Bill Dial? (TV writer/producer)

Rick B.

Jun 6, 2008, 9:57:48 AM6/6/08
A message board poster at radio-info.com has written that Bill Dial, who
wrote the well-remembered "Turkeys Away" episode of WKRP in Cincinnati (and
appeared as engineer Bucky Dornster on that series) has died in retirement in
South Carolina. No online confirmation from any major sources.

His IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0224482/

Jim Beaver

Jun 6, 2008, 12:34:34 PM6/6/08

"Rick B." <deep...@sprynet.com.aq> wrote in message

If true, that's very unhappy news for me. Bill and I worked on the creation
of a series together back in the Eighties, a show, which was entirely his
idea, that he wanted me to help write. It would have been in a sense the
first "reality" show, though Bill's concept was slaughtered, then reanimated
in different form by the guys who put up the money. It was the sort of
thing that would be on A&E or Court TV now, but at the time was being done
for CBS. It was supposed to be true-life stories of bravery on the part of
American cops, sort of the police version of doing true stories about Medal
of Honor winners. It seemed like a really respectful and intelligent
project, one that would honor deeds of extraordinary courage. It ended up
being "Top Cops," a much more sensationalist program honoring not so much
bravery as action, action, action. Bill was heartbroken to be shoved off
the project after a solid two years of filming interviews with tremendously
brave men and women (and promising them their stories would be told well and
truly).

He and I talked about doing other projects together, but it never happened.

I hope this new bit of information is not true.

Jim Beaver

Chris

Jun 6, 2008, 9:27:12 PM6/6/08

"Jim Beaver" <jumb...@prodigy.spam> wrote in message
This is so weird, I am reading this news (hopefully not true) as I sit here
watching a 2 hour WKRP mini marathon including the hilarious episode where
they put together a jingle for Ferryman Funeral Homes. The original WKRP
episodes are classics. It was just unfortunate that the producers of the
first season DVD collection could not get the rights to all the original
music that was used in the episodes. The substitute music added nothing to
my enjoyment of the DVD.

Michael O'Connor

Jun 6, 2008, 9:41:00 PM6/6/08

> This is so weird, I am reading this news (hopefully not true) as I sit here
> watching a 2 hour WKRP mini marathon including the hilarious episode where
> they put together a jingle for Ferryman Funeral Homes. The original WKRP
> episodes are classics. It was just unfortunate that the producers of the
> first season DVD collection could not get the rights to all the original
> music that was used in the episodes. The substitute music added nothing to
> my enjoyment of the DVD.

I agree it just isn't the same without the original music, and the
musical rights issues held up DVD releases for other shows like SCTV.
I have the first season of WKRP on DVD, and am still waiting to see if
they release the rest of the series; I don't know how they would
handle the season two episode about the Who concert tragedy if there
was Who music incorporated in the episode and they had to substitute
it with generic music. It just doesn't make sense that a great series
like WKRP (and this also applies to Hill Street Blues and St.
Elsewhere among others) has trouble getting the entire series released
on DVD, yet you can get all the seasons of The Simple Life on DVD. Go
figure.

Charlene

Jun 6, 2008, 10:19:10 PM6/6/08
On Jun 6, 8:27 pm, "Chris" <nos...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Jim Beaver" <jumble...@prodigy.spam> wrote in message

> > "Rick B." <deepst...@sprynet.com.aq> wrote in message

I was singing that jingle last night. "There's no use to deny it. Some
day, you're going to buy it!"

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Steve

Jun 7, 2008, 2:57:39 AM6/7/08
On Jun 6, 9:34 am, "Jim Beaver" <jumble...@prodigy.spam> wrote:
> "Rick B." <deepst...@sprynet.com.aq> wrote in message

Jim:

Sorry to say, it's true. Bill Dial died of a heart attack at age 66 at
his home in South Carolina. He'd had some health problems of late
(perennial weight problem, congestive heart failure, edema) and it
finally caught up with him. He was a wonderful man whose influence on
my life, personally and professionally, is incalculable. After he
moved to Beaufort, we used to email each other whenever a celebrity
would pass away, confessing varying degrees of sadness at their
passing. Little did I know that Bill would be joining them so soon.

Sorry to confirm the sad news,

Steve Stoliar
Writer/Producer/Actor/Former Secretary to Bill Dial

aad...@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2008, 3:13:09 AM6/7/08
Beaufort Gazette notice?:

William Dial
Published Fri, Jun 6, 2008 12:00 AM
William Allen Dial, 64, of Beaufort died Monday, June 2, 2008, in
Beaufort Memorial Hospital.

Arrangements by Copeland Funeral Service.

http://www.beaufortgazette.com/news/local/obituaries/story/459436.html