31, 2003, 9:31:11 AM7/31/03

Here is a link for *many* linux equivalents for window programs.
HTH
http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin-soft-en/

Thom Lawrence

Jul 31, 2003, 10:31:03 AM7/31/03
Wes Newell said...

> On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 22:38:10 -0500, Beowulf wrote:
>
>> Anybody know of a GUI-based user-friendly database program such as
>> MS-Access for linux?
>
> I would hope not. Access is a slow bloated piece of crap.

Not the experience of many, many people. Why not go out an kill a puppy next
time you're in this mood, instead of wasting people's time here?

Meanwhile, http://hk-classes.sourceforge.net/ has some stuff.

--thom.

Claudio

Jul 31, 2003, 10:38:45 AM7/31/03
Beowulf wrote:

there is an ms-access clone (or, to appease linux enthusiasts here: a
program with the same purpose as access - just that it will be much better
;)) in development for the the koffice suite, called kexi. however, it will
be some time before it is actually included in the stable release of this
office suite

more information on: www.koffice.org/kexi/

Thom Lawrence

Jul 31, 2003, 10:39:26 AM7/31/03
Thom Lawrence said...

More specifically http://knoda.sourceforge.net/

--thom.

Jessie

Jul 31, 2003, 11:16:25 AM7/31/03

There certainly is except it is better as you can dump your data
straight into Mysql which can then be queried right away from www if you
wish,unlike the licening issues of so many clients ect available with
the OP.

Open Office and Mysql.

This alows spread sheet interface/autoupdate etc/drag/drop and more than
you could expect from the idea of comparing OS systems and the way could
they work.

You will need the ODBC driver for Linux most likey which is available
from Mysql.

I hope you do not have too much trouble setting it up as it can be a pain.

I will post back with my finding on Mandrake 9.1 and setting it up for
the fun of it.

have fun

Fred Williams

Jul 31, 2003, 8:45:51 AM7/31/03
On July 31, 2003 11:16 am, Jessie wrote to alt.os.linux.mandrake,
saying:

> Beowulf wrote:
>> Anybody know of a GUI-based user-friendly database program such as
>> MS-Access for linux? The existence of a gui database program such
>> as Access seems to be lacking for linux, a weakness it would seem.
>> Or am i not aware of such an open source project?
>
> There certainly is except it is better as you can dump your data
> straight into Mysql which can then be queried right away from www if
> you wish,unlike the licening issues of so many clients ect available
> with the OP.
>
> Open Office and Mysql.

Now we've just completed a thread, ( I thought we'd completed it),
dealing with MySql, or any type of replacement. Note that Beowulf
asked for a "GUI-based," "user-friendly" database program. Now I
know we can find a GUI front end for MySql, but it's not user
friendly. The answer to Beowulf's question is simply "No." Such an
animal doesn't exist yet in Linux, at least after several days of
searching I can find none. I've given up looking, but it wasn't an
urgent need.
It remains a passing interest. Hey Beowulf! If you want to chat
about it, email me. Maybe together we can come up with something.
(???)

--
Regards,
Uncle Fred

mjt

Jul 31, 2003, 1:23:11 PM7/31/03
Fred Williams wrote:

> On July 31, 2003 11:16 am, Jessie wrote to alt.os.linux.mandrake,
> saying:
>
>> Beowulf wrote:
>>> Anybody know of a GUI-based user-friendly database program such as
>>> MS-Access for linux? The existence of a gui database program such
>>> as Access seems to be lacking for linux, a weakness it would seem.
>>> Or am i not aware of such an open source project?
>>
>> There certainly is except it is better as you can dump your data
>> straight into Mysql which can then be queried right away from www if
>> you wish,unlike the licening issues of so many clients ect available
>> with the OP.
>>
>> Open Office and Mysql.
>>

> Now we've just completed a thread, ( I thought we'd completed it),
> dealing with MySql, or any type of replacement. Note that Beowulf
> asked for a "GUI-based," "user-friendly" database program. Now I
> know we can find a GUI front end for MySql, but it's not user
> friendly. The answer to Beowulf's question is simply "No."

I beg to differ. Different users have different needs. There are many
different front ends that meet the needs of many people. Webmin meets my
needs and is easier to use for what *I* need than Access. Thus, for me,
webmin IS the user friendly GUI. To lump all users into one category and
say "The answer to Beowulf's question is simply "No."" Is BS. What is
easiest for the end user is what best fits the end users needs. You seem to
need an exact clone of Access, so an exact clone of access will be the only
thing that will make you happy. This is NOT the case for many people. To
say that "user friendly" means the same thing to everyone is just plain
WRONG.

> Such an
> animal doesn't exist yet in Linux, at least after several days of
> searching I can find none. I've given up looking, but it wasn't an
> urgent need.
> It remains a passing interest. Hey Beowulf! If you want to chat
> about it, email me. Maybe together we can come up with something.
> (???)

Please do try to come up with something. Most OSS projects have started the
same way.

Or perhaps you might support something like http://knoda.sourceforge.net/

Beowulf

Jul 31, 2003, 1:40:27 PM7/31/03
On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 07:45:51 -0500, Fred Williams wrote:

> Now we've just completed a thread, ( I thought we'd completed
> it),
> dealing with MySql, or any type of replacement. Note that Beowulf asked
> for a "GUI-based," "user-friendly" database program. Now I know we can
> find a GUI front end for MySql, but it's not user friendly. The answer
> to Beowulf's question is simply "No." Such an animal doesn't exist yet
> in Linux, at least after several days of searching I can find none. I've
> given up looking, but it wasn't an urgent need....

I appreciate the honesty. I do not need an Access clone per se, but
something similar, a userfriendly GUI database program. Actually I do not
need it, but I am convincing my friend to switch to linux and this would
be a need of his. Seems like a GUI database program would be a useful
thing to have for linux, just as is a word processor, spreadsheet, and
email program.

Curt

Jul 31, 2003, 3:14:50 PM7/31/03
On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 12:40:27 -0500, Beowulf wrote:

> > for a "GUI-based," "user-friendly" database program. Now I know we can
> > find a GUI front end for MySql, but it's not user friendly. The answer
> > to Beowulf's question is simply "No." Such an animal doesn't exist yet
> > in Linux, at least after several days of searching I can find none. I've
> > given up looking, but it wasn't an urgent need....

> I appreciate the honesty. I do not need an Access clone per se, but

Well, Fred cannot really be "honest" as he doesn't know what he's talking
about, by his own admission, being a newbie as he is. But he is brave
and categorical.

> something similar, a userfriendly GUI database program. Actually I do not
> need it, but I am convincing my friend to switch to linux and this would
> be a need of his. Seems like a GUI database program would be a useful
> thing to have for linux, just as is a word processor, spreadsheet, and
> email program.

I googled for five seconds and found StarOffice. Now, apparently you have to
pay 75 bucks for it, and once you do, you will be in possession of an
Access clone, among other things. I can't recommend it, have never used it,
won't ever use it, and I don't even understand the question you're asking, quite
frankly, because it's too vague or broad to mean anything to me; "gui-based,
user-friendly database" doesn't tell me what specific functionality you're
looking for, nor what you plan to do with such a database program if you had
one. I feel it's more fruitful (fruitier?) to ask, "I wish to do this,
that and the other thing. How can I do this, that and other thing is
Linux?"

Maybe I'm all wet and StarOffice is defunct, lousy or politically
incorrect, but there you go.

Steve Horsley

Jul 31, 2003, 4:44:11 PM7/31/03
On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 08:45:51 -0400, Fred Williams wrote:

> Now we've just completed a thread, ( I thought we'd completed it),
> dealing with MySql, or any type of replacement. Note that Beowulf
> asked for a "GUI-based," "user-friendly" database program. Now I
> know we can find a GUI front end for MySql, but it's not user
> friendly. The answer to Beowulf's question is simply "No." Such an
> animal doesn't exist yet in Linux, at least after several days of
> searching I can find none. I've given up looking, but it wasn't an
> urgent need.
> It remains a passing interest. Hey Beowulf! If you want to chat
> about it, email me. Maybe together we can come up with something.
> (???)

Check this out:
http://www.koffice.org/kexi/

This looks very much like Access - including the draggy-droppy query
builder. Not released yet, but clearly well on the way judging by the
screen shots. I guess that's what you're after.

Steve

Juha Kustaa Siltala

Jul 31, 2003, 5:37:38 PM7/31/03
In article <viikj1h...@corp.supernews.com>, Beowulf wrote:

> I appreciate the honesty. I do not need an Access clone per se, but
> something similar, a userfriendly GUI database program. Actually I do not
> need it, but I am convincing my friend to switch to linux and this would
> be a need of his. Seems like a GUI database program would be a useful
> thing to have for linux, just as is a word processor, spreadsheet, and
> email program.

The question is, what is the database, i.e. the _data_ that we need to
handle. For a personal home user, Gaby will do just fine. It's not
relational (but it's questionable if Access is either), but it will take
care of anybody's life. If it's a business solution, anyone is better off
with a real, relational database like postgresql or mysql anyway than with
Access, frontends are applications that can be developed for each
situation very easily.

I repeat, there is no shortage of a database on Linux, it's a question of
the _data_ you're handling. Why would you store your address book in
Access? Or, why would you trust your business to Access either?

--
Juha Siltala

Juha Kustaa Siltala

Jul 31, 2003, 5:40:08 PM7/31/03
In article <slrnbiiql9...@einstein.electron.net>, Curt wrote:

> I googled for five seconds and found StarOffice. Now, apparently you have to
> pay 75 bucks for it, and once you do, you will be in possession of an
> Access clone, among other things. I can't recommend it, have never used it,

Yes, StarOffice comes with a very much restricted license of the Adabas
database. I'd rather hook OpenOffice with mysql or postgresql via
UnixODBC.

--
Juha Siltala

someone

Jul 31, 2003, 7:54:57 PM7/31/03
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 22:38:10 -0500, Beowulf wrote:

http://www.thekompany.com/products/rekall/

not free as in beer, but IIRC, neither is Access...

Joeboy

Aug 1, 2003, 8:02:57 AM8/1/03
> I appreciate the honesty. I do not need an Access clone per se, but
> something similar, a userfriendly GUI database program. Actually I do not
> need it, but I am convincing my friend to switch to linux and this would
> be a need of his. Seems like a GUI database program would be a useful
> thing to have for linux, just as is a word processor, spreadsheet, and
> email program.

Any chance of your friend forking out for Crossover Office, which now
features support for Access?

As far as I know there isn't an obvious, take-on-all-comers low-end gui
database product for Gnu/Linux, although there are a few stabs at it. One
of them might be sufficient for your friend, if not wait for something to
appear or run Crossover / Access.

JLK

Aug 1, 2003, 11:46:55 PM8/1/03
Beowulf wrote:

Yes, OpenOffice 1.1rc1 and here is a URL that shows how.

http://articles.linmagau.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=230&page=1

As far as databases OpenOffice comes with DBF capability. Just point it to
a directory where it can store the tables you create and/or use. I prefer
PostgreSQL and OpenOffice connect to it perfectly using ODBC.
You can create tables and the forms, reports, queries, etc., necessary to
use/addd/delete the data in the tables. Easy to paint GUI's and test them.
A simple toggle button switches between run and test.
-
GrayGeek

Fred Williams

Aug 2, 2003, 7:25:48 AM8/2/03
Jessie wrote:

> I fail to understand why oppen office is not a user friend GUI to
> mysql Have you tried it?

Didn't know about it till just a few minutes ago. When I've dealt
with some other problems and the dust settles I'll look into it.
Thanks.

--
Regards
Fred

Steve Horsley

Aug 2, 2003, 7:46:23 AM8/2/03

I had no idea that capability was there. Looks really good. Thank you.

Steve

Jessie

Aug 2, 2003, 11:06:11 AM8/2/03
Fred Williams wrote:
> Jessie wrote:
>

>>I fail to understand why oppen office is not a user friend GUI to
>>mysql Have you tried it?
>

> Didn't know about it till just a few minutes ago. When I've dealt
> with some other problems and the dust settles I'll look into it.
> Thanks.

One point I think that is missing from what I suggested is that Mysql is
quite a heavy duty application to be running one machine for
basic(personal) data storage,however it is very portable which was the
main point of my jump to the subject.Data can be backed up from Mysql
very easy however possibly not quite as easy as sleepycat.com
software(Berkley DB) or similar storage of which access inherrits
similar attitbutes being flat files.
[Off Topic]Thats not to say Berkeley is not very good or as good as
Mysql as infact it is one of the best DB software available,and most
certainly for application specific stuff.
But you might like to say that Mysql is an overkill as possibly every
paid IT professional would tell you,but I disagree to a certain extent
as I don't work for the apparently only software ware company on earth(M$)

The problem with other types of personal databases is they are not
widely supported for portability which possibly dose not matter when you
are storing your personal taxes etc. in which case there are many with
GUI to store information in(no I can't name any now but Koffice is also
very worth loking at etc)

But Linux is very stable and can certainly handle Mysql running in the
background so I see no disadvantage of using it on a stand alone single
machine for personal data as long as you back up your stored data as you
would in any case.

Fred Williams

Aug 2, 2003, 12:35:13 PM8/2/03
Jessie wrote:

> The problem with other types of personal databases is they are not
> widely supported for portability which possibly dose not matter when
> you are storing your personal taxes etc. in which case there are
> many with GUI to store information in(no I can't name any now but
> Koffice is also very worth loking at etc)
>
> But Linux is very stable and can certainly handle Mysql running in
> the background so I see no disadvantage of using it on a stand alone
> single machine for personal data as long as you back up your stored
> data as you would in any case.

Thanks, Jesse,
It's not financial data, just large volumes of textual material that
has to be cross referenced and keyed for quick retrieval and there's
a large variation in record size. I'm also thinking of using the
Linux file system and some sort of a script or C program, although I
expect as the base grows, the true database would be better at
searching, (faster). I imagine they really fine tune their search
algorithms.

Yamaska

Aug 2, 2003, 6:00:29 PM8/2/03
On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 15:06:11 +0000, Jessie wrote:

<snip>

> One point I think that is missing from what I suggested is that Mysql is
> quite a heavy duty application to be running one machine for
> basic(personal) data storage,however it is very portable which was the
> main point of my jump to the subject.

Actually it's not that heavy duty, daemons (backgroundprocesses in
linux/unix) usually don't do much unless called upon. So when there's not
much happening they don't take a lot of resources.

> Data can be backed up from Mysql
> very easy however possibly not quite as easy as sleepycat.com

It's easy enough, you're able to make a dump any time you want ;-) and
sticks it in a text format file that can also be used to port to other
databases. (with maybe some minor adjustments in the sql syntax)

> software(Berkley DB) or similar storage of which access inherrits
> similar attitbutes being flat files.
> [Off Topic]Thats not to say Berkeley is not very good or as good as
> Mysql as infact it is one of the best DB software available,and most
> certainly for application specific stuff. But you might like to say that
> Mysql is an overkill as possibly every paid IT professional would tell
> you,but I disagree to a certain extent as I don't work for the
> apparently only software ware company on earth(M$)

The MySQL packages are smaller than MS Access and deliver more worth in
the sence of security, speed and such. I wouldn't really call that
overkill, just a nice added extra ;-)

Oracle,..... that's overkill. LOL
(only for a simple database ofcourse)

> The problem with other types of personal databases is they are not
> widely supported for portability which possibly dose not matter when you
> are storing your personal taxes etc. in which case there are many with
> GUI to store information in(no I can't name any now but Koffice is also
> very worth loking at etc)
>
> But Linux is very stable and can certainly handle Mysql running in the
> background so I see no disadvantage of using it on a stand alone single
> machine for personal data as long as you back up your stored data as you
> would in any case.

I agree ;-)

Pete
--

# Registered Linux User 316922 MDK9.1+ # ;-)

Yamaska

Aug 2, 2003, 6:02:48 PM8/2/03
On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 12:35:13 -0400, Fred Williams wrote:

> It's not financial data, just large volumes of textual material
> that
> has to be cross referenced and keyed for quick retrieval and there's a
> large variation in record size. I'm also thinking of using the Linux
> file system and some sort of a script or C program, although I expect as
> the base grows, the true database would be better at searching,
> (faster). I imagine they really fine tune their search algorithms.

I think MySQL is just fine for the job ;-) You can set up any indexx type
you want and it's very fast. Like to see M$ try their hand at that ;-)

Fred Williams

Aug 2, 2003, 10:30:04 PM8/2/03
Yamaska wrote:

Snork (:-)) (LOL)

I'm much happier now that I got my new mouse attached to the system.
Upgrades are coming in and they are rock solid. Not one problem
today. It really boosts my confidence in the system and I'm actually
getting some reading done, so I may get around to that MySql
documentation sometime.