Re: (OT) Oscar "the world-famous death-sensing cat" [Providence, RI], having a movie made about him

Message has been deleted

Tommy Joe

Apr 22, 2012, 11:34:29 PM4/22/12
On Apr 22, 9:33 pm, "News" <m...@sb.net> wrote:

> "Oscar the cat prowls the wards of a unit for terminally ill patients."

I have heard of these cats before. Maybe they are lured
instinctively to things about to die because ancient urges tell them
food is on the way. Cats are small compared to lions or other large
cats that hunt living prey. They can't take down a human, not even a
sick hospitalized one. So they sit by the dying shell of the patient
waiting for them to die so they can eat their flesh. Is that
possible? Of course they will not be allowed by the staff to eat the
dead person, but perhaps instinctively that is the reason they perch
near those about to go. The time will come when the death-sensing cat
will sense it's own demise. Then what will it do? Lie down next to
an image of itself in the mirror?

TJ
Message has been deleted

Constant Irritant

Apr 23, 2012, 11:40:56 AM4/23/12
I missed the "OT" in the subject line, so I had this interesting picture of Oscar's last moments: he awakes briefly in his cat bed to see a crowd of elderly people standing around him, leaning in expectantly. He thinks, "What the -- oh, crap!" and breathes his last.

--
CI

J.D. Baldwin

Apr 23, 2012, 2:51:38 PM4/23/12

In the previous article, News <m...@sb.net> wrote:
> Oscar the famous cat, who is able to predict the impending death of
> terminally ill patients in the nursing center where he lives, [...]

Am I the only one who thinks that, just maybe, this cat is *killing*
the people whose death he "predicts"?
\ / bal...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer

R H Draney

Apr 23, 2012, 4:52:31 PM4/23/12
J.D. Baldwin filted:

>In the previous article, News <m...@sb.net> wrote:
>> Oscar the famous cat, who is able to predict the impending death of
>> terminally ill patients in the nursing center where he lives, [...]
>
>Am I the only one who thinks that, just maybe, this cat is *killing*
>the people whose death he "predicts"?

I liked David Carson's theory best:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.obituaries/msg/8397d5394195975f

....r

--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.

danny burstein

Apr 23, 2012, 5:37:24 PM4/23/12
In <jn48bq$fjd$1...@reader1.panix.com> INVALID...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin) writes:

>In the previous article, News <m...@sb.net> wrote:
>> Oscar the famous cat, who is able to predict the impending death of
>> terminally ill patients in the nursing center where he lives, [...]

>Am I the only one who thinks that, just maybe, this cat is *killing*
>the people whose death he "predicts"?

Am I the only one who saw the "House" episode where the
kind doctor debunked this whole concept?

dan...@panix.com

R H Draney

Apr 23, 2012, 10:31:47 PM4/23/12
danny burstein filted:

>In <jn48bq$fjd$1...@reader1.panix.com> INVALID...@example.com.invalid (J.D.
>Baldwin) writes:
>
>>In the previous article, News <m...@sb.net> wrote:
>>> Oscar the famous cat, who is able to predict the impending death of
>>> terminally ill patients in the nursing center where he lives, [...]
>
>>Am I the only one who thinks that, just maybe, this cat is *killing*
>>the people whose death he "predicts"?
>
>Am I the only one who saw the "House" episode where the
>kind doctor debunked this whole concept?

I didn't see it...in fact, I've never watched any episode of "House"...but are
you sure the "kind" doctor didn't just debunk a particular fictionalized version
of the ability?...

Sometimes *people* can sense when someone is about to die...take for instance
"Morris the Cat" (not an actual cat, as far as I'm aware) with 19 hits out of 40
names in the 2011 deadpool...consider what a batting average like that would
mean in professional baseball....r

Tommy Joe

Apr 24, 2012, 12:17:41 AM4/24/12
On Apr 23, 11:40 am, Constant Irritant <jin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I missed the "OT" in the subject line, so I had this interesting picture of Oscar's last moments: he awakes briefly in his cat bed to see a crowd of elderly people standing around him, leaning in expectantly. He thinks, "What the -- oh, crap!" and breathes his last.

Yes, very good - the minute it becomes a "job" for Oscar the
pressure is too great and he can't perform. It's like when they say
if you have to work you should do what you love. I get that. But for
some, like me and maybe Oscar too - even if I love doing something,
the minute someone puts a deadline on it, it becomes a job. Oscar
The Game Show Cat.

TJ

Tommy Joe

Apr 24, 2012, 12:15:12 AM4/24/12
On Apr 23, 2:33 am, "News" <m...@sb.net> wrote:

>         Doubtful, since there aren't mass reports of almost every cat doing
> something like that!

>         Not in the slightest! [I hope!]

>         Don't be silly!
>         They go off in the woods to die if they don't have a home.

Yeah yeah, I know, I've lived with plenty of cats, I know what
they do. As for the death sensing cat, not saying it can't be true,
only that it's probably greatly exaggerated or that it' not as amazing
as it sounds. The cat sensing people about to die in a rest home has
pretty good odds of being right no matter who he sits by. It's like
flipping a coin. Or even more so like a psychic who predicts 100
things but never talks about the 99 they got wrong, only the one they
got right.

TJ

Tommy Joe

Apr 24, 2012, 12:22:16 AM4/24/12
On Apr 23, 10:31 pm, R H Draney <dadoc...@spamcop.net> wrote:

> Sometimes *people* can sense when someone is about to die...take for instance
> "Morris the Cat" (not an actual cat, as far as I'm aware) with 19 hits out of 40
> names in the 2011 deadpool...consider what a batting average like that would
> mean in professional baseball....r

I win a lot in the football pool I get in every year. I have my
cat make the picks for me. I wind the cat in tape, like a mummy, just
the head sticking out - then tie it to a post on a roulette wheel with
the names of all 32 pro football teams on it. Then I spin the cat and
wherever it's head lands, that's the team I pick. Sometimes he'll
land on a certain team and I'm ready to write it down as my pick and
he'll meow as if to say no, that's not a good pick - so I'll spin him
again until we get it right. He knows what he's doing. I'm counting
on him to do it again this year. If he dies I'm out of luck. I might
have to start betting more money while he's still alive.

TJ