Roy Johnson, 49; Was OFer for Montreal Expos/Mexican Baseball League Star

Bill Schenley

Mar 6, 2009, 1:30:29 PM3/6/09
<Note: Johnson, who was born in Parkin, Arkansas, was a 5th round pick
(125th overall) in the 1980 draft. He played college ball for Tennessee
State.>

FROM: The Campeche Chronicle ~

1983 Donruss (#492) baseball card:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/bpv/images/e/ed/Johnsonroy.jpg

Roy Edward Johnson, an American who was once
a member of the Campeche Pirates, and who was
one of the most powerful foreign-born hitters to play
in Mexican baseball, died on Monday (January 26th
2009) at 49. He was the victim of a heart attack,
authorities reported.

Johnson, known as the "Arkansas Train," shares the
Mexican League Baseball record for most home runs
in one game with four, and is the Campeche Pirate
who has hit the most home runs in their history, with
114.

Government authorities reported, quoting relatives of
Johnson, that his death occurred at 11:30 am at his
home in a district of Santa Ana (San Francisco de
Campeche), the capital Campeche.

It was a shock to amateur and professional baseball in
Mexico.

Roy Johnson was buried at Jardines del Angel Cemetery,
in San Francisco de Campeche.
---
Stats: http://www.baseball-reference.com/j/johnsro04.shtml

Thanks to Rod Nelson from SABR for this obit.

vdog...@yahoo.com

Mar 31, 2015, 9:26:16 PM3/31/15
Roy Edward was my uncle here in the United states... We just found out the passing of Uncle Roy two years ago....I've been trying since to get in contact with someone to see what really happen..... His two living siblings would like to know

vdog...@yahoo.com

Mar 31, 2015, 9:28:24 PM3/31/15
Email... Ivpatt...@gmail.com.....his wife or kids can contact me by this email...