Bart Burns, 89, 'Mr. Roberts' actor dies

wazzzy

Jul 17, 2007, 9:38:52 PM7/17/07
http://www.contracostatimes.com/bayandstate/ci_6398657

Bart Burns, an actor who appeared on Broadway, in movies and TV shows
for five decades, has died. He was 89.
Burns died of natural causes on Wednesday at his home in the West
Hills area, his son Brendan Burns said.

Burns made several Broadway appearances, including appearing with
Henry Fonda in a production of "Mr. Roberts."

On television, he played Pat Chambers on the "Mike Hammer" series in
the 1950s and made hundreds of guest appearances on shows ranging from
"Gunsmoke" to "The Rockford Files."

His movie roles included Ernest Farmer in the 1982 Jessica Lange
feature "Frances." He had small roles in many other films, including
"Seven Days in May," "Legal Eagles" and "Tora, Tora, Tora."

Burns wrote the four-part "Kilroy Was Here" feature for the 1950s TV
show "Disneyland."

Burns was born George Joseph Burns in New York City. To avoid
confusion with comic George Burns, he took the name Bart when he began
his acting career in 1947.

During World War II, Burns was a Marine captain in the Pacific, where
he was wounded twice. He won a Silver Star for leading a tank through
a minefield to destroy a Japanese pillbox on Iwo Jima.

In addition to his son, Burns is survived by his wife, Fern; sons
Timothy and Sean; daughter Siobhan Burns Walden, and a granddaughter.

Brad Ferguson

Jul 17, 2007, 11:31:05 PM7/17/07
In article <1184722732.4...@x35g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
wazzzy <enter...@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.contracostatimes.com/bayandstate/ci_6398657
>
> Bart Burns, an actor who appeared on Broadway, in movies and TV shows
> for five decades, has died. He was 89.
> Burns died of natural causes on Wednesday at his home in the West
> Hills area, his son Brendan Burns said.
>
> Burns made several Broadway appearances, including appearing with
> Henry Fonda in a production of "Mr. Roberts."
>
> On television, he played Pat Chambers on the "Mike Hammer" series in
> the 1950s

That would be the Darren McGavin version.

> and made hundreds of guest appearances on shows ranging from
> "Gunsmoke" to "The Rockford Files."
>
> His movie roles included Ernest Farmer in the 1982 Jessica Lange
> feature "Frances." He had small roles in many other films, including
> "Seven Days in May," "Legal Eagles" and "Tora, Tora, Tora."
>
> Burns wrote the four-part "Kilroy Was Here" feature for the 1950s TV
> show "Disneyland."

It was "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color," which was the
successor series to "Disneyland" and which premiered on 24 September
1961. (The error here might be due to the IMDb lumping the two series
together.) The "Kilroy" shows were especially good. Kilroy was a
Marine who'd won the Medal of Honor for service in Vietnam and had just
been discharged from the Marines. The four episodes ran from 14 March
to 4 April 1965. Unfortunately, even sequel-crazed Disney never
revisited Kilroy.

> Burns was born George Joseph Burns in New York City. To avoid
> confusion with comic George Burns, he took the name Bart when he began
> his acting career in 1947.

FWIW George Burns named himself after the Burns Bros. coal company on
the east side of Manhattan, in what was then called the Gas House
District. The Burns Bros. storage facility lasted into the 1960s,
until a day when I and several hundred neighborhood residents watched
it burn down spectacularly. The coal was kept in a squat, silo-like
structure about eight stories high. The silo burned fiercely from the
top down, and sent smoke pouring across the river into Brooklyn. That
finished the Burns Bros.

> During World War II, Burns was a Marine captain in the Pacific, where
> he was wounded twice. He won a Silver Star for leading a tank through
> a minefield to destroy a Japanese pillbox on Iwo Jima.

Ah. That explains *that*.

> In addition to his son, Burns is survived by his wife, Fern; sons
> Timothy and Sean; daughter Siobhan Burns Walden, and a granddaughter.

Pic of Bart Burns in the stage production of "Twelve Angry Men" and,
yes, I think we visited this one recently for Larkin Ford:

<http://www.playbill.com/images/photos/buckley2_1098476717.jpg>
(Bart Burns is the serious-looking man sitting right in front of Robert
Cummings -- who for you younger folks is the guy standing in the back
with his jacket open.)

Bob Feigel

Jul 18, 2007, 5:18:44 AM7/18/07
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 23:31:05 -0400, Brad Ferguson
<thir...@frXOXed.net> magnanimously proffered:

>Pic of Bart Burns in the stage production of "Twelve Angry Men" and,
>yes, I think we visited this one recently for Larkin Ford:
>
><http://www.playbill.com/images/photos/buckley2_1098476717.jpg>
>(Bart Burns is the serious-looking man sitting right in front of Robert
>Cummings -- who for you younger folks is the guy standing in the back
>with his jacket open.)

Thanks for that. The names listed (from left to right) didn't seem to
be in order, which was confusing. b

--

"It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens." - Woody Allen

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>