Jimmy Buffet Vs. Sammy Hagar

Keith Richards

Aug 29, 2007, 1:36:23 AM8/29/07
This is a repost I made from last year and set Rushgedlife off with a fury
of Jim Dandy quotes.

Without inheriting his fame from Roth and ripping off Jimmy Buffet, Sammy
Hagar would be just another 80's loser ala Rick Sprigfield.

----------

You gotta love Sammy - the Great Imitator!

Sammy wasn't "influenced" by Jimmy Buffett, he totally ripped him off!

Check it out:

http://www.margaritaville.com/index.php?page=aboutjimmy

"Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville. A state of mind is now a state of
being. But how did Margaritaville come into a "state of being?" better
yet, how did Margaritaville become a "state of mind?" How could some
guy armed only with writers instruments; a pen and a legal pad, create
all that is "Margaritaville?""

Compare to Sammy saying:

"The way I live my life is the CaboWabo lifestyle. I own the company
if you know what I mean. The CaboWabo lifestyle is pretty much, spicy
food, margaritas and shots, having fun, a lot of beach time."

Compare Cabo Wabo in Cabo and Tahoe to "Margaritaville" in Cancun and
Las Vegas (among others):

http://www.margaritaville.com/index.php?page=cafes

Compare Cabo Wabo tequila to "Margaritaville" tequila:

http://www.margaritavilletequila.com/

Compare Sammy's Redheads to Buffett's "Parrotheads"

http://www.margaritaville.com/index.php?page=parrot

Compare Waboutique to Buffett's "Flip Flop Shop"

http://www.margaritaville.com/index.php?page=shop

Compare Livin' It Up (complete with pre-show party village) Tour to
Buffet's Party At The End Of The World tour - complete with shorts
onstage with band:

http://www.margaritaville.com/index.php?page=tour

Compare the song Mas Tequila to Margaritaville:

Takin' a weekend trip down to Baja, Mexico!
Where you can drink the water, but don't ya eat the ice,
Take your vitamin "T" with salt 'n lemon slice ...

to:

Wasted away again in Margaritaville,
Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt
A Mexican cutie, how it got here
I haven't a clue.

Compare "Radio Margaritaville" to Sammy's new Radio station.

----

Compare Waboritas Band to Coral Reefer band (complete with black guy
and a girl):

http://www.margaritaville.com/index.php?page=crband

Compare redrocker.com to you guessed it, Buffett's online state of
mind complete with beaches, spicy food margaritas and shots:

http://www.margaritaville.com

Quotes about Sammy's ripoff of Margaritaville:

"I think Jimmy is a genius because he found this shit before anybody else
did. He gives me some advice from time to time and I think Jimmy is The Man.
He is the Godfather and I am like his step-son or something." - Sammy Hagar

"Hagar's a buffoon. He is Jimmy Buffet Lite." - Jeff Lyons, usedwigs.com

"Newer songs from the latest "Livin' It Up!' release remind me a modern-day
Jimmy Buffet!" - www.rockeyez.com

"He's the Jimmy Buffet of the hard rock world" - unratedmagazine.com

"Hagar succeeds here by nimbly channeling the Ghost of Jimmy Buffet" - Jerry
McCulley, Amazon

"Living It Up" sounds like Sammy's failed attempt at being the new Jimmy
Buffett, even the cover art looks like a Buffett record." - mfnrocks.com

"Since his departure from Van Halen in 1996, Hagar has reinvented himself as
the Jimmy Buffet of rock 'n' roll." - Buffalo News

"After spending several postVan Halen years creating a strange kind of
populist party image for himself (something like a republican heavy metal
Jimmy Buffet)" - Vincent Jeffries, All Music Guide

"Let's hope for Hagar's sake that singer David Lee Roth doesn't start his
own distillery. Chances are, he'd be better at that, too." - spokane7.com

"It feels as if he's covering a Jimmy Buffett song that doesn't yet exist
and "Hagar-izing" it. There's already enough covers on the album, so its a
let down." - 411mania.com

Rushgedlife

Aug 29, 2007, 9:44:21 AM8/29/07
So the Jim Dandy comparison got to you, eh?

It's simple:

Sammy bought a cantina in Mexico (NOT Key West).

He decided to christen a new tequila and try to sell 10,000 cases the
first year. He sold OVER 30,000!

The Mexican cantina on the beach lifestyle influenced Sammy. Not a Key
West folk hero.

You have to admit, sipping tequila on the beach in Cabo San Lucas is
much more glamourous than trying to score weed in Central Park.

T.B.

Aug 29, 2007, 12:37:51 PM8/29/07
"Rushgedlife" wrote:

That's debatable.

T.B.

**Bigstick**

Aug 29, 2007, 2:45:00 PM8/29/07

> This is a repost I made from last year and set Rushgedlife off with a fury
> of Jim Dandy quotes.
> Without inheriting his fame from Roth and ripping off Jimmy Buffet, Sammy
> Hagar would be just another 80's loser ala Rick Sprigfield.

The Roth hens are roositng in the Van Halen hen house ... looking for a
cock.
"cluck" "cluck" "cluck"

Keith Richards

Aug 29, 2007, 5:06:56 PM8/29/07

"Rushgedlife" <Rushg...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> So the Jim Dandy comparison got to you, eh?

I don't know why Rusty protests you being his imposter.

You sound just like him.

TW

Aug 29, 2007, 11:45:39 PM8/29/07

Right now, everything the "Roth hens" have been stating for the past
23 years is now being vindicated with this highly successful tour.

All the sold out shows, the press, the publicity.... and as if the
success of this tour wasn't confirmation enough, we can mathematically
compare this to the 2004 Bore Tour failure. Poodlers were praying
that this day would never come, but now that Roth is back into the
mix, the truth is being exposed.

No more can they make excuses about albums being re-released on CD.

No more can they gloat about all the Hagar era albums being #1 and all
the Roth era albums not being #1.

No more can they brag that Roth joining Van Halen today would be
worthless because nobody cares about Roth anymore.

Anytime a Poodler brings up these points, all we have to do is mention
this tour and the argument is over.

So really, don't talk about the "Roth fans". We are doing just fine.
But I hear the apocalypse coming over Poodle-town...

**Bigstick**

Aug 30, 2007, 11:52:50 AM8/30/07

>Right now, everything the "Roth hens" have been stating for the past
>23 years is now being vindicated with this highly successful tour.
>All the sold out shows, the press, the publicity....

And only one more milestone to achieve:
Actually performing without being laughed off the stage.

The Roth Hens are nervous.

Keith Richards

Aug 30, 2007, 5:22:33 PM8/30/07

"TW" <slap_gu...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>Right now, everything the "Roth hens" have been stating for the past
>23 years is now being vindicated with this highly successful tour.
>
>All the sold out shows, the press, the publicity.... and as if the
>success of this tour wasn't confirmation enough,

Have you seen all the Rusgedlife "Jim Dandy" posts today?

LMAO

This is all he has left.

The guy has shot his wad - he's lost every argument, found out the Bros.
"raped" Sammy over the Cabo Wabo brand, found out his idol is "Jimmy Buffet
Lite" and is crushed Van Roth tickets are selling out everywhere.

FOOL PANIC MODE - it's a beautiful thing to watch!

-----

"Believe me," lamented the Red Rocker, "the papers I had to sign with the
(Van Halen) brothers to get the club was a really shit deal for me. The
terms were unbelievable. "If I ever brought the concept to the United States
and tried to franchise it, they would get fifty percent of the profits
forever. That same deal also extended to anything associated with the Cabo
Wabo name. I had to agree to all these conditions, otherwise there was no
deal." - Sammy Hagar on buying the Cabo Wabo

RMZ

Aug 31, 2007, 10:41:16 AM8/31/07

So I take it you're not a Jimmy Buffet fan.

lab~rat >:-)

Sep 4, 2007, 1:35:12 PM9/4/07
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 05:36:23 GMT, "Keith Richards" <k...@nothere.com>
puked:

>Sammy wasn't "influenced" by Jimmy Buffett, he totally ripped him off!

I don't know who stole what from who, but as a Native Floridian, I
think Jimmy Buffett sucks. Why the hell don't people realize that he
plays country music?

--
lab~rat >:-)
Stupid humans...

TW

Sep 4, 2007, 3:02:12 PM9/4/07
On Sep 4, 1:35 pm, "lab~rat >:-)" <ch...@sheeze.net> wrote:

> I don't know who stole what from who, but as a Native Floridian, I
> think Jimmy Buffett sucks. Why the hell don't people realize that he
> plays country music?

More importantly, why on earth do they keep playing "Wasted Away In
Marguiritaville" on my favorite classic rock radio station?

I think that, along with the following songs, should be banned from
classic rock radio stations:

You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet
All Right Now
Blinded By The Light (Manfred Mann)
Keep On Rockin' Me Baby
Take It Easy
Don't You Know You'll Be A Shootin' Star
Foreplay/Long Time
Love Hurts

And probably two hundred more that receive unnecessarily airplay over
and over and over again.

Message has been deleted

The Chris

Sep 4, 2007, 10:21:01 PM9/4/07
TW <slap_gu...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1188932532.932250.312670
@r29g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

Dude, any list without 'Stairway to Heaven', 'Sweet Home Alabama', or
'Sharp-Dressed Man'.... ain't a list :)

Though, I could listen to Foreplay/Long Time forever...