Spook Jacobs, 85; Played 2nd Base for Phila./KC Athletics, Pittsburgh Pirates

Bill Schenley

Feb 22, 2011, 4:12:27 PM2/22/11
Forrest V. Jacobs

1954 Topps (#129) baseball card:
http://tinyurl.com/639h98g

FROM: Delmarvaobits.com ~
(Paid obit)

Forrest Vandergrift "Spook" Jacobs of Milford,
passed away Friday, February 18, 2011 at the
Delaware Hospice Center in Milford. He was 85.

Mr. Jacobs was born on November 4, 1925 in
Cheswold, son of the late Edwin F. and Norma
C. (Willey) Jacobs.

He graduated from Salem High School, Salem,
New Jersey in 1943. Immediately after graduation,
he enlisted in the United States Army where he
served as a Sergeant during World War II.

Upon return from his tour of duty, Mr. Jacobs
played professional baseball for 17 seasons,
playing for the Philadelphia Athletics, the Kansas
City Athletics, the Pittsburgh Pirates and several
minor league clubs in Cuba and Panama. He was
a speedy second baseman, known for his
aggressive style on the base paths and unique
hitting style, which earned him the nickname
"Spook".

On opening day 1954, Spook had four base hits
in his first four major league at bats. He was
a superb contact hitter, striking out only 4%
of his total plate appearances.

He is a member of seven Sports Hall of Fames -
Delaware Baseball, Columbus Ohio, Cuban
Baseball, Eastern Shore, Delaware, South Jersey
and Salem County (NJ).

After his baseball career ended, Spook and his
wife Bobbie settled in Milford where they owned
and operated the Milford Bus Center then
Mr. Donut/Donut Connection over a span of 42
years before retiring.

One of his proudest achievements was when his
personal stamp collection was featured in 2008
at the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown,
New York.

Mr. Jacobs was a member of the Milford Lions
Club, a long time member of the former Milford
Kiwanis Club, a member of the Blue Hen VFW
Post #6483 in Milford, the Milford Rotary Club,
where he organized the annual Sports Banquet
for 11 years, the American Legion Post #3
in Milford, and the Philadelphia Athletics
Historical Society.

Spook also coached baseball at Del Tech
and the Milford Little League.

He was a devoted member of the Avenue
United Methodist Church in Milford.

In addition to his parents, he was preceded in
death by his wife, Bobbie Jacobs in 2010,
a son Tommy Jacobs, a granddaughter,
Dominique Nicole Jacobs and a brother,
Edwin Jacobs.

He is survived by a son, Robert Forrest Jacobs;
a granddaughter, Ashley Monique Jacobs of
El Paso, TX; a great grandson, Thomas
Vincent Jacobs Wesley of El Paso;
a sister-in-law, Shirley Orren of Abilene,
TX and several cousins, nephews and nieces.

Friends may call from 6-8 p.m. on Friday,
February 25, 2011 at the Avenue United
Methodist Church, 20 N. Church St, Milford.

Services will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday
at the church.

Burial will follow in the Milford Community
Cemetery on Route 113.

In lieu of flowers, the family has requested
memorial contributions to Avenue United
Methodist Church, 20 N. Church St, Milford,
DE, 19963 or to Delaware Hospice Center,
100 Patriots Way, Milford, DE, 19963.
---
MLB Stats:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jacobsp01.shtml

Thanks to Rod Nelson from SABR for this obit.

Bill Schenley

Feb 23, 2011, 1:45:51 PM2/23/11
State baseball legend 'Spook' Jacobs dies

Second baseman played for Athletics, Pirates

Photo: http://www.delawarebaseball.com/jaco-1.jpg

FROM: The (Delaware) News Journal ~
By Mike Finney

Forrest "Spook" Jacobs made quite a name for himself by playing
professional baseball for 17 seasons.

But perhaps it was his unique nickname that generated the most
intrigue from fans. Jacobs was dubbed "Spook" for his uncanny ability
to dump baseballs just over the heads of opposing infielders.

Jacobs, who was inducted into the Delaware Sports Hall of Fame in
1991, died at the Delaware Hospice Center in Milford last Friday at
the age of 85. He had been the oldest living major league player from
Delaware.

Jacobs played for the Philadelphia and Kansas City Athletics, the

Pittsburgh Pirates and several minor league clubs in Cuba and Panama

in the 1950s and '60s.

Mike Lambert, who wrote "Eastern Shore League," was an acquaintance of
Jacobs for the past 20 years.

"Spook Jacobs was a great person," said Lambert, of Seaford. "He was
an honorable individual and a very good friend. My wife and I met
Spook more than 20 years ago. I'm a baseball aficionado, so getting
the chance to get to know Spook meant a lot to me."

Lambert laughed as he recalled how he managed to get Jacobs in his
book despite the fact that he never played in the Eastern Shore
League.

"I had an old wire photo of Spook sliding into home plate for the
Philadelphia Athletics, and the umpire that called him safe at home
was an ex-Eastern Shore League umpire," Lambert said. "I just had to
get him in there."

Jacobs began his major league career on April 13, 1954, and had hits
in his first four at-bats. He made his major league debut at the age
of 28, which prompted him to quip, "I was the only rookie who ever
drew Social Security."

Jon Rafal, director of the Delaware Sports Hall of Fame, said Jacobs'
debut was remarkable.

"He was the first player to have four hits in his first four major
league at-bats on opening day," Rafal said. "The funny thing is that
[Seaford native] Delino DeShields also did it years later.

"So here you have two little infielders from about 18 miles apart in
the state of Delaware accomplishing the same feat. It's almost
unbelievable."

Jacobs, a second baseman, was 5-foot-9 and his playing weight was 155
pounds. He batted .247 with a .971 fielding percentage in his three-
year stint in the majors. He also stole 22 bases, 17 in 1954.

"I remember when Spook Jacobs was playing ... that takes me way back,"
said Ben Sirman, longtime athletic director and coach at Seaford High.
"He was playing in the 1950s and I was listening on the radio.

"Spook told me he played against Ted Williams in about 21 games in his
career, and he was a part of the Williams [infield] shift. He said
that in the 21 games he played against him that no balls came to him
-- some whizzed past, but he never got a chance to field one."

Jacobs got into a fight after being beaned by future Hall of Fame
manager Tommy Lasorda in a Pacific Coast League game. After tangling
with Lasorda, he turned and went after second baseman Sparky Anderson.

Originally a Brooklyn Dodgers farmhand, Jacobs spent 14 years in the
minor leagues, finishing with a career .300 batting average but only
nine home runs.

Legendary manager Casey Stengel once said of Jacobs, "He's always been
in our hair."

Before baseball, Jacobs served as a sergeant during World War II.
After baseball, he and his wife, Bobbie, owned and operated the
Milford Bus Center and then the Mr. Donut/Donut Connection for 42
years before retiring.
---
Photo: http://tinyurl.com/4w9wyg6