Opal Courtney Jr., original member of the Spaniels, 71

La N

Sep 20, 2008, 8:54:58 PM9/20/08

Original member of the Spaniels dies at age 71
(http://www.post-trib.com/news/1174626,courtney.article)

September 20, 2008

BY BOB KOSTANCZUK Post-Tribune staff writer

GARY -- Opal Courtney Jr., an original member of the legendary Spaniels, was
found dead Thursday in his Gary home.

He was 71. The singer's daughter, Mona Courtney, said her father died of a
heart attack.

Part of one of rhythm and blues' seminal vocal groups, Courtney sang on the
original recording of "Goodnight Sweetheart, Goodnight." An R&B hit in 1954,
the Spaniels' lovely street-corner song is considered a classic of the
doo-wop genre.

Courtney also sang on "Baby, It's You," a national R&B hit for the
Gary-based Spaniels in 1953. The song helped launch Vee Jay Records, a
trailblazing black-owned label, formed in Gary.

"He had a real high tenor voice," said Gary's Willie C. Jackson, an original
Spaniel.

"His voice always cut through; it was very clear," noted Gary's Wilton
Crump, a latter-day singer and musical director for the Spaniels.

Courtney, who could also sing baritone, was preceded in death last year by
James "Pookie" Hudson, lead singer and songwriter for the Spaniels.

In 1991, the Spaniels received a Pioneer Award from the Rhythm and Blues
Foundation of the Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.

Funeral arrangements are being handled by Guy & Allen Funeral Directors in
Gary. Funeral services are scheduled for 11 a.m. Tuesday at Christ Baptist
Church, 4700 E. 7th Ave., Gary.

Contact Bob Kostanczuk at 648-3144 or bkost...@post-trib.com.

Message has been deleted

nixi...@earthlink.net

Sep 21, 2008, 1:47:35 AM9/21/08
On Sep 20, 10:41 pm, "A" <a...@att.net> wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> "La N" <nilita2004NOS...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > Original member of the Spaniels dies at age 71
> > (http://www.post-trib.com/news/1174626,courtney.article)
>
> > September 20, 2008
>
> > BY BOB KOSTANCZUK Post-Tribune staff writer
>
> > GARY -- Opal Courtney Jr., an original member of the legendary Spaniels,
> > was
> > found dead Thursday in his Gary home.
>
> > He was 71. The singer's daughter, Mona Courtney, said her father died of a
> > heart attack.
>
>          "Oh, The Spaniels!"
>          --The Wolfman (Jack), "American Grafitti" (1973), before playing
> "Goodnight, Sweetheart, Goodnight"

> > Part of one of rhythm and blues' seminal vocal groups, Courtney sang on
> > the
> > original recording of "Goodnight Sweetheart, Goodnight." An R&B hit in
> > 1954,
> > the Spaniels' lovely street-corner song is considered a classic of the
> > doo-wop genre.
>
> > Courtney also sang on "Baby, It's You," a national R&B hit for the
> > Gary-based Spaniels in 1953. The song helped launch Vee Jay Records, a
> > trailblazing black-owned label, formed in Gary.
>
> > "He had a real high tenor voice," said Gary's Willie C. Jackson, an
> > original
> > Spaniel.
>
> > "His voice always cut through; it was very clear," noted Gary's Wilton
> > Crump, a latter-day singer and musical director for the Spaniels.
>
> > Courtney, who could also sing baritone, was preceded in death last year by
> > James "Pookie" Hudson, lead singer and songwriter for the Spaniels.
>
> > In 1991, the Spaniels received a Pioneer Award from the Rhythm and Blues
> > Foundation of the Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.
>
> > Funeral arrangements are being handled by Guy & Allen Funeral Directors in
> > Gary. Funeral services are scheduled for 11 a.m. Tuesday at Christ Baptist
> > Church, 4700 E. 7th Ave., Gary.
>
> > Contact Bob Kostanczuk at 648-3144 or bkostanc...@post-trib.com.- Hide quoted text -

Goodnight sweetheart well it's time to go...

(Great doo-wop song BTW)

Bill Schenley

Sep 21, 2008, 3:47:02 AM9/21/08
> Opal Courtney Jr., an original member of the
> legendary Spaniels, was found dead Thursday
> in his Gary home.

The Spaniels were on tour with Buddy Holly when, well, you know ...

Photo:
http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~campber/Spaniels1953.jpg
(Opal Courtney Jr. is the first one on the left, middle row)

Goodnight, Sweetheart, Goodnight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzC1xWX2dIA

Baby It's You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knyOYfVTeIk

La N

Sep 21, 2008, 10:12:04 AM9/21/08

"Bill Schenley" <stra...@neo.rr.com> wrote in message

I love doo wop! Thanks for the memories ...

- nilita

Message has been deleted