Green Card Lottery- Final One?

Laurence Canter

Apr 12, 1994, 3:40:23 AM4/12/94
Green Card Lottery 1994 May Be The Last One!
THE DEADLINE HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED.

The Green Card Lottery is a completely legal program giving away a
certain annual allotment of Green Cards to persons born in certain
countries. The lottery program was scheduled to continue on a
permanent basis. However, recently, Senator Alan J Simpson
introduced a bill into the U. S. Congress which could end any future
lotteries. THE 1994 LOTTERY IS SCHEDULED TO TAKE PLACE
SOON, BUT IT MAY BE THE VERY LAST ONE.

PERSONS BORN IN MOST COUNTRIES QUALIFY, MANY FOR
FIRST TIME.

The only countries NOT qualifying are: Mexico; India; P.R. China;
Taiwan, Philippines, North Korea, Canada, United Kingdom (except
Northern Ireland), Jamaica, Domican Republic, El Salvador and
Vietnam.

Lottery registration will take place soon. 55,000 Green Cards will be
given to those who register correctly. NO JOB IS REQUIRED.

THERE IS A STRICT JUNE DEADLINE. THE TIME TO START IS
NOW!!

For FREE information via Email, send request to
cs...@indirect.com

Canter & Siegel, Immigration Attorneys
3333 E Camelback Road, Ste 250, Phoenix AZ 85018 USA
cs...@indirect.com telephone (602)661-3911 Fax (602) 451-7617

Laurence Canter

Apr 12, 1994, 4:38:14 AM4/12/94

Alex J Bernardin

Apr 12, 1994, 9:39:19 AM4/12/94

---------annoying post deleted-----------

|> For FREE information via Email, send request to
|> cs...@indirect.com

-- WHY DO WE CARE !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

-- WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH AOL ?!?!?

|> *****************************************************************
|> Canter & Siegel, Immigration Attorneys
|> 3333 E Camelback Road, Ste 250, Phoenix AZ 85018 USA
|> cs...@indirect.com telephone (602)661-3911 Fax (602) 451-7617

-- JEEZ, AND ALL THIS AFTER I JUST POSTED ABOUT HOW NOT EVERYONE IS A SCHMUCK

How 'bout if we flood this guy's mailbox with "requests" for info? I mean,
since he was nice enough to give his address...

-AlexJB

- I'm sorry, I'm usually much more tolerant. But I really think that this is
rediculous.

Eric Fong

Apr 12, 1994, 1:54:14 PM4/12/94
In article <2odmlm$5...@herald.indirect.com>,

Laurence Canter <ni...@indirect.com> wrote:
>Green Card Lottery 1994 May Be The Last One!
>THE DEADLINE HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED.
>
>The Green Card Lottery is a completely legal program giving away a

(blah blah blah, ugga bugga)

I've seen this post on other newsgroups.

Ignore it, flame it, or, oh I dunno, enter the lottery.

--
Eric Fong * "This is so corny & she cries too much!"
er...@violet.berkeley.edu * -- Nancy Kerrigan

John Groseclose

Apr 12, 1994, 7:19:56 PM4/12/94
Alex J Bernardin (con...@bingsunm.cc.binghamton.edu) wrote:

: -AlexJB

It *is* ridiculous. That's *MY* site that's lagging hard because of all
of the people who decided to flood his mailbox. I've lost about 12-14
hours worth of messages because the mailserver keeps crashing.

If you really want to let him know how you feel about it, call him. At
least you won't be causing even more problems. . .
--
John D. Groseclose <car...@indirect.com>
Formerly john...@aol.com, but then I grew tired of the lies. . .

Brian T Brunner

Apr 12, 1994, 7:50:40 PM4/12/94
In article <2oe8a7$2...@bingsunm.cc.binghamton.edu>,
con...@bingsunm.cc.binghamton.edu (Alex J Bernardin) writes:
!! From: con...@bingsunm.cc.binghamton.edu (Alex J Bernardin)
!! Newsgroups: alt.bonehead.paul-hendry,alt.online-service.america-online
!! Subject: Re: Green Card Lottery- Final One?
!! Date: 12 Apr 1994 09:39:19 -0400
!! Sender: consp11@bingsunm (Alex J Bernardin)
!!
!!
!! Canter) writes:
!! |> Green Card Lottery 1994 May Be The Last One!
!! |> THE DEADLINE HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED.
!! |>
!! ---------annoying post deleted-----------
!! |>
!! |> *****************************************************************
!! |> Canter & Siegel, Immigration Attorneys
!! |> 3333 E Camelback Road, Ste 250, Phoenix AZ 85018 USA
!! |> cs...@indirect.com telephone (602)661-3911 Fax (602) 451-7617
!!
!!
!! -- JEEZ, AND ALL THIS AFTER I JUST POSTED ABOUT HOW NOT EVERYONE IS A
!! SCHMUCK
!!
!! How 'bout if we flood this guy's mailbox with "requests" for info? I
!! mean,
!! since he was nice enough to give his address...
!!
!! -AlexJB
!!
!! - I'm sorry, I'm usually much more tolerant. But I really think that this
!! is
!! rediculous.

Agreed. As a long-time usenetter, we are frequently annoyed by posts from
people soliciting services (a no-no on the USENET) and by chain letters
("MAKE MONEY FAST"). The most effective response is to simply REPLY
(not followup) which mails a messge back to the sender of the article...
The address you send to can be edited to include RO...@name.of.senders.system
as this stuff usually comes from a university where somebody did bad and needs
to spend a semester without an account, or where somebody did careless and
left their account logged in, and it got misused.

Probably the worst response is to join a chain of
RE: (some idiot posting) like this is... I am breaking my own rule here to
poss info to a new bunch of usenetters... y'all! Howdyhowdyhowdy!
Welcome to USENET. We now return to our usual programming <click-beep>

--
.sig under construction, please hold.

Diane Barlow Close

Apr 13, 1994, 8:05:07 PM4/13/94
> [about those Green Card postings and the dweebs who posted it to every
> darned newsgroup]

FYI, the postmaster of their site has cut off their access. The law firm
has threatened to sue that site for $250,000 in "damages" for having their
access cut off. All this is detailed in the posting "About Those Green
Card Postings" (or something like that) in news.groups. So don't go
sending the site any more e-mail -- the problem has been taken care of!

This is the third (possibly 4th) time that Lawrence Canter has found a way
to do this. Last year it was through netcom, a year or so ago through
digex (?), and they had their own site/feed a couple years before that.
This year indirect was hit. So, if you want to stop this, perhaps
permanently, then I can recommend the following suggestion that was
reposted to news.groups. It looks like a good idea for those who want to
"get even".

From: ke...@fenris.com (Ken Corbin)
Newsgroups: news.groups,news.admin.policy
Subject: Lawyer attack! Standard reply letter - please use!!!
Date: 12 Apr 1994 22:20:25 -0700

The following was posted on comp.lang.c++ by wal...@mathworks.com
(Walter Gillett) in response the the infamouse green card letter. It
was such a good idea that I am taking the liberty of duplicating it
here.

If you found the recent posting (see below) on the topic of "Green
Card Lottery" offensive (my guess is that it was posted to just
about every newsgroup on the planet), then help to keep the
Internet junk-free - send a letter to the Board of Professional
Responsibility (Tennessee Bar) complaining about the conduct of
this law firm. (The firm is located in Arizona, but they are
affiliated with the Tennessee Bar.) I've enclosed a sample letter
for convenience that you can print out (I don't claim it to be a
work of art, but it should do the job). You can also call the
Board at (615) 361-7500, but I think that sending a letter will be
more effective.

--
Walter E. Gillett wal...@mathworks.com
MathWorks, Inc. (508) 653-1415

Board of Professional Responsibility
1101 Kermit Drive
Nashville, TN 37217

To whom it may concern:

This letter is a complaint against the firm of Canter & Siegel,
Immigration Attorneys. (Mr. Canter's name is Laurence Canter.) They
recently sent unsolicited electronic junk mail to over 100,000
users of the Internet (also known as the "information
superhighway") advertising their services as immigration attorneys.
The text of their junk mail is shown below. While technically not
illegal, this is a violation of the usage guidelines for the
network that is offensive, unethical and should be censured. It's
the equivalent of dropping 100,000 leaflets from the cargo bay of a
747. I hope that you will take prompt action in this matter.

Sincerely,

<your name>

Following is the text of Canter & Siegel's message:

[...]

********************
As well, the following was suggested:

(from news.groups)
From: sp...@cs.cmu.edu (John Ockerbloom)
Subject: Re: Green Card Posting
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 1994 14:52:58 GMT

In article <Co6I2...@reptiles.org>, Jim Mercer <j...@reptiles.org> wrote:
>In article <2ofno9$8...@herald.indirect.com>,
>Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse <j...@indirect.com> wrote:
>>Now, the law firm of Canter & Siegel has threatened to sue us for $250,000.00
>
>i hope that you don't bend to this scare tactic.
>
>i think that your state bar association will be hearing about these bozo's
>in short order.

And for those of you that want to contact the Arizona Bar Association
to complain about unethical behavior, their number is 602-252-4804.
Call and ask for a complaint brochure and form. (In order for
formal action to be taken, you have to submit a complaint in writing.
They'll mail you the forms and info for free. I also suspect that
a large number of phone calls will tell them something as well.)

John Ockerbloom
ocker...@cs.cmu.edu 4209 Murray Ave., Pittsburgh PA 15217
--
Diane Close