Phillip Pine, Character Actor, 86

1 view

Brad Ferguson

May 16, 2007, 12:54:49 AM5/16/07
Belated word on the boards over the past few days (apparently
originating with a report in Boyd Magers' "Western Clippings") that
character actor Phillip Pine died on 22 December 2006 in Van Nuys, CA
at the age of 86.

Phillip Pine was in hundreds of films and TV shows, including a
remarkably bad episode of the original Star Trek ("The Savage Curtain")
in which he played the evil Colonel Green. He also did two episodes of
Twilight Zone and two successive early episodes of Adventures of
Superman (neither one with Dabbs Greer, unfortunately). Some will
remember Phillip Pine as the American vice president in a remarkable
Outer Limits episode, "The Hundred Days of the Dragon." IMDb lists
scores of credits for him from the 1940s all the way to 2005. Any
series from the '50s and '60s you ever heard of, he was in it. One of
the greats.

Pic (as Superman bad guy in 1951; he's on the left):

<http://www.scifilm.org/tv/tvgraphics/superman-mysbroksta.jpg>

Pic (as Colonel Green, 1969):

<http://www.space-debris.com/st_pine.jpg>

Much more recent pic (I think it's from a 2002 Twilight Zone
convention):

<http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/es/images/c/c9/Phillippine.jpg>

spi...@hotmail.com

May 16, 2007, 1:46:13 AM5/16/07
On May 16, 2:54 pm, Brad Ferguson <thirt...@frXOXed.net> wrote:

> Pic (as Superman bad guy in 1951; he's on the left):
>
> <http://www.scifilm.org/tv/tvgraphics/superman-mysbroksta.jpg>

That's the aptly-named Tristram Coffin on the right, isn't it?

Brad Ferguson

May 16, 2007, 2:03:16 AM5/16/07
In article <1179294373....@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
<spi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Yes. The pic is from "Mystery of the Broken Statues," which was shot
right after (or along with) "The Case of the Talkative Dummy." Tris
Coffin and Phillip Pine are in both episodes.

Stacia

May 16, 2007, 5:03:33 AM5/16/07
Brad Ferguson <thir...@frXOXed.net> writes:

>Phillip Pine was in hundreds of films and TV shows, including a
>remarkably bad episode of the original Star Trek ("The Savage Curtain")

The one with Abraham Lincoln? Oh yeah, that's embarassing.
This happens to be a character actor who I've hardly ever seen, but he
was in a ton of shows. I haven't even seen the "Dick Van Dyke Show"
episode he was in. The only shows I've seen him in are "Star Trek" and
"Twilight Zone" (episode "The Four of Us Are Dying", where he's excellent,
by the way).

Stacia

Vandelack

May 16, 2007, 8:56:00 AM5/16/07
On May 15, 9:54 pm, Brad Ferguson <thirt...@frXOXed.net> wrote:
> Belated word on the boards over the past few days (apparently
> originating with a report in Boyd Magers' "Western Clippings") that
> character actor Phillip Pine died on 22 December 2006 in Van Nuys, CA
> at the age of 86.

According to his IMDb bio he was the (much) older brother of actor
Robert Pine. However, there is no mention of the relationship in
Robert Pine's bio.

Stephen Bowie

May 16, 2007, 10:16:43 AM5/16/07
I met Phillip Pine once at an autograph show and he was very ...
intense. And he wasn't related to Robert Pine - that's another piece
of bad data that's been on the IMDb forever.