Star Trek Deaths in 2008

Chuck

Jan 1, 2009, 7:54:34 PM1/1/09
This year, the STAR TREK franchise will be reborn when J.J. Abrams’
highly-anticipated STAR TREK opens in theaters on May 8th. This new
entry in the STAR TREK saga looks to create a new generation of fans,
but there would be no new movie if not for STAR TREK’s longevity and
creativity. As I did last January, I would like to recognize those who
contributed to this enduring, prolific, and inspirational franchise
that have passed away over the last year.

The following list is in alphabetical order by last name.

JOHN ALVIN (59); died 6 February
Movie poster artist who designed and illustrated the posters for STAR
TREK VI: THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY. He also designed posters for such
films as BLAZING SADDLES, YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, BLADE RUNNER, E.T. THE
EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL, THE PRINCESS BRIDE, THE LITTLE MERMAID, BEAUTY AND
THE BEAST, ALADDIN, and THE LION KING.

MAJEL BARRETT-RODDENBERRY (76); died 18 December
Actress and widow of STAR TREK creator Gene Roddenberry which has
earned her the title "the first lady of STAR TREK." She played Number
One in the first STAR TREK pilot ("The Cage"), Nurse Christine Chapel
on the original series, the animated series, and two of the STAR TREK
films, Ambassador Lwaxana Troi on STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION and
STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE, and voiced the Starfleet computer in all
of the series and in four of the films, including this year's STAR
TREK. She also co-wrote the DEEP SPACE NINE episode "The Muse." Other
acting credits include the films WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER?, THE
DOMINO PRINCIPLE, and Michael Crichton's WESTWORLD; she also developed
and executive produced the sci-fi series EARTH: FINAL CONFLICT and
ANDROMEDA, based on ideas by Gene Roddenberry.

LILYAN CHAUVIN (82); died 26 June
Actress and theater director; played Vedek Yassim in the STAR TREK:
DEEP SPACE NINE episode "Rocks and Shoals." Best known for her
performance as Mother Superior in the 1984 horror film SILENT NIGHT,
DEADLY NIGHT; other film credits include NORTH TO ALASKA, FUNNY LADY,
PREDATOR 2, UNIVERSAL SOLDIER, and CATCH ME IF YOU CAN. Additional
television credits include an Emmy-nominated guest appearance on BAA
BAA BLACK SHEEP, a recurring role on FALCON CREST, and a Daytime Emmy-
nominated role on THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS.

ALEXANDER COURAGE (88); died 15 May
Composer, arranger, conductor, and orchestrator; best known for
writing the main title theme music for the original STAR TREK, in
addition to scoring several episodes. He also composed additional
music for STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE and was composer Jerry
Goldsmith's orchestrator on STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT and STAR TREK:
INSURRECTION. He received Academy Award nominations for his work on
the musical films THE PLEASURE SEEKERS and DOCTOR DOLITTLE and won an
Emmy for arranging the music for the 1987 special JULIE ANDREWS: THE
SOUND OF CHRISTMAS. He worked on the music scores for countless other
films, including SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, MY FAIR LADY, FIDDLER ON THE
ROOF, JURASSIC PARK, and L.A. CONFIDENTIAL.

OLIVER CRAWFORD (91); died 24 September
Writer for three episodes of the original STAR TREK series: "The
Galileo Seven," "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield," and "The Cloud
Minders." Blacklisted during the 1950s but rebounded and wrote for
such TV shows as RAWHIDE, BONANZA, BEN CASEY, THE FUGITIVE, THE WILD
WILD WEST, and MANNIX. Nominated for Emmy Awards for writing on
CLIMAX! and THE LINEUP and nominated by the Writers Guild of America
for THE OUTER LIMITS episode "The Special One."

BILL DIAL (64); died 2 June
Writer and producer; co-wrote the story and wrote the teleplay for the
STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE episode "The Alternate," wrote the DS9
episode "Tribunal," and wrote the initial teleplay for the STAR TREK:
VOYAGER episode "Eye of the Needle." Best known for his work as writer
and producer on WKRP IN CINCINNATI, most notably for writing the
classic episode "Turkeys Away." His other credits include writing and
producing SIMON & SIMON and co-creating the UPN series LEGEND.

ROBERT DOQUI (73); died 9 February
Actor; portrayed the Klingon, Noggra, in the STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE
NINE episode "Sons of Mogh." He is best known for playing Police
Sergeant Warren Reed in the ROBOCOP films. His other film credits
include Robert Altman's NASHVILLE, BUFFALO BILL AND THE INDIANS, OR
SITTING BULL'S HISTORY LESSON, and SHORT CUTS, as well as the role of
King George in the 1973 blaxploitation classic COFFY.

RAY ELLIS (85); died 27 October
Composer and arranger; composed the animated STAR TREK series and many
other Filmation programs under the pseudonym "Yvette Blais." He
arranged and orchestrated many hit records during the 1950s and 1960s,
including "Splish Splash" by Bobby Darin, "Chances Are" by Johnny
Mathis, "Standing on the Corner" by the Four Lads, "Under the
Boardwalk" by The Drifters, "Spanish Harlem" by Ben E. King, and
"Where the Boys Are" by Connie Francis; he is perhaps best known for
orchestrating Billie Holiday's final album, LADY IN SATIN.

STEVE GERBER (60); died 10 February
Comic book artist, editor, and writer and TV script writer; co-write
the STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION episode "Contagion." He is known
for creating the Marvel Comics characters HOWARD THE DUCK and MAN-
THING and had long runs on the Marvel books DAREDEVIL and SUB-MARINER.
He also wrote for such animated TV shows as G.I. JOE, TRANSFORMERS,
SUPERMAN, YU-GI-OH!, and THE NEW BATMAN ADVENTURES.

MEL HARRIS (65); died 6 September
Television and home video executive; helped launch STAR TREK: THE NEXT
GENERATION in 1987 as President of Paramount Television Group. Helped
to popularize and modernize the home video market and the first-run
syndication business. Worked at Paramount from 1977 through 1991,
where he also helped launch ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT and the USA Network;
he later headed the television division and home video operations at
Sony Pictures Entertainment, and was the company's co-president and
chief operating officer from 1999 through 2002.

ROBERT JUSTMAN (81); died 28 May
Associate producer and later co-producer on the original STAR TREK
series and assistant director of the two pilots, "The Cage" and "Where
No Man Has Gone Before." He later helped create STAR TREK: THE NEXT
GENERATION as that show's Supervising Producer during most of its
first season and was a technical consultant for the recent
"remastering" of the original series. He was also an assistant
director on films like Robert Aldrich's KISS ME DEADLY and ATTACK,
William Wellman's BLOOD ALLEY, and Fritz Lang's WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS,
an assistant director on shows such as I MARRIED JOAN and LASSIE, and
an assistant director and associate producer on THE ADVENTURES OF
SUPERMAN.

STANLEY KAMEL (65); died 8 April
Actor; played Kosinski in the STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION episode
"Where No One Has Gone Before." Best known for playing Dr. Charles
Kroger on the series MONK. He also had recurring roles on such shows
as CAGNEY & LACEY, L.A. LAW, MELROSE PLACE, BEVERLY HILLS 90210, and
MURDER ONE.

HERB KENWITH (90); died 30 January
TV director and producer; directed the STAR TREK original series
episode "The Lights of Zetar." He later became a director and producer
on the sitcom DIFF'RENT STROKES. Other shows he directed include
HERE'S LUCY, MARY TYLER MOORE, SANFORD AND SON, GOOD TIMES, ONE DAY AT
A TIME, GIMME A BREAK!, and AMEN.

PERRY LOPEZ (78); died 14 February
Actor; played Lt. Esteban Rodriguez in the STAR TREK episode "Shore
Leave." He is best known for playing Lt. Lou Escobar in the Academy
Award-winning film CHINATOWN, a role he reprised in the 1990 sequel,
THE TWO JAKES. His other credits include the classic films CREATURE
FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, MISTER ROBERTS, TARIS BULBA, McLINTOCK!, and
KELLY'S HEROES and guest spots on BONANZA, THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E.,
THE WILD WILD WEST, and CHARLIE'S ANGELS.

MAGGIE OSTROFF (73); died 4 February
Assistant sound editor on STAR TREK VI: THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY. Her
other credits as assistant sound editor include OLIVER & COMPANY,
PATRIOT GAMES, CRIMSON TIDE, THE ROCK, ARMAGEDDON, and ENEMY OF THE
STATE.

RANDY PAUSCH (47); died 25 July
Inspirational professor of computer science at Carnegie Mellon
University and devoted STAR TREK fan who was given a cameo role as a
Starfleet officer in J.J. Abrams' STAR TREK. He is best known for his
"last lecture" at CMU in 2007, which he held a month after learning
the pancreatic cancer he had been fighting for a year was terminal.
This lecture acquired international attention and news coverage, which
led to a NEW YORK TIMES best-selling book version, THE LAST LECTURE,
co-authored with WALL STREET JOURNAL reporter Jeff Zaslow.

JOSEPH PEVNEY (96); died 18 May
Director of fourteen episodes of the original STAR TREK series, many
of which are widely regarded as being among the best of the series,
including "The City on the Edge of Forever," "Amok Time," and "The
Trouble with Tribbles." He began as an actor in films like BODY AND
SOUL and THIEVES' HIGHWAY, then directed films such as MAN OF A
THOUSAND FACES, TAMMY AND THE BACHELOR, and TORPEDO RUN. Other TV
shows he has directed include THE MUNSTERS, 12 O'CLOCK HIGH, THE
FUGITIVE, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE, ADAM-12, BONANZA, and TRAPPER JOHN,
M.D.

GAYNE RESCHER (83); died 29 February
Cinematographer on STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN. He directed
photography on such films as A FACE IN THE CROWD, A NEW LEAF, and
RACHEL, RACHEL before focusing primarily on television. He won Emmy
Awards for his work on the TV movies THE SILENT LOVERS and SHOOTER and
the mini-series LUCKY/CHANCES, and received five additional Emmy
nominations.

LEONARD ROSENMAN (83); died 4 March
Composer and conductor who wrote the film score for 1986's STAR TREK
IV: THE VOYAGE HOME, for which he received an Academy Award
nomination. He won Academy Awards for adapting the music for the films
BARRY LYNDON and BOUND FOR GLORY and was also nominated for composing
the film CROSS CREEK; other films he composed include EAST OF EDEN,
REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE, FANTASTIC VOYAGE, BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE
APES, BATTLE FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES, and ROBOCOP 2. He also
composed TV shows such as COMBAT! and MARCUS WELBY, M.D., and won Emmy
Awards for composing the TV movies SYBIL and FRIENDLY FIRE.

MICHAEL ROUGAS (77); death unconfirmed, reportedly died 19 June
Actor and playwright; appeared as Lt. Cleary in STAR TREK: THE MOTION
PICTURE. Also had roles in such films as I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWORLF,
ICE STATION ZEBRA, AIRPORT, THE GREAT SANTINI, and SCARFACE.

PAUL SORENSEN (82); died 17 July
Actor; played the captain of the merchant ship in STAR TREK III: THE
SEARCH FOR SPOCK. Known for his recurring role as Andy Bradley on TV's
DALLAS. Also appeared in films such as HANG 'EM HIGH, WESTWORLD, and
SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT and on TV shows such as THE BIG VALLEY, MY THREE
SONS, BEWITCHED, IRONSIDE, GUNSMOKE and BARNABY JONES.

VIOLA STIMPSON (101); died 14 January
Actress who played the old tour lady who suggests a possible reason
for George and Gracie's whale song in STAR TREK IV: THE VOYAGE HOME.
She has also appeared in such films as THE WOMAN IN RED, INTO THE
NIGHT, and THE NUTTY PROFESSOR II: THE KLUMPS, in addition to such TV
shows as ST. ELSEWHERE, GROWING PAINS, GENERAL HOSPITAL, ER, and
SEINFELD.

JUD TAYLOR (76); died 6 August
Director of five episodes of the original STAR TREK's third season:
"The Paradise Syndrome," "Wink of an Eye," "Let That Be Your Last
Battlefield," "The Mark of Gideon," and "The Cloud Minders." Began as
an actor in films like THE GREAT ESCAPE and on TV shows like DR.
KILDARE. Other directorial credits include episodes of THE MAN FROM
U.N.C.L.E., THEN CAME BRONSON, and LAW & ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT,
as well as TV movies like TAIL GUNNER JOE, for which he received an
Emmy nomination.

MICHAEL VAN DYKE (48); died 19 March
Set construction foreman on STAR TREK NEMESIS. He was also
construction foreman on films like THE MATRIX RELOADED and CRANK. He
made news after committing suicide by hanging himself at the house he
was constructing on the property of actor-director Mel Gibson in
Agoura Hills, California.

JOAN WINSTON (77); died 11 September
Convention pioneer and author; helped organize the first STAR TREK
convention in 1972 and wrote the 1977 book THE MAKING OF THE TREK
CONVENTIONS. She also co-authored the book STAR TREK LIVES!, published
in 1975.

Stephen Bowie

Jan 1, 2009, 7:57:04 PM1/1/09

Chuck

Jan 1, 2009, 8:42:21 PM1/1/09
On Jan 1, 7:57 pm, Stephen Bowie <stephen_bo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Also the writer Paul Schneider:
>
> http://classictvhistory.wordpress.com/2008/11/21/obituaries-paul-schn...

Ah, I didn't realize he had died. I wish more sites had reported it.
Thanks for pointing this out!

~~~Chuck

nixi...@earthlink.net

Jan 1, 2009, 10:58:24 PM1/1/09

With all due respect to Alexander Courage and others, the big one on
the list is Majel Barrett-Rodenberry

Brad Ferguson

Jan 1, 2009, 11:33:44 PM1/1/09
In article
<52a0b6fd-1bd0-4b77...@z28g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
<"nixi...@earthlink.net"> wrote:

> Chuck wrote:

I didn't realize it was a competition.

J.D. Baldwin

Jan 2, 2009, 12:05:21 AM1/2/09

In the previous article, Brad Ferguson <Brad Ferguson> wrote:
> > With all due respect to Alexander Courage and others, the big one on
> > the list is Majel Barrett-Rodenberry
>

> I didn't realize it was a competition.

If it is, it doesn't seem to be one based on talent, name recognition,
awards or achievements.
\ / bal...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer

Louis Epstein

Jan 2, 2009, 12:29:36 AM1/2/09
Chuck <trekke...@verizon.net> wrote:
: This year, the STAR TREK franchise will be reborn when J.J. Abrams?
: highly-anticipated STAR TREK opens in theaters on May 8th. This new

: entry in the STAR TREK saga looks to create a new generation of fans,
: but there would be no new movie if not for STAR TREK?s longevity and

: creativity. As I did last January, I would like to recognize those who
: contributed to this enduring, prolific, and inspirational franchise
: that have passed away over the last year.

Personally,I long to see an obituary for the ST franchise...
no matter how old I must be to reach that blessed day.

-=-=-

Brad Ferguson

Jan 2, 2009, 12:37:33 AM1/2/09
In article <gjk8o0$rag$4...@reader1.panix.com>, Louis Epstein
<l...@main.put.com> wrote:

> Chuck <trekke...@verizon.net> wrote:
> : This year, the STAR TREK franchise will be reborn when J.J. Abrams?
> : highly-anticipated STAR TREK opens in theaters on May 8th. This new
> : entry in the STAR TREK saga looks to create a new generation of fans,
> : but there would be no new movie if not for STAR TREK?s longevity and
> : creativity. As I did last January, I would like to recognize those who
> : contributed to this enduring, prolific, and inspirational franchise
> : that have passed away over the last year.
>
> Personally,I long to see an obituary for the ST franchise...
> no matter how old I must be to reach that blessed day.

And I long to see you put spaces after commas and periods like normal
people.

Neither of us is ever going to get what he wants.

Message has been deleted

Chuck

Jan 2, 2009, 3:17:08 PM1/2/09
On Jan 2, 12:05 am, INVALID_SEE_...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin)
wrote:

> In the previous article, Brad Ferguson  <Brad Ferguson> wrote:
>
> > > With all due respect to Alexander Courage and others, the big one on
> > > the list is Majel Barrett-Rodenberry
>
> > I didn't realize it was a competition.
>
> If it is, it doesn't seem to be one based on talent, name recognition,
> awards or achievements.
> --
>   _+_ From the catapult of |If anyone objects to any statement I make, I am
> _|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |quite prepared not only to retract it, but also
> \      /  bald...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer
> ***~~~~----------------------------------------------------------------------

That's kind of an ignorant thing to say. Each one of these people
obviously had talent and made specific achievements in their specific
field, and as for awards, there's an Academy Award winner (Leonard
Rosenman), an Academy Award nominee (Alexander Courage), and at least
six of those listed here have either won or have been nominated for
Emmy Awards. As for name recognition, if you don't recognize at least
some of these names, I suggest you get out from under that rock. But
then, whether you recognize them or not is hardly relevant, is it? :)

Now, go on back outside and play, you little scamp you. :-P

Chuck

Jan 2, 2009, 3:21:53 PM1/2/09
On Jan 2, 12:29 am, Louis Epstein <l...@main.put.com> wrote:

Yah... not gonna happen. Sorry. :)

For the record, I long to see the day when the Harry Potter franchise
dies. Will it happen? Likely not... but at least it's more likely than
Star Trek croaking before either of us is in the ground.

My advice: find a new franchise to hate. Harry Potter's a good one to
hate. Join me and we can share the hatred. Or how about Star Wars?
They only made two good movies. Well, Jedi was okay, but the Ewoks
nearly killed that one. But then I don't see Star Wars dying anytime
soon, either... sadly.

David Carson

Jan 2, 2009, 5:41:16 PM1/2/09
On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 12:21:53 -0800 (PST), Chuck <trekke...@verizon.net>
wrote:

>My advice: find a new franchise to hate. Harry Potter's a good one to
>hate. Join me and we can share the hatred. Or how about Star Wars?
>They only made two good movies. Well, Jedi was okay, but the Ewoks
>nearly killed that one. But then I don't see Star Wars dying anytime
>soon, either... sadly.

The first two films were good because of Harrison Ford. Even he wasn't
enough to make the third film good.

David Carson
--
Why do you seek the living among the dead? -- Luke 24:5
Who's Alive and Who's Dead

J.D. Baldwin

Jan 2, 2009, 7:00:18 PM1/2/09

In the previous article, David Carson <da...@neosoft.com> wrote:
> The first two films were good because of Harrison Ford. Even he wasn't
> enough to make the third film good.

Even Carrie Fischer dressed in the slave-girl-metal-bikini couldn't save
that picture. That's a standard of badness that isn't easy to match.

\ / bal...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer