Tabos 0.2.6 released

Jan-Michael Brummer

Dec 24, 2004, 11:58:11 AM12/24/04
Hi everyone,

the tabos team is proud to give you all a christmas present :)) Our
new stable version has been released which gets rid of our previous
slow problems. this one has got alot of new feature you can read on
our page in detail. please test it and send us bug reports or just a
good-work-report :))

We wish you a merry christmas.

Jan-Michael Brummer & Ingo Pansa

http://www.tabos.org

Spike

Dec 26, 2004, 4:25:38 AM12/26/04
your page doesn't seem to work in IE 6.0...

//SPike

"Jan-Michael Brummer" <bu...@gmx.de> skrev i meddelandet

Alexei A. Frounze

Dec 26, 2004, 4:53:58 AM12/26/04
I second that.
Alex

"Spike" <me.hates:sp...@me.net> wrote in message

Jan-Michael Brummer

Dec 26, 2004, 4:39:39 PM12/26/04
this is a known problem. but the web page is w3c validated and so we
do not want to change it, just to support the buggy ie. just take a
better browser, like konqueror/mozilla/firefox/opera/etc.

Alexei A. Frounze

Dec 26, 2004, 6:10:06 PM12/26/04
So you don't want ppl to see it. Then why post links?

"Jan-Michael Brummer" <bu...@gmx.de> wrote in message
> [...]

Francesco Frigo

Dec 27, 2004, 8:22:37 AM12/27/04
> So you don't want ppl to see it. Then why post links?

I don't mean to start a flame, but I agree to Jan's point of view... the
link is for people to see the web page.
It's not their fault if Mr Bill does not stick to standards.

Sincerely,
Francesco Frigo

--
To contact me remove the "NOSPAM" part from my e-mail address.

Maxim S. Shatskih

Dec 27, 2004, 9:21:48 AM12/27/04
> It's not their fault if Mr Bill does not stick to standards.

The things are a bit other :)

Mr Bill _establishes_ the standards, and not some group of people naming
themselves W3C :):)

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

Stephane Hockenhull

Dec 27, 2004, 10:07:46 AM12/27/04
Alexei A. Frounze wrote:
> I second that.
> Alex

on my system I get yellow text on whitish background.

background color was changed in html but text color was left to default,
and its a classic yellow on blue by default.

Francesco Frigo

Dec 27, 2004, 1:21:30 PM12/27/04
> Mr Bill _establishes_ the standards, and not some group of people naming
> themselves W3C :):)

Well yes, I must admit that Windows(R) (which implies IE) is more
wide-spread than other systems.

But at least the W3C effort is to publish good quality standards which, if
adopted by everybody, would simplify a lot the hassle of
browser-compatibility issues. The thing is that Mr Bill does not publish
his (de-facto-wannabe) standards. He just implements them.

Let's say he is just a bit arrogant, because he could as well adopt W3C
standards (thus leading to a better world).

Maxim S. Shatskih

Dec 27, 2004, 1:32:17 PM12/27/04
> But at least the W3C effort is to publish good quality standards which, if
> adopted by everybody, would simplify a lot the hassle of
> browser-compatibility issues.

Take the above phrase. Then do "sed s/W3C/Microsoft/g" in it :) will be truth
again.

> Let's say he is just a bit arrogant, because he could as well adopt W3C
> standards (thus leading to a better world).

IE is very permitting in terms of HTML. Most webmasters have no problems
supporting it :)

Making a site incompatible with IE can be only done intentionally (not by
accident), with a good amount of time spent into digging in IE's features, with
a good sign of defiant demonstrativity and is, in fact, childish.

Alexei A. Frounze

Dec 27, 2004, 3:54:04 PM12/27/04
"Maxim S. Shatskih" <ma...@storagecraft.com> wrote in message

> > It's not their fault if Mr Bill does not stick to standards.
>
> The things are a bit other :)
>
> Mr Bill _establishes_ the standards, and not some group of people naming
> themselves W3C :):)

Doesn't matter who. What matters is accessibility. If on most (or very many)
PCs the page isn't readable (because most or very many have IE installed),
then, it's the problem of the page author as he limited the access to it.
IMO, if it looks cool in non-IE browser has too little of impact when
compared to the blank page.

Btw, about the standards...

Yesterday I had major problems with chdir(). As you may already know, I'm
making FAT driver that's gonna be soon released on the internet...
The problem I encountered is that my chdir() and Borland C's chdir() work
differently. Namely, my changes the default drive if the path contains a
drive letter with a colon, whereas Borland's doesn't. This surprised me
quite a lot because I was sure it had worked for me in the past. I checked
with windows' and DOS' CD/CHDIR and both repeated the same behavior. The
docs confirmed this was right...
However, I soon discovered where the surprise originated... I used to
program a lot in Borland Pascal and its ChDir() *DID* change the current
drive if the path contained a drive letter and a colon.
Furtheremore, the single UNIX spec (v3 to be precise) says so on chdir():

----------8<----------
SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h>

int chdir(const char *path);

DESCRIPTION
The chdir() function shall cause the directory named by the pathname
pointed to by the path argument to become the current working directory;
that is, the starting point for path searches for pathnames not beginning
with '/' .

----------8<----------
and obviously, there's not a slightest allusion to the possibility of the
semantically differenet behavior of chdir() in the m$ world (read DOS and
windows).

To me what m$ did with chdir()/CHDIR is quite odd, if not disgusting.
Borland C probably just followed this stupid thing for compatibility reasons
(I can't think of a different reason).

Standards... Seen 'em ... misused. (Yet I'm not saying anything about
3COM/USR modems which made CRC32 option in V.42 unusable (I'm not trying to
signify the importance of this feature (CRC16 works just fine with V.42) but
just pointing to the other fact) because they had a buggy implementation of
it, but because of these modems being so widely spread, no one could fix the
bug/problem in any way but simply disabling the feature in all other modems
for interoperability reasons, and I believe there are many more similar
situations with the other software and hardware).

Alex

Maxim S. Shatskih

Dec 27, 2004, 5:06:26 PM12/27/04
> with windows' and DOS' CD/CHDIR and both repeated the same behavior. The

DOS CHDIR was always IMHO idiotic, I considered it such even when I first saw
it in around 1991.

> Furtheremore, the single UNIX spec (v3 to be precise) says so on chdir():

Correct, and the logical extension of it to drive-letter-enabled paths is - to
go to the specified drive and the directory on it.

Alexei A. Frounze

Dec 27, 2004, 5:33:04 PM12/27/04

> > with windows' and DOS' CD/CHDIR and both repeated the same behavior. The
>
> DOS CHDIR was always IMHO idiotic, I considered it such even when I first
saw
> it in around 1991.
>
> > Furtheremore, the single UNIX spec (v3 to be precise) says so on
chdir():

> Correct, and the logical extension of it to drive-letter-enabled paths
is - to
> go to the specified drive and the directory on it.

I'm glad that sometimes we manage to arrive at the same conclusion :)

Alex

Maxim S. Shatskih

Dec 27, 2004, 8:18:29 PM12/27/04
> I'm glad that sometimes we manage to arrive at the same conclusion :)

This occurs on most technical issues, but not on phylosophycal ones :)

Tim Robinson

Jan 4, 2005, 3:25:10 PM1/4/05

Could you please make the original page available for testing through
IE? I can sympathise with your frustration, but it's a bit rude to make
the page unavailable for the majority of your site's visitors. Tabos is
a fine operating system and everyone deserves to see it.

IE 6 *is* standards-compliant, but only if you tell it that your page is
standards-compliant. Your DOCTYPE declaration needs to look like this:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Strict//EN">

This switches your page to strict mode; by default, it is in quirks
mode. IE doesn't give any visual indication of the page mode (except
when things go wrong), although Firefox shows you the mode in the "View
Page Info" dialog. See
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnie60/html/cssenhancements.asp
for more on IE's standards-compliant (strict) mode. I suspect that if
you add the Strict DOCTYPE as shown above, the page will display the
same in both browsers. If you put the original page back up, I can take
a look.

--
Tim Robinson (MVP, Windows SDK)
http://mobius.sourceforge.net/