Colours and U2

1 view

Lithium Boy

Aug 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/29/00
Now, bear with me on this one:

I have the rather strange tendency to see music in terms of very
strong colours. My mum says that a child psychologist friend of hers
once said that it was very rare, but common in musician types.

Anyway.... I was wondering if anyone else did that too? What
colour are different U2 songs for you, or even whole albums?? For
instance, for me, War is strongly brick-red; Joshua Tree a
browny-yellow (possibly something to do with the desert imagery);
Achtung Baby is dark, almost black; Unforgettable Fire is green.

For the record, Beautiful Day is a chalky navy blue!!!!

Anyway, the guys with the padded white van are here so I'll be seeing
you all.... lol

Take care.

Doc Aay

Aug 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/29/00
Lithium Boy wrote:

> Now, bear with me on this one:
>
> I have the rather strange tendency to see music in terms of very
> strong colours. My mum says that a child psychologist friend of hers
> once said that it was very rare, but common in musician types.
> Anyway, the guys with the padded white van are here so I'll be seeing
> you all.... lol
>
> Take care.

This is funny, I see music in colors (the Yank spelling) too! AB is
royal purple. Boy is scarlet. JT is green. Zooropa is lemon (had to
be, right?)
What's more, if you read the Rolling Stone article of last month about
the band, Bono sees notes in colors as well. (Paraphrase: "that was a
moldy green note")

Great topic!

Doc

Jivetalkinfool

Aug 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/29/00
Interesting..I've never looked at music in that sense. The only album that I
could issue a uniform color to would have to be The Unforgettable Fire, which
is a sort of burgundy color. I think that album cover definitely related to the
songs. Well, now that I'm thinking about it..I think October could have a
darkish color to it.

MOFO

Lithium Boy

Aug 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/29/00
>This is funny, I see music in colors (the Yank spelling) too! AB is
>royal purple. Boy is scarlet. JT is green. Zooropa is lemon (had to
>be, right?)
>What's more, if you read the Rolling Stone article of last month about
>the band, Bono sees notes in colors as well. (Paraphrase: "that was a
>moldy green note")
>
>Great topic!
>
>Doc

Oh yeah!! I do remember getting quite excited when I read that, I'd
forgotten.

Hey, and this business about Boy being scarlet?! Naaaaahhh.......
: )

Cheers Doc,

Kev

Aug 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/29/00

Jivetalkinfool wrote:

> Interesting..I've never looked at music in that sense. The only album that I
> could issue a uniform color to would have to be The Unforgettable Fire, which
> is a sort of burgundy color. I think that album cover definitely related to the
> songs.

Yeah I've always thought of this album as being a sunset red colour. Don't know why
but I have.

joey

Aug 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/29/00
Wow!
I do.
I see my own music in colors.
Strange. <g>
"Lithium Boy" <lithiumdave@*too*hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Now, bear with me on this one:
>
> I have the rather strange tendency to see music in terms of very
> strong colours. My mum says that a child psychologist friend of hers
> once said that it was very rare, but common in musician types.
>
> Anyway.... I was wondering if anyone else did that too? What
> colour are different U2 songs for you, or even whole albums?? For
> instance, for me, War is strongly brick-red; Joshua Tree a
> browny-yellow (possibly something to do with the desert imagery);
> Achtung Baby is dark, almost black; Unforgettable Fire is green.
>
> For the record, Beautiful Day is a chalky navy blue!!!!

SkidMerc

Aug 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/29/00
Lithium Boy wrote:

> Now, bear with me on this one:
>
> I have the rather strange tendency to see music in terms of very
> strong colours. My mum says that a child psychologist friend of hers
> once said that it was very rare, but common in musician types.
>
> Anyway.... I was wondering if anyone else did that too? What
> colour are different U2 songs for you, or even whole albums?? For
> instance, for me, War is strongly brick-red; Joshua Tree a
> browny-yellow (possibly something to do with the desert imagery);
> Achtung Baby is dark, almost black; Unforgettable Fire is green.
>
> For the record, Beautiful Day is a chalky navy blue!!!!
>
> Anyway, the guys with the padded white van are here so I'll be seeing
> you all.... lol
>
> Take care.

I thought everyone saw music in colours...oh well...

here is mine:
JT Brown/Yellow
Achtung Baby Black
TUF Black (reminds me of dark winter nights)
POP - sky blue
Zooropa - deep red.

The rest are white.

--
SkidMerc

Sophie

Aug 29, 2000, 7:44:31 PM8/29/00
Agh! That's so weird! I've been going on about how I see music in colours
to my friends for *years*, but you guys understand! *hugs*
Okay, I'll give my list of albums:colours. This could end up ridiculously
long. Does it have to be all U2? Bear with me:
Boy: Chalk white
October: Orange
War: Brick red
TUF: Royal blue
JT: Gold
R&H: Black
AB: Very rich colours
Zooropa: Electric Blue
Pop: Yellow
Beautiful day is very blue to me.

And a few others:
Muse-muscle museum: Black
Nirvana: heart shaped box: Pink
Placebo-allergic: *VERY* green song!

Wow, great topic! But don't you think maybe we're being influenced by words
in the titles, or the covers themselves?
--
(*Sophie*) "Miss Whippy"
NO FL+++ S++$ N+ B+ C~# L+++ O+ CV++ JT3/AB8

Lithium Boy

Aug 29, 2000, 8:14:39 PM8/29/00
On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 00:44:31 +0100, "Sophie"
<sop...@bongofury.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>Wow, great topic! But don't you think maybe we're being influenced by words
>in the titles, or the covers themselves?

You know, that occured to me too for a moment. But I don't think it
is. Maybe album covers do have some sort of influence and I think
that's unavoidable, but definitely for songs without any obvious
visual connotation (sleeve/video/etc) it's still there, if not
stronger. I'm sure you'll agree. Isn't that weird that we both had
BD down as blue?? I wonder if anyone else has that too?? (they
probably will have now!! lol)

Homer J

Aug 29, 2000, 9:53:56 PM8/29/00
: You know, that occured to me too for a moment. But I don't think it

: is. Maybe album covers do have some sort of influence and I think
: that's unavoidable, but definitely for songs without any obvious
: visual connotation (sleeve/video/etc) it's still there, if not
: stronger. I'm sure you'll agree. Isn't that weird that we both had
: BD down as blue?? I wonder if anyone else has that too?? (they
: probably will have now!! lol)

This is an intersting topic, one of those thing you dont normally think
about in an overt way.

BD? Yes, its blue for me too (this is weird...) To be more specific, a
satin-blue or electric-blue.
Other songs or just the albums in general don't always give me a well
defined colour, most certainly an ambiance or a feeling...

But now I'm curious, I'm gonna just type out 'my colours' for each album -
with no thought given - just impulse choices:

Boy - white
October - nothing there...?
War - red
TUF - something dark, green-grey?
JT - black-yellowish?
R&H - black, very black!
AB - black, but a different black to R&H
Zooropa - multicoloured... psychedelic almost
Pop - Orange <g>

No rational thought involved there, just instinctive answers.

Homer J

Caroline Beattie

Aug 29, 2000, 11:23:12 PM8/29/00
Wow! I thought I was the only weird one! I do see the albums in colours, but
not for exactly the same reason as you do. I see letters of the alphabet in
colours, I always have, since I was very little. So for me, U2 albums appear
in my head in the colour of the first letter of the first *main capital
letter* used in the album.

For example, the letter J is orange in my head, therefore the Joshua Tree is
an orangey yellow (the T for Tree is yellow).

Achtung Baby is a colourful album because all the letters in the title
provide a big range of colours, but it is overall a greeny blue, because A
is green, and B is navy blue.........which makes Beautiful Day a definite
blue, because not only is the B a blue but also the second letter, "e" is
light blue.........

This is getting weird......

So for the record, U2 albums are:

Boy - Navy Blue and White
October - White with a dash of yellow
War - A definite black. (The "w" is a giveaway)
Unforgettable Fire - an overall brown/purple
Joshua Tree - Orange/Yellow
Rattle and Hum - Red and brown
Achtung Baby - Greeney-blue
Zooropa - black and white with a splash of pink and green
Pop - Pink! P is pink!
All that you Can't leave Behind - a lovely emerald green, because the A for
All seems to stand out.

And U2 is a nice earthy tan colour.

Officially insane now,
Caroline

Sophie

Aug 29, 2000, 11:21:55 PM8/29/00
> You know, that occured to me too for a moment. But I don't think it
> is. Maybe album covers do have some sort of influence and I think
> that's unavoidable, but definitely for songs without any obvious
> visual connotation (sleeve/video/etc) it's still there, if not
> stronger. I'm sure you'll agree. Isn't that weird that we both had
> BD down as blue?? I wonder if anyone else has that too?? (they
> probably will have now!! lol)

I didn't notice we both reckoned it was blue! how weird! I kinda remember
seeing a programme about people that connected words with colours, and
they'd usually pick the same colours independant of each other. Spooky,
huh? :)

Sam

Aug 30, 2000, 1:21:23 AM8/30/00
This is such a cool topic! I've always associated colors with music and
sound. But more than that, I see patterns and shapes, and outright images,
as well as color. I don't know that I could assign a single color to an
album since most U2 albums cross the spectrum, but here are some random
examples:

Achtung Baby - I see a black background with silver patterns, and lots of
deeps colors like deep inky blues, dark blood reds, and some neon thrown in
there.

Zooropa - I see as a chaotic mixture, but a lot of neon type colors that
want to suck you in.

POP - I see aluminium foil with subtle pastel colors overlaid overtop.

---
Sam

Kev

Aug 30, 2000, 2:45:36 AM8/30/00

SkidMerc wrote:

> Lithium Boy wrote:
> here is mine:
> JT Brown/Yellow
> Achtung Baby Black
> TUF Black (reminds me of dark winter nights)
> POP - sky blue
> Zooropa - deep red.
>
> The rest are white.

And Beautiful Day & Sweetest Thing I tend to see as green & white hoops!!
Dunno why though.

> --
> SkidMerc

Andrea

Aug 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/30/00
Boy: silver and deep navy blue

October: scarlet

War: dark red

Under a Blood Red Sky: isn't it obvious? :-)

TUF: green, blue, red

Wide Awake in America: green, pink, strong blue

TJT: honey golden brown

R&H: greyish blue and light blue

AB: grey, black

Zooropa: reddish brown, olive

Pop: purple, orange, yellow

************
Beautiful day: strong light blue and bright yellow

--
Andrea, The Proud U2 Fan
NO FB DL+++ S+++ (no merch) N+ C+ L+++ O++ CV++ UF7/JT3/PO6

"If I am close to the music,
and you are close to the music,
we are close to each other." - Bono

Lithium Boy

Aug 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/30/00
It's cool that so many people have been contributing to this thread.
It's also strange that after receving (at best) blank looks from
people all my life when trying to explain the whole music/colours
thing, lots of you here know exactly what i mean.

Been thinking about this, and it sort of stands to reason that a
community such as this one (and I do very much view myself as part of
this community - hope that's OK...!) who are heavily involved in
debating music MUST be getting something from that music far deeper
than your average, casual listener. I know that it's obvious to you
all here, and I don't feel that I'm maybe making my point as well as I
could, but....

Awww, shucks. I love you guys.... xx

(thanks to the person who sent me the email today regarding this -
made me think sideways!! Much appreciated)

Jim

Aug 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/30/00
This is a damned nifty little thread. I shall give it a try.

Boy -- White with red sprinkles (I worked in an ice cream shop this summer
:))
October -- Gray with streaks of silver and crimson
War -- Deep corvette red. and a few speckles of white, like eggshells in an
omelette maybe...
Under a Blood Red Sky -- Red and White... in a swirly pattern...
Unforgettable Fire -- green with lots of yellow spots and little black dots
Joshua Tree -- yellow, with blue -- royal blue, and a hint of gold
Rattle and Hum -- Blue and gold -- striped this time
Achtung Baby -- gray, black, blacker, silver and white
Zooropa -- purple and green with rainbow sprinkles
POP -- silver with lots of red and blue blobs -- some of the blue blobs have
green spots.
Beautiful Day -- white.

--
Jim Crane

...And we've got a lot of life to live

http://www.pitt.edu/~jmcst80
alternate email: Bacard...@yahoo.com

Message has been deleted

Sean T. Evans

Aug 31, 2000, 1:32:47 PM8/31/00
I see music in colors all the time, but not the same colors every time
and the colors are constantly changing. Someone mentioned that musicians
tend to see music in colors. I, however, work with lighting, so when I
listen to music, I tend to see what I'd put on a stage to go with the
music. So I get layers and movement. A lot of it.
So for example Actung baby starts out very harsh white and slowly color
fades in but it from all the wrong angles then it turns red and fades to
near darknes with only a slight backlight then moves to a natural
lighting, but with some blue backlight. There's a mirrorball rotating
very slowly in UTEOTW.
So maybe I'm nuts, I've also got about 75 AOL CD's hanging from my
celing because I'm too cheap to buy a real mirror ball.
--Sean T.

--
"Time is a train, makes the future the past." --U2
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Doc Aay

Aug 31, 2000, 1:42:25 PM8/31/00
"Sean T. Evans" wrote:

> I see music in colors all the time, but not the same colors every time
> and the colors are constantly changing. Someone mentioned that musicians
> tend to see music in colors. I, however, work with lighting, so when I
> listen to music, I tend to see what I'd put on a stage to go with the
> music. So I get layers and movement. A lot of it.
> So for example Actung baby starts out very harsh white and slowly color
> fades in but it from all the wrong angles then it turns red and fades to
> near darknes with only a slight backlight then moves to a natural
> lighting, but with some blue backlight. There's a mirrorball rotating
> very slowly in UTEOTW.
> So maybe I'm nuts, I've also got about 75 AOL CD's hanging from my
> celing because I'm too cheap to buy a real mirror ball.
> --Sean T.

Wow! This is great, a movie of colors, even more fun. I've never
thought about hanging AOL CDs from the ceiling, that is a great idea!!!

Doc

cosmicgirl

Aug 31, 2000, 2:47:37 PM8/31/00
In article <8ohhns$c2c$1...@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>,

"Sophie" <sop...@bongofury.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> Agh! That's so weird! I've been going on about how I see music in colours
> to my friends for *years*, but you guys understand! *hugs*
> Okay, I'll give my list of albums:colours. This could end up ridiculously
> long. Does it have to be all U2? Bear with me:
> Boy: Chalk white
> October: Orange
> War: Brick red
> TUF: Royal blue
> JT: Gold
> R&H: Black
> AB: Very rich colours
> Zooropa: Electric Blue
> Pop: Yellow
> Beautiful day is very blue to me.
>
> And a few others:
> Muse-muscle museum: Black
> Nirvana: heart shaped box: Pink
> Placebo-allergic: *VERY* green song!
>
> Wow, great topic! But don't you think maybe we're being influenced by words
> in the titles, or the covers themselves?

not necessarily. It has to do with partially with psychology and
partially(just a tad bit)with genetics. Musicians and musically-oriented
people(layman's term for people who have a driving need to always be
involved with and immersed in music) seem to have this ability much more
than people who aren't as musically-oriented. I've been seeing music as
colors since I was very little, but I've never really discussed it with
anyone-not even my parents. i don't consider it a bad thing - i thnk my
ability is quite cool- but some people just do not understand.
BTW, I see Beautiful Day as A sort of periwinkle blue. ;O)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Kev

Aug 31, 2000, 5:46:39 PM8/31/00

Jim wrote:

> This is a damned nifty little thread. I shall give it a try.
>
> Boy -- White with red sprinkles (I worked in an ice cream shop this summer
> :))
> October -- Gray with streaks of silver and crimson
> War -- Deep corvette red. and a few speckles of white, like eggshells in an
> omelette maybe...
> Under a Blood Red Sky -- Red and White... in a swirly pattern...
> Unforgettable Fire -- green with lots of yellow spots and little black dots
> Joshua Tree -- yellow, with blue -- royal blue, and a hint of gold
> Rattle and Hum -- Blue and gold -- striped this time
> Achtung Baby -- gray, black, blacker, silver and white
> Zooropa -- purple and green with rainbow sprinkles
> POP -- silver with lots of red and blue blobs -- some of the blue blobs have
> green spots.
> Beautiful Day -- white.

Bloody hell I hope you didn't work in the ice cream shop when the other albums
were released. I'd never buy an ice cream off you ;-))

Lithium Boy

Aug 31, 2000, 6:12:19 PM8/31/00

>BTW, I see Beautiful Day as A sort of periwinkle blue. ;O)

I'm amazed at just how many of us see BD as a blue colour.

Lithium Boy xx

Lithium Joe: Rock n' roll, reggae, pop, punk, tunes!!!

http://www.lithiumjoe.com

Kev

Aug 31, 2000, 6:16:46 PM8/31/00

Hey LJ I've just been checking a few of your tunes mate & they're pretty
cool. Definitely an Oasis influence there (maybe!!) somewhere. I see
your music as a blue colour in a black & white movie. Does anybody
understand what I mean here??
Kev

Lithium Boy

Aug 31, 2000, 6:19:24 PM8/31/00

Seeing colours in music??? Freak!! You need help!!!

Seriously, thanks for the kind words, though I don't think any of the
band have even HEARD Oasis (not intentionally at any rate).
Hmmmm.... Scottish humour, I get it now...

Jim

Aug 31, 2000, 8:16:33 PM8/31/00
Kev wrote:

i don't know -- we made some freaky things in the ice cream shop... have you ever
had a bubblegum milkshake?

larrysgirl

Aug 31, 2000, 10:43:40 PM8/31/00
good question!my brother's a musician, and he has metioned something to
that effect about songs he likes,so,here's my list then:

Boy:white with shades of red
October:red, definitely!(serious religious undertones)
War:red and black(no, not because of the album colors,it's just that
those are the colors of war!)
Unforgettable Fire:gray
Joshua Tree: gold(colors of the sunsets and desert)
Rattle & Hum: Blue(blues influence thru and thru!)
Achtung Baby: black(i agree, very dark album!)
Zoorapa: all kinds of colors, that is one trippy cd!
Passengers: ditto!
Pop: scarlet and silver(its sex,all sex!)

well ,there it is!hope it's cool!

larrysgirl:)

loving and missing her nicky!

larrysgirl

Aug 31, 2000, 10:56:47 PM8/31/00
i have!!ohh its sooo good!really,i'm serious!!place in fl, called
jackson's ice cream,oh my god it to die for!kev, try it!

larrysgirl:)
will try the bubblegum milkshake on her nicky..yum!

Andrea

Sep 1, 2000, 8:36:47 AM9/1/00
Dave wrote:

<< I'm amazed at just how many of us see BD as a blue colour. >>

Maybe because when it is a beautiful day there is a clear blue sky...

Well, not necessarily... A beautiful day can also be a day when you get
great news about something that makes you happy and outside is thundery and
pouring down in buckets... So, actually it's not directly related to the
weather...

--
Andrea, The Proud U2 Fan
NO FB DL+++ S+++ (no merch) N+ C+ L+++ O++ CV++ UF7/JT3/PO6

"If I am close to the music,
and you are close to the music,
we are close to each other." - Bono

"Lithium Boy" <lithiumdave@*too*hotmail.com> wrote in message

Lithium Boy

Sep 1, 2000, 8:41:42 AM9/1/00
On Fri, 1 Sep 2000 13:36:47 +0100, "Andrea" <and...@not.available.com>
wrote:

>Dave wrote:
>
><< I'm amazed at just how many of us see BD as a blue colour. >>
>
>Maybe because when it is a beautiful day there is a clear blue sky...

Actually, the blue I see it as is nothing like a sky colour anyway.
It's a very soft dark navy blue, with maybe swirls of creamy-white in
there too.

Slapshot

Sep 3, 2000, 2:38:48 PM9/3/00

Doc Aay <docaye...@yahoo.comPLEASE> wrote in message