Health/Death Watch: Larry Gelbart, M*A*S*H genius

rshand...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2008, 7:27:22 AM12/29/08
News was received on the long weekend that Larry Gelbart, the prolific
comedy writer, director, and producer known most famously for M*A*S*H,
fell gravely ill just before the holidays from a massive stroke,
leaving him incapacitated. Sadly, doctors are telling kin that hopes
for a recovery are slim, and its probably a matter of weeks. His pals
Alan Alda and Woody Allen were among the first callers to hospital,
desperately in search of information. Larry’s last public appearance
was in Beverly Hills earlier this month when he finally received a
long-deserved due, being inducted into the Academy of Television Arts
and Sciences Hall of Fame. His many other credits include Sid Caesar’s
Show of Shows, Tootsie, Oh God, and Blame It On Rio in an award-
winning career spanning film, TV, and Broadway.

Larry Gelbart, who turned 80 last February, was also a contributing
blogger at Huffington Post, though that has been infrequent this year.
And he has not posted in a while on the alt.tv.mash Usenet group,
where he has always been a welcome and hilarious presence. Godspeed,
Elsig (Larry Gelbart)!!

Wacissa Rat

Dec 29, 2008, 9:53:40 AM12/29/08
On Dec 29, 7:27�am, rshanda407...@gmail.com wrote:
> News was received on the long weekend that Larry Gelbart, the prolific
> comedy writer, director, and producer known most famously for M*A*S*H,
> fell gravely ill just before the holidays from a massive stroke,

There is no attribution nor link with this post. One should not
assume this post is true.

J.D. Baldwin

Dec 29, 2008, 11:12:54 AM12/29/08

In the previous article, <rshand...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Larry Gelbart, who turned 80 last February, was also a contributing
> blogger at Huffington Post, though that has been infrequent this
> year. And he has not posted in a while on the alt.tv.mash Usenet
> group, where he has always been a welcome and hilarious
> presence. Godspeed, Elsig (Larry Gelbart)!!

Where "in a while" apparently means "in a few hours," as I just
verified for myself.
\ / bal...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer

Cher

Dec 29, 2008, 11:52:02 AM12/29/08
On Dec 29, 11:12�am, INVALID_SEE_...@example.com.invalid (J.D.
Baldwin) wrote:

> In the previous article, �<rshanda407...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Larry Gelbart, who turned 80 last February, was also a contributing
> > blogger at Huffington Post, though that has been infrequent this
> > year. �And he has not posted in a while on the alt.tv.mash Usenet
> > group, where he has always been a welcome and hilarious
> > presence. Godspeed, Elsig (Larry Gelbart)!!
>
> Where "in a while" apparently means "in a few hours," as I just
> verified for myself.
> --
> � _+_ From the catapult of |If anyone objects to any statement I make, I am
> _|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |quite prepared not only to retract it, but also
> \ � � �/ �bald...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer
> ***~~~~--------------------------------------------------------------------�--

Sad news indeed. God Bless him

Hyfler/Rosner

Dec 29, 2008, 12:02:45 PM12/29/08

Baldwin) wrote:

> In the previous article, ?<rshanda407...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Larry Gelbart, who turned 80 last February, was also a
> > contributing
> > blogger at Huffington Post, though that has been
> > infrequent this
> > year. ?And he has not posted in a while on the
> > alt.tv.mash Usenet
> > group, where he has always been a welcome and hilarious
> > presence. Godspeed, Elsig (Larry Gelbart)!!
>
> Where "in a while" apparently means "in a few hours," as I
> just
> verified for myself.
> --
> ? _+_ From the catapult of |If anyone objects to any
> statement I make, I am
> _|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |quite prepared not only to
> retract it, but also
> \ ? ? ?/ ?bald...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever
> made it.-T. Lehrer
> ***~~~~--------------------------------------------------------------------?--

Sad news indeed. God Bless him

I think you missed JD's point. He posted this morning on
alt.tv.mash. Or someone did whose email address is
lgel...@gmail.com.

Larc

Dec 29, 2008, 12:03:36 PM12/29/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 06:53:40 -0800 (PST), Wacissa Rat <Sacred...@aol.com>
wrote:

Unless he's had a very sudden and miraculous recovery, I'd say it's definitely
not true. He apparently posted a reply in alt.tv.mash thread "Do Nothing Till
You Hear From Me" less than an hour ago.

Larc

J.D. Baldwin

Dec 29, 2008, 12:07:02 PM12/29/08

In the previous article, Hyfler/Rosner <rel...@rcn.com> wrote:
> I think you missed JD's point. He posted this morning on
> alt.tv.mash. Or someone did whose email address is
> lgel...@gmail.com.

Same email address, header info and posting style are highly
consistent with previous posts from that address going back about a
month. (I looked at a sample of, like, ten.) No mention of health
problems or "rumors" thereof over there. I'm classifying this as 100%
hoax.

\ / bal...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer

lgel...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2008, 12:39:03 PM12/29/08

Does that mean I can stop exercising?

I'm afraid I'm still alive and kicking - at least until George W
finally finds the right door and uses it.

Larry Gelbart

La N

Dec 29, 2008, 12:44:16 PM12/29/08

<lgel...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Larry Gelbart

*******************************

I hate when that happens. I was written off a few years ago my own self, so
I can relate.

- nilita

Bill Schenley

Dec 29, 2008, 1:05:45 PM12/29/08
> Does that mean I can stop exercising?
>
> I'm afraid I'm still alive and kicking - at least
> until George W finally finds the right door and
> uses it.
>
> Larry Gelbart

Fuck. Now I gotta' redo my 2009 deadpool list.

Constant Irritant

Dec 29, 2008, 1:14:59 PM12/29/08

And somewhere in UsenetLand, a troll rubs his hands together gleefully
and exclaims, "Got one!"

CI

Message has been deleted

bway...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2008, 1:56:04 PM12/29/08
> Larry Gelbart- Hide quoted text -

Hmm, this sounds vaguely like a M*A*S*H episode - "The Late Captain
Pierce," written by Glen and Les Charles, fourth season.

See, all the best plots *do* eventually get reused.

-Tim

"Dear Dad, I am not dead. Stop. Hope you are the same. Stop. Thinking
of selling my clubs? Stop. Spending my insurance money? Stop."

R H Draney

Dec 29, 2008, 1:58:03 PM12/29/08
bway...@gmail.com filted:

>On Dec 29, 12:39=A0pm, lgelb...@gmail.com wrote:

>> On Dec 29, 4:27=A0am, rshanda407...@gmail.com wrote:
>>

>> > News was received on the long weekend that Larry Gelbart, the prolific
>> > comedy writer, director, and producer known most famously for M*A*S*H,
>> > fell gravely ill just before the holidays from a massive stroke,
>> > leaving him incapacitated. Sadly, doctors are telling kin that hopes
>> > for a recovery are slim, and its probably a matter of weeks. His pals
>> > Alan Alda and Woody Allen were among the first callers to hospital,
>> > desperately in search of information. Larry=92s last public appearance

>> > was in Beverly Hills earlier this month when he finally received a
>> > long-deserved due, being inducted into the Academy of Television Arts
>> > and Sciences Hall of Fame. His many other credits include Sid Caesar=92=

>> > Show of Shows, Tootsie, Oh God, and Blame It On Rio in an award-
>> > winning career spanning film, TV, and Broadway.
>>
>> > Larry Gelbart, who turned 80 last February, was also a contributing
>> > blogger at Huffington Post, though that has been infrequent this year.
>> > And he has not posted in a while on the alt.tv.mash Usenet group,
>> > where he has always been a welcome and hilarious presence. Godspeed,
>> > Elsig (Larry Gelbart)!!
>>
>> Does that mean I can stop exercising?
>>
>> I'm afraid I'm still alive and kicking - at least until George W
>> finally finds the right door and uses it.
>>
>> Larry Gelbart
>
>Hmm, this sounds vaguely like a M*A*S*H episode - "The Late Captain
>Pierce," written by Glen and Les Charles, fourth season.
>
>See, all the best plots *do* eventually get reused.
>
>-Tim
>
>"Dear Dad, I am not dead. Stop. Hope you are the same. Stop. Thinking
>of selling my clubs? Stop. Spending my insurance money? Stop."

And the original hoax was posted by Captain Tuttle....r

--
"You got Schadenfreude on my Weltanschauung!"
"You got Weltanschauung in my Schadenfreude!"

Message has been deleted

Laurie Mann

Dec 29, 2008, 2:03:37 PM12/29/08
>On Dec 29, 1:05 pm, "Bill Schenley" <stray...@neo.rr.com> wrote:
> > Larry Gelbart (in another group):

> > I'm afraid I'm still alive and kicking - at least
> > until George W finally finds the right door and
> > uses it.
> Fuck.  Now I gotta' redo my 2009 deadpool list.

You shouldn't have to redo too much - it's only 1 out of 40!
Besides, he is over 80 so statistics are on your side if you keep him
listed.

I don't know which information on Gelbart is true and which is false.
I do know he hasn't had a blog entry at Huffington Post in over a
year, which I thought was weird given his interest in politics. I
can't find anything from him recently on alt.tv.mash, though I read
USENET from Google which means there is often a lag before new
postings show up. He was planned to be inducted into the TV Academy
Hall of Fame on December 10, but haven't seen any post-induction press
release or interview.

Happened to watch M*A*S*H for the first time in a while last night,
and it was a particularly good episode ("Follies of the Living -
Concerns of the Dead"), about a soldier who died and whose spirit is
wandering around the unit and commenting on what's going on. Klinger
is ill (legitimately) with a kidney stone and talks to the ghost. It
looks like Gelbart didn't write it though.

Laurie

La N

Dec 29, 2008, 2:04:24 PM12/29/08

"A" <aa...@att.net> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes

> <lgel...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Dec 29, 4:27 am, rshanda407...@gmail.com wrote:
>>I'm afraid I'm still alive and kicking - at least until George W
>>finally finds the right door and uses it.
>
> Does that mean he uses the women's (bath)room? <g>

I don't know what made me think of this bit o'trivia. But, this past week
(with too much time on my hands) I read a magazine article which reported
that Ryan Seacrest will not use a potty that a woman has sat on. When he
has a hotel liaison with a woman, ferinstance, he will go downstairs to use
the lobby men's room when Nature calls.

- nilita

R H Draney

Dec 29, 2008, 2:35:57 PM12/29/08
La N filted:

>I don't know what made me think of this bit o'trivia. But, this past week
>(with too much time on my hands) I read a magazine article which reported
>that Ryan Seacrest will not use a potty that a woman has sat on.

I'm sure the feeling is mutual....r

Chuck

Dec 29, 2008, 6:35:57 PM12/29/08
On Dec 29, 7:27 am, rshanda407...@gmail.com wrote:

Oh, God! Pun intended.

Seriously, was this supposed to be funny? If so, you failed. Really,
don't people have better things to do than to make up rumors about
people dying? Actually, I can see the answer is "no," so I guess that
question can be taken as rhetorical.

Anyways, cheers to you, Mr. Gelbart! Here's to many more years of life
and happiness! Oh, and thanks for MASH. And Tootsie. And Oh, God! And
Forum. And... ah, well, you get the point. :)

~~~Chuck

Chris Marksberry

Dec 29, 2008, 6:44:15 PM12/29/08

> In the previous article, Hyfler/Rosner <rel...@rcn.com> wrote:
>> I think you missed JD's point. He posted this morning on
>> alt.tv.mash. Or someone did whose email address is
>> lgel...@gmail.com.
>
> Same email address, header info and posting style are highly
> consistent with previous posts from that address going back about a
> month. (I looked at a sample of, like, ten.) No mention of health
> problems or "rumors" thereof over there. I'm classifying this as 100%
> hoax.

bal...@panix.com|to

I seem to remember several ago Nancy Allen was accidentally reported dead on
IMDb (I think) and she kept writing to them attempting to say "I'm not
DEAD". Seems like it took quite awhile for IMDb to believe her.

Chris

Charlene

Dec 29, 2008, 11:02:28 PM12/29/08

That's not the only troll post we've had in the past two weeks.
Alfonso Antoniozzi seems to be just fine too, despite the post last
week that he was dying.

wd44

Charlene

Dec 29, 2008, 11:03:54 PM12/29/08

I hasten to add, though, that the person who posted the article here
doesn't appear to be a troll: the person who provided him or her with
the information is.

wd44

Kathi

Dec 30, 2008, 1:58:07 AM12/30/08
La N filted:

>I don't know what made me think of this bit o'trivia. But, this past week
>(with too much time on my hands) I read a magazine article which reported
>that Ryan Seacrest will not use a potty that a woman has sat on.

Yeah, girls have cooties.

.

Charlene

Dec 30, 2008, 3:28:22 AM12/30/08
On Dec 29, 1:04 pm, "La N" <nilita2004NOS...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I don't know what made me think of this bit o'trivia.  But, this past week
> (with too much time on my hands) I read a magazine article which reported
> that Ryan Seacrest will not use a potty that a woman has sat on.  When he
> has a hotel liaison with a woman, ferinstance, he will go downstairs to use
> the lobby men's room when Nature calls.

I tried to reply to this before but even Firefox couldn't handle that
snippet of gossip. It crashed and took my system with it.

I'm not sure which part of the rumour it choked on, though.

wd44

The Kentucky Wizard

Dec 30, 2008, 4:05:24 AM12/30/08
Upon receiving news that La N had made the remarks below, and after
consultations with my Joint Chiefs of Staff, being briefed by members of my
Cabinet and many telephone conversations with various World Leaders, I have
come to the following conclusions:

Since when did Ryan Seacrest start having liaisons with women?

--

Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you
with experience.

© The Wiz ®