Mandriva 2005LE network ETH0 not working!( Network is down on interface ETH0 )

William Comeau

May 11, 2005, 1:45:26 PM5/11/05
Hi All!

I am having a problem on my network client computer.Host and
Client both using Mandriva 2005LE.When I boot the client computer in
verbose mode I can see that ETH0 interface is (OK).I also checked
/var/log/boot.log and it says ETH0 succeded.I know that the NIC card is
ok because it works with PCLinux and Mepis.I tried manual and auto IP
configuration,still can't get it to work.Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Kindly,
William

Robert M. Riches Jr.

May 11, 2005, 2:05:38 PM5/11/05

Nobody will be able to help unless you are willing to state
_what_ is wrong. "still can't get it to work" is not
exactly a precise technical description of symptoms.

Robert Riches
spamt...@verizon.net

Klaatu

May 11, 2005, 3:54:19 PM5/11/05
William Comeau wrote:

At boot does it also say eth1 is okay? If so, then eth0 may be your IEEE
1394 system. Use eth1, run ifconfig eth1 as root, it should show your
local IP. Go to MCC, Network & Internet for more info or if you want to
disable eth0. Good Luck

William Comeau

May 11, 2005, 6:03:16 PM5/11/05

At boot it only says bringing up interface eth0 okay.There is no eth1
showing at boot.When I do ifconfig eth1 "no device".Here is what I get
with host computer.

ifconfig eth0
[root@missy william]# ifconfig eth0
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:6C:D5:23:76
inet addr:192.168.0.10 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::200:6cff:fed5:2376/64 Scope:Link
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1183726 (1.1 Mb) TX bytes:547769 (534.9 Kb)
Interrupt:5 Base address:0x2000

This is what I get with the client computer ( the one with the problem )

ifconfig eth0

[root@digger bill]# ifconfig eth0
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:80:C8:E2:EF:5D
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:19 Base address:0xd000

Hope this helps some.I used MCC to configure the network and it only
shows "eth0 via technologies/vt86c100a(Rhine 10/100)"

Thanks Kindly
William

Klaatu

May 11, 2005, 10:29:00 PM5/11/05

You are not getting an IP, 192.168.xxx.xxx, address so no connection. IP
addresses are normally handed out by a DHCP server on your gateway device
unless you manually set up your network. Check MCC services and make sure
"network" is running at boot time. You can also "ping localhost" to make
sure the client machine has networking up and running.

01234

May 12, 2005, 8:06:22 AM5/12/05
William Comeau wrote:

> This is what I get with the client computer ( the one with the problem )
>
> ifconfig eth0
>
> [root@digger bill]# ifconfig eth0
> eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:80:C8:E2:EF:5D
> BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
> RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
> Interrupt:19 Base address:0xd000

Your card doesn't have an IP address. Three possibilities that I can
think of are (there are probably others):

1. You have it configured for a fixed IP address and have not given it
one (along with a DNS and Gateway address).

2. It is supposed to get its IP address automatically via DHCP, but you
didn't configure it to get its IP address via DHCP.

3. It is supposed to get its IP address automatically via DHCP, you did
configure it to get its IP address via DHCP, but it can't find a DHCP
server for it to get its address from.

--
RJF
rjf1;a-inside-a-circle;rjftanya;period;see-oh-em

William Comeau

May 12, 2005, 2:35:42 PM5/12/05

The network is set to boot in MCC.I tried to ping 192.168.0.2 "client"
and it says "Destination Host Unreachable".It seems like the settings
are not being saved.I don't know what to do next.

Thanks Kindly
William

Klaatu

May 14, 2005, 12:45:44 AM5/14/05
William Comeau wrote:

If you don't have an IP address you cannot use ping except "ping localhost"
or "ping 127.0.0.1" on the same machine.

Linux Home Networking
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/

Simple Network Troubleshooting
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/linux-hn/network-trouble.htm

Klaatu

May 14, 2005, 1:20:45 PM5/14/05
William Comeau wrote:

Check the Mandriva Errata, may be relevant.
http://qa.mandriva.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/MandrivaLinux2005Errata

" Network unreachable because of wrong firewall settings

* A firewall is automatically installed using eth0 instead of your
interface to internet. To get back your internet access in the meantine,
you can
o either use MCC / Security / Firewall then OK and change the
network interface to ppp+
o or you can disable temporarily the firewall with this command
after boot : "service shorewall stop"
o or for advanced users edit /etc/shorewall/interfaces and replace
the line "net eth0 detect" with "net ppp+ detect" then service shorewall
restart.
* this is necessary for all users connecting with a modem (analogic or
DSL with pppoa or pppoe) or users connecting with another interface than
eth0

A fix will be available in drakxtools updates. Once you've installed the
updates, you have to reconfigure your firewall with the firewall tool from
the Mandriva Linux Control Center (drakfirewall)."