"emerge -e world" problem

Nikos Chantziaras

Apr 3, 2008, 5:39:29 PM4/3/08
After about 6 hours (didn't really count) since I started "emerge -e
world", I found the system had stopped with the following error:

--- CUT HERE ---
>>> Emerging (1 of 22) sys-libs/cracklib-2.8.12 to /
* cracklib-2.8.12.tar.gz RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ...
[ ok ]
* checking ebuild checksums ;-) ...
[ ok ]
* checking auxfile checksums ;-) ...
[ ok ]
* checking miscfile checksums ;-) ...
[ ok ]
* checking cracklib-2.8.12.tar.gz ;-) ...
[ ok ]
* Upgrade path is broken with FEATURES=unmerge-orphans
* Please run: FEATURES=-unmerge-orphans emerge cracklib
*
* ERROR: sys-libs/cracklib-2.8.12 failed.
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 49: Called pkg_setup
* cracklib-2.8.12.ebuild, line 26: Called die
* The specific snippet of code:
* die "Please run: FEATURES=-unmerge-orphans emerge cracklib"
* The die message:
* Please run: FEATURES=-unmerge-orphans emerge cracklib
--- CUT HERE ---

Now is it safe to do what it says; namely to run
'FEATURES=-unmerge-orphans emerge cracklib' ? Because as far as I know,
I won't be able to do 'emerge --resume' afterwards and would have to do
'emerge -e world' all over again, with the last 6 hours totally wasted.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do.

Nikos Chantziaras

Apr 3, 2008, 5:49:14 PM4/3/08
Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> After about 6 hours (didn't really count) since I started "emerge -e
> world", I found the system had stopped with the following error:
> [...]

> Now is it safe to do what it says; namely to run
> 'FEATURES=-unmerge-orphans emerge cracklib' ? Because as far as I know,
> I won't be able to do 'emerge --resume' afterwards

I used `emerge --resume --skipfirst` and made a mental note (as well as
a Usenet note ;D) to run `FEATURES=-unmerge-orphans emerge cracklib`
afterwards. I hope this conclusion I came to is the right one :P

pk

Apr 4, 2008, 3:05:08 AM4/4/08
Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> I used `emerge --resume --skipfirst` and made a mental note (as well as
> a Usenet note ;D) to run `FEATURES=-unmerge-orphans emerge cracklib`
> afterwards. I hope this conclusion I came to is the right one :P

Yes, that's usually the right thing to do when running long emerges. And, as
a side note, remember to always keep a root session open until you're sure
that users can login fine, especially if you get errors in packages like
pam, shadow, etc. If you log out and login is broken, you're locked out and
must recover using other means.

jych...@gmail.com

May 9, 2008, 7:59:02 PM5/9/08

I encountered the same error. Thanks to your postings that I am now
able to "resume".