Steve Klong, 46 - Drummer (LA Times Paid Obituary)

Bob Feigel

Jun 27, 2008, 2:10:15 AM6/27/08
http://www.legacy.com/latimes/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=112224131

Stephen J. Klong

KLONG, Stephen J. (46), L.A. Drummer, Producer and Composer Steve
Klong, Drummer and Producer who worked with a diverse group of artists
including Wilson Phillips, Nelson, Berlin, Savoy Brown, Havana 3 A.M.,
and Cafe R&B among many others, died June 15 of non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

After establishing himself as a first-rate session and touring drummer
for several years, he also founded The King Klong Music Group, a
successful TV and commercial production music house whose clients
included Subway, Volkswagen, Budweiser, CSI Miami, The West Wing, Cold
Case, The Amazing Race, NFL Football and many more.

Born April 16, 1962 in Chicago, Steve moved to Los Angeles at the age
of six and began percussion studies with Craig Woodson in West Los
Angeles when he was 6.

Upon his graduation from Grant High School in Van Nuys, he was
accepted at the Percussion Institute in Hollywood. After graduating,
he worked as a private tutor for PIT students.

Beginning in the mid 80's, Steve's reputation as a ferocious live
performer and a detailed craftsman in the recording studio spread
throughout Los Angeles.

In 1990, he played drums for Wilson Phillips world tour promoting
their breakthrough debut album and also appeared with the band on "The
Tonight Show" and 1990 Grammy Awards. During the 90s, he toured with
Berlin, performed on the debut Nelson album "After The Rain", toured
with Havana 3 A.M. and recorded and performed with Shrine. In 1995 he
joined LA's Cafe R&B, an association that lasted over ten years,
playing on all of the bands albums and tours throughout the U.S. and
Europe. In the last two years of his life he also served as producer,
music director and drummer for vocalist Audra Hardt.

Originally diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma in May, 2005, Steve
underwent chemotherapy and a stem cell transplant, yet he continued to
play, write and produce and started a new business renovating and
renting studio space.

He also found Jeanne, the love of his life and constant companion.

Steve, we will miss you most for your amazing spirit, huge heart and
lust for life. You are an inspiration to us all for your courage and
grace, not only in dealing with your disease but in the way you lived
your life. You are our hero and will live in our hearts forever.

Steve is survived by his mother, Estelle Edelman, father Larry
(Mellody) Klong, brother Michael, sister Lisa and loving companion,
Jeanne Fay.

A memorial celebration of his life will be held on Thursday, June 26
at 4:00 p.m. at Temple Isaiah, 10345 West Pico Blvd., Los Angeles, CA
90064. In lieu of flowers, the family has asked that donations be made
to The Dr. Gordon Research Fund, c/o Northwestern University, Rubloff
Bldg. - 9th Floor, 750 N. Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL 60611,
Skirball Hospice, Encino, CA and the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. They
also respectfully request that friends and loved ones contact the
Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and consider becoming stem cell donors.

Published in the Los Angeles Times on 6/25/2008.

--

"It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens." - Woody Allen

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>