apt error on upgrading from etch to lenny

Anton Ertl

Aug 14, 2008, 11:50:44 AM8/14/08
During the "apt-get dist-upgrade", the configuration of mount failed
as follows:

Preparing to replace mount 2.12r-19etch1 (using .../mount_2.13.1.1-1_amd64.deb) ...
You have NFS mount points currently mounted, and this version of mount
requires that nfs-common be upgraded before NFS mounts will work.

Aborting install.
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/mount_2.13.1.1-1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
/var/cache/apt/archives/mount_2.13.1.1-1_amd64.deb

So I umounted all NFS mounts and tried to continue the dist-upgrade.
But now I have a problem that is most clearly seen as follows:

# apt-get install latex-ucs -s
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
latex-ucs
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 702 not upgraded.
760 not fully installed or removed.
Conf liblocale-gettext-perl (1.05-4 Debian:testing) [latex-ucs-contrib ]
Conf libtext-iconv-perl (1.7-1+b1 Debian:testing) [latex-ucs-contrib ]
Conf libtext-charwidth-perl (0.04-5+b1 Debian:testing) [latex-ucs-contrib ]
Conf libtext-wrapi18n-perl (0.06-6 Debian:testing) [latex-ucs-contrib ]
E: Internal Error, Could not perform immediate configuration (1) on debconf

The problem (based on stuff I googled) seems to be that debconf want
to be configured immediately, but also depends on these libraries. I
tried to work around that by 'dpkg-reconfigure'ing these libraries
and/or debconf, but dpkg-reconfigure said that the packages are broken
or not fully installed.

So how do I get this cycle resolved?

- anton
an...@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at Most things have to be believed to be seen

Anton Ertl

Aug 14, 2008, 5:09:28 PM8/14/08
an...@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl) writes:
>E: Internal Error, Could not perform immediate configuration (1) on debconf
>
>The problem (based on stuff I googled) seems to be that debconf want
>to be configured immediately, but also depends on these libraries. I
>tried to work around that by 'dpkg-reconfigure'ing these libraries
>and/or debconf, but dpkg-reconfigure said that the packages are broken
>or not fully installed.
>
>So how do I get this cycle resolved?

Since this was an apt error, I decided to try installing debconf with
dpkg, and it worked. The commands I eventually used were:

wget http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/debian/pool/main/d/debconf/debconf-english_1.5.22_all.deb
dpkg -r debconf-i18n
dpkg --force-depends -i debconf-english_1.5.22_all.deb
dpkg -i debconf_1.5.22_all.deb

After that, I could use apt-get again, and continued with the
dist-upgrade.

Darren Salt

Aug 14, 2008, 6:34:47 PM8/14/08
I demand that Anton Ertl may or may not have written...

[snip]

> Since this was an apt error, I decided to try installing debconf with dpkg,
> and it worked. The commands I eventually used were:
>
> wget http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/debian/pool/main/d/debconf/debconf-english_1.5.22_all.deb
> dpkg -r debconf-i18n
> dpkg --force-depends -i debconf-english_1.5.22_all.deb
> dpkg -i debconf_1.5.22_all.deb

Or
aptitude download debconf-english_1.5.22_all.deb

dpkg -r debconf-i18n
dpkg --force-depends -i debconf-english_1.5.22_all.deb
dpkg -i debconf_1.5.22_all.deb

or
dpkg -r debconf-i18n
dpkg --force-depends -i /var/cache/apt/archives/debconf-english_1.5.22_all.deb
dpkg -i debconf_1.5.22_all.deb

[snip]
| + Output less CO2 => avoid boiling weather. TIME IS RUNNING OUT *FAST*.

Anton Ertl

Aug 15, 2008, 12:37:09 PM8/15/08
Darren Salt <ne...@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid> writes:
>I demand that Anton Ertl may or may not have written...
>
>[snip]
>> Since this was an apt error, I decided to try installing debconf with dpkg,
>> and it worked. The commands I eventually used were:
>>
>> wget http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/debian/pool/main/d/debconf/debconf-english_1.5.22_all.deb
>> dpkg -r debconf-i18n
>> dpkg --force-depends -i debconf-english_1.5.22_all.deb
>> dpkg -i debconf_1.5.22_all.deb
>
>Or
> aptitude download debconf-english_1.5.22_all.deb

Aptitude would not trip over this apt problem?

> dpkg -r debconf-i18n
> dpkg --force-depends -i debconf-english_1.5.22_all.deb
> dpkg -i debconf_1.5.22_all.deb
>
>or
> dpkg -r debconf-i18n
> dpkg --force-depends -i /var/cache/apt/archives/debconf-english_1.5.22_all.deb
> dpkg -i debconf_1.5.22_all.deb

Oh, I forgot to mention that the wd was /var/cache/apt/archives/ in
these operations. And I wgot debconf-english_1.5.22_all.deb because
it was not already there. The system had wanted to use debconf-i18n
instead, but I switched to debconf-english because it has fewer
dependences.

Darren Salt

Aug 15, 2008, 1:15:07 PM8/15/08
I demand that Anton Ertl may or may not have written...

> Darren Salt <ne...@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid> writes:
>> I demand that Anton Ertl may or may not have written...
>> [snip]
>>> Since this was an apt error, I decided to try installing debconf with
>>> dpkg, and it worked. The commands I eventually used were:
>>> wget http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/debian/pool/main/d/debconf/debconf-english_1.5.22_all.deb
>>> dpkg -r debconf-i18n
>>> dpkg --force-depends -i debconf-english_1.5.22_all.deb
>>> dpkg -i debconf_1.5.22_all.deb
>> Or
>> aptitude download debconf-english_1.5.22_all.deb

Actually, that's wrong. It should be:
aptitude download debconf-english
(assuming that lenny is the preferred source).

> Aptitude would not trip over this apt problem?

I see no apt problem in this thread. I do, however, see an error reported by
dpkg; so yes, aptitude would hit the same problem since it too will use dpkg
for package installation. But the command given would download the .deb,
put it in the current directory, and not install it.

[snip]

| <URL:http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/progs.packages.html>

If you're angry at a newspaper columnist, he'll become rich, famous or both.

Anton Ertl

Aug 15, 2008, 3:00:16 PM8/15/08
Darren Salt <ne...@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid> writes:
>I demand that Anton Ertl may or may not have written...
>> Aptitude would not trip over this apt problem?
>
>I see no apt problem in this thread. I do, however, see an error reported by
>dpkg;

Ok.

> so yes, aptitude would hit the same problem since it too will use dpkg
>for package installation. But the command given would download the .deb,
>put it in the current directory, and not install it.

Good. I tried the apt-get variant

apt-get install -d debconf-english

and IIRC it hit the same problem; it just wanted debconf to work
before doing anything.

Jimmy Johnson

Aug 15, 2008, 7:00:11 PM8/15/08
Anton Ertl wrote:
> Darren Salt <ne...@youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid> writes:
>> I demand that Anton Ertl may or may not have written...
>>> Aptitude would not trip over this apt problem?
>> I see no apt problem in this thread. I do, however, see an error reported by
>> dpkg;
>
> Ok.
>
>> so yes, aptitude would hit the same problem since it too will use dpkg
>> for package installation. But the command given would download the .deb,
>> put it in the current directory, and not install it.
>
> Good. I tried the apt-get variant
>
> apt-get install -d debconf-english
>
> and IIRC it hit the same problem; it just wanted debconf to work
> before doing anything.
>
> - anton

Been reading this thread and reading upgrade problems on the internet
that others are having, so I decided to take another route, and booted
to another OS on my computer or I could have used a Live CD and deleted
everything but /home on the Etch system, then ran the Debian Lenny
install, no problem, ran apt-get update and then apt-get install
my-packages, done. :)
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian GNU/Linux Testing - Registered Linux User #380263 - "Software is
like sex, it's better when it's free": Linus Torvalds