Jeani Read; journalist (great)

Hyfler/Rosner

Jan 26, 2008, 11:05:56 AM1/26/08
From rock 'n' roll to home renovation, she always
found an audience in Vancouver

Gentle in person but a ferocious interviewer, she
drove certain readers mad with her 'hard-left feminist
persuasion'

By TOM HAWTHORN

Special to The Globe and Mail

Thursday, January 24, 2008 - Print Edition, Page S8

VICTORIA -- Rod Stewart once greeted her at the door
to his hotel room clad only in underwear and a sexy,
pop-star pout.

Rod the Mod may have had amour in mind, but Jeani Read
arrived armed with pen and notepad in search of nothing more
thrilling than bons mots.

Stylish in dress and energetic in style, Ms. Read
herself could have been mistaken for a star. As a freelance
critic, her eager approach and prolific coverage managed to
create a rock music beat where none had existed in the pages
of The Province, a morning broadsheet in Vancouver not
previously known for being attuned to popular music.

She was a rare woman in any city to be covering rock
in those days, perhaps excusing Mr. Stewart's mistaken
impression as to the reason for her appearance at his room.

Kind and gentle in person, she could be a ferocious
interviewer. Her successor as rock critic, Tom Harrison,
described an incident in which Billy Joel waited to be
interviewed by Ms. Read backstage: "She came flying in,
wearing a fur coat, boa scarf, floppy hat and carrying an
oversized handbag that contained her interview notes," Mr.
Harrison wrote. "Behind her large-framed glasses, she seemed
flustered. Right, thought Joel, as he observed this
apparently ditzy female, piece of cake.

"Jeani's first question to him, once her nervous
energy had been relatively contained, was, 'Why do you hate
women?' " Mr. Joel would later pronounce it the most
difficult interview of his life.

In 1971, the Georgia Straight described her arriving
at a cocktail party for Elton John in "buckskin hot pants
and a matching midicoat." She immediately nabbed the star
for a quick, exclusive interview.

When she reviewed George Harrison's first North
American solo tour after the breakup of the Beatles, her
opinion was reprinted in a feature article by Rolling Stone
magazine.

"All I could think about was Dylan a few months ago,"
she wrote in 1974, "singing all his songs wrong for all the
people who wanted to hear them the way they were used to
hearing them. Because Harrison sang most of his songs wrong,
too. Except the painful difference was that Dylan was in
complete control of what he was doing. It was an
extraordinary experience in image breaking, of personal
integrity. And George - well, George didn't seem as if he
knew what he was doing at all."

Her enthusiasm waned as she tired of rock's banality
in the late 1970s. Finding little in punk to rekindle her
interest, she abandoned music to write a lifestyles column.
It was called "Stayin' Alive," which, incidentally, was the
title of a contemporary Bee Gees hit. She brought an
unpredictability and a certain freewheeling sensibility
owing much to her own coming of age in the 1960s. The column
made her one of Vancouver's best-known journalists.

In a city where newspaper columnists succeeded by
writing about exotic nightlife or the even more bizarre
world of B.C. politics, Ms. Read found a readership by
exploring the topics of morality and behaviour that in an
earlier age would have been dismissed as women's issues.

B.C. Bookworld magazine described her style as
"cryptic and often witty." Her prose was idiosyncratic to be
sure, yet it was eminently readable. She drove certain
readers mad - usually men.

Rafe Mair, the radio hotline host who had been a
Social Credit cabinet minister, dismissed her in The
Financial Post as a "columnist of the hard-left feminist
persuasion."

One of her critical correspondents was a young male
university student to whom she responded with a letter that
left an impression. Many years later, the student wound up
as her boss. Making the effort to respond "was a lesson in
decency and professionalism," Province editor-in-chief Wayne
Moriarty told his newspaper after her death.

A short newspaper blurb or overheard snippet of
conversation could give birth to a column. "She just kept
her ear to the ground," said her husband, Michael Mercer, a
playwright and writer for television. "It was very much as
things came."

A 1992 column about the Ontario court battle over
women's right to walk topless in public made several piquant
observations. Ms. Read agreed with the women's position, yet
teased them for not campaigning for, say, universal breast
screening. She also offered her support to topless dancers -
"exploited by the patriarchy on one hand and treated with
contempt by their sisters on the other."

She finished the column by noting that she would be
attending the Vancouver Folk Festival ("a pioneer
breast-rights venue"), but not an upcoming protest march in
Ontario, preferring instead to "wait for the next
inalienable-rights demonstration, when men across the
country participate in a Winkie Walk."

A collection of her more provocative columns, titled
Endless Summers and Other Shared Hallucinations, was
published by Flight Press in 1985.

Jeananne Patricia Read was born in Shanghai in 1947 to
George Read, a British accountant, and the former Elfreida
Ennock, an exotic beauty of German-Estonian ancestry. Ms.
Ennock was born in 1920 in Vladivostok, the Siberian city
that became an outpost of opposition to the Bolshevik
revolutionists. Her family fled to Shanghai. She met her
husband from among the expatriates living in the Chinese
city's International Settlement. They married in 1940,
spending four years in Japanese internment. After the family
emigrated to Canada, Elfreida Read spent time in a
sanatorium for treatment of tuberculosis. At this time, a
female relative helped care for Jeani, who spoke some
Russian as a child. Her mother recovered to enjoy a career
as a poet, memoirist and children's author.

Jeani graduated from the University of British
Columbia with an English degree. Her career at the Province
spanned a transition from broadsheet to tabloid, as well as
countless editorial regime changes.

The Georgia Straight saw the loss of her column some
years ago as a reflection of the newspaper's adoption of a
more monotonous political tone, as liberal voices
disappeared and those of a conservative bent became
ascendant.

In recent months, Ms. Read's considerable talents were
called upon to explore the intricacies of home renovations.
She also handled such lifestyles features as "Girl Talk" and
"Bachelor of the Week." If the assignments seemed somewhat
lesser than the person assigned to them, Ms. Read remained
as diligent as ever in crafting readable vignettes.

It must also be said she was a welcome presence in the
newsroom, where female colleagues enjoyed her friendship and
male colleagues quietly nursed their crushes. She was known
for her teasing office debates with Jim Taylor, a sports
columnist who held an antipathy to feminism and baseball,
both of which she ably defended.

She once dated Bruce Allen, the crusty rock promoter
whose first great success was Bachman-Turner Overdrive. They
had met at school in 1963, where Mr. Allen remembers a
brilliant, award-winning student. It was Ms. Read who
suggested to her boyfriend that he name his fledgling
booking agency and management company after himself, and it
is still known as Bruce Allen Talent.

The couple befriended Jack Wasserman, The Vancouver
Sun's legendary chronicler of saloon life, for whom Ms. Read
did research. The columnist provided entree to the city's
thriving club scene, as well as to the raucous newspaper
business.

Ms. Read later met the man who would be her husband at
a reception held for poet Leonard Cohen.

Ms. Read wrote scripts with her husband, one of which,
an episode of The Beachcombers titled "Computer Error," was
nominated for a 1988 Gemini Award.

The couple once collaborated on a letter to the editor
of The Globe, suggesting the phenomenon known as the "brain
drain" instead should become known as the "greed bleed."

In 1999, her husband suffered kidney failure. In
searching for a donor, it was discovered that Ms. Read was a
match. She immediately volunteered to donate her kidney,
which Mr. Mercer still carries.

The failure of her health came with stunning speed.
Cancer of the esophagus was diagnosed only a few weeks
before her death. Her passing was so unexpected - and her
writing so consistently good - that another newspaper in the
CanWest chain reprinted one of her articles postmortem
without noting her passing.

Her untimely death means she did not have the chance
to begin a project she had long contemplated - a Canadian
version of William Least Heat-Moon's Blue Highways, a
nostalgic travelogue of rural roads.

JEANANNE PATRICIA READ

Jeani Read was born Feb. 12, 1947, in Shanghai, China.
She died of cancer at St. Paul's Hospital in Vancouver on
Dec. 21, 2007. She was 60. She leaves her husband, Michael
Mercer, whom she married in 1983 after a lengthy courtship;
brother Philip Read and father George Read.

pixelshim.gif

La N

Jan 26, 2008, 11:10:19 AM1/26/08

"Hyfler/Rosner" <rel...@rcn.com> wrote in message

> From rock 'n' roll to home renovation, she always found an audience
> in Vancouver
>

> Gentle in person but a ferocious interviewer, she drove certain
> readers mad with her 'hard-left feminist persuasion'

A great obit about a great lady who was also interesting to read. Her
journalism colleagues in Vancouver miss her like crazy (according to what I
have been reading from them).

- nilita

Jane Margaret Laight

Jan 26, 2008, 12:43:29 PM1/26/08

Hi Nilita--

This sounds like someone I would have loved to have met--she appeared
to have had the wit, charm and devil-may-care attitude of a girl who
could care less about what anyone thought of her; I have no doubt that
her loss leaves a huge gaping hole in the lives of those who knew her.
Her most recent articles are on line and I have been sitting here
taking a look at them; she had the knack of telling a story in a quick
and effective way--but making it interesting.

A quote from another site I think sums up what folks thought of her:

"If you believe in Heaven, and if you believe in Justice, you will
comfort yourself (as I am doing) by imagining Ms. Jeani Read sitting
on a barstool flanked by the Two Jacks [Wassermann and Wbester,
Vancouver journalistic giants] discussing whether or not there's
anything fair in Love or War, between Men and Women, or for that
matter, in Life and Death. "

http://evalu8.org/staticpage?page=review&siteid=11410

For a little extra, here's some information on her mother--an
intersting person in her own right:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.abcbookworld.com/photos/4196.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.abcbookworld.com/%3Fstate%3Dview_author%26author_id%3D4196&h=247&w=150&sz=9&hl=en&start=27&sig2=60OIH5-Kef7EFGcl79t5Iw&um=1&tbnid=S8OPmq7OIdBKRM:&tbnh=110&tbnw=67&ei=YG6bR522GZuEevO6zc0G&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522Jeani%2BRead%2522%26start%3D20%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rls%3DRNWE,RNWE:2005-50,RNWE:en%26sa%3DN

stay well, kiddo

JML
time on her hands

La N

Jan 26, 2008, 6:50:24 PM1/26/08

"Jane Margaret Laight" <jml2...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Hi Nilita--

http://evalu8.org/staticpage?page=review&siteid=11410

stay well, kiddo

*********************************

I set this aside this morning to read this afternoon. Great stuff, Jane! I
am like you in that I admire great dames, grand women, and have had the luck
to have been mentored by several.

One of my favourite "great dames" is a writer/poet and occasional hostness
of mine in L.A., Jeanne Khan. It was her piece of writing I posted recently
re. her reminiscences of her late son and Bobby Fischer. She recently turned
70, has been "retired" for many years and absolutely cannot sit still for
all the "causes" she stands for and the righteous indignation she feels
towards the perpetrators of all the ills of the world ... :). She is a
patroness of several animal organizations, including my little local SPCA.

When she "goes" and, god forbid I hope it is no time soon, I am sure there
will be a similar outpouring of messages online and off, that has been
received in the memory of Jeani Read, from people whose lives she has
touched.

- nilita, still snowed in ...

bill van

Jan 26, 2008, 9:30:35 PM1/26/08
In article <4HPmj.43540$fj2.6686@edtnps82>,
"La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Jane Margaret Laight" <jml2...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Jan 26, 11:10 am, "La N" <nilita2004NOS...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > "Hyfler/Rosner" <rel...@rcn.com> wrote in message

> > > From rock 'n' roll to home renovation, she always found an audience
> > > in Vancouver
> >
> > > Gentle in person but a ferocious interviewer, she drove certain
> > > readers mad with her 'hard-left feminist persuasion'

Jeani didn't take any crap, but she was not a radical feminist. More a
practical one. She liked teasing male old farts who couldn't tell the
difference.

> > A great obit about a great lady who was also interesting to read. Her
> > journalism colleagues in Vancouver miss her like crazy (according to what
> > have been reading from them).
> >
> > - nilita
>
> Hi Nilita--
>
> This sounds like someone I would have loved to have met--she appeared
> to have had the wit, charm and devil-may-care attitude of a girl who
> could care less about what anyone thought of her; I have no doubt that
> her loss leaves a huge gaping hole in the lives of those who knew her.
> Her most recent articles are on line and I have been sitting here
> taking a look at them; she had the knack of telling a story in a quick
> and effective way--but making it interesting.

I worked at the Province for a couple of years before Jeani got married
and got to know her as a good acquaintance. I never heard her raise her
voice in the newsroom and she seemed to have time for everyone. She
looked glamorous, but didn't act it. From time to time she'd be in the
mood to help close the press club, which was across the street. She'd
sometimes want to finish the conversation and would invite anyone at the
table back to her place, where we'd talk and she would play music from
her immense vinyl collection, accumulated when she was rock critic.
Sometimes for hours. Nice lady.

Around that time, I'm pretty sure, the writer of her obituary, Tommy
Hawthorne -- whose stuff appears here frequently -- worked for several
years at the other Vancouver daily across the hall, and he would have
known Jeani. It must be tough to write a colleague's obit. Good job, Tom.

--
bill
remove my country for e-mail

danny burstein

Jan 26, 2008, 10:06:17 PM1/26/08
[ full snip; go back and buy the book already ]

She sounds like Mary Richards' "Aunt Flo".

dan...@panix.com