Re: 60 Minutes, 21 Months Later

FDR

Jun 8, 2006, 8:18:25 AM6/8/06
Ubi, the guy was AWOL. No one ever came forward to say they even saw Bush.
As if that credibility gap wasn't enough, Bush promised us WMD in Iraq.
Yeah, where were they?

Now Bush tells us that Mexicans should assimilate into the American culture,
all the while he's singing and talking Mexican. What a failure he's been.

"Ubiquitous" <web...@polaris.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> WHIRLWIND OF CRITICISM from right wing bloggers, hate talk radio
> yackers, FOX
> News "reporters," conservative columnists, and those hollering people
> whose heads always appear in little boxes on cable discussion shows.
> None of these critics cared anything about the facts of the story,
> only about their politics.
>
> They claimed that CBS used forged documents and they repeated that
> lie so often that it stuck. The mainstream media picked it up,
> repeating bloggers' criticisms without making any serious effort to
> investigate the story. But then that would have required real legwork,
> something that very few were willing to do on this subject.
>
> As for document analysis, it is a mind-numbing and arcane discipline,
> an imperfect undertaking reserved for courtroom use, not for headlines
> or Internet political battles. DOCUMENT ANALYSIS IS CERTAINLY NOT
> MEANT
> TO BE DONE AT 11 O'CLOCK AT NIGHT BY SOMEONE WITH NO TRAINING OR
> EXPERIENCE SITTING IN FRONT OF A GLOWING COMPUTER NURSING A GRUDGE
> AND SPOILING FOR A FIGHT. But that's precisely how the right's attack
> against Dan Rather and CBS News was launched.
>
> That first anonymous analyst (who turned out to be a Republican
> activist
> lawyer) raised questions about the memo using only a single shot of a
> faxed document digitally transmitted to his computer screen. Those
> kinds
> of transmissions radically change the way a document looks. His
> analysis
> was worthless.
>
> Oh, those terrifying critics with their glowing computers! But of course
> there was nothing arcane about this; at least one of the documents was an
> obvious fake. This image, generated by blogger Charles Johnson, oscillates
> between the "memo" and an identical one typed on Microsoft Word using the
> default settings for font, tab stops, etc.:
>

> http://opinionjournal.com/best/cya.gif
>
> Mapes is right, of course, that faxing a document changes the way it
> looks,
> which is why the "original" is somewhat fuzzy. But faxing does not make a
> document created on a 1970s typewriter look exactly like a fax of a
> Microsoft Word document!
>
> Mapes's claims are too much even for many of the Angry Left PuffHo
> commenters. You have to feel sorry for someone who can't face the obvious
> truth that she was snookered by a source into believing what she wanted to
> believe. At what point, though, must we view this self-deception as
> willful
> and Mary Mapes as a perpetrator rather than a mere victim of journalistic
> fraud?
>
> --
>
> "Murtha Assesses U.S. Army as 'Broken' "--headline, Washington Times, Dec.
> 2, 2005
>
> "Al-Zawahri Says U.S. 'Broken' in Iraq"--headline, Associated Press, April

trotsky

Jun 8, 2006, 8:30:24 AM6/8/06
FDR wrote:

> Ubi, the guy was AWOL. No one ever came forward to say they even saw Bush.
> As if that credibility gap wasn't enough, Bush promised us WMD in Iraq.
> Yeah, where were they?
>
> Now Bush tells us that Mexicans should assimilate into the American culture,
> all the while he's singing and talking Mexican. What a failure he's been.

Unless his goal was to be a hypocrite, in which case he's a rousing success.

Steven L.

Jun 8, 2006, 2:46:15 PM6/8/06
Ubiquitous wrote:
> Poor Mary Mapes. She's the "60 Minutes" producer who came up with the phony
> "documents"
> the newsmagazine used in an effort to make some long-forgotten point or
> another about
> how President Bush was unpatriotic because he served in the National Guard.
> And she
> still insists the documents were real! Here she is,

No, here she isn't.

Dan Rather *formally* retracted the story on CBS News.

Let her go argue it with him, before she wastes any more of our time.

Unless and until she gets Rather to retract his retraction, this subject
is closed. Along with Holocaust denial and crashed flying saucers at
Roswell NM, it's dead and buried despite the incessant attempts of the
paranoid to resurrect it.

--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email: sdli...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net

FDR

Jun 8, 2006, 3:33:41 PM6/8/06

"Steven L." <sdli...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net> wrote in message

> Ubiquitous wrote:
>> Poor Mary Mapes. She's the "60 Minutes" producer who came up with the
>> phony
>> "documents"
>> the newsmagazine used in an effort to make some long-forgotten point or
>> another about
>> how President Bush was unpatriotic because he served in the National
>> Guard.
>> And she
>> still insists the documents were real! Here she is,
>
> No, here she isn't.
>
> Dan Rather *formally* retracted the story on CBS News.
>
> Let her go argue it with him, before she wastes any more of our time.
>
> Unless and until she gets Rather to retract his retraction, this subject
> is closed. Along with Holocaust denial and crashed flying saucers at
> Roswell NM, it's dead and buried despite the incessant attempts of the
> paranoid to resurrect it.

Then again not one person who served in that unit during Bush's "time" there
have come forward to say they saw him there. Extremely odd given that they
could have gotten an easy 10k reward.