Sgt. Merlin German "Miracle Man" Marine, 22

La N

May 1, 2008, 2:24:09 PM5/1/08

newsday.com/news/local/newyork/ny-lisold0502,0,3082583.story

Newsday.com
'Miracle Man' Marine dies
BY MATTHEW CHAYES

matthew...@newsday.com

1:56 PM EDT, May 1, 2008

At the military hospital where he was being treated for burns covering more
than 97 percent of his body, Sgt. Merlin German was known as the "Miracle
Man," according to news reports.

When German, of Manhattan, suffered major injuries in 2005 from a roadside
bomb that exploded in Iraq's Al Anbar province, doctors gave him virtually
no chance of surviving, the San Antonio Express-News reported. But he seemed
to be doing better, receiving skin graft surgeries and mentoring newly
wounded military personnel.

But last month, the doctors' grim initial prognosis from more than three
years ago proved ultimately accurate. The Pentagon announced his death
Thursday.

German, a Marine who grew up in New York, died of his injuries April 11 at
Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas, where he was being
treated. The 22-year-old, the youngest of eight children, had been burned
everywhere but the top of his head and soles of his feet, according to The
Express-News.

German was assigned to the 5th Battalion, 11th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine
Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, from Camp Pendleton, Calif., the
Department of Defense said in a news release.

Copyright © 2008, Newsday Inc.

La N

May 1, 2008, 2:29:04 PM5/1/08

"La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> newsday.com/news/local/newyork/ny-lisold0502,0,3082583.story
>
> Newsday.com
> 'Miracle Man' Marine dies
> BY MATTHEW CHAYES
>
> matthew...@newsday.com
>
> 1:56 PM EDT, May 1, 2008
>
> At the military hospital where he was being treated for burns covering
> more
> than 97 percent of his body, Sgt. Merlin German was known as the "Miracle
> Man," according to news reports.

Here he was in December 2006, posing with actress Elizabeth Rohm at a Brooke
Army Medical Center holiday ball:

http://www.right-thoughts.us/index.php/weblog/comments/someone_you_should_know_corporal_merlin_german/

J.D. Baldwin

May 1, 2008, 4:48:22 PM5/1/08

In the previous article, La N <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> At the military hospital where he was being treated for burns
> covering more than 97 percent of his body, Sgt. Merlin German was
> known as the "Miracle Man," according to news reports.

One story about burned servicemen that covers German's case in detail:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-07-14-burnunit_N.htm
--
_+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
_|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also

La N

May 1, 2008, 4:54:14 PM5/1/08

"J.D. Baldwin" <INVALID...@example.com.invalid> wrote in message

> In the previous article, La N <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> At the military hospital where he was being treated for burns
>> covering more than 97 percent of his body, Sgt. Merlin German was
>> known as the "Miracle Man," according to news reports.
>
> One story about burned servicemen that covers German's case in detail:
>
> http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-07-14-burnunit_N.htm
> --

Medical colleagues of mine, those who have worked in or toured Burn Units,
have invariably commented that the experience humbled them.

- nillita

Jim Beaver

May 2, 2008, 4:48:28 AM5/2/08

"La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Rest in peace, Marine.

Jim Beaver

Armand

May 2, 2008, 4:07:53 PM5/2/08
On Thu, 01 May 2008 18:29:04 GMT, "La N" <nilita20...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Looks like he made a full recovery. Wonder how/why he died?