YouTwo.net: May 8, 2002 (long)

Prarit

May 8, 2002, 10:59:51 PM5/8/02
To subscribe to this semi-weekly newsletter send an email with
"subscribe" as the SUBJECT, and your email address in the
BODY to subs...@youtwo.net. Newsletters will be sent every
Wednesday and Sunday.

To unsubscribe send an email with "unsubscribe" as the
SUBJECT, and your email address in the BODY to
subs...@youtwo.net.

Be your own Boss and Work from Home.
Click here to get FREE Information on
how you can make up to $4000 per Week!!
http://psstt.com/1/c/71054/46341/174418/174418

New Stories:

UPI: O'Neill urges debt ceiling increase (5-8-2002)
WBWC.com: Cleveland College Radio Station Announces The U2002 Marathon
(5-8-2002)
Hot Press: Flying Off the Handle (5-8-2002)
Rolling Stone: Stones Ready to Roll (5-8-2002)
Daily Record: Pop Idols or Simply Idle Rich? (5-8-2002)
Irish Independent: The Clarence wins '100 Best Places to Stay in Ireland' Award
(5-8-2002)
Mirror: Election 2002: Labour's Daydream (5-7-2002)
Scotsman: U2 holiday loses to Midsummer's Day in poll (5-7-2002)
Belfast Telegraph: Woman 2 Woman: Fiona Hurley at large (5-7-2002)
ChartAttack: Kravitz wins Microsoft Windows Media Innovation Award (5-7-2002)
Irish Independent: Forget the policies, just think holidays (5-7-2002)
Sunday Telegraph: May 10th birthday horoscope (5-6-2002)
London Times: The Ivor Novello awards (5-6-2002)
Scotsman: Oasis take cue from U2 (5-6-2002)
Observer: McCartney's tour compared to U2's tour (5-6-2002)
Launch: Sweetest Thing on 'Mr. Deeds' Soundtrack (5-6-2002)
Guardian: My New Media: Richard Davies (5-6-2002)
Reuters: Myanmar Releases Democracy Leader Suu Kyi (5-6-2002)
The People: The Cops Check Bar as Singer Sleeps On (5-5-2002)
The People: U2 Bono Launches Blast at Church (5-5-2002)
Irish Sunday Mirror: Paul Kangley's link to the stars (5-5-2002)

UPI: O'Neill urges debt ceiling increase (5-8-2002)
From United Press International:

O'Neill urges debt ceiling increase
By T.K.MALOY, UPI Deputy Business Editor

WASHINGTON, May 8 - U.S. Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill urged Republican
lawmakers Wednesday
to act quickly on raising the debt ceiling for the U.S. budget.

The treasury secretary spoke to a small group of lawmakers and party officials
at the GOP's Capitol Hill
Club for a breakfast gathering of the Republican Main Street Partnership, a
coalition of party moderates.
In addition to speaking on the U.S. debt, O'Neill lauded his upcoming trip to
Africa with U2 lead singer,
Bono.

Without an increase in the federal government's $5.95 trillion debt, Uncle Sam
technically becomes in
budget default in late June when the government must make $60 billion in
payments to bondholders, in
this case part of the semiannual interest payment to trust funds, chiefly Social
Security. "We need a debt
ceiling passed, we need this pretty soon," said O'Neill of the growing deficit
spending by the federal
government.

Sharp increases for defense and homeland security after Sept. 11, along with the
ongoing effects of the
Bush tax cut, have put the administration's current fiscal-year budget and the
proposed $2.12 trillion 2003
budget into multibillion dollar deficits.

The transition into deficit spending brings an end to four years of fiscal
discipline that saw the U.S. budget
record large surpluses until recently.

According to the White House's Office of Management and Budget, the expected
budget deficits are $106
billion for the current fiscal year and $80 billion for FY 2003

The U.S. faces a June 28 deadline for increasing the debt limit or facing a
technical default on its trust fund
interest payments.

While O'Neill said he had no question that Congress would act on the matter, at
issue is how quickly
lawmakers would officially take action on raising the debt ceiling.

"It's a question of how close to the edge of the cliff that we get," said
O'Neill of the delay in passing this
necessary measure. The delay, he said, causes a loss of U.S. credibility in the
world financial markets.

Last week, the Treasury Department said in a statement: "If the statutory debt
ceiling has not been raised by
mid-May, the Treasury will have to begin to use a number of stopgap devices to
manage debt, subject to
limit which have been previously utilized under established legal authority."

While the Bush administration asked for a permanent $750 billion increase to the
debt ceiling in December,
action on this has become mired on Capitol Hill amid various ideological
opposition and party politics.

On the Republican side, many GOP lawmakers have traditionally been opposed to
increases in the debt limit,
and lawmakers on the Democratic side point to the administration's tax cut and
spending increases as
having opened the door once again to deficit spending.

O'Neill said, however, that as the slowed U.S. economy begins to gather more
expansionary strength, the
long-term federal balance sheet will be tipped back from deficit spending toward
surpluses based on the
expected increase in tax receipts.

"The trend line that we are on -- is growth back into our economic potential,"
said O'Neill.

The secretary said he saw no "structural problems" that would keep the U.S. from
returning to surpluses.

Though expecting short-term deficit spending, the administration is also
forecasting a continuing economic
upturn for 2003. According to the OMB, the U.S. economy will grow at a nearly 4
percent rate for 2003.

The economic forecasts are part of the economic assumptions used in planning the
budget as to expected
government revenue. When the economy is booming, tax receipts are up and when
the economy lags, such
as for fiscal year 2002 that began in October, receipts can take a large drop.

The OMB forecast revenue of $2.04 trillion for 2003.

In other business, O'Neill outlined his upcoming trip to Africa with U2 lead
singer Bono as part of joint mission
to bring attention to the problems of that continent's heavily indebted poor
countries.

The treasury secretary met with Bono earlier on the issue of the relieving debt
to the third world, during which
a scheduled half-hour meeting turned into an hour-and-half meeting, O'Neill
said.

Praising Bono for earlier fact-finding trips through Africa, the secretary
described the singer as "A world-famous
person who cares very much" about the problems of third-world debt, poverty, and
health care.

O'Neill said he made a deal with Bono to "show me the Africa you know, and I'll
show you the Africa I know,"
with the intention that the treasury secretary and Bono traveling together could
bring more attention to problem
areas in various African nations.

Injecting some levity into his comments, O'Neill said that to help him see
through Bono's eyes, the treasury
secretary was going to purchase a "set of blue wrap-around shades."

WBWC.com: Cleveland College Radio Station Announces The U2002 Marathon
(5-8-2002)
PRESS RELEASE
http://www.runninglate.org/marathons/u2.html
http://www.wbwc.com

April 30th, 2002
Cleveland College Radio Station Announces The U2002 Marathon

WBWC 88.3 FM The Sting, the radio voice of Baldwin-Wallace College, in
Cleveland, Ohio, announces its long-running summer marathon series.
Irish rockers U2 get the marathon treatment on Thursday, May 30, 2002,
with "U2002."

Todd Richards and Mary Cipriani -- longtime college DJs and U2 fans -- will
be co-hosting this special broadcast beginning at 7:00 a.m., and running
continuously through 1:00 a.m. the following day.

Richards is an alumni of Baldwin-Wallace, and Cipriani is an '83 alumni of
John Carroll University's WJCU 88.7FM.

The WBWC "Beautiful Day 2001" U2 marathon featured interviews with
U2 staffers Willie Williams and Joe O'Herlihy, and was reported in a story
at U2's official web site (http://www.u2.com/homepage/news200701.html).

"It was such an incredible honor to be featured on U2's web site last year,"
says Richards. "It doesn't get much better for a fan than that!"

WBWC streams audio, and listeners around the world may listen in at
http://homepages.bw.edu/~wbwc/ram/wbwc.ram. All WBWC.com audio
requires RealPlayer 8 or RealOne, which may be downloaded from
http://www.real.com/player/.

Fans may participate by requesting their favorite U2 track via email to Richards
or Cipriani.

Todd Richards tric...@bw.edu
Mary Cipriani...@cs.com

"We have an extensive U2 collection available at the campus station, so no
request for an import, b-side, remix, or soundtrack is too obscure for us to
play," says Cipriani. "Fans may specify the hour (EST) in which they'd like
to hear the song. We'll do our best to accommodate all the requests from the
emails we receive in advance."

Listeners also may call in on the studio request line at 440-826-2187 on the
day of the marathon.

"In 2001, we received dozens of emails from around the world," says Cipriani.
"We were amazed by the response of U2 fans listening in."

WBWC is licensed as non-commercial, educational, FM radio station to
Baldwin-Wallace College under the authority of the Federal Communications
Commission. In 1958, WBWC signed on as the first totally student funded and
operated radio station in the United States. WBWC began its popular summer
marathon series more than 20 years ago, featuring one artist's music all day
every Thursday throughout the summer.

Other marathons planned for this summer include Simple Minds, Steely Dan,
Genesis, Pearl Jam, The Beatles, Beach Boys, and Joe Jackson.

Hot Press: Flying Off the Handle (5-8-2002)
From Hot Press:

Flying Off the Handle
I was very, very drunk at the time

The buck stopover's here

I have done things I am profoundly ashamed of while drunk. From time to time,
having unburdened
myself of the fetters of polite society, I have said or done things to other
people that I really regret.
Nasty things. Spiteful things. Cruel things. Things that make me cringe with
shame in the cold light
of day.

When making my groveling apologies in the wake of such errors of impaired
judgement, I am
probably not alone in pleading that "I was drunk and didn't mean it". Of course,
nothing could be
further from the truth because while drunkenness is often the reason for these
social indiscretions,
it is rarely a plausible excuse.

Although you have to go through the motions, everyone knows the I Was Drunk And
Didn't Mean It
defence is bullshit -- damage limitation of the highest order. You can say it
until your balls turns blue,
but the fact remains that even though you acted out of character and regret it,
you are still responsible
for your actions and probably meant whatever it was you said or did at the time.
(After all, why else
would you have gone to the trouble of urinating in your ex's letterbox? Yes, I'm
talking to you, girls.)
At least that was my firm belief before studying the transcript of the recent
court case of Peter Buck,
lead guitarist with REM.

Not renowned as one of the more unhinged practitioners of the noble art of rock
'n' roll, Buck was
flying from Seattle to London and had taken a sleeping pill before the
transatlantic flight. Within three
hours of boarding the plane he had consumed 16 glasses of red wine.

By the time he was arrested at Heathrow and charged with being drunk on an
aircraft, assaulting
crew members and of damaging British Airways property, assorted eye witnesses
alleged that he
had helped himself to several glasses of wine from the airplane's galley without
permission; got
accidentally wedged between two seats, a position from which he had to be
extricated by cabin
crew; punched the wall of the plane in anger; attempted to sit beside a lady in
Club Class whom he
falsely accused of being his wife; drenched the cabin services director and a
stewardess with
yoghurt and subsequently assaulted the be-yoghurted director by attempting to
strangle him with
his tie.

It was also alleged that he had mistaken the hostess trolley for a hi-fi system
and attempted to play
a CD on it, before overturning it in frustration, scattering plates, cutlery,
food and condiments. For
his coup de grace, eye-witnesses reported that Buck then accused the cabin crew
of being on
drugs before announcing that "I am REM and can make up a story that you
assaulted me." A written
warning issued by the captain of the flight is alleged to have been torn up and
thrown away.

Buck did not deny any of this and, by all accounts, was "extremely apologetic
and extremely
embarrassed" upon having his collar felt. He did not remember what he had done
and claimed as
his defence that he did not know what he was doing because he took a number of
powerful
sleeping pills with his wine.

The Crown argued that he was "paralytic from choice, and whether or not he took
the pills makes
no difference whatsoever to his culpability."

Buck was found not guilty, acquitted of all charges and left Isleworth Crown
Court a free and visibly
relieved man.

One can only imagine that simian stoner Ian Brown was agog with indignation at
the outcome of
Buck's trial. The former Stone Rose has "previous" with BA, having been
imprisoned for six months
after threatening to cut off a stewardess's hands. Although profoundly
unpleasant, his behaviour
seems a lot less scurrilous than that which Buck claims not to remember.
However, it's worth bearing
in mind that Ian Brown did not have the lead singer of U2 batting for him in the
witness stand.
In court with Michael Stipe and other members of REM to testify on behalf of his
friend, Bono stated
that he had "never" seen Peter Buck drunk and had "absolutely never" seen him
taking drugs.

While relieved that Buck had been acquitted, Ballard Leisemann, music editor of
weekly alternative
magazine Flagpole -- published in Athens Georgia, the home of REM -- said people
who regularly
saw REM around town did not recognise the almost saintly character-witness
descriptions of Mr Buck
given by Bono and REM members Michael Stipe and Mike Mills.

"REM are not booze hounds like Guns N' Roses, Van Halen or someone, but they are
in a rock band
and they like to have a good time," mused Leisemann. "Mike Mills testified that
he has never seen
Peter Buck intoxicated, but that is just silly."

What is even sillier was something Bono said, that -- amazingly -- seems to have
gone completely
unquestioned by anyone in the courtroom. Under cross-examination by the
prosecution, he was
asked if Peter Buck liked a glass of wine from time to time. Neatly
side-stepping the question, he
replied: "Most people that are in bands don't drink if they're serious and
professional about what
they do."

You read it here first folks. Most people that are in bands don't drink if
they're serious and professional
about what they do. We believe you Bono. Thousands wouldn't.

Barry Glendenning

Rolling Stone: Stones Ready to Roll (5-8-2002)
Condensed from Rolling Stone:

Stones Ready to Roll

Jagger, Richards reveal tour surprises

"The concept is a rock tour by a rock band with guitar
players," says Mick Jagger with a laugh when asked about
the Rolling Stones' plans to hit the road again this fall.
"We're not reinventing the wheel." Indeed, like U2 and
Paul McCartney, the Stones have come up with ways to
pare down the production of their shows and concentrate
on the music. "It's a question of how much spectacle do
you want, or can the show have a beautiful, clean line?"
says Keith Richards. "I mean, how many dolls can you
blow up?"

Daily Record: Pop Idols or Simply Idle Rich? (5-8-2002)
Condensed from The Daily Record:

POP IDOLS OR SIMPLY IDLE RICH?
May 8 2002
DAILY RECORD DEBATE

After Pop Idol judge Pete Waterman, who has launched countless music careers -
not least Kylie Minogue's - accused pop stars of being greedy, Record readers
were
quick to agree. Only a few loyal fans backed the stars and said that they
deserve
their big bucksThey provide entertainment. Fair play, if they didn't, someone
else
would capitalise - D R M, Inverness.

They are only in it for the money but a lot of them give loads to charity. No
one
makes us buy their music so we can't complain - Lesley Crosby, Dundee.

Today's pop stars are overpaid and talentless. There's more talent in my
sister's
moggy - M Grant, Chryston.

Worth it? I have seen more talent at a school concert - Bob, Burntisland.

Pop stars - I wish those words were never invented. Oasis, U2 and Stereophonics
are the only stars worth talking about - Steven, Nitshill.

Irish Independent: The Clarence wins '100 Best Places to Stay in Ireland' Award
(5-8-2002)
From The Irish Independent:

Top food critic hits out at the 'dinosaur thinking' of Bord Failte chiefs

THE author of a top food and places to stay guide yesterday accused Ireland's
tourism bosses of "dinosaur thinking" over their promotion of key Irish tourist
destinations.

Bord Failte's system of simply counting tourist numbers was "dead and buried"
and
Ireland did not need and could not cope with mass-market tourism, he claimed.

Leading food critic, John McKenna, who with his wife Sally have published the
Bridgestone guides for over 10 years, said the best places to stay and eat had
shown
they did not need anyone to promote them.

"The best places in Ireland have proven numbers do not count. Interested people
who
enjoy travel and admire the unique character of the best places to stay in
Ireland are
what counts."

The U2-owned Clarence hotel was the only one in Dublin to win one of the 14 top
Icon
awards in the '100 Best Places to Stay in Ireland', which evaluates everything
from
grand resort hotels to B&Bs.

Cork figures largely among the Icon winners with the Assolas Country House,
Kanturk; Fortview House, Goleen and Longueville House, Mallow.

Other Icon winners were Ballymaloe House; Shanagarry, Buggys Glencairn Inn,
Waterford; Kelly's Resort Hotel, Rosslare; The Mustard Seed, Ballingarry;
Newport
House, Newport; Norman Villa, Galway, The Quay House, Clifden; Richmond House,
Cappoquin; Salville House, Enniscorthy and Shelburne Lodge, Kenmare.

Twenty-three new entries make the '100 Best Restaurants in Ireland' guide, with
top
Icon awards going to Dublin's The Commons, L'Ecrivain, Mermaid Cafe and
Thorntons. Six Co Cork venues are listed; Cafe Paradiso in Cork; The Customs
House, Baltimore; Fishy Fishy Cafe, Kinsale; Island Cottage, Heir Island,
Skibbereen
and Longueville House, Mallow.

Other Icon winners were Alden's, Cayenne and Restaurant Michael Deane, all in
Belfast; MacNean Bistro, Cavan; La Marine, Rosslare; Packie's, Kenmare; Shanks,
Bangor and The Tannery, Dungarvan.

Mirror: Election 2002: Labour's Daydream (5-7-2002)
From The Mirror:

ELECTION 2002: LABOUR'S DAYDREAM

A DAY dedicated to Kylie Minogue or one in honour of U2 are among the
suggestions for Labour's proposed new bank holidays, it was revealed
yesterday. Members of the public have been voting on Labour's website
for their days off.

Among the suggestions for who or what to celebrate are National
Commemoration Day on July 17 with 16 per cent of votes and
Remembrance Sunday on November 11 with 12 per cent.

The more bizarre ideas include the Battle of the Boyne holiday, A-Team
Extravaganza Day, U2 Day and the Luke Kelly weekend.

Scotsman: U2 holiday loses to Midsummer's Day in poll (5-7-2002)
Condensed from The Scotsman:

Midsummer's Day, June 21, came out on top with 28% backing, followed by St
Brigid's Day (February 1, 27%).

The National Commemoration Day for victims of conflict and the rival
Remembrance Day also did well.

Other ideas included Kylie Minogue Day, U2 Day, Bogtrotters' Day and Free Love
Day.

Belfast Telegraph: Woman 2 Woman: Fiona Hurley at large (5-7-2002)
Condensed from The Belfast Telegraph:

Woman 2 Woman: Fiona Hurley at large
Publication Date: 06 May 2002

By Fiona Hurley

Ten Square, the hotel owned by Nicholas and Paul Hill, is the place to stay in
Belfast; a unique and exclusive social nirvana where the great and talented,
not forgetting the unashamedly wealthy, can wallow in luxurious
surroundings.The Corrs and comedian Patrick Kielty are among the
impressive 300-strong membership list, and U2 recently insisted on staying
after the Hot Press Awards, considering it as a home- from-home.

United Designers - who designed U2's Dublin hotel The Clarence - are also
responsible for Ten Square and after enjoying a first class meal in the hotel's
Japanese-themed Porcelain restaurant, I went into the private members area
where the Hot Press Awards private after-show party was getting into full
swing.

The China Club was buzzing with eagle-eyed local journalists, such as Tim
Brannigan, Maureen Coleman, Paul Martin, and photographer Mark McCor-
mick, all anticipating the arrival of U2 and The Corrs.

Italian paparazzi photographer Fabrizio Belluschi, who has captured
numerous stars world-wide, was conscientiously on the scene throughout the
day.

Ruth Johnston, China's Membership Executive and General Manageress,
tactfully ensured that all those allowed entry into the inner sanctum had the
essential credentials to cope with being in the presence of greatness, ie, act
cool and blase even though a huge music icon is seated within shameless
fawning distance.

ChartAttack: Kravitz wins Microsoft Windows Media Innovation Award (5-7-2002)
Condensed from ChartAttack:

That big-assed computer company that?s slowly taking over the
world, Microsoft, has just established the biannual award that
honours acheivements in digital and technological media, with
rocker Lenny Kravitz being the first winner. According to
Billboard Bulletin, today it?s been announced that Kravitz is getting
this award beating out people like David Bowie or U2 because of
his "groundbreaking example of how to deliver music on the Internet
to his fans all over the world," so says Dave Fester, GM of Windows
media.

Irish Independent: Forget the policies, just think holidays (5-7-2002)
Condensed from The Irish Independent:

Forget the policies, just think holidays

WORKERS could be sunning themselves on Midsummers Day or making crosses
out of rushes on February 1 if Labour get into power.

The party is promising to introduce two new public holidays and it yesterday
announced the results of an internet poll on when they should be.

Some 28pc of voters are in favour of a new holiday to mark Midsummers Day on
June
21 and 27pc feel St Brigid should be remembered with a public holiday on her
feast
day, February 1.

Other suggestions included a Luke Kelly Day, a U2 Day, a National Dubs Day, an
Owen Roe O'Neill Day, a Close the country for-the-sheer-hell-of-it Day, a Free
Love
Day, Me Ma's Birthday and Bogtrotters Day.

Sunday Telegraph: May 10th birthday horoscope (5-6-2002)
Condensed from The Sunday Telegraph (Sydney):

his stars - her stars Arthur Bowman

Bono

May 10, 1960

A year of sudden opportunities for you and U2's frontman. A time when, if you're
alert, the
world is yours. This is where you add to whatever you've achieved and do things
to gladden
your own heart. Love life: superb.

London Times: The Ivor Novello awards (5-6-2002)
From The London Times:

The Ivor Novello awards

Which are the year's best songs? The Ivor Novello awards, to be presented at
London's
Grosvenor House on May 23, include gongs for both Best Song Musically and
Lyrically
and Best Contemporary Song. The nominations for the former category are Side
(Travis),
Sail Away (David Gray) and Walk On (U2); Shining Light (Ash), Clint Eastwood
(Gorillaz)
and Thank You (Dido) compete for the latter.

Scotsman: Oasis take cue from U2 (5-6-2002)
Condensed from The Scotsman:

Out went the tacky, big-budget stage sets (remember the crashed Cadillac and
red phone box of the Be Here Now tour?) and tricksy technology and in came
rock 'n' roll again. They [Oasis] took their cue from their friends U2, who had
successfully ditched the inflatable lemons of their fast-forgotten Zooropa
extravaganza to get back to their roots with All That You Can't Leave Behind.

Observer: McCartney's tour compared to U2's tour (5-6-2002)
Condensed from The Observer:

His [Paul McCartney's] current release, Driving Rain, had been written
off as a stiff by the record industry in the first few months of release.
Even an appearance at the SuperBowl, singing 'A Hard Day's Night' with
the commentators at the concert for New York's police and firefighters last
autumn, failed to arouse serious sales. But the tour, like that of U2, has
tapped the nation's pulse, and though his '(I will fight for the right to live
in)
Freedom' may be a clunker of an anthem, McCartney offers a connection
to a more certain time, namely the lost youth of baby boomers. Driving Rain 's
sales figures have soared. America is in the mood for the familiar, the
uncomplicated and sentimental, and McCartney delivers just that. 'He's been
through a lot, we've been through a lot. He was really supportive after the
attacks and Americans really appreciate that,' said fan Ruth Ellrod.

Launch: Sweetest Thing on 'Mr. Deeds' Soundtrack (5-6-2002)
Condensed from Launch:

Mr. Deeds, which stars Sandler and Winona Ryder, opens in theaters nationwide on
June 28. The complete tracklisting of the soundtrack is: "Where Are You Going,"
Dave
Matthews Band; "Sing," Travis; "Let My Love Open The Door," Pete Townshend;
"Sweetest Thing," U2; "Wrong Impression," Natalie Imbruglia; "Happy In The
Meantime,"
Lit; "Island In The Sun," Weezer; "Friends & Family," Trik Turner; "Space
Oddity," David
Bowie (vocal introduction by Adam Sandler); "Falling," Ben Kweller; "Go To
Town,"
Counting Crows; and "I've Seen All Good People," Yes.

Guardian: My New Media: Richard Davies (5-6-2002)
From The Guardian

My New Media: Richard Davies

May 5, 2002 5:52pm

INTERVIEW BY LAURA BARTON

What are your favourite websites?

Betbrain.com - that's a comparative shopper. I bet a
reasonable amount, but usually lose. Bearshare.com
- it's a Napster clone. I buy huge amount of music,
and this lets me sample before I buy. While it's not
technically legal, it does encourage me to buy more
music. I think the music industry really lost an
opportunity with Napster. And, just to blow my own
trumpet, audi.co.uk. From a design perspective, it
has stood the test of time. It's sleek - it's televisual,
really.

Last online purchase? Probably a CD - I think it was
Royksopp - from easyvalue.com. It's another
aggregate site.

Ever been in a chat room? Yes, I have, for football -
I'm a West Ham supporter. I tend to avoid them,
otherwise.

Most recent technological faux pas? I'd say buying a
Psion organiser. It just didn't offer me what I wanted, and I
ended up buying an i-pac six months
later. And ITV Digital - that was another big mistake . . .

Main news source on the web?

newsnow.co.uk. It's a fantastic news aggregator. I'm a news
junkie, I'll use it almost hourly. Every two minutes it trawls
across the web, every important media site, for news. Then
it lists it, chronologically, five minutes ago, 10 minutes ago . . .
It's fantastic to see how a story develops.

Most useful website? I'd have to say Google. More often
than not, most journeys start there.

Least useful website? Anything to do with cricket.

Do you use a screensaver?

No, I don't. I sort of get irritated by them, I've had so many
for so long. My first one was the Guinness one in 1995.

Most irritating thing about the internet? I think the hype. I
think it was blown out of all proportion. Maybe the
dotcoms epitomised that more than anything.

What type of online business is least likely to succeed? Any
that doesn't tie into a real business. Boo.com, I suppose. Fashion
online could work, but it needs to be very focused, or tie in with
an offline business.

Do you still bother with old media ? Not anywhere near as much
as I used to. I don't buy newspapers anymore, except at weekends.
And any magazines I'd read would be trade mags.

Interview by Laura Barton

Richard Davies is managing director of Good Technology, which
has created websites for, among others, Audi, Levis, U2 and Kylie
Minogue

Reuters: Myanmar Releases Democracy Leader Suu Kyi (5-6-2002)
From Reuters:

Myanmar Releases Democracy Leader Suu Kyi

YANGON (Reuters) -- Myanmar's military government said on Monday it had freed

pro-democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi after 19 months of house arrest, but by
early
morning the Nobel laureate had yet to emerge from her lakeside home.

"As of today, she is at liberty to carry out all activities, including her
party's," a
government spokesman told Reuters.

The junta said in a statement it had released 600 political prisoners in recent
months
and would more would freed soon, provided they were not a threat to national
stability.

"Today marks the start of a new page for the people of Myanmar and the
international
community," it said in a statement.

"We shall recommit ourselves to allowing all of our citizens to participate
freely in the life
of our political process while giving precedence to national unity, peace and
the stability
of the country as well as the region."

It was not clear if any conditions were attached to Suu Kyi's release.

Her National League for Democracy (NLD) is regarded by many in the international
community as Myanmar's legitimate government. It won the country's last
elections in
1990 by a landslide, stunning the junta which refused to hand over power.

Opposition sources said Suu Kyi was expected to speak to the media later on
Monday,
but barricades and a "no entry" sign were still in place as workers cleaned
University
Avenue outside and reporters and photographers gathered. Buddhist monks were
walking nearby.

The 56-year-old Nobel peace laureate has been confined to her house with her
telephone
line cut since September 2000 after trying to defy a government ban on travel
outside the
capital.

Her release, which came after secret talks with the government, has been among
the top
demands of the international community, which has isolated Myanmar and imposed
economic sanctions on the impoverished country in a bid to force political
change.

Suu Kyi has spent years in house arrest since emerging as a leader of Myanmar's
democracy movement in 1988 after the military bloodily suppressed
anti-government
protests. The military has ruled the country since a 1962 coup.

Suu Kyi was confined to her house from 1989 to 1995, and her release then was
marked
by jubilant scenes as crowds thronged the street outside her residence.

Diplomats say the junta wants to avoid this happening again, and that Suu Kyi
may have
agreed to keep a low profile in the days following her release.

An official at DCI Group, a U.S. publicity firm representing the Myanmar
government in
Washington, said a media conference would be held at 10 a.m. (11:30 p.m. EDT
Sunday).

Releases to Continue

In a statement faxed to Reuters by DCI, the military government said it would
continue to
release detainees, without mentioning Suu Kyi by name.

"We have released nearly 600 detainees in recent months and shall continue to
release
those who will cause no harm to the community nor threaten the existing peace,
stability and unity of the nation," the statement said.

"We shall recommit ourselves to allowing all of our citizens to participate
freely in the life
of our political process while giving precedence to national unity, peace and
the stability
of the country as well as the region," the government said.

The ruling generals began secretive talks with Suu Kyi in October 2000, saying
they
wanted to find common ground to break the political deadlock.

The military insists it is committed to bringing democracy to Myanmar, but says
that
moving too fast would risk the disintegration of the multi-ethnic country.

At the NLD's headquarters, a dilapidated building in central Yangon, activists
have been
preparing for Suu Kyi's release, cleaning their offices and installing air
conditioning.
Party sources said Suu Kyi was expected to come to the headquarters later on
Monday
to make a statement.

The United States said last week it would welcome freedom for Suu Kyi -- the
daughter
of Myanmar's 1940s independence hero Aung San -- but told the junta her release
must
be unconditional and would not automatically lead to a lifting of sanctions.

Neither the White House or the State Department had any immediate comment on the
release.

The World Bank, which closed its loan programs with Myanmar in 1995 because of
its
government policies, was not immediately available for comment.

The People: The Cops Check Bar as Singer Sleeps On (5-5-2002)
From The People:

THE COPS CHECK BAR AS SINGER SLEEPS ON

COPS swooped on a bar in Northern Ireland while Bono was fast asleep
upstairs.

For officers entered the public bar of Belfast's trendy Ten Square Hotel after
an awards bash nearby. The visit was part of an ongoing campaign of pub
visits by police to raise public awareness of licensing hours.

There's no suggestion that the hotel had been bending the rules.

Bono had spent some time in the exclusive members only China Club.

He'd been celebrating with the other band members of U2 after they had
cleaned up at the Hot Press music awards in Belfast that night.

Other guests at the hotel on the same night two weeks ago included The
Corrs.

Band members and revellers had been drinking Champagne and partying in
both bars of the hotel.

One punter who was in Bar Red - the hotel's public bar - said: "The cops
have been into bars all over town over the last month.

"They came into Bar Red and spoke with management.

"There were a few jeers when people saw the cops because there had been
a lot of drink taken by then.

"But Bono himself wasn't there.

"He had been in the China Club but he had already hit the sack."

The Police Service of Northern Ireland told us that they have been tightening
up on the rules to make sure everyone knows the score.

At the awards bash U2 were crowned with the best band, best singer and
best concert accolades while the Corrs scooped best musician.

The People: U2 Bono Launches Blast at Church (5-5-2002)
From The People:

U2 BONO LAUNCHES BLAST AT CHURCH
Brenda O'Neill

ROCK legend Bono has put his name to a controversial new book lashing
organised religion.

The U2 frontman has penned a foreword to a tome that's set to get Irish
clerics talking.

The book - They've Hi-jacked God - takes a swipe at the modern Christian
church. It's by well-known Northern Ireland Christian Adam Harbinson.

He's been in hot water in the past for his anti-Drumcree stance.

He has even had his life threatened by crazed loyalists.

Superstar Bono was happy to endorse the book, saying that the Church
was in a battle with God.

"Sadly the Church is winning," says Bono.

"Adam Harbinson takes on the Church as mausoleum for the 'dead' Christ
and the Church as handcuffs and fire brigade for the risen Christ - it's an
interesting subject.

"I find solace in places I never could have imagined... the quiet sprinkling of
my child's head in Baptism, a gospel choir drunk on the Holy Spirit in
Memphis, or the back of a cathedral in Rome watching the first
cinematographers play with light and colour in stainglass stories of the
Passion.

"I am still amazed at how big, how enormous a love and mystery God is - and
how small are the minds that attempt to corral this life force into rules and
taboos, cults and sects.

"Mercifully God transcends the Church which is, I think, the subject of this
book."

Bono adds that he has taken comfort and peace in life from his little boy's
baptism.

Little John Abraham Hewson was born on May 21 2000, the youngest of
Bono and his wife Ali's four children.

When Harbinson was asked how he managed to persuade Bono to write the
foreword, he answered modestly: "I just asked him.

"You don't have to go to church in order to be a good person... a Christian.
That was Bono's experience and that's why he wrote this piece".

The book is due for publication later this year.

Irish Sunday Mirror: Paul Kangley's link to the stars (5-5-2002)
From The Irish Sunday Mirror:

PAUL KANGLEY IS A FRIEND OF THE STARS WHO CLAIMS TO
HAVE DINED WITH BERTIE AHERN..HE'S ALSO CHIEF OF
THE IRISH PEOPLE'S PARTY WHICH WANTS TO KICK OUT
ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS AND PUT ALL OUR DRUG ADDICTS
IN PRISON

Scott Millar

RACIST party boss Paul Kangley's links to the stars are revealed today
by the Irish Sunday Mirror.

Balding Kangley is behind the ultra-right wing Irish People's Party - but
his nasty views would not go down well with the celebs he mixes with.

The bit-part actor proudly shows off a picture of himself posing with
Bono and his wife Ali Hewson and ex-Arts Minister Michael D Higgins at the
premiere of one of his films.

Another prized picture is of himself in a crowd scene with Oscar winner
Daniel Day Lewis and Irish actor Dom Baker during the making of In The Name
Of The Father. But 48-year-old Kangley's most proud boast is of the night
Bertie Ahern came to dinner at his home in Blessington Street, in Dublin's north
inner city.

As a Fianna Fail worker for the Taosieach in his own constituency of Dublin
he told another friend: "I'm on first name terms with the 'boss'." The nickname
he used for Taoiseach Ahern.

But when told of Kangley's claims about a dinner, a spokesman for the
Taoiseach replied: "We would absolutely refute that. An absolute lie.

"Maybe his imagination seems to be getting the better of him."

The Fianna Fail spokesman added: "Kangley has not been involved with Fianna
Fail for a number of years now and was asked not to be involved, that was
communicated to him.

"Local members communicated to him they no longer required his assistance,
that's the end of the matter from our point of view.

"Certainly his views now on things would not be in line with our views on
this issue."

Kangley had thousands of leaflets printed in which he spouted his racist rants
and had them distributed throughout homes in the north inner city of Dublin
where many refugees who have come to Ireland live.

In his racist literature on refugees Kangley claims: "Since they arrived they
have committed several murders, rapes, muggings, robberies, thousands of bank
and credit card frauds and major drug importations."

He also wants Ireland to pull out of the Geneva convention governing the
treatment of refugees which would ban them from the country.

And he wrote: "Ninety-five per cent of Nigerain women arrive pregnant,
because by having a baby here assures them of a passport for themselves and
their
family."

His beliefs also include pinning the blame for TB and AIDS in Ireland on
refugees. Kangley, who is originally from Co Leitrim, hid behind a mobile phone
number, a website and a PO box address.

The website reads: "Over the last five years - Ireland and the Irish economy
has boomed.

"After centuries of hard times for the Irish people trying to create a better
country and better way of life for its people, we at last started to see good
times
in our country.

"But as soon as prosperity came so did thousands of Africans and East-
European people.

"Calling themselves refugees or asylum seekers because they had found out
that these are the words they needed to get into Ireland.

"They arrived here illegally in planes, boats and trucks now there are in the
region of 120,000 here getting fed, housed, clothed, schooling, medical and
maternity care."

But, as he tried to recruit one of our investigators to his hateful brand of
politics, he said: "My name's Paul Kangley from Blessington Street. The street's
full of refugees.

"We've had a lot of response from the leaflets, a lot of support.

"But a couple of people haven't liked it though. But we're looking for people
to help with leaflets. Can you help?"

Kangley was also anxious to make sure our undercover reporter was on the
electoral roll.

In his other role as a bit-part film actor, Kangley likes to tell his tales of
mixing
with the stars.

He told his local paper after his part in In The Name Of The Father: "Jim
Sheridan, the director, treats everyone equally whether you are Daniel Day Lewis
or whether you are an extra with the smallest part."

It was at the Dublin premier of the movie that he met Bono, his wife Ali Hewson
and then Arts minister Michael D Higgins.

Kangley's other parts include eight episodes of Fair City, Far And Away, with
Tom Cruise - in which he played a Jewish emmigrant - Braveheart, with
Mel Gibson and Michael Collins , with Liam Neeson.

Kangley, who ran a B&B in Blessington Street, said of his acting work: "I love
what I do, it's hard work but fantastic craic as well.

"It certainly beats the hell out of being stuck behind a desk all day."

He claimed that as well as working with many top stars, he became friends with
them too.

"Richard Dreyfus is a man I would admire, and, of course, Jim Sheridan and Mal
White the famous English stage actor. They are really good-hearted,
down-to-earth
people."

Equity member Kangley claims to be related to Cuban revolutionary Che Guevara:
"My great-grandmother and Che Guevara's grand- father were brother and sister."

One fellow actor claimed Kangley was always open about his racism.

The fellow extra, on The Name Of The Father said: "He would break your
heart going on about the blacks and that, these guys were his fellow actors. The
funniest thing about it was a few years later I meet his wife - who is Asian."

Right-wing British National Party leader Nick Griffin said he had frequent
contact with the IPP - whose slogan is Putting Ireland and its People First -
and
was ready to give them financial backing.

Among the party's ultra-right wing policies are:

STOPPING all benefit payments to refugees

LOCKING up drug addicts until they beat their habit

MAKE parents responsible for the crimes of their children

Furious local Independent TD Tony Gregory said yesterday: "This a sick
racist rant in an attempt to inflame tensions among the working classes. It will
not work."

Despite the IPP's call on its leaflet for people to Vote No1, Kangley has
missed the dealine to put himself forward as a candidate at the election.

The Irish Sunday Mirror tried to contact Kangley yesterday but he did not
answer any of his phones or reply to any e-mails.

Releases:
May 7. 'Mr. Deeds' soundtrack. Contains U2's 'Sweetest
Thing'
November. U2's 'Best of 1991-2001' (RUMOR)
November. U2 Slane 2001 DVD (RUMOUR)
Fall 2002. New U2 album (RUMOUR)
--------------

TV/Live Events/Appearances:

---------------

Vote:
Bono has been nominated for the US-Africa Mother Africa
Award. Vote here:
http://www.youtwo.net/news_archives.adp?newsid=18101

In Print:

Rolling Stone Magazine, April 25, 2002. Issue 894. Adam
Clayton Style section, pg. 71
NME, 50th Anniversary Edition, one of many different covers
features U2

--------------

Fan Club Meetings

Please email eliz...@youtwo.net with your fan club meeting
details.

Be your own Boss and Work from Home.
Click here to get FREE Information on
how you can make up to $4000 per Week!!
http://psstt.com/1/c/71054/46341/174418/174418

U2News: http://www.YouTwo.net
The only DAILY updated U2 News page is brought
to you by the letter U and the number 2.