Tour recordings?

thevince

May 4, 2006, 9:23:59 AM5/4/06
It doesn't look like they're recording the shows this tour. Anyone
know why? All the 2006 shows on theymightbegiants.com have "not
available" under the download heading.

Tisher

May 4, 2006, 1:15:58 PM5/4/06
I bet it's because they are premiering a bunch of new songs, and don't
want them to be available before the album is out.

nixonismyhero

May 4, 2006, 1:50:12 PM5/4/06
i'll disagree with that interpretation. why would they release severe
tire damage when they did? plenty of those songs appeared later in
studio form.

how long has it been since the tour started? a week? give them a few
days to "master" the show and upload it. they are no phish (with 24
hour turn around for downloads).

i would love a copy of the show i saw last week at sonar in baltimore.
but so far, nothing.

anyway, if anyone has bootlegs of these shows, let me know. i will
trade or whatnot. but not buy them, as that is illegal and immoral.

chris

Darangutan

May 4, 2006, 4:29:15 PM5/4/06
nixonismyhero" wrote in message

> i'll disagree with that interpretation. why would they release severe
> tire damage when they did? plenty of those songs appeared later in
> studio form.

I can only think of "Another First Kiss" which is so different from its STD
counterpart that it barely supports what you just said. There was the studio
version of "They Got Lost" which appeared soon after on 'Long Tall Weekend',
but that had actually been recorded BEFORE the release of LTW (it was a
reject from 'Factory Showroom'). So at the point it appeared on STD it was
probably the opinion of the band that it would never be released (and LTW
was pretty much a rarities compilation). Have I missed anything?

> how long has it been since the tour started? a week? give them a few
> days to "master" the show and upload it. they are no phish (with 24
> hour turn around for downloads).

But this I can get behind. I really hope they have recorded them. I suppose
it all depends on how financially successful the sales were last year. If it
is worth the effort recording them, then I'm sure they will do it again this
tour. After all, They know that fans are going to record them anyway if they
don't!

Dar

nixonismyhero

May 4, 2006, 5:00:50 PM5/4/06
well, we know they record heavily, as is evidenced by their unlimited
project. as to how much will ever be available, that is another
question altogether.

as a reply to live recordings, i may have overstated that a bit, but
"battle" does come up often. and they are frequently retooling and
modifying songs, so the idea that a song appeared then reappeared
drastically different was my only point. multiple versions of tunes, as
well as improved and improv-ed live is a staple of tmbg. think live spy
or istanbul. very different than studio/original versions. so, even if
they are played live, arrangements and whatnot are bound to evolve.

chris

makebase

May 4, 2006, 5:38:30 PM5/4/06
Darangutan wrote:

> But this I can get behind. I really hope they have recorded them. I suppose
> it all depends on how financially successful the sales were last year. If it
> is worth the effort recording them, then I'm sure they will do it again this
> tour. After all, They know that fans are going to record them anyway if they
> don't!

Don't they record most of their shows anyway? It seems to me that I
remember venue recording capabilities being a requirement of their
rider.

aliste

May 4, 2006, 5:39:14 PM5/4/06
nixonismyhero <chris...@gmail.com> wrote:

>how long has it been since the tour started? a week? give them a few
>days to "master" the show and upload it. they are no phish (with 24
>hour turn around for downloads).

I dunno, there's been a lag sometimes in the past, but this is the
first time they've indicated "not available" for shows that haven't
happened yet. So that makes me feel a bit pessimistic about the
possibility of recordings this time around.

Alice
--
"like Flansy in a soda can"

Jay G.

May 5, 2006, 2:08:59 PM5/5/06
On 4 May 2006 14:38:30 -0700, makebase wrote:

> Don't they record most of their shows anyway? It seems to me that I
> remember venue recording capabilities being a requirement of their
> rider.

They didn't used to. If they did, they wouldn't have had to rely on fan
recordings for the Planet of the Apes tracks.

-Jay

Jay G.

May 5, 2006, 5:01:50 PM5/5/06
On 4 May 2006 14:00:50 -0700, nixonismyhero wrote:

> as a reply to live recordings, i may have overstated that a bit, but
> "battle" does come up often. and they are frequently retooling and
> modifying songs, so the idea that a song appeared then reappeared
> drastically different was my only point. multiple versions of tunes, as
> well as improved and improv-ed live is a staple of tmbg. think live spy
> or istanbul.

Yes, but those are all baackwards to what you first suggested. Fans are
eager to attend or listen to live shows where songs they already know are
played differently. It's pretty much the reason for live shows. Fans are
much less eager to buy studio album full of songs they've already heard.
For better or worse, fans prefer a studio album to be full of "new"
material.

The example would be the Mink Car fiasco, where fans here and elsewhere
complained about the album consisting largely of songs that had been played
live for as much as 5 years previous to its release. Now, there was a good
reason for it, since TMBG had been in-between labels for that period and
hadn't released a studio album in the interim, but many people still were
disappointed.

Worse yet, a lot of the songs had new arrangements and the like, which some
people *hated*, having heard and grown accustomed to the live or demo
versions of the songs. It's one thing to hear at a live show a new version
you may or may not like, it's another to have a "definitive" version of a
song be the one you don't like. And that's what a studio album is
considered, definitive.

-Jay

Message has been deleted

thevince

May 5, 2006, 11:59:02 PM5/5/06
>>I bet it's because they are premiering a bunch of new songs, and don't
want them to be available before the album is out.

I'm pretty sure some of the ABCs songs were on the download site before
the album was out, though.

Jay G.

May 6, 2006, 12:02:26 AM5/6/06

The album was finished at that point, and the website was intended as a
preview of a soon to be released album.

With these live shows, the album some of the new songs may appear on is as
of yet unrecorded, and it may be over a year before it's released, if that.

-Jay

thevince

May 6, 2006, 12:33:56 AM5/6/06

I was actually referring to some of the live downloads having ABCs
songs. I think Fake-Believe and Alphabet of Nations were on a few
before the album came out, but I see what you mean about the album
probably being finished at the time.

scratch

May 6, 2006, 4:48:10 AM5/6/06

those live versions were pretty close to the studio versions, no?

-scratch

Jay G.

May 6, 2006, 7:50:52 AM5/6/06
On 5 May 2006 21:33:56 -0700, thevince wrote:

> I was actually referring to some of the live downloads having ABCs
> songs. I think Fake-Believe and Alphabet of Nations were on a few
> before the album came out, but I see what you mean about the album
> probably being finished at the time.

I just looked at their live downloads, and the first show that they have
available that lists any ABC songs is on 3/26/05 at the Belly Up Tavern in
San Diego, or over a month after the album had been released.

They did play the songs you mentioned a few times beforehand., but on the
Glasgow and Leeds shows the song is listed as "unknowable" or "preview"
without being called by name, and at the Tucson show the songs were hidden
in tracks for other songs. So they were clearly taking precautions on
keeping these live versions "on the down low."

-Jay

CapitalQ

May 7, 2006, 7:56:53 AM5/7/06

Though it could've just been a marketing tool...it got me to buy the
Glasgow show. ;)

aliste

May 7, 2006, 3:17:58 PM5/7/06

Okay, I asked Dan Miller about this last night and he said that
they are recording the shows, but they're not planning on selling
them, because of the new songs. They might put out a compilation
at the end of the tour though, since they're brought out a lot of
old chestnuts that people might like to hear.

nixonismyhero

May 17, 2006, 3:18:35 PM5/17/06
hmn. interesting reason for not selling them. if i recall correctly,
the spine tour was sold, even though they played lots of new songs
there. i was listening to the july 4th show yesterday and it had a
bunch of new songs. so, if they have a problem with it now, its a
change of policy.

hopefully, after the new album is released they'll make this tour
available.

chris