<Archive Obituary> Harry Nilsson (January 15th 1994)

Bill Schenley

Jan 15, 2006, 1:13:59 AM1/15/06
Harry Nilsson, Singer, Dies At 52

Photo:
http://www.photofeatures.com/harrynilsson/images/prevs/nilss01.jpg

FROM: The New York Times (January 16th 1994) ~
By Richard D. Lyons

Harry Nilsson, a popular singer and composer in the 1960's and 1970's
who won two Grammy awards for his literate, almost intimate songs,
died yesterday at his home in Agoura Hills, Calif. He was 52.

The cause was heart disease, said his agent, David Spero, who added
that Mr. Nilsson suffered a heart attack a year ago and had only
recently begun to record again, finishing work on an album last
Wednesday.

Mr. Nilsson won popularity and critical acclaim for a style that was
labeled "salon rock," delivered in a voice that was gruff and at times
even hoarse.

His performance was strikingly different from the acid rock that was
much in favor during the period, and Mr. Nilsson, a recluse who
shunned the limelight and never performed in concert, provided a stark
contrast to most rock singers of his era.

Nicknamed the White Rabbit because of his pale blond hair and light
complexion, Mr. Nilsson won a Grammy in 1969 for his performance of
"Everybody's Talkin'," a song by Fred Neil on the sound track of the
movie "Midnight Cowboy."

Mr. Nilsson, who was born Harry E. Nelson 3d in Brooklyn, adopted the
Swedish spelling of his name after he moved to California and began
his performing career. While working in a bank, he wrote commercial
jingles and songs for the rock producer Phil Spector. In 1967 Mr.
Nilsson signed with RCA Records. His first hit was "Cuddly Toy,"
recorded by The Monkees.

He won a second Grammy in 1972 for best male vocal with the album
"Without You." Several other albums popular in the 1970's were
"Nilsson Schmilsson" and "A Little Touch of Schmilsson in the Night."
He also won critical acclaim for the 1970 album "The Point."

Mr. Nilsson is survived by his wife, Oona, and six children.
---
Photo: http://static.hugi.is/pictures/gullmyndir/harry_nilsson.jpg

deb...@comcast.net

Jan 15, 2006, 1:16:03 AM1/15/06
Nilsson, Schmilson! :)

Glitter Ninja

Jan 16, 2006, 5:49:17 AM1/16/06
"Bill Schenley" <stra...@ma.rr.com> writes:

>Harry Nilsson, a popular singer and composer in the 1960's and 1970's
>who won two Grammy awards for his literate, almost intimate songs,
>died yesterday at his home in Agoura Hills, Calif. He was 52.

Wow, I had no idea he was so young. Actually, I should have known it,
since Nilsson's death is the first one I remember reading on alt.obits.
It was easier at the time to search the newsgroup spool for info than
search the 'net. That means I've been reading this group 12+ years.
It's safe to say that I need a hobby.

Stacia

Large Marge

Jan 27, 2006, 10:55:48 AM1/27/06
deb...@comcast.net wrote:
> Nilsson, Schmilson! :)

You're breaking my Heart, You're tearing Me apart,
So, f--- you!
Message has been deleted

aka Bob

Jan 27, 2006, 8:34:23 PM1/27/06
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:55:48 GMT, Large Marge <msm...@home.com>
magnanimously proffered:

Always nice to see such an intellegent contribution from a newcomer

"It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens." - Woody Allen

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>

Large Marge

Jan 28, 2006, 11:54:47 AM1/28/06
aka Bob wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:55:48 GMT, Large Marge <msm...@home.com>
> magnanimously proffered:
>

>>deb...@comcast.net wrote:
>>
>>>Nilsson, Schmilson! :)
>>>

>>You're breaking my Heart, You're tearing Me apart,
>>So, f--- you!
>

> Always nice to see such an intellegent contribution from a newcomer
I'm just quoting one of his song lyrics.

aka Bob

Jan 28, 2006, 5:21:15 PM1/28/06
On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 16:54:47 GMT, Large Marge <msm...@home.com>
magnanimously proffered:

>aka Bob wrote:
>> On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:55:48 GMT, Large Marge <msm...@home.com>
>> magnanimously proffered:

>>>You're breaking my Heart, You're tearing Me apart,
>>>So, f--- you!
>>

>> Always nice to see such an intellegent contribution from a newcomer
>I'm just quoting one of his song lyrics.

Oh!!! Sorry ... shot from the lip.