Tab Baker, 50, stage, TV and film actor

Diner

Aug 13, 2010, 11:43:21 AM8/13/10
http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/the_theater_loop/2010/08/tab-baker.html
Tab Baker, 1959-2010 by Chris Jones

Terrence Alonzo Baker didn't have to look far for a stage name. He
just used his initials and called himself Tab Baker. And then he went
about as far as a Chicago actor can go.

In a career spanning three decades, Mr. Baker appeared on stage in
major productions at the now-defunct Chicago Theatre Company,
Northlight Theatre, Goodman Theatre, Pegasus Players and the old
Wisdom Bridge Theatre. He scored work in virtually every TV show
filming in the Chicago area, including "Prison Break," "Cupid," "E/R"
and "Early Edition." And he also appeared in feature films like
"Gladiator" and "Ice Harvest."

"Tab was a terrific actor," said BJ Jones, the artistic director of
Northlight. "When he was younger, he had a smashing energy and a
wonderfully ebullient spirit."

Mr. Baker, 50, died in his home on Monday after suffering from a heart
attack, according to his sister, Jacinta Latimore.
"I have been getting calls from Paris, Spain, everywhere," Latimore
said. "Tab was adored by all of those with whom he worked."

" Tab," said Erica Daniels, the casting director at the Steppenwolf
Theatre, "was a truly lovely man."

Mr. Baker, who was single, was a native Chicagoan and, his sister
said, a graduate of Marquette University in Milwaukee. Aside from
Latimore, survivors include Mr. Baker's other sisters, Alexis Baker,
Tracy Baker and Anita Townsend. Both his parents are deceased.

Latimore said that a funeral service for Mr. Baker will take place
Wednesday at the A. A. Rayner and Sons Funeral Home, 318 E. 71st St.,
at 2 p.m., preceded by a visitation from 1-2 p.m.

Posted at 01:32:46 PM August 12, 2010

Comments

I was fortunate to work with Tab twice on play readings, and was
impressed with his talent and his generosity. He radiated love and
optimism, and he will be dearly missed.

Posted by: Jennifer | August 12, 2010 at 02:06 PM

Thank you Chris for posting this. Tab was a beloved actor and teacher.
His performances were amazing. He was also a friend to many. A true
trailblazer for young actors to follow in his path. Flights of angles
sing thee to thy rest dear friend.

Posted by: Anon | August 12, 2010 at 03:10 PM

Only worked with him once, on a show maybe 10 years ago now, but it
was one of my first paid theatre gigs, and he could not have been more
free with information, patient with my questions, gracious when I went
up, or generous of spirit--not to mention incredibly talented. I would
see him once in a blue moon after that, and he always remembered me
and was kind. That's all that you could ever hope for in a person. He
will be missed by many more people than he could possibly have
imagined. Rest peacefully, Tab, and may God comfort the so many people
you touched.

Posted by: JVM | August 12, 2010 at 06:19 PM

What a beautifully written Obit for a truly beautiful Man. Terry Tab
Baker was my former husband and forever friend. We just had a great
telly conversation two weeks ago and we laughed and laughed. Fare thee
well friend...May Peace Be Upon Your Soul!

Posted by: Connie Bennett | August 12, 2010 at 07:52 PM