Louis Abolafia (Oct. 30, 1995)

Carol

Nov 3, 2009, 2:53:58 AM11/3/09
Boston Globe, Third Ed., November 3, 1995, p. 65

LOUIS ABOLAFIA, 54 WAS ON HIPPIE 'LOVE TICKET'

LOS ANGELES -- Louis Abolafia, an artist who ran for president against
Richard Nixon in 1968 as the naked Hippie ''love candidate,'' died
Monday of a drug overdose, authorities said. He was 54. The son of a
New York City florist, Mr. Abolafia was part of the Greenwich Village
art scene in the '60s and organized ''love-ins'' and ''happenings''
that combined music, poetry and audience participation.

He became a sort of hippie poster-boy for the New York press and ran
for president on the Hippie "love ticket." In a famous photo, he posed
naked with a strategically placed hat. His campaign slogan: "What have
I got to hide?"
"We were showing loving ways of bringing about unity and peace," he
said in 1987.

He moved to San Francisco in 1974 and helped produce the annual Exotic
Erotic Ball, an outrageous annual costume event. He moved to Los
Angeles several years ago.

----------

Washington Post, November 7, 1995, Final Ed., p. B5

LOUIS ABOLAFIA -- Artist and Presidential Candidate

Louis Abolafia, 54, an artist who ran for president against Richard
Nixon in 1968 as the naked Hippie "love candidate," died of a drug
overdose in Los Angeles on Oct. 30.

Part of the Greenwich Village art scene in the 1960s, he organized
"love-ins" and "happenings" that combined music, poetry and audience
participation. He ran for president on the Hippie "love ticket" and
claimed he received about 2 million votes. In a famous photo, he posed
naked with a strategically placed hat. His campaign slogan: "What have
I got to hide?"

Mr. Abolafia moved to San Francisco in 1974 and helped produce the
annual Exotic Erotic Ball, an outrageous annual costume event. He
moved to Los Angeles several years ago.

----------

Other mentions:

Houston Chronicle (TX) - November 4, 1995
Sun, The (Baltimore, MD) - November 4, 1995
Tulsa World (OK) - November 4, 1995
San Jose Mercury News (CA) - November 3, 1995
Miami Herald, The (FL) - November 3,Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (PA) -
November 3, 1995
St. Petersburg Times (FL) - November 3, 1995

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Brad Ferguson

Nov 4, 2009, 8:47:26 AM11/4/09
In article <ck12f5d5ee8mt15mh...@4ax.com>, John M.
<jcm113...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 05:13:16 -0600, "A" <aa...@att.net> wrote:
>
> >x-no-archive: yes
> >
> >"Carol" <cobi...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> >> Boston Globe, Third Ed., November 3, 1995, p. 65
> >>
> >> LOUIS ABOLAFIA, 54 WAS ON HIPPIE 'LOVE TICKET'
> >>
> >> LOS ANGELES -- Louis Abolafia, an artist who ran for president against
> >> Richard Nixon in 1968 as the naked Hippie ''love candidate,'' died
> >> Monday of a drug overdose, authorities said. He was 54.
> >

> > He had to be older than 54 if he ran in '68.
> > He would have been only 13 then,
>
> Artistic license.
>
> --
>
> John M.

This was an archive obit not obviously marked as such. Abolafia died
back in 1995. He was 27 when he "ran" for president in 1968. His
candidacy was street theater, but it made him fairly well known for a
brief while because his supporters put little campaign stickers all
over the city's buses and subways. Some of them were still up well
into the 1980s.

Lawrence Goldman

Nov 10, 2021, 8:03:24 PM11/10/21
My cousin's (Lou's), drug of choice was crystal meth. When he showed me the gram block he bought I told him that he would be dead within a year if he started that shit and left. He liked to stay up for three days straight and then pop a Valium and sleep for two days straight. That's not good for your heart. He had a mild heart attack a month before he died. The doctor told him to stop the shit and he didn't. Knew the man for many years and never seen him use a needle.

Bryan Cohen

May 13, 2022, 10:18:44 AM5/13/22
Are there any photos of Louis from the '80s/'90s out there? Unfortunately all I've been able to find are photos from the '60s. He was a true legend. Also would be interesting to see some photos of him with Dylan or Ginsberg.

Topic Cop

May 14, 2022, 3:17:57 AM5/14/22
Sounds like he knew how to party