Todd - Kasim in "New Cars"

B Fawlty

Nov 14, 2005, 11:16:00 AM11/14/05
Subject: From Kasim
From: Kasim Sulton mailto:mail...@kasimsulton.com
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 00:25:21 -0500 (EST)
To: mail...@kasimsulton.com

November 14, 2005

Hi all, remember these posts? Heres the latest from me...
I guess it's safe to tell you all about the 'big announcement' now as most
of you have put two and two together. I've accepted a position as the
Bassist for a new incarnation of an old band ... The Cars! Currently being
billed as "The New Cars". I know most of you are aware that Todd Rundgren
has also signed on as the lead singer. Pretty cool huh?
We've already recorded some new songs and are scheduled to be touring all
next year (2006).
The line up is as follows, Todd, myself, Elliot Easton, Greg Hawks and
Prairie Prince. We're planning to record a live CD/DVD sometime after the
new year and a possible TV appearance before Christmas.
So, thats what I've been alluding to for the past month or so and I'm really
excited to be involved in this new project with a great bunch of guys.
I'm sure we'll be doing shows near you and this is one show you really don't
want to miss.
I mean come on ... Todd and ME? Playing Cars songs? Hee hee!!!! It'll be
like hearing them for the first time!
As soon as the publicity shots from the photo session we did are approved,
I'll be putting them up here (http://www.kasimsulton.com/).
Right now I'm back in LA to begin recording the new Meat Loaf record Bat Out
Of Hell III.
My friend Desmond Child is producing and whether you know it or not, you can
sing at least ONE of the 67 top 40 hits he's had a hand in writing.
Now, for even more crap about me ....
I've been taking a lot of time writing new material - like I have a lot of
time? - I've managed to make some pretty good progress on a bunch of new
songs. Last time I was in London I had mentioned on my blog that I was
working with Phil Thornalley and I'll be putting up a clip of it here over
the next few days, please check back soon.
Well, thats about it for now.
More to follow!

Love, Kasim

KB

Nov 14, 2005, 1:43:05 PM11/14/05
I guess that explains why we've heard nothing more about a Utopia 2006
reunion.

I wonder if they'll be doing any of Todd's music along with the Cars songs.

paul

Nov 14, 2005, 4:24:51 PM11/14/05

"KB" <open_m...@snet.net> wrote in message
Don't know how much that would be appreciated by "Cars" fans.

Scott Sheppard

Nov 14, 2005, 7:16:46 PM11/14/05
I hope not. I think it would be great if they stuck to doing old and new
Cars material. We had plenty of Todd and Utopia over the years. Let's hear
something new.

Guido

Nov 14, 2005, 8:35:16 PM11/14/05
Urgh.

I just spit up in my mouth.

Wow. The two guys who sang none of the hits in The Cars and the two
guys that sang all of the never-were-hits in Utopia.

Yeah, baby!

Marketing GENIUS at work there.

My God. What will they think of next? Queen with the dude from Bad
Compan...oh, right. Nevermind.

Nil

Nov 14, 2005, 9:00:29 PM11/14/05
On 14 Nov 2005, "Guido" <gu...@guidotoons.com> wrote in

> Wow. The two guys who sang none of the hits in The Cars and the two
> guys that sang all of the never-were-hits in Utopia.

Not that I'm convinced that this is a great idea, but for me, Elliot
Easton's guitar solos were just as important to the songs and as
distinctive as the lead vocal. So as long as he's there, there is still
a connection to the old band.

> My God. What will they think of next? Queen with the dude from Bad
> Compan...oh, right. Nevermind.

Got yer tix yet for INXS with the American Idol?

Guido

Nov 14, 2005, 9:13:07 PM11/14/05
No, no ...I dig both Easton and Hawks' contributions.

And I loved Utopia. And Queen. And Paul Rodgers.

But THIS??

I dunno.

Sounds pretty cacky to me.

But that's just me.

Others might dig it but...

Now... if they would have announced it as a "great new band" with
"former members of".... well now, that's a different story.

But the "New Cars"?

Don't make no sense.

Monkeypox

Nov 15, 2005, 1:19:01 AM11/15/05
In article <1132020787.4...@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
gu...@guidotoons.com says...

> But the "New Cars"?
>
> Don't make no sense.

Indeed, it is a peculiar concept.

How about "Used Cars"?

EarGuy

Nov 15, 2005, 6:28:15 AM11/15/05
Aw, c'mon gang, it'll be fun. Great songs, great musicians. We all know
Todd plays better when he's with a band.

Forget who's "supposed" to be there, and just enjoy it.

Dave
earguy

D2

Nov 15, 2005, 8:04:30 AM11/15/05
What a horrible idea. Doing the Cars (or The New Cars) without Ben Orr (RIP)
or Ric Ocasek is just stupid. Of course, I heard that Ocasek is doing a
neo-Utopia tour with Will Lee, Willie Wilcox and Jean-Yves "M Frog" Labat so
I guess it all evens out.

Nil

Nov 15, 2005, 9:13:02 AM11/15/05
On 15 Nov 2005, "D2" <twoan...@comcast.net> wrote in

> What a horrible idea. Doing the Cars (or The New Cars) without Ben
> Orr (RIP) or Ric Ocasek is just stupid. Of course, I heard that
> Ocasek is doing a neo-Utopia tour with Will Lee, Willie Wilcox and
> Jean-Yves "M Frog" Labat so I guess it all evens out.

What, no Sales Bros? Fugeddabouddit.

D2

Nov 15, 2005, 11:00:00 AM11/15/05
"Nil" <redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote in message

Oooh. . .that might work!

Kemchan

Nov 15, 2005, 5:16:46 PM11/15/05
So what's the name? New Cars?

How about Edsel?

and if Ric O. does join Willie and Roger doing Utopia tunes...they can call
it...Myopia

^^indifference^^

Nov 15, 2005, 5:45:28 PM11/15/05

"Kemchan" <kem...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Don't you people know when you are being had?

Nil

Nov 15, 2005, 5:56:53 PM11/15/05
On 15 Nov 2005, "^^indifference^^" <wheredothebirdsgowhenitrains>
wrote in news:W-mdnbqqZYye-Ofe...@sysmatrix.net:

> Don't you people know when you are being had?

Don't you know when people are having fun?

I'll bet you and your raincloud don't get invited to many parties.

Jeff Gower

Nov 15, 2005, 7:09:21 PM11/15/05
In article <1-CdnQCcUY5...@comcast.com>,
"D2" <twoan...@comcast.net> wrote:

> What a horrible idea.

How about this for an idea, Todd? Get thee and thy axe in thy studio
and create "ATOCF 2". That would make me happy. :-)

"You were borrrrrrrrrn to synthesize!"
Jeff

D2

Nov 16, 2005, 10:34:01 AM11/16/05
I guess Todd is in on the joke:

Todd's message on the "New Cars"
For the screamers:

Now that the cat is out of the bag, or rather 'car is out of the
garage', I should address the issues I would have dealt with had
someone given me a heads up before we went public.

There is a new cadre of 'fan' who has taken to constant second guessing
of my motives and decisions. Their responses are usually
Cassandraesque, rife with predictions of career death and loss of core
audience. If results are not to their satisfaction, they threaten...
what? To actively campaign against playing my music on the radio?

Here are the facts. I don't know what kind of job you have, but I
imagine that if you want to keep it you have to adapt to changes in
your job description and to changes in the job market itself. And I
don't know if you've heard, but musicians have notoriously brief
careers. You can't do the job well on a part time basis, so you had
better make a living at it. And if you want to keep the job, you better
take advantage of whatever opportunities you have to work.

You would have thought that 2004 was a big year for me careerwise, and
in many ways it was. But the effort to bring the tour to the widest
audience was not a profitable venture and I am still paying it off
today. You would have thought that 2005 has been a nearly disasterous
followup, and in some ways it has. But I erased the debts of last year,
got caught up on my taxes and even vacationed for a couple weeks. Oh
yeah, and I supported my family.

So now an opportunity has arisen for me to pay my bills, play to a
larger audience, work with musicians I know and like, and ideally have
some fun for a year. The catch is, a lot of people have been counting
on something else. Let's make this clear: the possibility of a Utopia
reunion of any kind has always been extremely remote. We disbanded for
specific reasons that a previous reunion attempt only exacerbated.
Despite whatever enjoyment we got from playing the music for our fans,
the reformation left a sour taste. It would be ludicrous to Spinal Tap
our way through a tour so fans could be satisfied that we simply showed
up on the same stage. That's a redefinition of Utopia I can't
personally handle. No 'magic date' is so magical that it can transform
such an ingrained relationship. It's not happening and we'll all have
to live with it.

The rest of the equation is obvious. I can take out a band of my own
and slide inexorably into debt, or I can go out solo and take my
chances. Except that's no choice. Most of my recent material doesn't
translate to the accoustic guitar (let alone piano), so the act has
become stale to the point that I won't accept any more gig offers for
solo shows.

So you see, if someone gives you an opportunity to make a good living
for a year without violating your musical ethics (or HAVING to play
Beatle songs), and throws in the ability to retain your own identity
and perform your own material and possibly create new fans, well, what
choice do you have, really? The schedule even gives me plenty of time
to record a new solo project, so what's the problem? If my working
musician's decision offends you, start calling the DJs and beg them to
stop playing all that TR music that's in such heavy rotation.

Otherwise, me and Kas and Prairie and Elliot and Greg will be playing
parts of the country we'd never get to otherwise, and hope to see you
all there when we do.

TR

B Fawlty

Nov 16, 2005, 11:15:51 AM11/16/05
wow

B Fawlty

Nov 16, 2005, 11:16:38 AM11/16/05
wow

B Fawlty

Nov 16, 2005, 11:16:07 AM11/16/05
wow

B Fawlty

Nov 16, 2005, 11:20:23 AM11/16/05
wow

Monkeypox

Nov 16, 2005, 12:57:29 PM11/16/05
> Todd's message on the "New Cars"

> Here are the facts. I don't know what kind of job you have, but I

> imagine that if you want to keep it you have to adapt to changes in
> your job description and to changes in the job market itself. And I
> don't know if you've heard, but musicians have notoriously brief
> careers. You can't do the job well on a part time basis, so you had
> better make a living at it. And if you want to keep the job, you better
> take advantage of whatever opportunities you have to work.

Even though I still think it's an odd situation (the new cars), what TR
says above is inexorably true. Of the dozens of musicians I was friends
with and/or was in bands with in jr. high, high school, and college,
now, 30 years later, only 2 are still working as professional musicians.
One toils in relative obscurity writing jingles, doing some acoustic
solo gigs, and playing in a fairly successful, middle-aged cover band.
The other is Eric Johnson.

What it comes down to is, if you want to earn a living as a musician,
you do what it takes to pay the bills. Some are lucky or talented enough
to do what they want, and some are not.

MP

Guido

Nov 16, 2005, 2:48:36 PM11/16/05
Response to TR's "New cadre of fan"?

Todd, I've been buying your stuff since 1972! I have owned several
copies and formats of all of your recordings at one time or another. I
can't even remember how many times I paid to go see you. I paid hard
earned cash for those recordings and concerts... back when I could not
afford to do so.

I also cannot remember how many other people I have turned on to your
music throughout the years.

I went right along with you through the years you wanted to sing about
pyramids, spheres and the like while you wore pajamas on stage.

I even bought other artists records just because you produced them.

So given those facts alone I feel entitled to say whatever I want
regarding your career moves.

I do not see anything "threatening" in any one of the posts on this
group that mention not digging this new project. I see confusion and
disappointment, but no "threats".

Here are some facts for you.

I make music for a living, so I am well aware of how long a musical
career can last. Mine should have been over 13 years ago, but I'm
lucky. And as YOU know, luck is as important as talent in this
business.

I have not had the luxury of earning a living based on my "musical
ethics". I have had to earn a living based on giving people what they
want.

I remember when I was in a bar band during 1979-80. We played "Love of
the Common Man, Couldn't I Just Tell You", "Road To Utopia" among other
songs of yours.

Nobody wanted to hire us... unless we threw in some Cars tunes!

I never had the career, or the talent, that you have nor do I claim to
be on a par with you as an artist.

However it seems to me that you have chosen the career you have had.
You alone were responsible for any successes, or lack of, that you have
achieved.

You decided to dress like a butterfly and not promote Hello It's Me.
You decided that you were going to tour with a pyramid, sphinx and a
fire breathing dragon. You decided to do a record of Beatles ripoffs as
a follow-up to the most successful Utopia record you ever had. You
decided you weren't going to turn any singles into the record
companies.

You made the conscious choice to NOT "play the game" early on and
throughout your entire career.

Now that you are in the twilight of that career you "have to sing
Beatles songs" and tour as a "stale" solo act. Exactly how is that the
anyone else's fault?

Perhaps people would have helped make the Liars tour more "profitable"
for you had the previous solo shows been worth seeing? Just a thought.

As for "actively campaigning" to have your stuff removed from the
radio, well, I'm all for never hearing "Bang The Drum" again for the
rest of my life. Lol.

And "counting on a Utopia reunion"? Sorry, I dug that band. Yes, I'd
like to see Utopia perform again. Sue me. Wasn't counting on it, but I
would go see that tour. Oh, and by the way.... I can "live with it".
(Actually, the version of Utopia I would rather see is most likely not
the one people have in mind anyways.)

It's kind of sad to see you feel the need to even respond to any
criticism on the internet, for chrissakes!

Jeez... like anyone would care what is said on open forums.

You're Todd Frickin' Rundgren!

I'm certain there is some sort of a fan base for this new project.

With all due respect... I'm just not one of 'em.

D2

Nov 16, 2005, 7:30:00 PM11/16/05

"Guido" <gu...@guidotoons.com> wrote in message

Well Guido you certainly summed up a lot of what I've been thinking. Only
Todd is responsible for his current carrier situation. Additionally his
current economic situation is entirely of his own making. The combination
of his chronic allergic reaction to commercial acceptance, poor money
management and an impressive ability to bite the hand that feeds him leaves
him taking whatever gig comes his way. (Although it sounds like he's
finally realized how predictable and stale his solo act has become.)

But on the other hand I have a deep respect for anyone who's in tune with
their instincts and willing to follow them come hell or high water. (But
could it possibly be the same instincts telling him to wear the gay
butterfly costume AND produce something as powerful as Liars? I suspect
there are a lot of voices in that head.)

He's pissed money away building video studios, recording studios, websites
that don't work and tours that couldn't possible recoup the production
costs. He's an astounding visionary with absolutely no ability to bring his
visions to a profitable fruition. It's eerie to read old interviews with
Todd and see just how close he predicted the current state of the recording
industry and the impact of technology on the delivery system.

I'm a bit sad to admit that I'm skeptical about this New Cars project but
I'll probably go see it out of morbid curiosity and because Kasim and
Prairie are such a great rhythm section.

"Wait another year, a tribute band is here"

?

B Fawlty

Nov 16, 2005, 8:46:06 PM11/16/05
Guido, you're one bitter dude. And do you really think his response is from
anything said in this N.G.??

I'm glad that Todd continues to perform, period. Would you prefer to NEVER
see him again on stage? Many "legacy artists" do what they need to do, and
I appreciate it.

Guido

Nov 16, 2005, 9:23:38 PM11/16/05
Uh...I'm "one bitter dude"?

How is that? Because I have an opinion?

Uh-huh. And opinions are like assholes, right?

I see you have one or two.

Cool. Good for you. You disagree with me. Cool.

And, no. I don't _really_ think his response was aimed at me.

I was speaking from my own experiences and my own opinion regarding the
post announcing the "new Cars".

I then felt compelled to respond to his remarks because I disagreed
with them. And they were posted online, so I assumed he was responding
to all us Cassandra-ites. Lol.

Or would it be Cassandrites?

Actually... I haven't felt compelled to see him perform since about
1985.

I'd like to see him perform again.

With a band.

Doing Todd Rundgren and/or Utopia material and acting like he cares
about it.

As a "fan" I don't think that wanting for my money's worth is too much
to ask.

I'd pay to go see that.

Scott Sheppard

Nov 16, 2005, 10:13:41 PM11/16/05
On a personal level, I am glad you feel enthusiastic about your upcoming New
Cars tour. It is likely that this will translate into heartfelt performances
that will be enjoyed by all. For my own personal experience, *why* you
decide to embark on tours and what material you perform makes no difference
to me. The only thing that matters is how it affects my ears. If I like what
I hear, I am happy. Your albums, produced or performed, have made me happy
for many years. Your concerts, solo or with a band, have had mixed results.
Sometimes entropy does come in the form of a familiar friend. I look forward
to these shows. I think the New Cars will do the old Cars material justice.

"D2" <deni...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> So now an opportunity has arisen for me to pay my bills, play to a
> larger audience, work with musicians I know and like, and ideally have
> some fun for a year.

> TR

^^indifference^^

Nov 17, 2005, 8:01:24 AM11/17/05
Hey Todd, after you do The Cars how about Roxy Music? That would be
cool(er).

Scott Sheppard

Nov 17, 2005, 8:24:06 AM11/17/05
Perhaps Todd will play "Drive" or pull out an oldie like "Little Red
Lights"?

Jaap van Geels

Nov 18, 2005, 4:49:39 PM11/18/05
"KB" <open_m...@snet.net> wrote:
>I guess that explains why we've heard nothing more about a Utopia 2006
>reunion.
>
>I wonder if they'll be doing any of Todd's music along with the Cars songs.

Yesterday evening I was at a Tubes concert. Just 10 minutes
from my home.. Great show, after that I had a short conversation
with Prairie Prince and asked about the "New Cars". The funny
part was when Prairie told that in his opinion the band better was
called "New Utopia". Huh? I said, are they going to play Utopia
stuff? "There will be much Utopia music played".

So, there you have it. And the Cars fans will like it, ok?

--
Jaap van Geels

Ed

Nov 19, 2005, 6:10:44 AM11/19/05
Kaz retracted his statement about the tour. Am I just out of the loop or
does someone know something that I don't.

Ed

cats...@monmouth.com

Nov 20, 2005, 5:16:02 PM11/20/05
Hi again Maralyn1966 and here are my opinion and my husbands which are
very different.
His , he feels that Todd is contantly comprising his true fans. Every
tour you have to worry that it will suck!!! How can you expect
financial success when you are contantly hijacking your fans. TO make
money you have to give the consumer a product they want!

My opinion and usually I am the negitive one, as long as it is not the
bad solo shit I am open!!!! I dont think that this cars idea is a bad
one. It may be really good! I was never a cars fan,, but I have a
feeling this might work. I am for the first time in a while think
maybe we might be suprised!

KB

Nov 21, 2005, 7:06:09 AM11/21/05
>The funny part was when Prairie told that in his opinion the band better
was
called "New Utopia". Huh? I said, are they going to play Utopia
stuff? "There will be much Utopia music played".

It almost sounds like Todd is boxing Willie out of a reunion. Utopia
without the name.

I'm not sure Roger is up to playing keyboards like he used to from what I've
read here.

Hmmmmm.

Scott Sheppard

Nov 21, 2005, 12:57:44 PM11/21/05
Or it is exactly like Todd said. He has a chance to form a new band to play
some new material with musicians he respects. I am looking forward to the
new material as well as the old Cars songs.

"KB" <open_m...@snet.net> wrote in message

KB

Nov 21, 2005, 2:52:35 PM11/21/05
>He has a chance to form a new band to play
some new material with musicians he respects.

"Musicians he respects" - those are the key words.

Willie, apparently, is still not one of them.

Nil

Nov 21, 2005, 3:00:34 PM11/21/05
On 21 Nov 2005, "KB" <open_m...@snet.net> wrote in

> "Musicians he respects" - those are the key words.
>
> Willie, apparently, is still not one of them.

So, get Kevin Ellman in there. I like his drumming more than Willie's
anyway.

Jeff Gower

Nov 21, 2005, 9:29:07 PM11/21/05
In article <Xns971598AF...@216.196.97.136>,
Nil <redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:

> So, get Kevin Ellman in there. I like his drumming more than Willie's
> anyway.

The first, "prog" Utopia was unbelievably fantastic. The 2nd Utopia I
could always do without after the first LP side of "Ra".......

Jeff

Comedian

Nov 21, 2005, 10:03:25 PM11/21/05
On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 10:57:44 -0700, "Scott Sheppard"
<scott.s...@cox.net> wrote:

> I am looking forward to the
>new material as well as the old Cars songs.

I don't claim to be the biggest Cars fan fan but didn't Ric Ocasek
write most, if not all, Cars songs? I really seriously doubt that
they will be able to do old Cars songs unless I somehow missed the
announcement of Ocasek's death. Maybe I'm
crazy but that would be as seriously weird as Paul McCartney singing
John Lennon songs. Maybe not QUITE as weird since Ocasek didn't sing
all of the songs but something tells me that this is probably a
project more along the lines of Deface The Music. That prospect seems
a lot more exciting than the thought of Todd singing "I don't mind you
coming here" (ugh) anyway.

C.

tees...@lycos.com

Nov 22, 2005, 5:06:32 AM11/22/05
O.K. - so there have been many twists and turns during Todd's career
... kinda like a roller coaster for long time followers - "wait another
year, Utopia is here, and there's always more". Guess this time it's
the New Cars. Since Ric Ocasek "opted out" of this project (according
to the Billboard article 11/20), I see no disgrace in the other
remaining members going on with Todd, Kasim and Prairie. As its often
been said, performing gets in your blood, and since everyone involved
with the project seems anxious to get back out on the road and play, I
wish them well and look forward to seeing the show.

As for John "Willie" Wilcox, check the credits for "Another Live", the
first official release under the "Utopia" brand, and you'll see him
listed on drums. So he was the drummer for the first progressive
version of the band, as well as Roger Powell on Moog and trumpet.

Having said that, I too preferred the sound of the first incarnation -
the 2nd incarnation had its moments, but never matched the intensity of
the first go round. Kasim was a welcomed addition, but Roger and Willie
proved to be the weak links. The songs they contributed to the various
releases were laughable and showed a lack of writing skills. And their
musical abilities were adequate at best.

As for Wilcox wanting to program his drum kit - why even bother being
out there - Todd's had every right to be ticked about it! As a
drummer/percussionist myself I was appauled to hear that.

I personally will be more than happy to hear Todd and Kasim perform
Utopia or Todd's solo material, no matter what the venue, and since
I've always enjoyed the old Cars tunes, sounds like fun to me!

Utopia reunion .... more like "Dust in the Wind" (S/A?)

Jeff Gower

Nov 22, 2005, 2:58:40 PM11/22/05
In article <1132653992....@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
tees...@lycos.com wrote:

> O.K. - so there have been many twists and turns during Todd's career
> ... kinda like a roller coaster for long time followers - "wait another
> year, Utopia is here, and there's always more".

Yep. That was what was so great about being a Todd-head. I never knew
if the next album was going to be heavy on ballads, rockers, mysticism,
"synthesized noise", prog-rock, covers of '66 tunes, covers of Motown,
a-capella, Beatlesque pop, Broadway tunes, Gilbert and Sullivan,
bossa-nova, New Wave, New Age, or what. Kept things interesting.

Bottom line for me personally - TR's influence on my own music has been
incalculable. For that I'll always be thankful!

> Guess this time it's
> the New Cars. Since Ric Ocasek "opted out" of this project (according
> to the Billboard article 11/20),

Ben Orr is dead, and Ric Ocasek opted out. That's all we need to know
about whether or not there should be a New Cars, IMO. But what the
hell....

> I see no disgrace in the other
> remaining members going on with Todd, Kasim and Prairie. As its often
> been said, performing gets in your blood, and since everyone involved
> with the project seems anxious to get back out on the road and play, I
> wish them well

Yeah, what the hell.....if rumors are true that they'll be playing lots
of TR tunes as well - sort of a mix of New Cars and New Utopia - then
might be a good show to see, after all.....

> As for John "Willie" Wilcox, check the credits for "Another Live", the
> first official release under the "Utopia" brand, and you'll see him
> listed on drums. So he was the drummer for the first progressive
> version of the band, as well as Roger Powell on Moog and trumpet.

Indeed, and I meant no slam at Willie when I said I preferred the first
incarnation of Utopia over the latter one. I certainly always thought
he was a decent drummer. Just couldn't stand his songs.

Actually, I really didn't like the keyboards element of the 2nd Utopia -
always sounded rather cheesy, thin, and lacking depth. Again, this is a
commentary on the keyboard sound of the recordings and live concerts,
not on Roger's playing abilities per se.

> Having said that, I too preferred the sound of the first incarnation -
> the 2nd incarnation had its moments, but never matched the intensity of
> the first go round.

So true. The first few Utopia records were tour-de-forces of prog rock,
especially the first one.
The 2nd Utopia had its moments, indeed, and one could extract 2-4 tracks
from each of their albums and compile one hell of a fantastic CDR
compilation. ;-)

Jeff

Swanky Mode

Nov 25, 2005, 2:19:21 AM11/25/05

That's right about where I got off the bus with the second Utopia,
back in the day. I kept buying the records, but none of them had the
same impact on me as that first Todd Rundgren's Utopia album.

I also got to see the first band / album live, which was absolutely
wonderful - I remember it clearly to this day. Then a few years
later, the 4-piece group came to town. I still wasn't as interested
in the new lineup, but I was very curious about the whole pyramid
stage set & everything else I'd been reading about. As it turned out,
they weren't able to fit all that stuff into the little shitty theater
here, so the whole show was stripped-down, the sound sucked, we had
crappy seats, etc, etc. This added to my disappointment with the
"new" Utopia.

As the years passed, all the "techno" Utopia albums grew on me, and by
the time they got to POV, they were back to "unbelievably fantastic"
in my book. I love that album a lot. Maybe they got better as they
went along, or maybe I just had to catch up. Probably some
combination of the two. And I'll be the first to agree that Kevin
Ellman is one-of-a-kind, but man, Willie sounds pretty damn good on
"Zen Machine" (to name just one). :o)

Anyway - thanks for letting me shiver & sigh for awhile.

James, just passing through.

MR THE PINK FLOYD

Nov 25, 2005, 12:31:36 PM11/25/05
UTOPIA=RULES
CARS=SUXORS

"Swanky Mode" <ta...@heads.com> wrote in message

B Fawlty

Nov 30, 2005, 2:56:00 PM11/30/05
<<Uh...I'm "one bitter dude"?>>

Well, yes.

<<I have not had the luxury of earning a living based on my "musical
ethics". I have had to earn a living based on giving people what they
want.>>

You seem bitter because Todd never lived up to the expectations that you had
for yourself many, many years ago. You're a fine musician, I've heard your
music. "Giving the people what they want" in a performance sure beats the
alternative, quitting playing and watching somebody else do it. I know,
I've been playing for 32 years. We're lucky that we get paid for what we
love doing.

<<Actually... I haven't felt compelled to see him perform since about
1985.>>

Man, if I felt that way about any musician, I surely wouldn't be posting in
a newsgroup dedicated to them twenty years later.

I've seen good Todd/bad Todd performances since I first saw him at his
Birthday show in '74. There's always something at each show that reminds me
why I continue to listen.

<<Nobody wanted to hire us... unless we threw in some Cars tunes!>>

Yes, Guido, my band also covered "Just what I needed" back in the day. I
enjoyed it, though.

Guido

Dec 4, 2005, 10:49:34 PM12/4/05
B Fawlty wrote:

>>> You seem bitter because Todd never lived up to the expectations that you had
for yourself many, many years ago.<<<

Uhh...really? Wow. Thank goodness a complete stranger... who does not
know anything about me can make this diagnosis. You, sir, are a God.

I now worship YOU.

All praise the dude with the screen name from a cult Brit TV show!

>>> "Giving the people what they want" in a performance sure beats the
> alternative, quitting playing and watching somebody else do it.<<<

Uhh... what?

paid for what we
love doing.<<<<

Uhhh... huh? Sorry.

I don't "get lucky". I "get paid".

>>> Man, if I felt that way about any musician, I surely wouldn't be posting in
a newsgroup dedicated to them twenty years later.<<<

Man, free country.

Look it up.

Public forum... all that. Welcome to the Internet, Mr. Gore!

>>>I've seen good Todd/bad Todd performances since I first saw him at his
Birthday show in '74. There's always something at each show that
reminds me why I continue to listen.<<<

Aww, c'mon Doctor Freud. I have MANY great memories as well.

Memories, mind you.

Repressed, evidently.

>>> Yes, Guido, my band also covered "Just what I needed" back in the day.<<<

What, no Todd tunes?!?!?!? Chicken! Blaspheme!! LIAR!!!!!!

No self respecting Todd fan would perform a Cars tune "back in the
day"!!!!!!!

It was Love In Action, Trapped, CIJTY or bust!

LOL!

>>>I enjoyed it, though.<<<

"Nuff said.

Yo, Basil! Please post a response quicker than this one. It's hard to
keep up if you don't post a snappier retort!

Cheers.

All in good fun!

B Fawlty

Dec 7, 2005, 12:46:32 PM12/7/05
<<Yo, Basil! Please post a response quicker than this one. It's hard to
keep up if you don't post a snappier retort!

Cheers.

All in good fun!>>

Sorry, you're right. I only check in about once a week.
The band I was in did CIJTY and Hello It's Me, both as concessions to me
because they wanted to keep me in the band for my singing (not my drinking).
It was a rock top 40 band with a "chick" singer, ugh!

Yes, all in good fun, Guido.

Cheers indeed!

Nil

Dec 7, 2005, 2:26:13 PM12/7/05
On 07 Dec 2005, "B Fawlty" <n...@no.com> wrote in

> The band I was in did CIJTY and Hello It's Me, both as concessions
> to me because they wanted to keep me in the band for my singing
> (not my drinking). It was a rock top 40 band with a "chick"
> singer, ugh!

CIJTY and IWHMAD here.

I tried to get us to do "Is It My Name" and "Death of Rock and Roll",
but I couldn't drum up much support, for some reason.

VAULT-...@webtv.net

Dec 7, 2005, 3:45:00 PM12/7/05
Back in the early 80's, the band I was in did "You Make Me Crazy",
"Hammer In My Heart", & "Princess Of The Universe". These songs were
picked out by our singer. He was more of a Utopia fan than a Todd fan. I
don't think we could have performed the Todd/Utopia tunes I would have
picked because we were more Techno-Pop than Prog.---Steve

B Fawlty

Dec 7, 2005, 9:25:32 PM12/7/05
<<I tried to get us to do "Is It My Name" and "Death of Rock and Roll",
but I couldn't drum up much support, for some reason.>>

LMAO!!!

Why not try "Rape of the Young"? :-)

Guido

Dec 7, 2005, 11:16:34 PM12/7/05
Wow. Now y'all got me thinking.
I have played the following TR/Utopia tunes from 75-81 or so:
Love of the Common Man, Black Maria, Couldn't I, Izzit My Name, Love In
Action, One World, Lysistrada, Road To Utopia, Utopia Theme (complete
w/sampled synthi loop in breakdown!) Sunset Blvd. (Instrumentally!) and
a Gawd awful three piece version of All The Children Sing.

ROFLMAO! I have tapes of most of these....I should burn some discs! "My
Feeble Todd Tribute"!

I know I've left something out. Ooh, shoot.... Long Flowing Robe!

I recall the night we did the Utopia Theme (the middle part.... as a
joke, actually) this girl named Maria, a RABID Rundgren fan, burst into
tears when we got to the guitar solo. Pretty interesting to watch that.
:)

Ahh...the good old days. When we couldn't get hired doing Todd covers!
Lol...

Guido

Steve Burdett

Dec 8, 2005, 4:06:01 AM12/8/05

Funny, I always thought of You Make Me Crazy as a Cars like song. I wonder
if The New Cars will perform it? (although as I think its a Wilcox song,
maybe not).

Steve

Steve Burdett
Computer Associate - Law Faculty
e-mail: sr...@cam.ac.uk - phone 30073

VAULT-...@webtv.net

Dec 8, 2005, 2:26:33 PM12/8/05
"You Make Me Crazy" really didn't translate well in a live situation. It
does have that quirky rhythm to it, so it is like something off Candy-O
or Panorama.

I saw Utopia headline an outdoor concert at Buckeye Lake (in Ohio) back
in 1979. The Cars were on the bill doing Candy-O stuff. The others on
the bill were Cheap Trick, Eddie Money, and a regional favorite called
Roadmaster.

Todd produced some tracks for Roadmaster, then produced Cheap Trick
several years later, in 1983 (Next Position Please). It would have been
interesting to hear a Cars album produced by Todd. I hope they do some
of the later Cars songs like "Strap Me In" from "Door To Door". It would
also be cool to hear Todd trade off lead guitar licks with Elliot
Easton. I always liked his style, and it would go good with Todd's, IMO.

BTW, during the show in 1979, Todd came out and performed with Cheap
Trick on "Day Tripper", then Rick Neilsen came out to play a song with
Utopia (I forget the tune...mght have been "Love In Action").

Most people don't know that Rick Neilsen and bassist Tom Petersen
replaced Todd and Carson in The Nazz, after they quit. I have some
bootleg recordings from that period. The Nazz were doing Rick Neilsen
songs that appeared later on Cheap Trick's 2nd album (So Good To See
You). Later, Todd used some of Rick's songs when he co-produced Rick
Derringer's "Guitars and Women" album.---Steve