DC Madame Deborah Palfrey (suicide)

Kris Baker

May 1, 2008, 1:13:13 PM5/1/08
MSNBC Breaking News:
Deborah Palfrey, the 52-year-old DC Madame,
has been found dead in her apartment. She had
been convicted this week of all charges brought
against her.
Message has been deleted

Poe

May 1, 2008, 1:29:43 PM5/1/08

Any idea how much time she would have served?

Some of the pics from yesterday (now up on some sites) show her looking
pretty depressed, like this one:
http://www.daylife.com/topic/Deborah_J_Palfrey

Magnus

May 1, 2008, 2:26:27 PM5/1/08

I wonder what the average life expectancy is for prostitutes.

magnus

brigid nelson

May 1, 2008, 3:07:05 PM5/1/08
Poe wrote:
> Kris Baker wrote:
>> MSNBC Breaking News:
>> Deborah Palfrey, the 52-year-old DC Madame,
>> has been found dead in her apartment. She had
>> been convicted this week of all charges brought
>> against her.
>

> Any idea how much time she would have served?

I heard it reported today that she was looking at 50 years.

brigid

Matthew Kruk

May 1, 2008, 3:18:31 PM5/1/08
"Poe" <hau...@terrible-thought.com> wrote in message

From the above URL:

"On April 15, Palfrey was convicted of money laundering, using the mail for
illegal purposes and racketeering. Palfrey faced a maximum of 55 years in prison
and was free pending her sentencing July 24."

wildfire

May 1, 2008, 3:19:14 PM5/1/08
in article 85GdnVqyzevQiYfV...@comcast.com, brigid nelson at
irja...@comcast.net wrote on 5/1/08 2:07 PM:

Sounds like Vince Foster all over again. Oh Hilllllary?????

And slimeball hypocrite David Vitter goes on with his life with a sigh of
relief now, though I'm sure his wife Wendy will never again give him pussy.

His life is forever now like playing Bridge...if you don't have a good
partner, you better have a good hand.

Poe

May 1, 2008, 3:18:48 PM5/1/08
wildfire wrote:
> in article 85GdnVqyzevQiYfV...@comcast.com, brigid nelson at
> irja...@comcast.net wrote on 5/1/08 2:07 PM:
>
>> Poe wrote:
>>>
>>> Any idea how much time she would have served?
>> I heard it reported today that she was looking at 50 years.
>>
>> brigid
>
> Sounds like Vince Foster all over again. Oh Hilllllary?????

I haven't yet heard the method of death that would indicate suicide, but
supposedly there was a suicide note... who'd bother to kill her now?
Looking over the coverage of this it sounds like she didn't have a juicy
clientčle list to out anyone noteworthy, or to cause a grudge worthy of
murder.

Bill Shroyer

May 1, 2008, 4:08:52 PM5/1/08
On Thu, 1 May 2008 11:26:27 -0700 (PDT), Magnus
<robertc...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I wonder what the average life expectancy is for prostitutes.

Hooker years run non-hooker years about 2 or 3 to 1, depending on the
turf they hook. In other words, a prostitute beginning prostitution at
age 16 and continues working until she's 30 - that's 14 calendar
years, but she ages anywhere from 28-42 years during that time, so
she'll appear to be anywhere from 44-58. After they leave the
business, assuming they survived until retirement, they age normally
after that (usually). So anywhere from 35-50 isn't too unusual.

(Okay, I made it all up - but it's believable enough imo)

Hyfler/Rosner

May 1, 2008, 4:51:42 PM5/1/08

"Bill Shroyer" <BillS...@Pittsburgh.com> wrote in message

Hilarious. Loved it.

La N

May 1, 2008, 4:56:09 PM5/1/08

"Hyfler/Rosner" <rel...@rcn.com> wrote in message
Indeed. Bravo!!!

- nilita

E/C Annie

May 1, 2008, 5:08:51 PM5/1/08
On May 1, 1:13 pm, "Kris Baker" <kris.ba...@prodigy.net> wrote:

News I heard said she was found hanging in a shed near her mother's
home in Florida.

e/c annie

Poe

May 1, 2008, 4:59:28 PM5/1/08

Yikes. Hanging would be near the last choice for me if I wanted to end
it all.

E/C Annie

May 1, 2008, 5:18:18 PM5/1/08

`D.C. Madam' Apparently Hanged Herself, Police Say (Update1)

By Jeff Bliss

May 1 (Bloomberg) -- Deborah Jeane Palfrey, the ``D.C. Madam'' whose
prostitution service allegedly catered to government officials,
apparently committed suicide by hanging herself, according a statement
from police in Tarpon Springs, Florida.

Palfrey, 52, was staying with her 76-year-old mother, Blanche, who
discovered her today suspended from a nylon rope wrapped around a
metal beam in a storage shed, the statement said. The mother called
911 and her daughter was pronounced dead soon after police and fire
units arrived.

Palfrey was convicted last month of racketeering charges for running
an escort service whose clients allegedly included Senator David
Vitter, a Louisiana Republican, and Randall Tobias, a former deputy
secretary of state. Palfrey's lawyers said the service catered to
clients' fantasies and didn't include sex.

``This is tragic news,'' said her lawyer, Preston Burton, in statement
released through a spokesman, John Pitts. ``My heart goes out to her
mother.''

Tobias resigned last year after saying he used Palfrey's service for
massages, not sex. Vitter remains a senator after confirming he
committed a ``very serious sin'' once he was identified as a client of
the escort service run by Palfrey. Neither was called to testify
during her trial.

The Pinellas County medical examiner's office is reviewing the cause
of death, according to the police statement.

No `Foul Play'

``Foul play does not appear to be involved,'' according to the police
statement.

Blanche Palfrey had ``no indication'' of her daughter's intention to
kill herself, Captain Jeffrey Young of the Tarpon Springs police
department said during a press conference.

Palfrey's mother awoke from a nap and began looking for her daughter,
Young said. When she noticed a bicycle had been moved from the shed,
she entered the structure to investigate and found her daughter, he
said. Tarpon Springs authorities are working with the FBI on the case,
Young said.

A man who answered the phone at Blanche Palfrey's residence declined
to comment.

To contact the reporter on this story: Jeff Bliss in Washington at
jbl...@bloomberg.net
Last Updated: May 1, 2008 16:41 EDT

http://tinyurl.com/5uhwza

Poe

May 1, 2008, 6:07:47 PM5/1/08

Well 55 years, tho she wouldn't have done all of it, seems harsh,
especially for a non-violent crime. I personally would have waited to
see how long I'd really do, and in what sort of incarceration, before
deciding something drastic like suicide. But maybe just the stress of it
all accumulated, and it wasn't *just* the verdict and possible sentence,
that led her to this. Sad, tho - a gross profession for most folks to
consider, but IMO the prostitution part (and management of it) should be
legal. Not the money laundering, tho, but that probably would not have
been necessary for a legit, tax-paying enterprise.

Sara Brown

May 1, 2008, 7:17:28 PM5/1/08
On May 1, 2:26 pm, Magnus <robertchamp2...@yahoo.com> wrote:> I wonder

what the average life expectancy is for prostitutes.

I guess it would depend on the variety of "prostitute"....If you are
talking junkie street walkers I`m sure it`s low..But high class "call
girls" I`m sure live long than most women as all the ones I`ve known
exercise regularly and eat well

dejablues

May 1, 2008, 7:43:53 PM5/1/08

"A" <aa...@att.net> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> "Kris Baker" <kris....@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> I heard she was convicted on April 15 (Tax Day).
> Anyway, she probably killed herself with at least two shots to the
> back of her head.

Kill yourself with two shots to the back of your head. Say that to yourself
again. Once more , for good measure.
OK?
Anyway, she hung herself with nylon rope.

robbielynn

May 1, 2008, 7:55:09 PM5/1/08
On May 1, 7:43 pm, "dejablues" <dejabl...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "A" <a...@att.net> wrote in message

> > x-no-archive: yes
>
> > "Kris Baker" <kris.ba...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

> >> MSNBC Breaking News:
>
> >> Deborah Palfrey, the 52-year-old DC Madame,
> >> has been found dead in her apartment.   She had
> >> been convicted this week of all charges brought
> >> against her.
>
> >        I heard she was convicted on April 15 (Tax Day).
> >       Anyway, she probably killed herself with at least two shots to the
> > back of her head.
>
> Kill yourself with two shots to the back of your head. Say that to yourself
> again. Once more , for good measure.
> OK?
> Anyway, she hung herself with nylon rope.

He was joking that she was killed by someone else.

Message has been deleted

Brian

May 1, 2008, 8:58:03 PM5/1/08
On Thu, 01 May 2008 19:18:31 GMT, "Matthew Kruk"
<Matthe...@telus.net> wrote:

>"On April 15, Palfrey was convicted of money laundering, using the mail for
>illegal purposes and racketeering. Palfrey faced a maximum of 55 years in prison
>and was free pending her sentencing July 24."

Nobody gets the maximum for a crime like that.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

TimeTraveller

May 2, 2008, 1:08:25 AM5/2/08
>>> I assume it's a hell of a lot safer to be a prostitute in Nevada than it is in any other state

It's legal in Brazil... but still not safe, as the recent brouhahha
over the soccer star Renaldo makes clear.

I've heard that the transvestite prostitutes threaten the female
prostitutes and have pretty much run them out of business...so I guess
the guys must know what they're really getting...

Bob Feigel

May 2, 2008, 1:12:47 AM5/2/08
[Default] On Thu, 1 May 2008 22:08:25 -0700 (PDT), TimeTraveller
<Gastropo...@yahoo.com> magnanimously proffered:

>It's legal in Brazil... but still not safe, as the recent brouhahha
>over the soccer star Renaldo makes clear.

Also legal in New Zealand. They even have a union.

--

"It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens." - Woody Allen

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>

Message has been deleted

jerry warner

May 2, 2008, 1:42:23 AM5/2/08

Bill Shroyer wrote:

and the good news is the average blue collar worker in America comes out
about the same! Now what does that
say for America's Yuppie university driven crime economy! ?
Czarist Russia did almost the same in adjusted terms.

jerry warner

May 2, 2008, 1:43:18 AM5/2/08

Pneuma wrote:

> On Thu, 1 May 2008 11:13:13 -0600, "Kris Baker" <kris....@prodigy.net>
> wrote:
>
> >MSNBC Breaking News:
> >Deborah Palfrey, the 52-year-old DC Madame,
> >has been found dead in her apartment. She had
> >been convicted this week of all charges brought
> >against her.
>

> How convenient!

How dead! Or is dead not dead in your philomony?

Frank Rizzo

May 2, 2008, 1:54:55 AM5/2/08
On May 1, 5:51 pm, Pneuma <frank.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 1 May 2008 11:13:13 -0600, "Kris Baker" <kris.ba...@prodigy.net>

> wrote:
>
> >MSNBC Breaking News:
> >Deborah Palfrey, the 52-year-old DC Madame,
> >has been found dead in her apartment. She had
> >been convicted this week of all charges brought
> >against her.
>
> How convenient!

Not buying the suicide for a minute..

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Kitty

May 2, 2008, 5:33:10 AM5/2/08

"Kris Baker" <kris....@prodigy.net> wrote in message

> MSNBC Breaking News:
> Deborah Palfrey, the 52-year-old DC Madame,
> has been found dead in her apartment. She had
> been convicted this week of all charges brought
> against her.

Probably "snuffed" due to her knowledge of high profile "clients".

Kitty

Poe

May 2, 2008, 7:39:17 AM5/2/08
A wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> "robbielynn" <robbiel...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Yes, except I wasn't joking.
> Deborah herself predicted she would be 'suicided' (i.e.,
> murdered) 10 months ago.

Maybe she was just laying the groundwork for posthumous rumors.

Poe

May 2, 2008, 7:40:50 AM5/2/08
Terry del Fuego wrote:

> On Thu, 01 May 2008 18:07:47 -0400, Poe <hau...@terrible-thought.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Sad, tho - a gross profession for most folks to
>> consider, but IMO the prostitution part (and management of it) should be
>> legal. Not the money laundering, tho, but that probably would not have
>> been necessary for a legit, tax-paying enterprise.
>
> Yep. My middle-class American protestant-by-default upbringing makes
> me assume that few people intentionally choose prostitution as a
> career, but I sure wish it were legal for those who wind up in it for
> whatever reason. I don't see any reason why prostitutes shouldn't
> have the same job-related protections the rest of us theoretically
> enjoy. I assume it's a hell of a lot safer to be a prostitute in
> Nevada than it is in any other state.

And it could be taxed.

Message has been deleted

Jimmy Mac

May 2, 2008, 5:18:59 PM5/2/08

"Bob Feigel" <b...@surfwriter.net.not> wrote in message

> [Default] On Thu, 1 May 2008 22:08:25 -0700 (PDT), TimeTraveller
> <Gastropo...@yahoo.com> magnanimously proffered:

>>It's legal in Brazil... but still not safe, as the recent brouhahha
>>over the soccer star Renaldo makes clear.
>>

> Also legal in New Zealand. They even have a union.
>

> --

A unionized prostitute. Man does that ever sound unexciting.

Got a union rep instead of a pimp. That's fine I suppose. Well regulated
and all that.

Magnus

May 2, 2008, 5:45:04 PM5/2/08
On May 2, 7:40 am, Poe <haun...@terrible-thought.com> wrote:
> Terry del Fuego wrote:
> > On Thu, 01 May 2008 18:07:47 -0400, Poe <haun...@terrible-thought.com>

Then keep it illegal. Taxes are the ruination of so many things.

magnus

Brian

May 2, 2008, 6:29:28 PM5/2/08
On Thu, 1 May 2008 21:00:59 -0500, "A" <aa...@att.net> wrote:

> Yes, except I wasn't joking.
> Deborah herself predicted she would be 'suicided' (i.e.,
>murdered) 10 months ago.

"Still, Deborah Palfrey confided that she hated the idea of living
behind bars, said Dan E. Moldea, a Washington writer who befriended
Palfrey while considering writing a book about her. He recalled a
conversation over dinner last year when the subject of prison came up.

"She said, 'I am not going back to prison. I will commit suicide
first,' " Moldea recalled."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/orl-madam0208may02,0,5557053.story

Bob Feigel

May 2, 2008, 6:59:23 PM5/2/08
[Default] On Fri, 2 May 2008 16:18:59 -0500, "Jimmy Mac"
<j...@barkingdog.com> magnanimously proffered:

Although one wonders how they collect the union dues.

Jimmy Mac

May 2, 2008, 9:27:29 PM5/2/08

> [Default] On Fri, 2 May 2008 16:18:59 -0500, "Jimmy Mac"
> <j...@barkingdog.com> magnanimously proffered:
>

>>"Bob Feigel" <b...@surfwriter.net.not> wrote in message
>>> [Default] On Thu, 1 May 2008 22:08:25 -0700 (PDT), TimeTraveller
>>> <Gastropo...@yahoo.com> magnanimously proffered:

>>> Also legal in New Zealand. They even have a union.
>>>

>>> --
>>
>>A unionized prostitute. Man does that ever sound unexciting.
>>
>>Got a union rep instead of a pimp. That's fine I suppose. Well regulated
>>and all that.
>
> Although one wonders how they collect the union dues.
>

> --
I know. I know. The union guys get their dues the same way the pimps get
theirs.

Bill Shroyer

May 3, 2008, 5:31:41 AM5/3/08

I think you'd be hard-pressed to show how prostitution in the U.S.
could possibly be made -worse- than it is, especially for the
prostitutes, en masse. That a few isolated pockets of ladies manage to
have decent working conditions (all things considered) in no way,
shape or form makes it an even remotely desirable profession for most
who work in it.

Twittering One

May 3, 2008, 11:11:36 AM5/3/08
On May 1, 7:43 pm, "dejablues" <dejabl...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "A" <a...@att.net> wrote in message

> > x-no-archive: yes
>
> > "Kris Baker" <kris.ba...@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> >> MSNBC Breaking News:
>
> >> Deborah Palfrey, the 52-year-old DC Madame,
> >> has been found dead in her apartment.   She had
> >> been convicted this week of all charges brought
> >> against her.
>
> >        I heard she was convicted on April 15 (Tax Day).
> >       Anyway, she probably killed herself with at least two shots to the
> > back of her head.
>
> Kill yourself with two shots to the back of your head. Say that to yourself
> again. Once more , for good measure.
> OK?
> Anyway, she hung herself with nylon rope.

"She hung herself with nylon rope;
That jail must be bereft of hope."
~ White Chalk

Kitty

May 3, 2008, 2:25:12 PM5/3/08

"Bill Shroyer" <BillS...@Pittsburgh.com> wrote in message

Its a CHOICE they make...........

Kitty

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Poe

May 3, 2008, 3:47:32 PM5/3/08
Terry del Fuego wrote:

> On Sat, 3 May 2008 14:25:12 -0400, "Kitty" <cowg...@bellsouth.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Its a CHOICE they make...........
>
> I choose to do what I do for a living. I'm glad it's not
> prostitution, however morally indistinguishable most jobs are from it.
> That doesn't mean that my employer or its clients get to treat me in
> whatever manner amuses them at the time.
>
> People (certainly not just women) become prostitutes for a range of
> reasons, not least of which is that there will always be a customer
> base. The fact that it's one of many "career choices" that I in my
> well-fed middle-class infinite wisdom find stupid or incomprehensible
> doesn't mean that I find it morally acceptable to allow them to be
> abused. If it does, a whole lot of people in "legitimate" jobs had
> better watch their backs.

This is how I feel, and that legalizing it would provide an overall
safer environment in which to provide services. If a person wishes to do
it for whatever reason, I have no beef, provided they are of legal age
to do so. And as stated earlier, it could be taxed, employees could take
advantage of of employment benefits, etc. It is just because holy
rollers find it disgusting and reprehensible that it is still illegal
most places in the US, IMO.

Bill Schenley

May 3, 2008, 5:26:53 PM5/3/08
> It is just because holy rollers find it disgusting and reprehensible ...

Which, of course, makes them some of prostitution's best customers ...

Poe

May 3, 2008, 5:28:22 PM5/3/08
Bill Schenley wrote:
>> It is just because holy rollers find it disgusting and reprehensible ...
>
> Which, of course, makes them some of prostitution's best customers ...

Indeed, because as kinks would have it, the worst of deeds are the best
and most satisfying of deeds.