Singer/songwriter Dan Fogelberg dies

1 view

aad...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2007, 3:18:40 PM12/16/07
http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2007-12-16-fogelberg-obit_N.htm

Dan Fogelberg, one of the most popular singer/songwriters of the '70s
and '80s, died Sunday at home in Maine at age 56. He had battled
advanced prostate cancer since being diagnosed in 2004.
Fogelberg was a key component of the golden age of the confessional
singer/songwriter, joining the likes of James Taylor, Carole King,
Jackson Browne and more in turning pop music's focus inward after the
'60s' explosion of social commentary. He had started as a rocker in
bands around his hometown of Peoria, Ill., but began performing solo
while attending the University of Illinois.

There he met a local booking agent, Irving Azoff. He and local band
REO Speedwagon became Azoff's first managerial projects (prior to
managing the Eagles). Azoff secured Fogelberg a contract with
Columbia, but first album Home Free made little impact. 1974's Joe
Walsh-produced Souvenirs, however, hit the top 20, thanks largely to
hit single Part of the Plan, and Fogelberg embarked on a two-decade
run that would include nine top-30 albums (including three that hit
the top 10).

His best-remembered songs include his biggest hit, the affecting
ballad Longer; The Power of Gold, a collaboration with flautist Tim
Weisberg; Leader of the Band, a tribute to his bandleader father,
Lawrence; and the evergreen seasonal standard Same Old Lang Syne,
which originally hit the top 10 in 1980.

In later years, he ventured into new musical territory, recording a
successful pure-bluegrass album, High Country Snows, in 1985, and
tackling broader political, spiritual and environmental issues in his
songs. His last album, Full Circle, was released in 2003.

Laurie Mann

Dec 16, 2007, 3:36:28 PM12/16/07
On Dec 16, 3:18 pm, aada...@gmail.com wrote:
> http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2007-12-16-fogelberg-obit_N.htm
>
> Dan Fogelberg, one of the most popular singer/songwriters of the '70s
> and '80s, died Sunday at home in Maine at age 56. He had battled
> advanced prostate cancer since being diagnosed in 2004.

Damn.

Laurie Mann
Dead People Server
http://www.deadpeople.info

La N

Dec 16, 2007, 3:40:35 PM12/16/07

"Laurie Mann" <laurie...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Dec 16, 3:18 pm, aada...@gmail.com wrote:
>> http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2007-12-16-fogelberg-obit_N.htm
>>
>> Dan Fogelberg, one of the most popular singer/songwriters of the '70s
>> and '80s, died Sunday at home in Maine at age 56. He had battled
>> advanced prostate cancer since being diagnosed in 2004.
>
> Damn.

Ditto.

;(

- nilita

Laurie Mann

Dec 16, 2007, 3:53:00 PM12/16/07
On Dec 16, 3:40 pm, "La N" <nilita2004NOS...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Laurie Mann" <laurieman...@gmail.com> wrote in message

That's been a universal reaction. It's not like he's been all that
famous for a while, but I think most of us remember him as a decent
singer.
And he died too young.

Jane Margaret Laight

Dec 16, 2007, 3:57:20 PM12/16/07
On Dec 16, 3:40 pm, "La N" <nilita2004NOS...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Laurie Mann" <laurieman...@gmail.com> wrote in message

this is one of those situations where you want to say so much but do
not have the words to do so with

JML

Barbara L Sherrill

Dec 16, 2007, 4:12:52 PM12/16/07

"Laurie Mann" <laurie...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Dec 16, 3:18 pm, aada...@gmail.com wrote:
>> http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2007-12-16-fogelberg-obit_N.htm
>>
>> Dan Fogelberg, one of the most popular singer/songwriters of the '70s
>> and '80s, died Sunday at home in Maine at age 56. He had battled
>> advanced prostate cancer since being diagnosed in 2004.
>
> Damn.

Wow... I loved his music.

La N

Dec 16, 2007, 4:26:19 PM12/16/07

"Jane Margaret Laight" <jml2...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

A few months ago I did a "whatever happened to" google on him when I
happened to hear one of his songs on the radio. He does/did have a website
in which he, as back as 2004, thanked friends, family and fans for their
support during his battle with prostate cancer.

- nilita

Message has been deleted

Turquoise

Dec 16, 2007, 4:55:45 PM12/16/07
in article Mc-dnfiCcP9BAfja...@wideopenwest.com, Chris at
nos...@yahoo.com wrote on 12/16/07 3:46 PM:

> <aad...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2007-12-16-fogelberg-obit_N.htm
>>
>> Dan Fogelberg, one of the most popular singer/songwriters of the '70s
>> and '80s, died Sunday at home in Maine at age 56. He had battled
>> advanced prostate cancer since being diagnosed in 2004.

His "Same Auld Lang Syne" seems to be played every NY's Eve. It will have a
special meaning this year...

Starfish

Dec 16, 2007, 5:11:59 PM12/16/07
This is one of my VERY favorite artists we/ve lost.

"Now the winter wind blows cold, on a fair and gentle soul.
....And it's hard to keep from cryin.'

From "Go Down Easy"

La N

Dec 16, 2007, 5:35:31 PM12/16/07

"Starfish" <starfi...@webtv.net> wrote in message

"Longer than there've been fishes in the ocean
Higher than than any bird ever flew
Longer than there've been stars up in the heavens
I've been in love with you
Stronger than any mountain cathedral
Truer than any tree ever grew
Deeper than any forest primeval
I am in love with you
I'll bring fire in the winters
You'll send showers in the springs
We'll fly through the falls and summers
With love on our wings"

- nilita, okay I'm just plain sappy with Fogelberg ...:( ... sniff ...

Turquoise

Dec 16, 2007, 5:36:53 PM12/16/07
in article 5406-476...@storefull-3134.bay.webtv.net, Starfish at
starfi...@webtv.net wrote on 12/16/07 4:11 PM:

This man knew our souls and how things all around it affected us all.

He spoke in plain english, as opposed to other latter-day pop poets who
spoke in roundabout maddening gibberish like Neil Diamond.

cruciverbalist

Dec 16, 2007, 6:02:43 PM12/16/07
Damn. Twin Sons with Weisberg is still one of my all time favorites.

Jack

Starfish

Dec 16, 2007, 5:56:20 PM12/16/07
Here's a page listing all his songs, and linking to the lyrics of each.

http://thelivinglegacy.net/SongList.html

AMAZING what he gave us.

Message has been deleted

cha...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2007, 6:16:58 PM12/16/07

he gave me points in the pool. rest in peace.

ed

cat

Dec 16, 2007, 7:02:14 PM12/16/07
"Barbara L Sherrill" <barbaral...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> Wow... I loved his music.

Me, too. I own six of his albums...that's LPs, mind you.

Chris

Dec 16, 2007, 7:13:48 PM12/16/07

"Turquoise" <les246...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

And yet oddly enough , the setting is on Christmas eve.

lidsvillenine

Dec 16, 2007, 8:58:00 PM12/16/07

Back in 1982, my boss took me to see Fogelberg at a large arena in
Columbia, MO. I was 21. This is the only instance where a concert has
ever made me like an artist LESS (well, except for frigging Fishbone.)
I traded all my Fogelberg albums in for used records the next day. He
was a mediocre talent, a show off, a snob and an asshole. As I
remember, he showed up solo, and bored us to tears.He got pissy
because the MC had given updates on the baseball playoffs during the
break, I guess he was supposed to just say "how bout it for Dan
Fogelberg" a bunch of times. To cap off the show, he refused to play
"Run For the Roses", his current big hit. No encore. Part of the
concert was him playing a simple piece on a grand piano, which many
freshman college students can play quite well.

One impressive moment from his recording career was "Netherlands". It
was hokey and hackneyed, but inspired me when I was about 18.

In highschool, my friends and I would sing along to "Fart in the Fan"

Rest in piss, Dan Fogelberg

Jed

Dec 16, 2007, 9:31:21 PM12/16/07
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 17:58:00 -0800 (PST), lidsvillenine
<Lidsvi...@embarqmail.com> wrote:

>On Dec 16, 2:18 pm, aada...@gmail.com wrote:
>> http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2007-12-16-fogelberg-obit_N.htm
>

>Back in 1982, my boss took me to see Fogelberg at a large arena in
>Columbia, MO. I was 21. This is the only instance where a concert has
>ever made me like an artist LESS (well, except for frigging Fishbone.)

I take it you never saw Tim Hardin live (If I Was a Carpenter, Reason
to Believe).

Matthew Kruk

Dec 16, 2007, 10:22:11 PM12/16/07
"Jed" <zyzygy@plenipôtentiary.com.invalid> wrote in message

Read some of the recent reviews of Sly Stone too.

lidsvillenine

Dec 16, 2007, 11:09:54 PM12/16/07
On Dec 16, 8:31 pm, Jed <zyzygy@plenipôtentiary.com.invalid> wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 17:58:00 -0800 (PST), lidsvillenine
>
> <LidsvilleN...@embarqmail.com> wrote:
> >On Dec 16, 2:18 pm, aada...@gmail.com wrote:
> >>http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2007-12-16-fogelberg-obit_N.htm
>
> >Back in 1982, my boss took me to see Fogelberg at a large arena in
> >Columbia, MO. I was 21. This is the only instance where a concert has
> >ever made me like an artist LESS (well, except for frigging Fishbone.)
>
> I take it you never saw Tim Hardin live (If I Was a Carpenter, Reason
> to Believe).

One of my favorite songwriters. I can imagine him not being too great
live, though. Was is awful?

lidsvillenine

Dec 16, 2007, 11:11:08 PM12/16/07
On Dec 16, 4:35 pm, "La N" <nilita2004NOS...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Starfish" <starfisher...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Can this be somehow tied in with "Christmas Shoes" for one big blowout?

Jed

Dec 16, 2007, 11:26:43 PM12/16/07

Pretty bad. It was circa 1978/79, just a year or two before he died in
1980, at McCabe's Guitar Shop in Santa Monica. McCabe's had a smallish
room in the back of the store for shows, pretty intimate, probably
room for 30 or so in the audience on folding chairs and a small stage
in front that was pretty famous at the time.

Hardin was late, very late, and when he did arrive he was already
pissed in all definitions of the word. He fumbled his way through "If
I Was a Carpenter" then mumbled a few more songs. As the crowd became
a bit restless at the listless performance, he became defensive and
abusive, throwing a bottle of whisky at the wall, insulting random
members of the audience alternating with periods of silence as he
slumped over, seemingly completely out of it.

It was probably more sad than irritating.

John M.

Dec 16, 2007, 11:32:04 PM12/16/07
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 18:31:21 -0800, Jed <zyzygy@plenipôtentiary.com.invalid>
wrote:

Sometimes I feel it in my bones that I was meant to be a musician. And this is
the kind I think I would like to be, but still alive though.

If I Was a Carpenter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLmT70EOCys

And a decent cover of the latter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oGKrSGXZRU&feature=related

--

John M.

John M.

Dec 16, 2007, 11:40:35 PM12/16/07
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 23:32:04 -0500, John M. <jcm113...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 18:31:21 -0800, Jed <zyzygy@plenipôtentiary.com.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 17:58:00 -0800 (PST), lidsvillenine
>><Lidsvi...@embarqmail.com> wrote:

>>>Back in 1982, my boss took me to see Fogelberg at a large arena in
>>>Columbia, MO. I was 21. This is the only instance where a concert has
>>>ever made me like an artist LESS (well, except for frigging Fishbone.)
>>
>>I take it you never saw Tim Hardin live (If I Was a Carpenter, Reason
>>to Believe).
>>

>Sometimes I feel it in my bones that I was meant to be a musician. And this is
>the kind I think I would like to be, but still alive though.
>
>If I Was a Carpenter:
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLmT70EOCys

Perhaps a bit less inebriated too. :-) Still, an awesome performance.

--

John M.

Bob Feigel

Dec 17, 2007, 1:15:51 AM12/17/07
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 20:26:43 -0800, Jed
<zyzygy@plenipôtentiary.com.invalid> magnanimously proffered:

>On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 20:09:54 -0800 (PST), lidsvillenine
><Lidsvi...@embarqmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Dec 16, 8:31 pm, Jed <zyzygy@plenipôtentiary.com.invalid> wrote:

>>> I take it you never saw Tim Hardin live (If I Was a Carpenter, Reason
>>> to Believe).
>>
>>One of my favorite songwriters. I can imagine him not being too great
>>live, though. Was is awful?
>
>Pretty bad. It was circa 1978/79, just a year or two before he died in
>1980, at McCabe's Guitar Shop in Santa Monica. McCabe's had a smallish
>room in the back of the store for shows, pretty intimate, probably
>room for 30 or so in the audience on folding chairs and a small stage
>in front that was pretty famous at the time.

I knew McCabe's well back in the late-sixties, early-seventies. I was
always hoping to run into Linda Ronstadt, but only saw her getting
into a car once and whisked away just as I was arriving. Damn!

I bought a beautiful Dobro there that used to belong to one of the
Dillards, but I had to sell it back after I failed to learn to fret
using my right hand instead of my left. I'm right handed, but I
couldn't fret with my left hand because the index finger had grown
back with an inflexible curve after I cut it off and had it sewn back
on when I was a kid.). Trying to strum with my left hand and fret with
my right was bloody hopeless.

The Dobro was bought by the same Dillard (can't remember which, but it
may have been Doug) that sold it in the first place. I even made a
small profit.

--

"It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens." - Woody Allen

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>

Message has been deleted

Bill Schenley

Dec 17, 2007, 4:16:53 AM12/17/07
> Sometimes I feel it in my bones that I was meant
> to be a musician. And this is the kind I think I would
> like to be, but still alive though.
>
> If I Was a Carpenter:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLmT70EOCys

Heh ... <Gag>

This is not the best Tim Hardin "Reason to Believe" recording, but still a
lot better than the above:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsDCsiJfhrc

A couple more:

Red Balloon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-lyL_3tVSM&feature=related
(I've never been able to figure out what this song was about) ...

Misty Roses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd6dL04hKyA&feature=related

Alan Hope

Dec 17, 2007, 5:05:31 AM12/17/07
Starfish goes:

>Here's a page listing all his songs, and linking to the lyrics of each.

>http://thelivinglegacy.net/SongList.html

>AMAZING what he gave us.

A lot of those songs are not actually his, you know. He never wrote In
the Bleak Midwinter or Hark the Herald Angels Sing, to name only two.

--
AH
http://grapes2dot0.blogspot.com

Message has been deleted

Charlene

Dec 17, 2007, 9:24:29 AM12/17/07

Christopher Cross. How a man who couldn't carry a tune could have a
Number One hit is still beyond me.

wd43

Bob Feigel

Dec 17, 2007, 5:54:42 PM12/17/07
On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:05:31 +0100, Alan Hope
<usenet....@gmail.com> magnanimously proffered:

>Starfish goes:
>
>>Here's a page listing all his songs, and linking to the lyrics of each.
>
>>http://thelivinglegacy.net/SongList.html
>
>>AMAZING what he gave us.
>
>A lot of those songs are not actually his, you know. He never wrote In
>the Bleak Midwinter or Hark the Herald Angels Sing, to name only two.

A far more gracious and generous human being than you'll ever be would
have named the AMAZING songs he *did* write.

Bob Feigel

Dec 17, 2007, 6:35:27 PM12/17/07
On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 05:45:12 -0800, Terry del Fuego
<t_del...@hotmail.com> magnanimously proffered:

>On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 19:15:51 +1300, Bob Feigel
><b...@surfwriter.net.not> wrote:
>
>>I knew McCabe's well back in the late-sixties, early-seventies. I was
>>always hoping to run into Linda Ronstadt, but only saw her getting
>>into a car once and whisked away just as I was arriving. Damn!
>

>My only record store brush with greatness happened in 1997. There
>were three people in the store: The owner, me and Emmylou Harris. I
>didn't have anything intelligent to say to her so, being the real
>world and not alt.obituaries, I just kept my mouth shut and continued
>browsing.

Which reminds me of the time someone threw our frisbee over the front
wall of Robbie and Monique Robertson's Malibu beach house and hurdled
myself after it only to land at Bob Dylan's cowboy booted feet.

"Boots," said I meaningfully. "I know," answered Bob. And, that was my
one and only conversation with the great Bob Dylan.

R H Draney

Dec 17, 2007, 7:24:31 PM12/17/07
Bob Feigel filted:

>Which reminds me of the time someone threw our frisbee over the front
>wall of Robbie and Monique Robertson's Malibu beach house and hurdled
>myself after it only to land at Bob Dylan's cowboy booted feet.
>
>"Boots," said I meaningfully. "I know," answered Bob. And, that was my
>one and only conversation with the great Bob Dylan.

In that instant, the novice was enlightened....r

--
"He come in the night when one sleep on a bed.
With a hand he have the basket and foods."

Bob Feigel

Dec 17, 2007, 7:27:28 PM12/17/07
On 17 Dec 2007 16:24:31 -0800, R H Draney <dado...@spamcop.net>
magnanimously proffered:

>Bob Feigel filted:
>>
>>Which reminds me of the time someone threw our frisbee over the front
>>wall of Robbie and Monique Robertson's Malibu beach house and hurdled
>>myself after it only to land at Bob Dylan's cowboy booted feet.
>>
>>"Boots," said I meaningfully. "I know," answered Bob. And, that was my
>>one and only conversation with the great Bob Dylan.
>
>In that instant, the novice was enlightened....r

Come to think of it I *did* hear the sound of one hand clapping ...

La N

Dec 17, 2007, 8:42:18 PM12/17/07

"Bob Feigel" <b...@surfwriter.net.not> wrote in message

> On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 05:45:12 -0800, Terry del Fuego
> <t_del...@hotmail.com> magnanimously proffered:
>
>>On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 19:15:51 +1300, Bob Feigel
>><b...@surfwriter.net.not> wrote:
>>
>>>I knew McCabe's well back in the late-sixties, early-seventies. I was
>>>always hoping to run into Linda Ronstadt, but only saw her getting
>>>into a car once and whisked away just as I was arriving. Damn!
>>
>>My only record store brush with greatness happened in 1997. There
>>were three people in the store: The owner, me and Emmylou Harris. I
>>didn't have anything intelligent to say to her so, being the real
>>world and not alt.obituaries, I just kept my mouth shut and continued
>>browsing.
>
> Which reminds me of the time someone threw our frisbee over the front
> wall of Robbie and Monique Robertson's Malibu beach house and hurdled
> myself after it only to land at Bob Dylan's cowboy booted feet.
>
> "Boots," said I meaningfully. "I know," answered Bob. And, that was my
> one and only conversation with the great Bob Dylan.

Okay ... this is embarassing ....

Many many years ago (as per usual) some time in the 70's, a then-friend of
mine, Brian, who happened to be a journalist / slash / actor / entrepreneur
got the idea of making some money by throwing a Policeman's Benevolent
Dinner thingy in Calgary. The tickets would be pricey and limited, and the
star entertainer was Engelbert Humperdinck. Proceeds, of course, would go
to some policeman's organization, though in retrospect I think the function
didn't make money for anybody save perhaps my then friend, the impressario.

Anway, another friend - Veronica - and I bought tickets and because I was a
friend of the fellow who through this shindig, he put V. and I up at a table
close to the stage (it was set up as a dinner theatre). So, out comes
Engel, looking all Elvis-y .. and then he got to the song, "Lay your head
upon my pillooooooow ...hold your warm and tender body next to mine ..." He
looked at our table (and it isn't as if friend Brian didn't forewarm me of
this), Eng took off his neck scarf and offered it to *moi*, and he tried to
beckon me up on the stage where he would allegedly envelop me in an embrace
and a kiss.

I was mortified, embarrassed, or did not have enough wine in me or something
... I just trembled and shook my head *no* and started to slink under the
table in humiliation. My friend, Veronica, was pissed off at me! "Eng" was
quite bemused, as I don't think he had ever before been turned down! He
chose some other lucky lady as a second choice .. heheh ...

So, I went home that night untouched by Engelbert Humperdinck, with some of
friends calling me an idiot ..:) :) :)

- nilita

R H Draney

Dec 17, 2007, 8:47:13 PM12/17/07
Bob Feigel filted:

>On 17 Dec 2007 16:24:31 -0800, R H Draney <dado...@spamcop.net>
>magnanimously proffered:
>
>>Bob Feigel filted:
>>>
>>>Which reminds me of the time someone threw our frisbee over the front
>>>wall of Robbie and Monique Robertson's Malibu beach house and hurdled
>>>myself after it only to land at Bob Dylan's cowboy booted feet.
>>>
>>>"Boots," said I meaningfully. "I know," answered Bob. And, that was my
>>>one and only conversation with the great Bob Dylan.
>>
>>In that instant, the novice was enlightened....r
>
>Come to think of it I *did* hear the sound of one hand clapping ...

Or was it the sound of Slow Hand Clapton?...r

Bob Feigel

Dec 17, 2007, 9:37:26 PM12/17/07
On 17 Dec 2007 17:47:13 -0800, R H Draney <dado...@spamcop.net>
magnanimously proffered:

>Bob Feigel filted:
>>
>>On 17 Dec 2007 16:24:31 -0800, R H Draney <dado...@spamcop.net>
>>magnanimously proffered:
>>
>>>Bob Feigel filted:

>>>In that instant, the novice was enlightened....r
>>
>>Come to think of it I *did* hear the sound of one hand clapping ...
>
>Or was it the sound of Slow Hand Clapton?...r

Could be ... the Captain and Tennille lived just down the beach.

Bob Feigel

Dec 17, 2007, 9:39:52 PM12/17/07
On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 01:42:18 GMT, "La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com>
magnanimously proffered:

>So, I went home that night untouched by Engelbert Humperdinck, with some of
>friends calling me an idiot ..:) :) :)

Others would call you vey fortunate ...

R H Draney

Dec 18, 2007, 5:39:26 AM12/18/07
Bob Feigel filted:

>On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 01:42:18 GMT, "La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com>
>magnanimously proffered:
>
>>So, I went home that night untouched by Engelbert Humperdinck, with some of
>>friends calling me an idiot ..:) :) :)
>
>Others would call you vey fortunate ...

Read this and other heartwarming stories in Nilita's forthcoming inspirational
book, "Untouched By A Humperdinck"....r

John M.

Dec 18, 2007, 5:56:13 AM12/18/07
On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 04:16:53 -0500, "Bill Schenley" <stra...@neo.rr.com> wrote:

>> Sometimes I feel it in my bones that I was meant
>> to be a musician. And this is the kind I think I would
>> like to be, but still alive though.
>>
>> If I Was a Carpenter:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLmT70EOCys
>
>> And a decent cover of the latter:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oGKrSGXZRU&feature=related
>
>Heh ... <Gag>

Damn. Did I post this? Seriously, I don't like the Carpenters nor Rod
Stewart. I listened to the version you posted and it was okay. Perhaps if had
heard/seen a performance I would feel different. The version I posted a link is
just the first non mainstream cover I came across. For an amateur I think it's
passable (maybe with some studio magic?). That's what I meant by decent but on
a re listen I'm leaning in your direction.

>This is not the best Tim Hardin "Reason to Believe" recording, but still a
>lot better than the above:
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsDCsiJfhrc
>
>A couple more:
>
>Red Balloon
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-lyL_3tVSM&feature=related
>(I've never been able to figure out what this song was about) ...

Nice.

>Misty Roses
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd6dL04hKyA&feature=related

So-so. It kinda reminds me of some of Jose Feliciano's material from the same
period (not a jab).

--

John M.

John M.

Dec 18, 2007, 6:00:32 AM12/18/07
On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 12:35:27 +1300, Bob Feigel <b...@surfwriter.net.not> wrote:

>On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 05:45:12 -0800, Terry del Fuego
><t_del...@hotmail.com> magnanimously proffered:
>
>>On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 19:15:51 +1300, Bob Feigel
>><b...@surfwriter.net.not> wrote:
>>
>>>I knew McCabe's well back in the late-sixties, early-seventies. I was
>>>always hoping to run into Linda Ronstadt, but only saw her getting
>>>into a car once and whisked away just as I was arriving. Damn!
>>
>>My only record store brush with greatness happened in 1997. There
>>were three people in the store: The owner, me and Emmylou Harris. I
>>didn't have anything intelligent to say to her so, being the real
>>world and not alt.obituaries, I just kept my mouth shut and continued
>>browsing.
>
>Which reminds me of the time someone threw our frisbee over the front
>wall of Robbie and Monique Robertson's Malibu beach house and hurdled
>myself after it only to land at Bob Dylan's cowboy booted feet.
>
>"Boots," said I meaningfully. "I know," answered Bob. And, that was my
>one and only conversation with the great Bob Dylan.

Just after hopping off of a shuttle at Logan airport I passed a man sitting on a
bench outside while walking into the baggage claim area. He had a cased guitar
and other bags beside him and looked immediately familiar. It was only after I
had gone in that I realized it was James Taylor. I turned around soon after and
was going to say something like, "Amazing! Has anyone ever told you that you're
a spittin' image of Livingston Taylor?" or something like that but he was gone.
It was just as well that he was gone because I was carrying a copy of Catcher In
The Rye. Wouldn't have wanted to freak him out or anything.

--

John M.

La N

Dec 18, 2007, 9:19:23 AM12/18/07

"R H Draney" <dado...@spamcop.net> wrote in message

> Bob Feigel filted:
>>
>>On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 01:42:18 GMT, "La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com>
>>magnanimously proffered:
>>
>>>So, I went home that night untouched by Engelbert Humperdinck, with some
>>>of
>>>friends calling me an idiot ..:) :) :)
>>
>>Others would call you vey fortunate ...
>
> Read this and other heartwarming stories in Nilita's forthcoming
> inspirational
> book, "Untouched By A Humperdinck"....r

Hey, my book would be titled something like, "Nilita's Nonadventures or ...
She should'a could'a ..."

- nilita

Alan Hope

Dec 18, 2007, 1:58:48 PM12/18/07
Bob Feigel goes:

>On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:05:31 +0100, Alan Hope
><usenet....@gmail.com> magnanimously proffered:

>>Starfish goes:

>>>Here's a page listing all his songs, and linking to the lyrics of each.

>>>http://thelivinglegacy.net/SongList.html

>>>AMAZING what he gave us.

>>A lot of those songs are not actually his, you know. He never wrote In
>>the Bleak Midwinter or Hark the Herald Angels Sing, to name only two.

>A far more gracious and generous human being than you'll ever be would
>have named the AMAZING songs he *did* write.

Hang on a minute while I think of one. Don't go away ...

--
AH
http://grapes2dot0.blogspot.com

Bob Feigel

Dec 18, 2007, 2:18:17 PM12/18/07
On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:58:48 +0100, Alan Hope
<usenet....@gmail.com> magnanimously proffered:

>Bob Feigel goes:
>
>>On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:05:31 +0100, Alan Hope
>><usenet....@gmail.com> magnanimously proffered:
>
>>>Starfish goes:

>>>A lot of those songs are not actually his, you know. He never wrote In
>>>the Bleak Midwinter or Hark the Herald Angels Sing, to name only two.
>
>>A far more gracious and generous human being than you'll ever be would
>>have named the AMAZING songs he *did* write.
>
>Hang on a minute while I think of one. Don't go away ...

Don't fret now, Alan ... you know we hang on your every word.

La N

Dec 18, 2007, 7:47:45 PM12/18/07

"La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:...

Post Script: If, on the other hand, Mr. Andrea Bocelli were so inclined to
add that gimmick to his act, I would not hesitate to jump on the stage and
score/steal a kiss from *him* ... ;)

- nilita, who truly *does* have some weaknesses

Bermuda999

Dec 18, 2007, 8:14:48 PM12/18/07
On Dec 17, 5:54�pm, Bob Feigel <b...@surfwriter.net.not> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:05:31 +0100, Alan Hope
> <usenet.ident...@gmail.com> magnanimously proffered:

> >Starfish goes:
>
> >>Here's a page listing all his songs, and linking to the lyrics of each.
>
> >>http://thelivinglegacy.net/SongList.html
>
> >>AMAZING what he gave us.
>
> >A lot of those songs are not actually his, you know. He never wrote In
> >the Bleak Midwinter or Hark the Herald Angels Sing, to name only two.
>
> A far more gracious and generous human being than you'll ever be would
> have named the AMAZING songs he *did* write.

"Heavy metal bands are on trial because kids
commit suicide...Judas Priest on trial because 'my kid bought the
record, and he listened to the lyrics and na na na na na na. Well
that's great! That sets a legal precedent! Does that mean I can sue
Dan Fogelberg for making me into a pussy in the mid 70's? Is that
possible? Huh? Huh? Your honor, between him and James Taylor, I
didn't
get a blowjob until i was 27 years old!"

Alan Hope

Dec 19, 2007, 2:36:52 AM12/19/07
Bob Feigel goes:

>On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:58:48 +0100, Alan Hope
><usenet....@gmail.com> magnanimously proffered:
>
>>Bob Feigel goes:
>>
>>>On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:05:31 +0100, Alan Hope
>>><usenet....@gmail.com> magnanimously proffered:

>>>A far more gracious and generous human being than you'll ever be would
>>>have named the AMAZING songs he *did* write.
>>
>>Hang on a minute while I think of one. Don't go away ...
>
>Don't fret now, Alan ... you know we hang on your every word.

So I see.

--
AH
http://grapes2dot0.blogspot.com

Bob Feigel

Dec 19, 2007, 3:29:39 AM12/19/07
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:36:52 +0100, Alan Hope
<usenet....@gmail.com> magnanimously proffered:

I thought you would.

Message has been deleted