Robert Hazard, 59, Rock Singer - wrote "Girls Just Want to Have Fun"

Ed Varner

Aug 7, 2008, 2:07:48 AM8/7/08
Wed, Aug. 6, 2008

Robert Hazard, Philly rocker, dies at 59
By Michael Klein

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Robert Hazard, 59, the Philadelphia-bred rock troubadour who wrote the
pop anthem "Girls Just Want to Have Fun," died unexpectedly Tuesday
night after surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, his
widow, Susan, confirmed today.

Mr. Hazard, who lived with his wife and two teenage sons in the
Adirondacks and in Vero Beach, Fla., last month had canceled a planned
fall tour without explanation.

Robert Hazard and the Heroes, born out of the late-1970s punk
movement, were a fixture on the local bar scene through the mid-1980s.

One night in a motel in Delaware, Mr. Hazard sat in a bathtub and in
15 minutes wrote "Girls Just Want to Have Fun," a sprightly pop tune
covered in 1983 by Cyndi Lauper. Labeled a feminist anthem, it shot to
No. 1. Miley Cyrus' remake is included on her new album, Breakout.

In an autobiography from 2003, Mr. Hazard - born Robert Rimato -
acknowledged that his father was an opera singer. "Obviously, I didn't
follow in his footsteps, but did learn a bit about music
appreciation," he wrote. "I started singing and writing songs about
about age 10. I didn't really play guitar till much later. In my teens
I would audition at coffee houses like the Second of Autumn and the
Edge" in the Philadelphia area. "I never got a job, but learned about
acoustic music by hanging out at these places listening to Eric
Andersen, Chris Smither, Jimmy Webb, and other great song writers and
poet guitar players."

From his first marriage, he had a daughter, Corrina. With Susan, whom
he married in 1986, he had sons Rex and Remy. The couple own an
antiques shop near their home in Old Forge, N.Y.

In his autobiography, Mr. Hazard recounted his big break in 1982:

"One night, we were playing a little joint called J.C. Dobbs on South
Street. Kurt Loder was in town to review the opening of a world tour
by another band called the Rolling Stones, who were playing at JFK
Stadium that same night. After the Stones concert, Kurt stopped into
Dobbs for a beer. I stayed up talking with him till 5 o'clock in the
morning. The next month, there was a two-page spread in Rolling Stone
magazine, pictures and all, raving about the band. Soon after that, we
were signed to RCA Records."

The Hazard song "Escalator of Life" charted soon after.

In more recent years, he delved into country, forming a band The
Hombres. He said his favorite shows were what he called "the stripped-
down acoustic concerts I did with my buddy Michael Pilla. I thought
these were the most rewarding and the most appreciated by my
audience."

Memorial services were incomplete today, though Susan Hazard said
something would be planned for next week in his hometown.

------
Robert Hazzard performing "Escalator of Life" :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUCEGxM1vUA

Matthew Kruk

Aug 7, 2008, 2:14:19 AM8/7/08

------
> Robert Hazzard performing "Escalator of Life" :
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUCEGxM1vUA

Great clip Ed, thanks.

Bob Feigel

Aug 7, 2008, 2:53:22 AM8/7/08
[Default] On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 06:14:19 GMT, "Matthew Kruk"
<Matthe...@Telus.net> magnanimously proffered:

On one hand, it was hard not to be impressed with all the emotion
shown by the boys and girls in the band. And what about the blond on
the keyboard? Was she waiting for her fingernail polish dry?

On the other - sarcasm aside - I listened to it again ... this time
without looking at the self-consciously kewl performance ... and it
was far more enjoyable.

Presumably, the Paul Green School of Rock will eventually teach the
kids how to perform in front of an audience.

Anyway ... here are a couple more of clips that show that Robert
Hazard was one hell of a singer. RIP

Robert Hazard and The Heros:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_SskHPXF6c&feature=related

Robert Hazard and Richard Marx:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3wbtYYZIOg&feature=related

--

"It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens." - Woody Allen

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>