Dabbs Greer, 1917-2007

Brad Ferguson

Apr 30, 2007, 3:59:37 PM4/30/07
Jim Nolt, perhaps the biggest "Adventures of Superman" fan and
archivist there is, confirms that Dabbs Greer died on Sat 28 Apr at
10:05 p.m. PDT, less than a month after his 90th birthday.

Dabbs is beloved among "Adventures of Superman" fans for having been
the first person ever saved by George Reeves in the series. He also
appeared in two other episodes.

Jim Nolt says Dabbs will be buried in Missouri, near his parents. Jim
adds that he was told Dabbs "was alert and had his wits about him right
until the end."

danny burstein

Apr 30, 2007, 4:03:40 PM4/30/07
In <300420071559378139%thir...@frXOXed.net> Brad Ferguson <thir...@frXOXed.net> writes:

>Jim Nolt, perhaps the biggest "Adventures of Superman" fan and
>archivist there is, confirms that Dabbs Greer died on Sat 28 Apr at
>10:05 p.m. PDT, less than a month after his 90th birthday.

>Dabbs is beloved among "Adventures of Superman" fans for having been
>the first person ever saved by George Reeves in the series. He also
>appeared in two other episodes.

Going by memory (not a'googlin...), am I guessing right that
Dabbs was...

[spoiler alert]

[ spoiler alert ]

[ last chance ]

... that Dabbs portrayed the blimp (!) worker
who was hanging onto one of the mooring lines
as the airship flew around?

dan...@panix.com

Brad Ferguson

Apr 30, 2007, 4:07:38 PM4/30/07
In article <f15i2s$k34$1...@reader2.panix.com>, danny burstein
<dan...@panix.com> wrote:

> [ spoiler alert ]
>

> [ last chance ]
>

> ... that Dabbs portrayed the blimp (!) worker
> who was hanging onto one of the mooring lines
> as the airship flew around?

Yup. Dabbs was also the guy who was nearly executed for a murder he
didn't commit, and (in a double role) the guy who owned and the guy who
wanted to steal the Superman Silver Mine.

I really don't think a spoiler warning was necessary here, but what the
heck.

danny burstein

Apr 30, 2007, 4:10:16 PM4/30/07

Now this si getting scary. We're remembering minutia
from tv shows of forty years ago (yes, it was originally
in the 1950s, but I caught the WPIX channel 11 reruns
in the 1960s), yet we have trouble remembering what
we had for breakfast.

Brad Ferguson

Apr 30, 2007, 4:24:12 PM4/30/07
In article <f15if8$3b9$1...@reader2.panix.com>, danny burstein
<dan...@panix.com> wrote:

> >> [ spoiler alert ]
> >>

> >> [ last chance ]
> >>

> >> ... that Dabbs portrayed the blimp (!) worker
> >> who was hanging onto one of the mooring lines
> >> as the airship flew around?
>

> >Yup. Dabbs was also the guy who was nearly executed for a murder he
> >didn't commit, and (in a double role) the guy who owned and the guy who
> >wanted to steal the Superman Silver Mine.
>
> >I really don't think a spoiler warning was necessary here, but what the
> >heck.
>
> Now this si getting scary. We're remembering minutia
> from tv shows of forty years ago (yes, it was originally
> in the 1950s, but I caught the WPIX channel 11 reruns
> in the 1960s), yet we have trouble remembering what
> we had for breakfast.

Heh. I remember it -- barely -- in first-run on ABC in 1957-58. Then
it disappeared for a while, and showed up on WPIX in forever-reruns
sometime in 1961. WPIX finally gave up on it around 1978, except for a
one-month revival around 1980. WOR got it in 1987.

I suppose I should tell you that, during the WOR run, everybody in the
newsroom had the show on their deskside TVs on Saturday mornings.
Chris Glenn preferred the radio version, though.

Mucker

Apr 30, 2007, 4:35:11 PM4/30/07
On Apr 30, 2:59?pm, Brad Ferguson <thirt...@frXOXed.net> wrote:
> Jim Nolt, perhaps the biggest "Adventures of Superman" fan and
> archivist there is, confirms that Dabbs Greer died on Sat 28 Apr at
> 10:05 p.m. PDT, less than a month after his 90th birthday.
>
> Dabbs is beloved among "Adventures of Superman" fans for having been
> the first person ever saved by George Reeves in the series. << I remember him more for playing Tom Hank's character as a very elderly man in "The Green Mile" . Also as the prison guard who straps Susan Hayward into the gas chamber in "I Want To Live!".

Hyfler/Rosner

Apr 30, 2007, 6:32:28 PM4/30/07

"Brad Ferguson" <thir...@frXOXed.net> wrote in message

Here's a photo. Can anyone point me to some others?

Hyfler/Rosner

Apr 30, 2007, 6:36:58 PM4/30/07

"Hyfler/Rosner" <rel...@rcn.com> wrote in message >

> Here's a photo. Can anyone point me to some others?

Never mind. I was spelling his name wrong. Grr.

Brad Ferguson

Apr 30, 2007, 6:54:25 PM4/30/07
In article <e5idnZo6S5Xk86vb...@rcn.net>, Hyfler/Rosner
<rel...@rcn.com> wrote:

Here he is as the first guy ever saved by Superman (1951):

<http://davidschutz.tripod.com/dabbsgreer.jpg>

Dabbs (with Jim Nolt, mentioned above) at Dabbs's home in 2001:

<http://www.jimnolt.com/Graphics/dabbs-jim3a.jpg>

From "Little House on the Prairie," ca. 1978:

<http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/tv_pix/tvla
nd/little_house_on_the_prairie_photos/dabbs_greer/littlehouse.jpg>

A small "Green Mile" pic:

<http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bd/Dabbs_Greer_1999.JPG>

There's pics from several more of his movies here:

<http://www.spookytoms.com/TL-DabbsGreer1.jpg>

Message has been deleted

danny burstein

Apr 30, 2007, 7:11:23 PM4/30/07
In <GEuZh.10299$3P3....@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net> "A" <aa...@hot.net> writes:

> Long-term memory is much stronger and recorded deeper than
>short-term memory.

>> (yes, it was originally
>> in the 1950s, but I caught the WPIX channel 11 reruns
>> in the 1960s), yet we have trouble remembering what
>> we had for breakfast.

> "Kellogg's, the greatest name in cereals, presents the
>Adventures of Superman."

> < re: Kellogg's Frosted Flakes >

That's K-e-double-ell, o-double-good...

aka Bob

Apr 30, 2007, 7:11:53 PM4/30/07
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 18:54:25 -0400, Brad Ferguson
<thir...@frXOXed.net> magnanimously proffered:

And another small photo at this wonderful site for character actors.

http://www.what-a-character.com/cgi-bin/main.cgi?indexby=actor&limit=40&letter=G&orderby=lastname

--

"It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens." - Woody Allen

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>

aka Bob

Apr 30, 2007, 7:15:49 PM4/30/07
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 18:36:58 -0400, "Hyfler/Rosner" <rel...@rcn.com>
magnanimously proffered:

I started out by spelling it "Geer."

Any way, here is a wonderful resource for photos & biographies of
character actors:
http://www.what-a-character.com/cgi-bin/main.cgi?indexby=actor&limit=40&letter=G&orderby=lastname

Speaking of which, do you or anyone else know the name of the other
actor in the photo link you posted?

Garrett

Apr 30, 2007, 7:57:16 PM4/30/07

"aka Bob" <bobf...@surfwriter.net.not> wrote in message

> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 18:36:58 -0400, "Hyfler/Rosner" <rel...@rcn.com>
> magnanimously proffered:
>

>>"Hyfler/Rosner" <rel...@rcn.com> wrote in message >
>>> Here's a photo. Can anyone point me to some others?

>>Never mind. I was spelling his name wrong. Grr.
>
> I started out by spelling it "Geer."
>
> Any way, here is a wonderful resource for photos & biographies of
> character actors:
> http://www.what-a-character.com/cgi-bin/main.cgi?indexby=actor&limit=40&letter=G&orderby=lastname
>
> Speaking of which, do you or anyone else know the name of the other
> actor in the photo link you posted?

Harry Townes

aka Bob

Apr 30, 2007, 8:03:58 PM4/30/07
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 23:57:16 GMT, "Garrett" <sain...@sprintmail.com>
magnanimously proffered:

Thank you. According to What A Character, he became on-topic on 21 May
2001

http://www.what-a-character.com/cgi-bin/display.cgi?id=993651714

Brad Ferguson

Apr 30, 2007, 8:07:31 PM4/30/07
In article <t1uc33tjs0ovudg2g...@4ax.com>, aka Bob
<bobf...@surfwriter.net.not> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 18:36:58 -0400, "Hyfler/Rosner" <rel...@rcn.com>
> magnanimously proffered:
>

> >"Hyfler/Rosner" <rel...@rcn.com> wrote in message >
> >> Here's a photo. Can anyone point me to some others?

> >Never mind. I was spelling his name wrong. Grr.
>
> I started out by spelling it "Geer."
>
> Any way, here is a wonderful resource for photos & biographies of
> character actors:
>
> http://www.what-a-character.com/cgi-bin/main.cgi?indexby=actor&limit=40&letter
> =G&orderby=lastname
>
> Speaking of which, do you or anyone else know the name of the other
> actor in the photo link you posted?

His name is Harry Townes. He died on 23 May 2001 at 86 in Huntsville
AL, where he was born.

The pic, BTW, is from the premiere episode of "The Fugitive." Dabbs
appeared in six episodes of the series, always in a different role. In
one case, Dabbs repeated as a sheriff only three weeks after he'd
played the mayor of some other town.

Stacia

Apr 30, 2007, 9:16:06 PM4/30/07
Brad Ferguson <thir...@frXOXed.net> writes:

>The pic, BTW, is from the premiere episode of "The Fugitive." Dabbs
>appeared in six episodes of the series, always in a different role. In
>one case, Dabbs repeated as a sheriff only three weeks after he'd
>played the mayor of some other town.

Greer was in everything. He was awesome, one of my favorite character
actors. IIRC, he was on "Picket Fences" and just about every show I
watched when I was a kid.

Stacia

SlobbyDon

Apr 30, 2007, 10:01:07 PM4/30/07
Here's the first news story I've seen:

http://www.neoshodailynews.com/articles/2007/04/30/news/02dabbs.txt

*Actor, area native Dabbs Greer dies*
By John Ford / Daily News Managing Editor
Published: Monday, April 30, 2007 5:55 PM CDT
E-mail this story | Print this page

A veteran character actor from the Neosho area - best known for his
roles in film's “The Green Mile” and television's “Little House on the
Prairie” - has died.

Dabbs Greer, 90, died at a California hospital Saturday evening, B.J.
Goodwin, owner of Ozark Funeral Home and the McDonald County coroner,
confirmed this morning. The cause of death was not immediately known
this morning. A memorial service is pending, Goodwin said.

Greer was born April 2, 1917, in Fairview and moved to Anderson with his
family as an infant. His father operated a drug store in Anderson, while
his mother was a speech therapist.

Greer got his first acting experience on the stage of a Children's
Theater production at age 8. After graduating from Anderson High School,
he attended Drury College in Springfield, earning a bachelor's degree.
He was head of the drama department at Mountain Grove High School from
1940 to 1943.

Greer made his film debut as an extra in the 1938 20th Century Fox
production of “Jesse James,” which was filmed primarily in Pineville.

“Just like everybody else in the county,” he joked during a 2002
interview with the Neosho Daily News. “The folks at 20th Century Fox
didn't realize this, but that picture really put McDonald County on the
map. And they were paying $5 a day - a day! - to local people for being
extras. That was really good money in those days, more money than we had
seen in a long time. That picture was beneficial for the whole area.”

Greer played several parts in the production, including a man on the
street, a well-dressed young man, and a Confederate soldier.

After teaching at Mountain Grove, Greer went to Pasadena, where he was
offered a job at the community playhouse. He left the position after
seven years for a career in film, including “Father's Little Dividend”
with Spencer Tracy and Elizabeth Taylor; “Monkey Business” with Cary
Grant; and “Invasion of the Body Snatchers.” More recent roles have
included such films as “Con Air” and “The Green Mile,” a film based on a
Stephen King serial novel. In the latter film, Greer portrayed the
elderly Paul Edgecomb.

Television appearances have included “The Brady Bunch” pilot episode,
where he portrayed the minister who married Mike and Carol Brady. He
also had roles in series such as “Gunsmoke,” “Gomer Pyle USMC,” “How to
Marry a Millionaire,” and “Picket Fences.” He was perhaps best known for
his portrayal of Rev. Alden in “Little House on the Prairie.”

In 2002, Anderson paid tribute to Greer as the community renamed the
Town Hole Park in his honor. In an interview that year, Greer recalled
growing up in Anderson.

“I still have some good memories of the place, and I've never called any
other place home, although I've lived in California for 50 years. One
thing about a small town like Anderson is you get to know people
intimately. You can't do that in a big city. It was a beautiful city
then, and it's still beautiful. We would fish, have adventures, just do
the things that boys do in a rural community.”

Goodwin said Greer's caretaker in California would be contacting the
funeral home this afternoon about arrangements. More information will be
in upcoming editions of the Neosho Daily News.

Kathi

Apr 30, 2007, 11:45:21 PM4/30/07
On Tue, 1 May 2007 01:16:06 +0000 (UTC), sta...@xmission.com (Stacia)
wrote:

I remember him best playing two preachers: "Little House" of course,
and the first episode of "The Brady Bunch", in which he played the
minister who performed Mike & Carol's wedding ceremony.

Always liked him, and he seemed very likable as well. Sorry to see him
go.

Brad Ferguson

May 1, 2007, 5:38:58 PM5/1/07
In article <7rdd33drkcdt5586i...@4ax.com>, Kathi
<kath...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I remember him best playing two preachers: "Little House" of course,
> and the first episode of "The Brady Bunch", in which he played the
> minister who performed Mike & Carol's wedding ceremony.

Mark Evanier's blog at <http://www.newsfromme.com/> has a post from
Trevor Kimball which points out that, twenty-one years later, Dabbs
repeated as the minister on the successor series "The Bradys," when
Bobby Brady got married. As Mr. Kimball noted, a nice touch.