Miyoshi Umeki (Mrs. Livingston from "The Courtship of Eddie's Father" TV show), 78

Kent

Sep 4, 2007, 11:56:44 PM9/4/07
Okay, I admit this is the tiniest bit iffy, but according to a post on a
website that had a reference to my site, she died about a week ago.
According to the post, a good friend of hers told the person making the post
that she had died. That's a little vague, but I did some research and it
all seems to hang together. IMDb says she's the widow of Randall Hood and
that in 2004 she moved to a small town in Missouri to be near her son and
family. There's an obituary listing in the Springfield (MO) News-Leader for
a Miyoshi Hood, aged 78. Going by her birth date (April 3, 1929), that's
exactly how old Miyoshi Umeki would be now.

The posters on the site, who were arguing back and forth about the truth of
the news, mentioned it was in some Missouri newspapers. Here's a link to
the site:
http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=946439&boardname=off&dt=5

And here's a link to the death notice. It's not a obituary, just a one line
notice with the name, date, and town.

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070830/BREAKING05/70830047/0/BREAKING01

Kent
Dead or Alive?
http://www.deadoraliveinfo.com

Kent

Sep 5, 2007, 12:04:08 AM9/5/07
Farther down in the thread on that site, someone says that her son has
confirmed the news that she died on August 29.

Kent

Mordecai2.0

Sep 5, 2007, 1:05:25 AM9/5/07
Considering that Umeki is an Academy Award winner (Best Supporting
Actress for "Sayonara" in 1957), I'm surprised this isn't getting more
play on the wires. Or any play, for that matter.

M.

In article <KeadnfdZ1O6ZtEPb...@comcast.com>,

Brad Ferguson

Sep 5, 2007, 1:07:33 AM9/5/07
In article <IsGdnaUqtIZft0Pb...@comcast.com>, Kent
<ke...@ixnayontheamspay-deadoraliveinfo.com> wrote:

Oscar lock, I think. She won for "Sayonara" (heh) and that's a
well-remembered film.

MDB1...@hotmail.com

Sep 5, 2007, 1:44:39 AM9/5/07

She left a mark in all three mediums: film ("Sayonara"), TV
("Courtship of Eddie's Father") and stage, where she starred with Key
Luke in the original production of Rodgers And Hammerstein's "Flower
Drum Song". Before I check the Imdb, I'll say I'm pretty certain she
was in the movie version of the hit musical, as well.

MDB1...@hotmail.com

Sep 5, 2007, 1:51:03 AM9/5/07

She left a mark in all three mediums: film ("Sayonara"), TV

R H Draney

Sep 5, 2007, 2:54:40 AM9/5/07
MDB1...@hotmail.com filted:

>Brad Ferguson wrote:
>> In article <IsGdnaUqtIZft0Pb...@comcast.com>, Kent
>> <ke...@ixnayontheamspay-deadoraliveinfo.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Farther down in the thread on that site, someone says that her son has
>> > confirmed the news that she died on August 29.
>>
>> Oscar lock, I think. She won for "Sayonara" (heh) and that's a
>> well-remembered film.
>
>She left a mark in all three mediums: film ("Sayonara"), TV
>("Courtship of Eddie's Father") and stage, where she starred with Key
>Luke in the original production of Rodgers And Hammerstein's "Flower
>Drum Song". Before I check the Imdb, I'll say I'm pretty certain she
>was in the movie version of the hit musical, as well.

Without checking the IMDb, I'll confirm your "pretty certain"...we used to
giggle about how Caucasians used to think nothing of a Japanese actor playing a
Chinese role (now you get Zhang Ziyi doing the reverse in "Memoirs of a Geisha"
and people get upset)....r

--
"You got Schadenfreude on my Weltanschauung!"
"You got Weltanschauung in my Schadenfreude!"

Stacia

Sep 5, 2007, 3:30:46 AM9/5/07
"Kent" <ke...@ixnayontheamspay-deadoraliveinfo.com> writes:

>Farther down in the thread on that site, someone says that her son has
>confirmed the news that she died on August 29.

Oh no, that's too bad. I was hoping it would be a rumor.
She was an Oscar-winning actress. No one seems to remember that
anymore.

Stacia

The Kentucky Wizard

Sep 5, 2007, 4:08:53 AM9/5/07
Upon receiving news that Kent had made the remarks below, and after
consultations with my Joint Chiefs of Staff, being briefed by members of my
Cabinet and many telephone conversations with various World Leaders, I have
come to the following conclusions:

Wikipedia confirms her death, which is generally a reliable source, IMHO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyoshi_Umeki

Born May 8, 1929 (1929-05-08)
Otaru, Hokkaido, Japan
Died August 29, 2007 (aged 78) in Licking, Missouri, USA

Spouse(s)Frederick Winfield Opie (1958-?)
Randall Hood (1968-1976)

--
Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and
beat you with experience.

© The Wiz ®

Brad Ferguson

Sep 5, 2007, 7:03:48 AM9/5/07
In article <no-91CB18.22...@032-478-847.area7.spcsdns.net>,
Mordecai2.0 <n...@way.jose> wrote:

> Considering that Umeki is an Academy Award winner (Best Supporting
> Actress for "Sayonara" in 1957), I'm surprised this isn't getting more
> play on the wires. Or any play, for that matter.

How do you expect them to know about it if no one tells them? The
wires don't just suck this stuff from out of the ether. If you want to
blame somebody, blame the local paper, which is probably an AP member
and, as such, is supposed to tell the AP about something like this.

Early this morning I sent what we knew here to somebody who will make
the wire thing happen, probably sometime today.

Hyfler/Rosner

Sep 5, 2007, 7:20:23 AM9/5/07

"Brad Ferguson" <thir...@frXOXed.net> wrote in message

And last night, I forwarded to Steve and Adam. (NY Sun and
Wash Post)

Kent

Sep 5, 2007, 9:30:27 AM9/5/07

> Wikipedia confirms her death, which is generally a reliable source, IMHO.

Well, actually, I made the entry in Wikipedia listing her death. :) I've
never seen a death I knew about not already posted on Wikipedia when I
looked, so I thought I'd do the honors. Other people added additional
information but I made the initial death posting. So, it's a powerful case
of self-confirmation. Gotta love it. LOL

Louis Epstein

Sep 5, 2007, 7:58:26 PM9/5/07
:
[...]
:>
:> And here's a link to the death notice. It's not a obituary, just a
:> one line notice with the name, date, and town.
:>
:> http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070830/BREAKING05/70830047/0/BREAKING01
:>
:> Kent
:> Dead or Alive?
:> http://www.deadoraliveinfo.com
:
:
: Wikipedia confirms her death, which is generally a reliable source, IMHO.

Wikipedia is never a source and gets mad at people who try to make it one.
They ban "original research" and demand "verifiable sources"...they don't
care if information is true,it has to come from somewhere else that people
can look at.

-=-=-

Message has been deleted

The Kentucky Wizard

Sep 6, 2007, 1:14:16 AM9/6/07
Upon receiving news that Louis Epstein had made the remarks below, and after

Sooooo, they didn't like one of your submissions, Louis?

Louis Epstein

Sep 6, 2007, 1:54:43 AM9/6/07
The Kentucky Wizard <KyWi...@insightbb.com> wrote:
: Upon receiving news that Louis Epstein had made the remarks below, and after
:

I made thousands...and along the line there came up disputes
that made me give up on them and encourage everyone else
possible to do likewise.

Laurie Mann

Sep 6, 2007, 6:32:56 AM9/6/07
I have mixed feelings about Wikipedia for a host of reasons.

That said, AP picked up her death today; it sounds like it wasn't
really announced until yesterday.

I remember her from the '60s, and wish she would have stayed in the
business.

Laurie Mann
Dead People Server
http://www.deadpeople.info

Hyfler/Rosner

Sep 6, 2007, 8:58:14 AM9/6/07

"Kent" <ke...@ixnayontheamspay-deadoraliveinfo.com> wrote in
message news:KeadnfdZ1O6ZtEPb...@comcast.com...

> Okay, I admit this is the tiniest bit iffy, but according
> to a post on a website that had a reference to my site,
> she died about a week ago. According to the post, a good
> friend of hers told the person making the post that she
> had died. That's a little vague, but I did some research
> and it all seems to hang together. IMDb says she's the
> widow of Randall Hood and that in 2004 she moved to a
> small town in Missouri to be near her son and family.
> There's an obituary listing in the Springfield (MO)
> News-Leader for a Miyoshi Hood, aged 78. Going by her
> birth date (April 3, 1929), that's exactly how old Miyoshi
> Umeki would be now.

Kudos to Kent for this scoop on the obituary world.

Janice Busgal Brooks

Sep 6, 2007, 9:18:22 AM9/6/07
On Sep 6, 8:58 am, "Hyfler/Rosner" <rel...@rcn.com> wrote:
> "Kent" <k...@ixnayontheamspay-deadoraliveinfo.com> wrote in
> messagenews:KeadnfdZ1O6ZtEPb...@comcast.com...
>

> Kudos to Kent for this scoop on the obituary world.

I'll second that

Jim Beaver

Sep 6, 2007, 11:13:41 AM9/6/07

"Laurie Mann" <laurie...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>I have mixed feelings about Wikipedia for a host of reasons.
>
> That said, AP picked up her death today; it sounds like it wasn't
> really announced until yesterday.

Depends on what you mean by "really announced." It was in some small
Missouri papers on August 30.

Jim Beaver

Kent

Sep 6, 2007, 9:22:10 PM9/6/07