Richard Jeni

Scott Brady

Mar 11, 2007, 5:35:30 AM3/11/07
I just received a MySpace bulletin that comedian Richard Jeni has
died. I don't know any details other than that he canceled his gig at
the Chicago Improv at the last minute.

This is the link to Jeni's MySpace page:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=61655554

Scott Brady

Mar 11, 2007, 5:39:35 AM3/11/07
It's reportedly suicide:

http://sheckymagazine.com/

Stacia

Mar 11, 2007, 6:19:30 AM3/11/07
"Scott Brady" <sbra...@hotmail.com> writes:

>I just received a MySpace bulletin that comedian Richard Jeni has
>died. I don't know any details other than that he canceled his gig at
>the Chicago Improv at the last minute.

Here's another article, also saying it was suicide.

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_21268468.shtmlhttp://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_21268468.shtml

Goddammit, Jeni.

Stacia

Hoodini

Mar 11, 2007, 6:22:07 AM3/11/07
Richard Jeni Dead: Comedian Found Shot, Self Inflicted

By Jack Ryan
Mar 11, 2007
http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_21268468.shtml

Richard Jeni is dead. According to police, Jeni was found dead from a
self-inflicted gunshot wound on March 10, 2007. His website
http://www.richardjeni.com/ has gone dark and the story is still
developing. More information will be made available when we hear it.

Richard Jeni was an American stand-up comedian. He was raised in
Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, New York. Jeni first received recognition
through a series of Showtime stand-up specials and frequent
appearances on The Tonight Show.

HBO brass noticed Jeni's talent, and he was soon picked up for his
first appearance on the coveted HBO Comedy Hour in 1992, entitled
Richard Jeni: Platypus Man. The show received critical acclaim, and
Jeni would return for two more shows.

Throughout the 90's, awards and accolades continued to pile up and
Richard's growing popularity was making him a sold-out attraction in
concert venues. A particular thrill was when George Carlin handed
Richard the American Comedy Award for "Best Male Stand-up" on ABC TV.
He hosted A&E's "Caroline's Comedy Hour" for two years and the show
won the Cable ACE Award for "Best Stand-Up Comedy Show". He hosted the
infotainment series "What A World" for The Learning Channel and was
nominated for "Best Magazine Host". He became a popular guest on all
the major talk shows while sprinkling in stints as a sardonic and
hilarious correspondent for "Entertainment Tonight".

Jeni would also star on the short-lived UPN sitcom Platypus Man and
appear in the Jim Carrey film The Mask. He also has starred in
various TV commercials for Certs, Arby's, and won a CLIO Award for his
work as a writer/performer in a campaign for the Milk Association.

In 1998, a Coca-Cola executive in Atlanta heard some of Richard's
routines on the radio and was inspired to create "Concession Stand-Up
Comedy Starring Richard Jeni", a series of short stand-up pieces that
ran during the trailers on over 10,000 movie screens in 1998 and were
seen by over 48 million people.

Jeni's Web site biography claims that he has appeared more on the
Tonight Show with Jay Leno than any other stand-up comedian, dating
back to when the Tonight Show was hosted by Johnny Carson.

In 2004, Jeni was named number 57 on Comedy Central's list of the 100
greatest standups of all time. Jeni was a graduate of Hunter College,
where he majored in political science.

--
Gotta Find My Roogalator

Message has been deleted

Brad Ferguson

Mar 11, 2007, 8:25:03 AM3/11/07
In article <et0l3i$7hp$1...@news.xmission.com>, Stacia
<sta...@xmission.com> wrote:

A real shame. I liked him, I liked his work. His "Platypus Man"
series was IIRC was part of the original UPN schedule.

BTW, the double-link above doesn't work. This one should:

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_21268468.shtml

Stacia

Mar 11, 2007, 8:28:14 AM3/11/07
sta...@xmission.com (Stacia) writes:

> Here's another article, also saying it was suicide.

>http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_21268468.shtmlhttp://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_21268468.shtml

Er, I cut and pasted that twice on accident. Here's the real URL:

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_21268468.shtml

I think it's been quoted here already though. Google News still
doesn't have any more info than the Post Chronicle and sheckymagazine
articles.

Stacia

The Kentucky Wizard

Mar 11, 2007, 9:37:32 AM3/11/07

Well, his website is pretty dead at the moment as well, so it appears that
he's now on-topic.

--
Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and
beat you with experience.

© The Wiz ®

FragileWarrior

Mar 11, 2007, 9:49:01 AM3/11/07
"The Kentucky Wizard" <Kentuck...@gmail.com> wrote in

> Stacia wrote:
>> "Scott Brady" <sbra...@hotmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > I just received a MySpace bulletin that comedian Richard Jeni has
>> > died. I don't know any details other than that he canceled his gig
>> > at the Chicago Improv at the last minute.
>>
>> Here's another article, also saying it was suicide.
>>
>> http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_21268468.shtmlhttp:
>> //www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_21268468.shtml
>>
>> Goddammit, Jeni.
>>
>> Stacia
>

> Well, his website is pretty dead at the moment as well, so it appears
> that he's now on-topic.

I bet no one had HIM on their dead pool.

Bye, Richard. Thanks for the laughs.

J.D. Baldwin

Mar 11, 2007, 11:20:15 AM3/11/07

In the previous article, Scott Brady <sbra...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I just received a MySpace bulletin that comedian Richard Jeni has
> died. I don't know any details other than that he canceled his gig
> at the Chicago Improv at the last minute.

Wow, this is a shock. I found him absolutely hilarious, though he
could push a joke just a little past "funny" once in a while. (His
Martha Stewart-as-desperate-felon bit being Exhibit "A" for the
proposition.) He had a funny face, funny delivery, funny body
language. I'm sorry I'll never get a chance to see him, now.
--
_+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
_|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also

FragileWarrior

Mar 11, 2007, 11:23:04 AM3/11/07

> In the previous article, Scott Brady <sbra...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I just received a MySpace bulletin that comedian Richard Jeni has
>> died. I don't know any details other than that he canceled his gig
>> at the Chicago Improv at the last minute.

Technically, he cancelled his life at the last minute.

bway...@gmail.com

Mar 11, 2007, 12:46:09 PM3/11/07
On Mar 11, 11:20 am, INVALID_SEE_...@example.com.invalid (J.D.

Baldwin) wrote:
> Wow, this is a shock. I found him absolutely hilarious, though he
> could push a joke just a little past "funny" once in a while. (His
> Martha Stewart-as-desperate-felon bit being Exhibit "A" for the
> proposition.) He had a funny face, funny delivery, funny body
> language. I'm sorry I'll never get a chance to see him, now.

Hilarious guy; sad to hear that he was so troubled. And not only a
great standup, but a quick wit too. He did one of my favorite ad-libs
of all time...

It happened when he was a celebrity panelist on the short-lived 1998
revival of MATCH GAME, hosted by Michael Burger. On one episode,
Michael entered at the beginning of the show wearing the sort of sleek
suit that Regis would popularize a year later on MILLIONAIRE - a black
suit with a black shirt and grey tie...

Richard Jeni: Do you know who you are in that suit?
Michael Burger: Who am I?
Richard Jeni: You are Wink Corleone.

-Tim

Alan Hope

Mar 11, 2007, 1:04:53 PM3/11/07
Scott Brady goes:

>I just received a MySpace bulletin that comedian Richard Jeni has
>died. I don't know any details other than that he canceled his gig at
>the Chicago Improv at the last minute.

That's usually a sign.

>This is the link to Jeni's MySpace page:

>http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=61655554

--
Alan Hope
http://sour-grapes.tumblr.com/

Brad Ferguson

Mar 11, 2007, 1:32:54 PM3/11/07
In article <et16nf$ghf$1...@reader2.panix.com>, J.D. Baldwin
<INVALID...@example.com.invalid> wrote:

> In the previous article, Scott Brady <sbra...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I just received a MySpace bulletin that comedian Richard Jeni has
> > died. I don't know any details other than that he canceled his gig
> > at the Chicago Improv at the last minute.
>
> Wow, this is a shock. I found him absolutely hilarious, though he
> could push a joke just a little past "funny" once in a while. (His
> Martha Stewart-as-desperate-felon bit being Exhibit "A" for the
> proposition.) He had a funny face, funny delivery, funny body
> language. I'm sorry I'll never get a chance to see him, now.

His MySpace page is back but hasn't been updated, which isn't *too*
surprising. I guess it was swamped before. There are comments about
his death from friends and fans:

<http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friend
id=61655554>

Message has been deleted

Scott Brady

Mar 11, 2007, 3:15:21 PM3/11/07
On Mar 11, 2:05 pm, "A" <a...@hot.net> wrote:

> #57 on the list of all-time standup comics.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Greatest_Stand-ups_of_All_Time

I don't know if I'd rank him that high, but he's definitely in my top
60.

Seriously, why did you open that can of worms ...?

tr...@iwvisp.com

Mar 11, 2007, 3:35:05 PM3/11/07
On Mar 11, 2:39 am, "Scott Brady" <sbrad...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> It's reportedly suicide:
>
> http://sheckymagazine.com/

Here's some add'l info from a few sources....

National Ledger
By Jon Shanks
Mar 11, 2007

Comedian Richard Jeni has reportedly been found dead in West
Hollywood. According to various reports, the comedian committed
suicide. The Post Chronicle is reporting that according to police,
Jeni was found dead presumably from a self-inflicted gunshot wound on
Saturday, March 10, 2007. A loaded gun was reportedly found next to
his body. Syndicated TV show extra is reporting on its website that
he had been scheduled to perform at the Chicago Improv tonight but
cancelled several weeks ago.

Top executives at HBO noticed Jeni's talent, and he was soon picked up

for his first appearance on the coveted HBO Comedy Hour in 1992,

entitled Richard Jeni: Platypus Man. The show was very well received,
and Jeni would return for 2 more shows, and go on to receive a
CableACE Award for one of his HBO specials. Jeni would also star on
the short-lived UPN sitcom Platypus Man, and appear in the Jim Carrey
film The Mask. He also has starred in commercial campaigns for Certs,

Arby's, and won a CLIO Award for his work as a writer/performer in a
campaign for the Milk Association.

tPC has much more here and also indicates that it is said that he
chose to take his life because he was ill. Jack ryan writes, "We
could speculate, but out of respect for Richard and his family we will
not. Autopsy results are expected soon."

>From AP.,..

Comic Richard Jeni dead, police investigating possible suicide
By ANA BEATRIZ CHOLO, Associated Press Writer

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Printable Version Email This Article
(03-11) 12:13 PDT WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (AP) --

Richard Jeni, a standup comedian who played to sold-out crowds and was
a regular on the "Tonight Show," died from a gunshot wound in an
apparent suicide, police said Sunday.

Police found Jeni alive but gravely injured in a home here after
responding to a call Saturday morning from Jeni's girlfriend reporting
the comic had shot himself, Los Angeles Police Officer Norma Eisenman
said.

He died after being rushed to a nearby hospital.

Eisenman said she could not confirm that Jeni had killed himself and
said the investigation was ongoing. She said the female caller told
police: "My boyfriend shot himself in the face."

Ray Arthur

Alan Hope

Mar 11, 2007, 6:45:12 PM3/11/07
A goes:

>x-no-archive: yes

><bway...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> -Tim

> #57 on the list of all-time standup comics.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Greatest_Stand-ups_of_All_Time

Just two above Gilbert Gottfried, and four above Bobcat Goldthwaite.

Some list.

Stacia

Mar 11, 2007, 8:14:44 PM3/11/07
"tr...@iwvisp.com" <tr...@iwvisp.com> writes:

>Police found Jeni alive but gravely injured in a home here after
>responding to a call Saturday morning from Jeni's girlfriend reporting
>the comic had shot himself, Los Angeles Police Officer Norma Eisenman
>said.

>Eisenman said she could not confirm that Jeni had killed himself and

>said the investigation was ongoing. She said the female caller told
>police: "My boyfriend shot himself in the face."

A bit more detail from Associated Content:

According to Jamie Masada, close friend of Jeni's and owner of the Laugh
Factory comedy club in Los Angeles, Jeni's girlfriend was making the
comedian breakfast when Jeni went into the shower and shot himself.[...]

When police arrived, Jeni was found alive, but in serious condition from
the gunshot wound. He was taken to a nearby hospital, but died shortly.

Betsy Magdaleno, an investigator with the Los Angeles County Medical
Examiner's Office said Jeni was pronounced dead at at 10:36 AM on
Saturday at the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/175057/comedian_richard_jeni_dead_of_gunshot.html

This seems to contradict the sheckymagazine.com claim that Jeni killed
himself because of a terminal illness. The family doesn't seem to have
released a statement saying he was ill, either. Guess we'll find out
(maybe).

Stacia

Stacia

Mar 11, 2007, 8:21:05 PM3/11/07
sta...@xmission.com (Stacia) writes:

>http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_21268468.shtml

sheckymagazine.com currently has an article up stating that they broke
the story and the Post Chronicle copied them word for word on it.
Supposedly, the Post Chronicle also took extended info from Wikipedia
and posted it as their own, but I'm not sure I ever saw more than a
single sentence about Jeni's death in the Wiki entry.
Just wanted to mention it, since I posted a link to the Post
Chronicle.

Stacia

aka Bob

Mar 11, 2007, 9:04:22 PM3/11/07
On 11 Mar 2007 01:35:30 -0800, "Scott Brady" <sbra...@hotmail.com>
magnanimously proffered:

I never heard of him before, but I've just spent some tme viewing the
various videos of his performances and I truly wish I'd had an
opportunity to see more of his work. The guy was brilliantly funny and
I'm sorry to learn of his death.

Thank you for the link.

--

"It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens." - Woody Allen

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>

J.D. Baldwin

Mar 11, 2007, 11:08:53 PM3/11/07

In the previous article, Stacia <sta...@xmission.com> wrote:
> When police arrived, Jeni was found alive, but in serious condition
> from the gunshot wound. He was taken to a nearby hospital, but died
> shortly.

richardjeni.com has been updated and now has a deep-gray-on-black
picture of Jeni with a link (invisible, but it's there) to the
"memorial guest book" which if followed shows no posts since late
February.

Stacia

Mar 11, 2007, 11:12:10 PM3/11/07
aka Bob <bobf...@surfwriter.net.not> writes:

>I never heard of him before, but I've just spent some tme viewing the
>various videos of his performances and I truly wish I'd had an
>opportunity to see more of his work. The guy was brilliantly funny and
>I'm sorry to learn of his death.

I'm really upset about Jeni, more so than I usually get when it comes
to celebs I never got within 1,000 miles of. The first comedy video I
ever bought was his HBO special "Crazy From the Heat", and I watched
Jeni every time I saw him on TV. Even "Platypus Man", which honestly
wasn't a great show, but deserved better than the mere 13 episodes it
got. I watched "The Mask" because of Jeni, not Jim Carrey. Jeni seemed
to be headed for a huge career.
In the late 90s I realized I hadn't seen Jeni in ages. I dunno if
"Burn Hollywood Burn" (1998) killed his career for a while, or what. It
was about 2003 when I noticed him back on the radar again, this time
doing a little 7-minute segment on Comedy Central. THE Richard Jeni,
sharing billing with two unknowns?! What the freakin' hell?
But he started making the rounds on talk shows and game shows, got
another HBO special and was also listed as one of the top 100 stand-up
comedians ever. I was so glad, and I was sure he was making a great
comeback, and while I don't think he SHOULD have had to make a comeback,
I was glad he did.
And now this. I dunno, I'm just so fucking sad about it. He was
genuine and silly and talented, and so much of his material is part of
my everyday life.
It must suck to be an entertainer. You put yourself on display for
the entertainment of people you'll never meet. You can mean a lot to
some strange, quiet lady in the middle of Kansas, and never know.
Elaine Boosler said in her editorial on Huffington Post today that the
only reason she could think of for Jeni taking his own life was that
some people had never heard of him. I guess I would counter Boosler's
ham-handed attempt at guilting people with this: in times like this,
it's difficult to realize that as a fan, I took so much from Jeni, and I
literally gave nothing back. And if he did suffer because he felt he
was a virtual unknown, I'm so terribly, incredibly sorry.

Stacia

J.D. Baldwin

Mar 11, 2007, 11:29:12 PM3/11/07

In the previous article, Alan Hope <alan...@skynet.be> wrote:
> > #57 on the list of all-time standup comics.
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Greatest_Stand-ups_of_All_Time
>
> Just two above Gilbert Gottfried, and four above Bobcat Goldthwaite.
>
> Some list.

"Some list" indeed. Chris Rock ahead of Bill Cosby; Ellen Degeneres
ahead of Sam Kinison; Roseann Barr ahead of Johnny Carson; Adam
Sandler ahead of Alan King, Jackie Mason *and* Richard Belzer; David
Cross at #85, way way behind Jeff Foxworthy ... Jim Gaffigan not even
on the list, while Paula Poundstone is. No Martin Mull? No Wendy
Liebman? Emo Philips? Dick Shawn? Good lord, even Carrot Top belongs
on the list ahead of some of the sad cases that appear there. (Did I
mention Paula Poundstone?)

Bob Saget? Penn and Teller? The Smothers Brothers?

Wow. Just ... wow.

FragileHuckleberryHound

Mar 12, 2007, 12:30:24 AM3/12/07
sta...@xmission.com (Stacia) wrote in news:et2gea$abd$1
@news.xmission.com:

OTOH, if he had something medically wrong with him, it might be
understandable. Real pain is really ass-kicking. People who live with
it grow tired and leave here and sometimes they don't bother to ask if it
is all right with us. No one can really walk in those shoes and they
should hope they never have to.

J.D. Baldwin

Mar 11, 2007, 11:32:37 PM3/11/07

In the previous article, Stacia <sta...@xmission.com> wrote:
> Elaine Boosler said in her editorial on Huffington Post today that
> the only reason she could think of for Jeni taking his own life was
> that some people had never heard of him. I guess I would counter
> Boosler's ham-handed attempt at guilting people with this: in times
> like this, it's difficult to realize that as a fan, I took so much
> from Jeni, and I literally gave nothing back. And if he did suffer
> because he felt he was a virtual unknown, I'm so terribly,
> incredibly sorry.

I agree with this psot. ... with one exception.

I wrote HBO an email reaming them out over canceling "Deadwood." I
closed with a comment about how they weren't *completely* worthless
because at least I could get Richard Jeni through the "on-demand"
feature. That does make me feel a little better.

Other than that little diversion, you said it all nicely, including
the large bit I snipped.

mikesm...@hotmail.com

Mar 12, 2007, 12:50:25 AM3/12/07
On Mar 11, 7:17 am, "A" <a...@hot.net> wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> "Stacia" <sta...@xmission.com> wrote in message

> > "Scott Brady" <sbrad...@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> >>I just received a MySpace bulletin that comedianRichardJenihas
> >>died. I don't know any details other than that he canceled his gig at
> >>the Chicago Improv at the last minute.
>
> > Here's another article, also saying it was suicide.
>
> >http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_21268468.shtmlhttp...
>
> > Goddammit,Jeni.
>
> You don't have to cuss at him that way, esp. if you liked him.
> If he had some incurable, painful disease he certainly would
> have a strong reason to end his life.
>
> <btw, the above link doesn't seem to want to open>

Suicide has not been confirmed.

Stacia

Mar 12, 2007, 1:27:15 AM3/12/07
"mikesm...@hotmail.com" <mikesm...@hotmail.com> writes:

>Suicide has not been confirmed.

The girlfriend reported to 911 that he shot himself in the face.
Police right now, however, have not officially ruled it a suicide. An
autopsy is scheduled.
As to the person who suggested Jeni may have been suffering from an
illness, that's possible. sheckymagazine.com has said a friend did
indicate that was Jeni's reason, however, no other source that I can
find even begins to speculate on reasons (except Elaine Boosler's
semi-theory).

Stacia

R H Draney

Mar 12, 2007, 1:34:29 AM3/12/07
Stacia filted:

> I'm really upset about Jeni, more so than I usually get when it comes
>to celebs I never got within 1,000 miles of. The first comedy video I
>ever bought was his HBO special "Crazy From the Heat", and I watched
>Jeni every time I saw him on TV. Even "Platypus Man", which honestly
>wasn't a great show, but deserved better than the mere 13 episodes it
>got. I watched "The Mask" because of Jeni, not Jim Carrey. Jeni seemed
>to be headed for a huge career.

"Platypus Man", if memory serves, went off the air in one of the most bizarre
bits of network-programming history ever conceived...at the end of the first
season on the air, UPN decided to cancel *every* show on its prime-time schedule
with the exception of "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine"...granted, a lot of those
were shows that wouldn't have lasted anyway, but they scorched their own earth
with that one...besides "Platypus Man", I believe "Legend" was an undeserving
victim of the carnage....r

--
"You got Schadenfreude on my Weltanschauung!"
"You got Weltanschauung in my Schadenfreude!"

Tommy Joe

Mar 12, 2007, 5:00:26 AM3/12/07
FragileWarrior wrote:

> I bet no one had HIM on their dead pool.

I had Jeni in our death pool. He was one of my first picks.
Unfortunately for me, everyone in our pool has died since we started
it 10 years ago, and no one ever thought of putting up the money up in
advance. That's it. I'm never betting again unless it's cash in
advance.

Tommy Joe

Tommy Joe

Mar 12, 2007, 5:13:51 AM3/12/07
J.D. Baldwin wrote:

> Good lord, even Carrot Top belongs on the list ahead of some of the sad cases that appear there.

How about a list of the top hundred most stupid lists of all
time?

Tommy Joe

Tommy Joe

Mar 12, 2007, 5:22:33 AM3/12/07
FragileHuckleberryHound wrote:

> OTOH, if he had something medically wrong with him, it might be understandable.

I think it's understandable no matter what the reason is. What,
do people have to make excuses for killing themselves now? Maybe one
day we will become scientifically advanced to the point where we're
able to bring suicide-people back to life so we to publicly punish
them for leaving without permission.

Tommy Joe

Tommy Joe

Mar 12, 2007, 5:27:37 AM3/12/07
FragileHuckleberryHound wrote:

> OTOH, if he had something medically wrong with him, it might be understandable.

I think it's understandable no matter what the reason is. Do

people have to make excuses for killing themselves now? Maybe one day
we will become scientifically advanced to the point where we're able

to bring suicide-people back to life so we can publicly punish them
for leaving without asking.

Tommy Joe (How Dare You Walk Out On Me?)

PerfectlyFragileWarrior

Mar 12, 2007, 10:07:35 AM3/12/07
"Tommy Joe" <jo...@bellsouth.net> wrote in news:1173690026.069242.76850
@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

> FragileWarrior wrote:
>>

>> I bet no one had HIM on their dead pool.
>

> I had Jeni in our death pool.

For THIS year?

> He was one of my first picks.

Good grief, why?

> Unfortunately for me, everyone in our pool has died since we started
> it 10 years ago,

What is this, an infinite dead pool? Eventually you'll be right on all
your picks.

aka Bob

Mar 17, 2007, 12:53:11 AM3/17/07
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 03:29:12 +0000 (UTC),
INVALID...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin) magnanimously
proffered:

>In the previous article, Alan Hope <alan...@skynet.be> wrote:
>> > #57 on the list of all-time standup comics.
>> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Greatest_Stand-ups_of_All_Time
>>
>> Just two above Gilbert Gottfried, and four above Bobcat Goldthwaite.
>>
>> Some list.
>
>"Some list" indeed. Chris Rock ahead of Bill Cosby; Ellen Degeneres
>ahead of Sam Kinison; Roseann Barr ahead of Johnny Carson; Adam
>Sandler ahead of Alan King, Jackie Mason *and* Richard Belzer; David
>Cross at #85, way way behind Jeff Foxworthy ... Jim Gaffigan not even
>on the list, while Paula Poundstone is. No Martin Mull? No Wendy
>Liebman? Emo Philips? Dick Shawn? Good lord, even Carrot Top belongs
>on the list ahead of some of the sad cases that appear there. (Did I
>mention Paula Poundstone?)
>
>Bob Saget? Penn and Teller? The Smothers Brothers?

Add to that: No George Goble, no Red Skelton, no Edgar Bergen, no
David Strassman, no Pat Paulson, no Steve Allen, no Jimmy Durante, no
Victor Borge (albeit more of a sit-down comic) and none of the great
British stand-up comics? What a stupid, self-serving list. I notice
that only three of the nine panelists weren't included on the list.
Maybe next time.

aka Bob

Mar 17, 2007, 4:09:59 AM3/17/07
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 03:29:12 +0000 (UTC),
INVALID...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin) magnanimously
proffered:

>In the previous article, Alan Hope <alan...@skynet.be> wrote:
>> > #57 on the list of all-time standup comics.
>> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Greatest_Stand-ups_of_All_Time
>>
>> Just two above Gilbert Gottfried, and four above Bobcat Goldthwaite.
>>
>> Some list.
>
>"Some list" indeed. Chris Rock ahead of Bill Cosby; Ellen Degeneres
>ahead of Sam Kinison; Roseann Barr ahead of Johnny Carson; Adam
>Sandler ahead of Alan King, Jackie Mason *and* Richard Belzer; David
>Cross at #85, way way behind Jeff Foxworthy ... Jim Gaffigan not even
>on the list, while Paula Poundstone is. No Martin Mull? No Wendy
>Liebman? Emo Philips? Dick Shawn? Good lord, even Carrot Top belongs
>on the list ahead of some of the sad cases that appear there. (Did I
>mention Paula Poundstone?)
>
>Bob Saget? Penn and Teller? The Smothers Brothers?

Add to that: No George Goble, no Red Skelton, no Edgar Bergen, no

David Strassman, no Pat Paulson, no Steve Allen, no Jimmy Durante, no
Victor Borge (albeit more of a sit-down comic) and none of the great

British stand-up comics? And NO BILLY CONNOLLY?!?!? Yet George "Hippy
Dippy Weatherman" Carlin is second?!?!?!?

What a stupid, parochial, self-serving list. I notice that only three

King Daevid MacKenzie

Mar 17, 2007, 4:23:07 AM3/17/07
aka Bob sez:

> What a stupid, parochial, self-serving list. I notice that only three
> of the nine panelists weren't included on the list. Maybe next time.

...Bob, what has the world done to you so viciously that you'd wish it
saw another of these lists?...

--
King Daevid MacKenzie.
No brag, just fact.

aka Bob

Mar 17, 2007, 5:26:49 PM3/17/07
On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 03:23:07 -0500, King Daevid MacKenzie
<echoes...@charter.net> magnanimously proffered:

>aka Bob sez:
>
>> What a stupid, parochial, self-serving list. I notice that only three
>> of the nine panelists weren't included on the list. Maybe next time.
>
>...Bob, what has the world done to you so viciously that you'd wish it
>saw another of these lists?...

You're right. I shouldn't wish another one of these lists on anyone,
even myself ...

Tommy Joe

Mar 17, 2007, 8:04:22 PM3/17/07
PerfectlyFragileWarrior wrote:
> "Tommy Joe" <jo...@bellsouth.net> wrote in news:1173690026.069242.76850
> @p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:
>
> > FragileWarrior wrote:
>

> For THIS year?
> Good grief, why?

> What is this, an infinite dead pool? Eventually you'll be right on all
> your picks.

I was just kidding, I'm not in a death pool. The few I've seen
were lacking in some way. I wouldn't mind getting in one for some
cash if it's well run. I thought of the death pool idea more than 40
years ago, but I'm sure the concept has been around since the
beginning of time, even within tribes as someone is dying and others
take guesses as to when that person is going to die. It's a natural
thing.

But the first death pool I got into was one of my own creation
with just me and two friends. I put 30 names in a hat and we each
took 10. John Wayne was in the hat and was the first to go. I didn't
have him. We replaced his name and a few months later someone else
died. I didn't win that one either. But I did have Walter Pigeon's
name, and at one point I read in the papers that he had entered the
hospital with some kind of ailment, but just my luck he made it out
alive. I never won, not even in my own pool.

But I was only kidding about being in a pool and having Jeni. But
I was not kidding about being in a pool and having other pool members
die. I am in a football pool every year. I know the guy who runs
it. We used to do it by e-mail, before that in person. Then a few
years ago he discovered office-pools.com, and they run a beautiful
place, really tidy and neat. Anyone, of the 20 or so guys in our
pool, I personally know 4 of them, the rest I only know by name from
the pool. One of them died last year. It was as if I actually knew
the guy, in a way. He was one of the ones I actually liked in the
pool, with a sense of humor, always enjoying the banter, etc. But he
died. There should be a celebrity death pool, yes, but the people in
the pool should have a separate pool for themselves, like an insurance
thing, where if one of them dies the cash goes to all of them, or to
whoever predicted that person's death, and you only get one choice
among members of the pool. Typing fast here as I'm on my way out the
door to drive the cab and just got a call. Adios, and may death be
with you always.

Tommy Joe

Tommy Joe

Mar 17, 2007, 8:04:30 PM3/17/07
PerfectlyFragileWarrior wrote:
> "Tommy Joe" <jo...@bellsouth.net> wrote in news:1173690026.069242.76850
> @p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:
>
> > FragileWarrior wrote:
>

> For THIS year?
> Good grief, why?
> What is this, an infinite dead pool? Eventually you'll be right on all
> your picks.

I was just kidding, I'm not in a death pool. The few I've seen

King Daevid MacKenzie

Mar 17, 2007, 10:18:31 PM3/17/07
aka Bob quotes me quotin' him 'n sez:

>>> What a stupid, parochial, self-serving list. I notice that only three
>>> of the nine panelists weren't included on the list. Maybe next time.
>> ...Bob, what has the world done to you so viciously that you'd wish it
>> saw another of these lists?...
>
> You're right. I shouldn't wish another one of these lists on anyone,
> even myself ...

...good boy ;-) ...

han...@julie.lostwells.net

Mar 17, 2007, 10:50:44 PM3/17/07
In article <k7smv2lavck6rh669...@4ax.com>,

aka Bob <b...@surfwriter.net.not> wrote:
>On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 03:29:12 +0000 (UTC),
>INVALID...@example.com.invalid (J.D. Baldwin) magnanimously
>proffered:

>>> Just two above Gilbert Gottfried, and four above Bobcat Goldthwaite.
>>>
>>> Some list.
>>

>Add to that: No George Goble, no Red Skelton, no Edgar Bergen, no
>David Strassman, no Pat Paulson, no Steve Allen, no Jimmy Durante, no
>Victor Borge (albeit more of a sit-down comic) and none of the great
>British stand-up comics? What a stupid, self-serving list. I notice

>that only three of the nine panelists weren't included on the list.
>Maybe next time.

Any such list that doesn't include Fred Allen isn't much of a list.
And I think that W.C. Fields is another "must have," even if Ed Wynn,
Godfrey Cambridge, and Myron Cohen are arguable. That in addition to
the omissions noted, just off the top of the head.

Hank