The Deodorant Cos. Are Hiding A Big Secret

1 view

BroJack

May 28, 2003, 8:47:23 AM5/28/03

Male sweat relaxes women
Men's underarms may hold clue to new fertility drug.
HELEN R. PILCHER

Male underarms relax women and may make them more fertile.

Ladies! Looking for a way to relax? Then try sniffing a man's
underarm. New research shows that armpit sweat calms female
volunteers.

It also shifts menstrual cycles, so the discovery could give rise to
perspiration-derived drugs to manipulate female fertility.

"The underarm contains physiologically active pheromones," says
chemist George Preti of the Monell Chemical Senses Center in
Philadelpha, Pennsylvania, who led the study. These behaviour-altering
chemicals - which are common throughout the animal world - can affect
the brain, and hence our bodies, without our even realizing it.

For six hours, female volunteers were exposed to pheromones
concentrated from manly armpit odour - mercifully masked by fragrance.
Levels of luteinizing hormone, a key player in the menstrual cycle,
were monitored.

Luteinizing hormone is released from the brain in pulses - these
become larger and more frequent as a woman approaches ovulation.
Exposure to the male odour accelerated the arrival of the next hormone
rush, Preti's team found1.

The volunteers also reported feeling less tense and more relaxed as
they sniffed. Both effects may be a throwback to our impulse-primed
past, suggests Preti.

Busy hunter-gather cavemen and cavewomen may have had limited time to
enjoy each other's company. A cavewoman's reproductive system may have
evolved to be ready for her beau by shifting hormonal levels in
response to his scent, agrees pheromone researcher Charles Wysocki,
also at the Monell centre. "Women may respond to signals in the
environment that facilitate successful reproduction," he says.

Again, this is speculative, but the reported relaxing effect of male
armpit odour may also increase the chances of reproduction. A relaxed
woman is more likely to be receptive to a man, suggests Wysocki.

"This presents a dichotomy," says Ivanka Savic from the Karolinska
Institute in Stockholm, Sweden, who studies the effects of pheromones
on the brain. The perceived free will of modern-day dating may be
compromised by our ancestor's needs. "Our biology is primitive but
we're living in a sophisticated world," she says.

The findings may be good news for couples wanting to maximize their
chances of conception. Once the active pheromones have been identified
and isolated, researchers may be able to modify them to produce a new
generation of potent fertility drugs, Preti speculates. In the search
for new drugs, "people have looked in the rainforests and under the
seas", he says. "But there are some very interesting physiologically
active chemicals under the arm."

References
Preti, G. et al. Male axillary extracts contain pheromones that affect
pulsatile secretion of luteinizing hormone and mood in women
recipients. Biology of Reproduction, 68, 2107 - 2103, (2003).
|Homepage|

http://www.nature.com/nsu/030527/030527-2.html

Donna

May 28, 2003, 7:47:00 PM5/28/03
bro...@windswept.org (BroJack) wrote in message news:<f911496e4d2bdebd88a374931aff1557@TeraNews>...

> Male sweat relaxes women
> Men's underarms may hold clue to new fertility drug.
> HELEN R. PILCHER
>
> Male underarms relax women and may make them more fertile.
>
> Ladies! Looking for a way to relax? Then try sniffing a man's
> underarm. New research shows that armpit sweat calms female
> volunteers.

I guess it was this or becoming a Walmart greeter, eh, Jack?
Donna

brojack

May 29, 2003, 10:56:45 AM5/29/03

One reason I hate Mexican food is that they douse it with cumin which
smells like stale armpits. Now comes a study that shows that females
are relaxed, even turned on, by the smell of stale male 'pits. So I
reckon that society's unloved, unwanted losers will forgo that daily
shower and anti-perspirant, and the rest of us will suffer from an
olfactory standpoint.

BroJack

Donna

May 29, 2003, 1:12:04 PM5/29/03
bro...@windswept.org (brojack) wrote in message news:<3ed6200d...@news.easynews.com>...

I love Mexican food, it is the only thing I know how to cook well, and
I grew up on it in Arizona. Don't know where you've been eating your
Mexican food, but I never once smelled stale armpits coming out of a
burrito. And cumin... should be well combined and not remind one of
body odor.

Tell ya what... in Arizona there is a place called... Black Canyon, if
I recall... and a couple of guys used to have a shack/restaurant
there... right smack dab in the desert a little while off the highway.
It didn't have a name. The hand-painted sign on the side of the
building just said: Food. Sometimes the place is there, sometimes it
isn't. But every time I went through there hungry, there it was. Some
of the food is Mexican and some of it is native stuff I never heard
of, but all of it was delicious, and who cares what it was called. So
what they do, these two brothers... see... is they take indian fry
bread and pile it up with refried beans, chipped beef and peppers and
cheese and tomatoes and homemade salsa and all kinds of other good
stuff. Of course... you might have to share with a lizard or two
because the windows don't have any glass, the curtains can't keep em
out, and they just crawl right inside when the cooking is going on.
Hanging out on the ledge there by your table. Soaking in some rays. So
anyways... you go inside and at first it seems like no one is there
because everything is really quiet, and really you are pretty much out
in the middle of 'nowhere'. But that's only because the brothers
already know you've arrived and they are back in the kitchen getting
things fired up. Now at first you might feel a little uncomfortable
because of all the good service. The minute you pull out a chair and
sit down, those brothers are right there making sure you have
everything you need. Water, napkins, coffee or tea, menu... you name
it. If it's a hot day you get a whole pitcher of water on your table -
and this is an area that doesn't see a lot of water coming down, if
you know what I mean. So that water is kinda like gold when you're in
the right frame of mind. Once you're all situated, you start hearing
music. It must come from the kitchen. Sounds like it's coming from
outside, but it couldn't be, so it must be the kitchen. Just a nice
soft rhythmic sound with a slight melody behind it, like a flute...
maybe. Or some other kind of wind instrument, who knows, I never did
figure it out. Both brothers bring your food, and the one who cooks
sorta hovers around for awhile. He is anxious to see that you like it.
The plate is huge, and that fry bread is clear to the edge and piled
with every fresh good thing you can imagine on a dish of Mexican food.
You don't even notice until you've somehow managed to get through half
your meal that the plate is handpainted and fired in a beautiful
design of blue and coral. You forget about the lizards, or the fact
that the brothers are standing off to the side watching you take each
bite, questioning you with their eyes. After you've nodded and smiled
a few times to let them know how wonderful it all is, you get a little
'lost' in the whole experience. Wherever you were an hour ago, you're
in a whole 'nuther world now, Jack.

Don't know if that place is still there, but I've always given it a
four star rating. :)

No one has topped it yet.

Donna

Unknown

May 29, 2003, 1:42:02 PM5/29/03

There used to be a place in Black Canyon City that sold pies. I remember my
parents taking me there a couple of times on road trips when I was a kid and
we would stop for the best pies you can imagine. Right in the middle of
Black Canyon City, which is a pretty place in the winter and nasty hot in
the summer.

The Mexican resteraunt you describe is like so many in Arizona. Little
family places that have killer salsa, and good bowls of red and green chili.
One of my favorites used to be in Hayden, it was a place called Casa
Rivera. Had a salsa bar and inexpensive dishes that were a combination of
fire and unique flavors. Unfortunately it burned to the ground a couple of
years ago. The Guayo's El Rey in Globe is another place for great Mexican
food. Pinetop has the El Rancho which is pretty good. All little mom and
pops.

Lately my wife and I have been going to these little taco carts in Tucson.
Mexican immigrants from deep in Mexico make these amazing dishes. My
favorite is the Sonoran hot dogs with bacon wrapped around the dog and then
beans, guacamole, mustard, catsup, mayonnaise, salsa, and cheese are placed
on top. Sounds bad, and it is bad for you, but the flavor is amazing.

<SNIP>

> Donna

Lridge164

May 29, 2003, 4:05:43 PM5/29/03
In article <25848a52.03052...@posting.google.com>,
don...@collinscom.net (Donna) writes:

>I guess it was this or becoming a Walmart greeter, eh, Jack?
>Donna

bro aint qualified fer dat job,

bcuz he cudnt force his self

to great all da shoppers

BroJack

May 29, 2003, 5:02:04 PM5/29/03

What's fry bread?

BroJack

Sunsite

May 29, 2003, 5:49:04 PM5/29/03
On Thu, 29 May 2003 17:42:02 GMT, "Jack Strong" <> wrote:

>Lately my wife and I have been going to these little taco carts in Tucson.
>Mexican immigrants from deep in Mexico make these amazing dishes. My
>favorite is the Sonoran hot dogs with bacon wrapped around the dog and then
>beans, guacamole, mustard, catsup, mayonnaise, salsa, and cheese are placed
>on top. Sounds bad, and it is bad for you, but the flavor is amazing.

Aren't those little carts super! I went to Mexico with college friends
and ate at those street carts. My friends kept seriously hassling me
over and over that I would get sick. But I just kept giving the folks
my dimes and quarters and happily eating my fill without any problems.
The various stuff all tasted great.

Donna

May 30, 2003, 6:49:01 PM5/30/03
"Jack Strong" <> wrote in message news:<3ed64...@corp.newsgroups.com>...

Those carts weren't around when I lived there, but they sound great!
Okay... now I am getting really hungry for some good Mexican food. :)
Thanks for sharing that, Jack. I've been in all those places you
mentioned, brings back some really good memories. Hey... by chance did
you ever get to go to Jerome before it became a tourist spot?

Donna

May 30, 2003, 6:54:35 PM5/30/03
bro...@windswept.org (BroJack) wrote in message news:<3ed67534...@news.meganetnews.com>...

It is fried bread, kinda like an elephant ear, but better if it's made
right. Here in Wyoming and South Dakota, you can even get fry bread
mix in the store (just add water, hahaha). People love it but don't
always know how to make it very well. If you are a good boy and start
giving up on the 'hate agenda' maybe I will send you some one day.

Geez... I must be in a good mood or something.

Donna

Unknown

May 30, 2003, 9:12:56 PM5/30/03

Good luck in your neck of the woods finding decent Mexican food. Anywhere
outside the southwest doesn't have Mexican food worth paying for. Might as
well make your own.

> Thanks for sharing that, Jack. I've been in all those places you
> mentioned, brings back some really good memories. Hey... by chance did
> you ever get to go to Jerome before it became a tourist spot?

Nah, that's way before my time. Been there once in my teen years, and
looked through all the rock shops, etc. It was very touristy, but not as
much as Sedona. In general I don't have much reason to go that way since
it's in a part of the state that isn't easy to access from Whiteriver. To
get to Jerome from Whiteriver probably takes over 6 hours.

brojack

May 31, 2003, 8:14:09 AM5/31/03
On 30 May 2003 15:54:35 -0700, don...@collinscom.net (Donna) wrote:

>>BroJack asked:
>> What's fry bread?

>It is fried bread, kinda like an elephant ear, but better if it's made
>right. Here in Wyoming and South Dakota, you can even get fry bread
>mix in the store (just add water, hahaha). People love it but don't
>always know how to make it very well. If you are a good boy and start
>giving up on the 'hate agenda' maybe I will send you some one day.

Don't put any armpit cumin spice in it.

Also, I don't like salsa.

Also, I don't like anything hot, like hot peppers.

BroJack

Sunsite

May 31, 2003, 10:49:27 AM5/31/03
On Sat, 31 May 2003 12:14:09 GMT, bro...@windswept.org (brojack)
wrote:

Whoa...first the 'hate agenda' has to go before you can place an
order.

If you're not in Donna's country, the easiest way to get fry bread is
at a powwow when there's one near you at a public school or college.
See http://powwows.com for a calendar. There are stands where you can
buy fry bread dishes. I've had it 4 times this month. When piled high
with other things, it sticks to your ribs - I had it in midday and
skipped dinner. You have to leave the 'hate agenda' in the parking lot
tho first, or your fry bread will turn out greasy.

BroJack

May 31, 2003, 1:09:34 PM5/31/03
On Sat, 31 May 2003 14:49:27 GMT, Sunsite <sun...@firetrick.net>
wrote:

>On Sat, 31 May 2003 12:14:09 GMT, bro...@windswept.org (brojack)
>wrote:

>>>It is fried bread, kinda like an elephant ear, but better if it's made
>>>right. Here in Wyoming and South Dakota, you can even get fry bread
>>>mix in the store (just add water, hahaha). People love it but don't
>>>always know how to make it very well. If you are a good boy and start
>>>giving up on the 'hate agenda' maybe I will send you some one day.
>>
>>Don't put any armpit cumin spice in it.
>>
>>Also, I don't like salsa.
>>
>>Also, I don't like anything hot, like hot peppers.
>
>Whoa...first the 'hate agenda' has to go before you can place an
>order.

If having a hate agenda means that everybody should be treated the
same, then I'll keep the agenda.

And just eat healthy whole grain bread which has minimum oils and
fats.

BroJack

Sunsite

May 31, 2003, 1:41:57 PM5/31/03
On Sat, 31 May 2003 17:09:34 GMT, bro...@windswept.org (BroJack)
wrote:

>If having a hate agenda means that everybody should be treated the
>same, then I'll keep the agenda.

Now wait a minute...

You've said in the past that your big beef is when minorities get
special treatment for apparently no other reason than non-white skin.
Here you're saying just the opposite - that you have an issue with
everyone being treated the same with no special benefits. What's it
going to be? I'm confused.

>And just eat healthy whole grain bread which has minimum oils and
>fats.

Fry bread does not appear to be super healthy by itself, although the
"Indian Taco" for instance is good for you since it adds a big pile of
salad fixins plus maybe some beans, meat, and/or cheese - all the food
groups in one dish. The Indian Tacos I had recently were about 10" in
diameter piled nearly 3" high - a days food in one shot.

brojack

May 31, 2003, 4:24:58 PM5/31/03
On Sat, 31 May 2003 17:41:57 GMT, Sunsite <sun...@firetrick.net>
wrote:

>On Sat, 31 May 2003 17:09:34 GMT, bro...@windswept.org (BroJack)
>wrote:
>
>>If having a hate agenda means that everybody should be treated the
>>same, then I'll keep the agenda.
>
>Now wait a minute...
>
>You've said in the past that your big beef is when minorities get
>special treatment for apparently no other reason than non-white skin.
>Here you're saying just the opposite - that you have an issue with
>everyone being treated the same with no special benefits. What's it
>going to be? I'm confused.

Everyone should be treated the same; it should be a color-blind
society, like Martin Luther King said. If that's a hate agenda,
tough.

>>And just eat healthy whole grain bread which has minimum oils and
>>fats.
>
>Fry bread does not appear to be super healthy by itself, although the
>"Indian Taco" for instance is good for you since it adds a big pile of
>salad fixins plus maybe some beans, meat, and/or cheese - all the food
>groups in one dish. The Indian Tacos I had recently were about 10" in
>diameter piled nearly 3" high - a days food in one shot.

Meat and cheese should be used sparingly, and only the low fat or
non-fat varieties.

BroJack

Sunsite

May 31, 2003, 4:36:37 PM5/31/03
On Sat, 31 May 2003 20:24:58 GMT, bro...@windswept.org (brojack)
wrote:

>Everyone should be treated the same; it should be a color-blind
>society, like Martin Luther King said. If that's a hate agenda,
>tough.

OK, this wording could be viewed two ways in your earlier post.

Anuh1

Jun 3, 2003, 12:05:25 AM6/3/03
In article <aqphdvseu3fl1ml3g...@4ax.com>, Sunsite
<sun...@firetrick.net> writes:

>Fry bread does not appear to be super healthy by itself, although the
>"Indian Taco" for instance is good for you since it adds a big pile of
>salad fixins plus maybe some beans, meat, and/or cheese - all the food
>groups in one dish. The Indian Tacos I had recently were about 10" in
>diameter piled nearly 3" high - a days food in one shot.

And possibly two days worth of calories!!! ;-D

Unknown

Jun 2, 2003, 12:12:03 AM6/2/03

This reminds me of when the IHS health officer back home got the great idea
to start a public campaign to get people to make their frybread smaller. As
you probably know the women back home take the size of their frybread very
seriously and the campaign failed miserably.

Sunsite

Jun 3, 2003, 12:29:58 AM6/3/03
On 03 Jun 2003 04:05:25 GMT, an...@aol.com (Anuh1) wrote:

>And possibly two days worth of calories!!! ;-D

I bet, but it tasted real good. I liked it more than the high class
expensive food we had for Mother's Day at a fancy joint on that same
weekend. I wound up with 4 days calories in two days.

Duane Hoberg

Jun 4, 2003, 8:49:22 AM6/4/03
Sigh!!!!!!!...(whimper!)

Natural I had to come accross this post when I'm on a DIET!!!!!!!!

Arrrrrgh!...lol

Kris...who has never tasted fry bread but now she WANTS IT!!! <g!>