cpufreq

davide moro

May 13, 2006, 9:27:18 AM5/13/06
I followed step by step the guide above:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/power-management-guide.xml

but when I type /etc/init.d/cpufreqd start,

I'll obtain:
* cpufreqd requires the kernel to be configured with CONFIG_CPU_FREQ

My kernel config should be ok, infact:

# zcat /proc/config.gz | grep CONFIG_CPU_FREQ
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE=y

From /etc/init.d/cpufreqd:
if [[ ! -e /proc/cpufreq ]] && [[ ! -e
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq ]]; then
eerror "cpufreqd requires the kernel to be configured
with CONFIG_CPU_FREQ"

Any suggestions? On the web I was not able to find any help...

Thanks in advance : )

davide moro

davide moro

May 13, 2006, 9:31:32 AM5/13/06
davide moro wrote:
> Hi,
> I followed step by step the guide above:
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/power-management-guide.xml
>
> but when I type /etc/init.d/cpufreqd start,
>
> I'll obtain:
> * cpufreqd requires the kernel to be configured with CONFIG_CPU_FREQ
>
> My kernel config should be ok

Or not?

# cpufreq-info
cpufrequtils 001: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2006
Report errors and bugs to li...@brodo.de, please.
analyzing CPU 0:
no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU

J.O. Aho

May 13, 2006, 9:39:28 AM5/13/06

Did you boot into this kernel?
What arch and what version of kernel? (there have been some arches that may
report the wrong cpu number for the first cpu, which makes the check bad).

//Aho

davide moro

May 13, 2006, 10:19:09 AM5/13/06
J.O. Aho wrote:
> Did you boot into this kernel?
> What arch and what version of kernel? (there have been some arches that
> may report the wrong cpu number for the first cpu, which makes the check
> bad).

Yes, I booted into this kernel : )
pentium-m 2.6.16-r7

I'm recompiling the kernel, I've taked a look on:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Gentoo_on_Dell_XPS_Gen_2

and it seems I should compile as a module the cpufreq driver...

Thanks,

davide

davide moro

May 13, 2006, 10:28:20 AM5/13/06
davide moro wrote:
> I'm recompiling the kernel, I've taked a look on:
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Gentoo_on_Dell_XPS_Gen_2
>
> and it seems I should compile as a module the cpufreq driver...

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Gentoo_on_Dell_XPS_Gen_2
It works fine : )

Thanks a lot,

davide moro

Michael Mauch

May 13, 2006, 11:41:35 AM5/13/06
davide moro wrote:

> I followed step by step the guide above:
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/power-management-guide.xml

> but when I type /etc/init.d/cpufreqd start,

> I'll obtain:
> * cpufreqd requires the kernel to be configured with CONFIG_CPU_FREQ

> From /etc/init.d/cpufreqd:

> if [[ ! -e /proc/cpufreq ]] && [[ ! -e
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq ]]; then
> eerror "cpufreqd requires the kernel to be configured
> with CONFIG_CPU_FREQ"

> Any suggestions? On the web I was not able to find any help...

At least one of these files is missing (which one?). What CPU do you
have (cat /proc/cpuinfo)?

Regards...
Michael

Jerry McBride

May 13, 2006, 11:53:41 AM5/13/06

CPUFREQ was broken in some 2.6.16 kernels. Either step back to 2.6.15.6 or
ahead to 2.6.17-RCx... In the 2.6.17 rc's, you won't get all the possible
cpu frequencies as in 2.6.15.6, but it works.

davide moro wrote:

--

Jerry McBride

davide moro

May 13, 2006, 3:11:08 PM5/13/06
Jerry McBride wrote:
> CPUFREQ was broken in some 2.6.16 kernels. Either step back to 2.6.15.6 or
> ahead to 2.6.17-RCx... In the 2.6.17 rc's, you won't get all the possible
> cpu frequencies as in 2.6.15.6, but it works.

Thanks a lot,

davide

davide moro

May 13, 2006, 3:13:21 PM5/13/06
Michael Mauch wrote:
> At least one of these files is missing (which one?). What CPU do you
> have (cat /proc/cpuinfo)?

pentium-m, but I've already solved the problem.

Thank you anyway.

Regards,

davide