Kim Manners - director/producer, X-Files, Supernatural

Jim Beaver

Jan 26, 2009, 3:11:29 PM1/26/09
It is with extraordinarily heavy heart that I report the death last night,
Jan. 25, of my friend Kim Manners. I first met Kim when he directed me in
an episode of The X-Files, for which he was a major figure in the appeal of
that show, its look, style, and movement. I thought, in that few days, that
I had found one of the great directors I'd ever worked with, and a mensch of
the first order. Little did I know.

Several years later, I ended up with a recurring role on Supernatural, where
Kim was both an executive producer and a principal director. I have never
had such fun working with a director, and Kim became a dear friend. He was
the willing butt of the enormous humor on that set, most of it from the two
leads, Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki, who delighted in tormenting him,
and he was as good at giving it as taking it. He was an AMAZING director,
who knew everything I can imagine a director might need or want to know
about directing television. And he was one of the very best people, one of
the very best friends, a person might ever want to have. His illness since
the beginning of this, Supernatural's fourth season, has cast a pall over
the show for months now, and every time I have appeared on the show this
season, someone has broken down in tears in discussing Kim's health or how
much we missed him.

I will go to my grave regretting the very real opportunities I missed in
connecting with him these last few months. Take a lesson from one who let a
dear friend down badly. My only excuse is that I, like all who knew him,
never believed anything could take him down. I loved him dearly, and I hope
he knows that.

"All right, now, KICK IT IN THE ASS! ACTION!!"

Rest in peace, chum.

Jim Beaver

David Carson

Jan 26, 2009, 3:18:26 PM1/26/09
On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 12:11:29 -0800, "Jim Beaver"
<jumb...@prodigy.spam> wrote:

>It is with extraordinarily heavy heart that I report the death last night,
>Jan. 25, of my friend Kim Manners. I first met Kim when he directed me in
>an episode of The X-Files, for which he was a major figure in the appeal of
>that show, its look, style, and movement. I thought, in that few days, that
>I had found one of the great directors I'd ever worked with, and a mensch of
>the first order. Little did I know.

I recognized his name and knew who he was immediately. He also
directed an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, "When The Bough
Breaks". I never got into the X-Files, but I enjoy "Supernatural".

David Carson
--
Why do you seek the living among the dead? -- Luke 24:5
Who's Alive and Who's Dead

Garondo Marondo

Jan 26, 2009, 4:23:48 PM1/26/09

First off I'm sorry you've lost a friend and colleague, Jim, and
secondly I'm very sad to read this news, I've always enjoyed his work
and the shows he's brought us.

Ted

Jan 26, 2009, 4:47:24 PM1/26/09
Let me add my sympathies as well, Mr. B. I was a huge fan of X-Files
and always enjoyed
the episodes he directed.

Also, concentrate on the times you DID have with your friend. Life is
precious and we
all need to remind ourselves to stop and try to maintain whatever
connections we have.

Kris Baker

Jan 26, 2009, 5:01:50 PM1/26/09
"Jim Beaver" <jumb...@prodigy.spam> wrote in message

> It is with extraordinarily heavy heart that I report the death last night,
> Jan. 25, of my friend Kim Manners. I first met Kim when he directed me in
> an episode of The X-Files, for which he was a major figure in the appeal
> of that show, its look, style, and movement. I thought, in that few days,
> that I had found one of the great directors I'd ever worked with, and a
> mensch of the first order. Little did I know.

I'm so sorry.

It's been sad here lately, with so many people losing
friends.

Kris
Or should I say "scary"?

MWB

Jan 26, 2009, 5:09:50 PM1/26/09
Sorry to hear about the loss of your FRIEND.

> I will go to my grave regretting the very real opportunities I missed in
> connecting with him these last few months.

I have a bad case of that myself

Mark

Bob Feigel

Jan 26, 2009, 5:41:08 PM1/26/09
[Default] On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 12:11:29 -0800, "Jim Beaver"
<jumb...@prodigy.spam> magnanimously proffered:

>I will go to my grave regretting the very real opportunities I missed in
>connecting with him these last few months. Take a lesson from one who let a
>dear friend down badly. My only excuse is that I, like all who knew him,
>never believed anything could take him down. I loved him dearly, and I hope
>he knows that.

That's a tough one for sure ... and one I know about in spades. But
I'm sure he knew that you loved him and that you'll know that in time.
I'm sorry for your loss.

--

"It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens." - Woody Allen

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>

La N

Jan 26, 2009, 6:23:28 PM1/26/09

"Jim Beaver" <jumb...@prodigy.spam> wrote in message
> > I will go to my grave regretting the very real opportunities I missed
> in connecting with him these last few months. Take a lesson from one who
> let a dear friend down badly. My only excuse is that I, like all who knew
> him, never believed anything could take him down. I loved him dearly, and
> I hope he knows that.

I have no doubt that he knows it. This is sad news for a lot of people. My
condolences to you, Jim, yet another a.o. poster who has lost a dear friend.

- nilita

Rob Cibik

Jan 26, 2009, 6:45:20 PM1/26/09

> I will go to my grave regretting the very real opportunities I missed in
> connecting with him these last few months.  Take a lesson from one who let a
> dear friend down badly.

i am all too aware of missed opportunities in a similar circumstance;
i had no excuse.

please accept my condolences.

rob

Aje RavenStar

Jan 26, 2009, 7:19:49 PM1/26/09

"Jim Beaver" <jumb...@prodigy.spam> wrote in message
> It is with extraordinarily heavy heart that I report the death last night,
> Jan. 25, of my friend Kim Manners. I first met Kim when he directed me in
> an episode of The X-Files, for which he was a major figure in the appeal
> of that show, its look, style, and movement. I thought, in that few days,
> that I had found one of the great directors I'd ever worked with, and a
> mensch of the first order. Little did I know.

<snip>

> I will go to my grave regretting the very real opportunities I missed in
> connecting with him these last few months. Take a lesson from one who let
> a dear friend down badly. My only excuse is that I, like all who knew
> him, never believed anything could take him down. I loved him dearly, and
> I hope he knows that.

He does, and no doubt is still cherishing the connections ya'll did have
time to make.

> "All right, now, KICK IT IN THE ASS! ACTION!!"

And if it were possible to ask him, he'd undoubtly tell you that's a
standing instruction.

JM Morrison

Jan 26, 2009, 7:46:36 PM1/26/09

Well, damn.

Sympathies to you, Jim, and all his friends and family. Even to those
of us who only knew him through his work, he will be dearly missed.
Before I knew anything about the actors or the writers on Supernatural,
I knew that Kim Manners was working on it. Which meant that I had to
see it.

-jmm

Mary O'Neill

Jan 26, 2009, 8:15:10 PM1/26/09
Jim Beaver wrote:
> It is with extraordinarily heavy heart that I report the death last
> night, Jan. 25, of my friend Kim Manners. I first met Kim when he
> directed me in an episode of The X-Files, for which he was a major
> figure in the appeal of that show, its look, style, and movement. I
> thought, in that few days, that I had found one of the great directors
> I'd ever worked with, and a mensch of the first order. Little did I know.

My condolences to you on the loss of a friend.

Mary O'Neill

PyrateJohn

Jan 26, 2009, 8:16:04 PM1/26/09
Hang in there Jim. Your heart is certainly in the right place. If
there is a Heaven then Mr. Manners understands that.

Laivine

Jan 26, 2009, 9:13:07 PM1/26/09
> and the shows he's brought us.- Hide quoted text -

From another fan who followed Kim Manners' extraordinary work from the
X-Files to Supernatural, this is a great loss. Even from this side of
the screen, he seemed like an indelible personality, and someone who
brought joy into the lives of others. He certainly brought it into
mine. My sympathies to his family and everyone involved in the show.

-laivine

jason.cinema

Jan 26, 2009, 9:22:25 PM1/26/09

I too would like to offer my condolences and thoughts to his friends,
family, and colleagues.

As a fan of television, I always knew that whenever I saw Mr. Manners
name on an episode, I would be in for terrific entertainment. His
expert eye and talent contributed immensely to each and every series
he lensed. He embued each with his own signature and indelible mark,
elevating the material that much more. The entertainment world has
lost a great. :( Rest in peace, good sir. Your legacy and memory will
live on forever.

Jason

calli...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2009, 10:55:44 PM1/26/09
Thank you for posting this, Jim. I've been a fan of SPN for four
years and I want to extend my sympathies to you and everyone in the
cast and crew. Kim was such a fantastic creative talent, and his work
on X-Files and Supernatural was top notch. I can't imagine how much
he'll be missed.

On Live Journal a large number of Supernatural fans would like to know
if he has family to receive condolences or, and you know the SPN
fandom, if there's a charity that donations can be made to in his
honor.

God bless, and god rest,

Meredith Milewicz

Kathi

Jan 27, 2009, 12:06:55 AM1/27/09
I'm sorry to learn of the death of your friend, Jim. Don't suffer
regret over the recent past, but savor your memories of the time you
spent with Kim.

As an aside, my 24 year-old nerd is very familiar with Kim's work and
also sends his condolences.

Kathi
.

Chuck

Jan 27, 2009, 8:51:02 AM1/27/09

I was very sorry to hear about Mr. Manners' passing. My condolences to
you, Mr. Beaver, and the rest of Mr. Manners' friends and family.

R.I.P. Kim Manners

sill...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2009, 9:00:43 AM1/27/09
I'm so sorry to hear this. Shocked, too, since I didn't know he was
sick. Strenght to everyone who has to miss him.

stab...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2009, 11:54:19 PM1/29/09
As a fan of Supernatural since the beginning, I can't even begin to
describe how badly I feel to hear that Kim passed. You have the
empathy, sympathy and support of the entire SPN fandom, and a bunch of
us have started donations to the American Lung Association in Kim's
name.

I may have never known him personally, but I could always feel the
passion he put into his work through the episodes he directed and the
hard work he put into both Supernatural and the X-Files. There really
are no words to describe how sorry I am, and I hope that the whole
Supernatural family can support and get each other through this. Your
fans have your back.

Jim Beaver

Jan 30, 2009, 1:41:26 AM1/30/09

<stab...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> As a fan of Supernatural since the beginning, I can't even begin to
> describe how badly I feel to hear that Kim passed. You have the
> empathy, sympathy and support of the entire SPN fandom, and a bunch of
> us have started donations to the American Lung Association in Kim's
> name.

For what it's worth, the Manners family has requested donations to the
American Cancer Society.

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Jim Beaver