Healthwatch: 'The Amazing Race 8'

Brad Ferguson

Jul 27, 2005, 4:15:46 AM7/27/05
"The Amazing Race" is a reality show in which teams of people race
around the world, perform stunts and other tasks on the way, and
attempt to hit the finish line first for a prize of $1 million. In
seven previous races, 11 teams of two people each have run the race.
For the eighth race, currently being run, four-member teams made up of
family members were organized, and the age limit for contestants was
lowered from 18 to 8.

The word from a participant in a previous race is that the current one
is going so poorly that it might be ended early, the contestants sent
home, and the race cancelled. The source says that, unlike in previous
races, the first legs of this eighth race were run inside the United
States in order to eliminate as many contestants as possible before
sending the survivors overseas. However, things have not gone well, in
part because there are little kids involved, and in part because entire
families are involved. Another factor: The show has grown popular
during the past year, and so local media are providing saturation
coverage wherever the racers show up. This unwelcome attention has
been interfering with the running of the race. The remaining racers
are being held in Belize while the producers of the show decide what to
do next.

"The Amazing Race 8" is scheduled to be shown in the U.S. and most
other places this fall.

--
FREE JUDITH MILLER

deb...@comcast.net

Jul 27, 2005, 11:45:20 AM7/27/05
Sad to hear this. "The Amazing Race" is one of the few reality shows I
can bear to watch!

Barbara Sherrill

Jul 27, 2005, 12:03:47 PM7/27/05

"Brad Ferguson" <thir...@frXOXed.net> wrote in message

> "The Amazing Race" is a reality show in which teams of people race
> around the world, perform stunts and other tasks on the way, and
> attempt to hit the finish line first for a prize of $1 million. In
> seven previous races, 11 teams of two people each have run the race.
> For the eighth race, currently being run, four-member teams made up of
> family members were organized, and the age limit for contestants was
> lowered from 18 to 8.

We have watched TAR since season one. It's been a great way to educate the
youngest on geography. When it first started he would read about each place
the teams visited. Now we are watching it out of habit.... I am sad to see
they are fighting with the family show.... I guess they didn't think this
one through enough....

David Carson

Jul 27, 2005, 1:33:29 PM7/27/05

Sadly, it looks like the show is becoming a victim of its own success,
and CBS's wanting to capitalize on it. Last season, CBS foisted two
former "Survivor" stars onto "The Amazing Race." The producers didn't
like it, but they felt that they had to go along. I don't know whose
idea it was to do a kiddie show, but it sure does sound like something
the network would come up with. I don't know any fans of the show who
are looking forward to watching it.

Brad Ferguson

Jul 27, 2005, 4:48:53 PM7/27/05
In article <3mgfe19gvs7vnf3kt...@4ax.com>, David Carson
<da...@neosoft.com> wrote:

The last few races have featured stunts that seem to have been inspired
by "Fear Factor" and other such shows. For instance, racers were
required to eat large quantities of bad food at one sitting, just so
they vomited on camera. Not good at all.

The family thing does sound like a network gimmick.

The "Survivor" people didn't help the numbers much but Rob, annoying as
he is, ran a good race. I stll think he'll come to a bad end, and in
any case he'll be bald soon. As for Amber, I have a picture of her ass
around here somewhere. She mooned a camera-toting tourist at some
airport or other, and that's a mistake these days. BTW, I've never
seen "Survivor," so I came into this whole Romber thing prejudice-free.

--
FREE JUDITH MILLER

David Carson

Jul 27, 2005, 8:19:20 PM7/27/05
On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:48:53 -0400, Brad Ferguson
<thir...@frXOXed.net> wrote:

>The last few races have featured stunts that seem to have been inspired
>by "Fear Factor" and other such shows. For instance, racers were
>required to eat large quantities of bad food at one sitting, just so
>they vomited on camera. Not good at all.

There should be no eating contests on "The Amazing Race," ever. Or
begging for money.

Barbara Sherrill

Jul 27, 2005, 8:37:29 PM7/27/05

"David Carson" <da...@neosoft.com> wrote in message

If they take your money away.. you have to do something for it...lol Should
they put the teams to work for their money if they get it taken away?

Brad Ferguson

Jul 27, 2005, 10:44:05 PM7/27/05
In article <11ega6n...@corp.supernews.com>, Barbara Sherrill
<bsherrill@ia-pdq> wrote:

I think the penalty should be an extra task or something. Maybe both
team members should have to do the road block, or something like that.

BTW, they don't take *everything* away from the team that's the last to
arrive in a non-elimination round. Women are allowed to keep a supply
of tampons.

--
FREE JUDITH MILLER

Barbara Sherrill

Jul 27, 2005, 10:53:26 PM7/27/05

"Brad Ferguson" <thir...@frXOXed.net> wrote in message

They are allowed their passports. I think an extra task that isn't too
difficult could work.. I am amazed at last season with Gretchen and Meredith
coming in 4th after having everything taken from them.

I have used this show as a teaching tool for my kids, now my youngest is 15,
he still enjoys the show. We have *caught* him many times reading about some
of the locations that they show on TAR. So if it gets him to read... the
show will be on in our home.....

allenk...@hotmail.com

Jul 27, 2005, 11:04:44 PM7/27/05

Brad Ferguson wrote:
> "The Amazing Race" is a reality show in which teams of people race
> around the world, perform stunts and other tasks on the way, and
> attempt to hit the finish line first for a prize of $1 million. In
> seven previous races, 11 teams of two people each have run the race.
> For the eighth race, currently being run, four-member teams made up of
> family members were organized, and the age limit for contestants was
> lowered from 18 to 8.
>
> The word from a participant in a previous race is that the current one
> is going so poorly that it might be ended early, the contestants sent
> home, and the race cancelled.

(snip)

> "The Amazing Race 8" is scheduled to be shown in the U.S. and most
> other places this fall.
>
> --
> FREE JUDITH MILLER

-- It's a no-brainer. Have enough faith in the audience to see the
show through and put it to air. If people stuck with the series
through the unpleasant Jonathan and Victoria saga, they'll stick with
the show beyond the Amazing Race 8, no matter how it pans out.

Assuming the show wins it's third straight Emmy (a reasonably good bet,
I would think), the network would be doing itself, its viewers and its
advertisers a disservice by not capitalizing on an Emmy-fuelled ratings
spike resulting from a win. Besides, what else is the network going to
air in that time slot?

Regardless, though, CBS should finish what it started and put the show
to air as scheduled. Simple as that.

--
Allen